Paul McShane

Luke1995

He is currently in a player/coach role. Once he stops playing, it's possible the club would offer him some kind of staff role maybe ?

Not saying he would be exactly like Mckenna as Kieran had alot of experience coaching in the youth system.

Just wondering if the club has a plan for the people who coach in the academy.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He is currently in a player/coach role. Once he stops playing, it's possible the club would offer him some kind of staff role maybe ?

Not saying he would be exactly like Mckenna as Kieran had alot of experience coaching in the youth system.

Just wondering if the club has a plan for the people who coach in the academy.
But do you think he's good at coaching for some reason? Or are you just saying we like to hand out freebies to our good old boys?

Luke1995

But do you think he's good at coaching for some reason? Or are you just saying we like to hand out freebies to our good old boys?
I'm saying there is a pattern in the way we give new contracts to players in the first team and to people in coaching or director roles, like Carrick, Fletcher and in the past, Nicky Butt.

I don't think it's possible to tell if someone is good at coaching based on academy results. But that role can prepare someone to be a first team assistant coach. At least, based on the path Mckenna took.

TwoSheds

I'm saying there is a pattern in the way we give new contracts to players in the first team and to people in coaching or director roles, like Carrick, Fletcher and in the past, Nicky Butt.

I don't think it's possible to tell if someone is good at coaching based on academy results. But that role can prepare someone to be a first team assistant coach. At least, based on the path Mckenna took.
McKenna came in highly rated from Spurs though, he wasn't a random old boy we signed for "in-game coaching".

TwoSheds

Don't we do that anyway?
Well the answer is I don't think we know. Maybe these guys are all doing a great job. I was just wondering whether the poster thought McShane had showed some particular promise as a coach or something.