Paul Merson - Is his job to be a prick?

SAred

Lee Martin Scores , Sir Alex legacy begins
I have never heard so much crap come out of one person's mouth as Paul Merson's mouth. He is a useless pundit yet still has a well-paid job, so my only conclusion is that he is paid to be a controversial prick.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
He's a sacking away from relapsing and definite death. Sky don't want the fall out from that.

They utilise his idiocy for entertainment, but it's got to a point where you can't even laugh at him and his views.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Was just going to start a thread, then found this.

Is he just employed to wind up United fans? If I hear the phrase papering over cracks one more time I'm going to flip.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Paul Merson
Phil Thompson
Steve McManaman
Jim Beglin
Niall Quinn

List of absolute thundergowls in no particular order.

HTH.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Paul Merson
Phil Thompson
Steve McManaman
Jim Beglin
Niall Quinn

List of absolute thundergowls in no particular order.

HTH.
Charlie Nicholas and Matt le Tissier too. The whole of that old Soccer Saturday lot are just grim. Despite their job being to watch football, they know so little about it. Le Tissier seems to be a conspiracy theorist lunatic these days too.

I can tolerate Beglin though. I find him relatively inoffensive, and he's a regular fixture on US streams I tend to watch.

El Zoido

And the worst of the worst - Robbie Savage. Total twat.
Ahh he ain’t that bad. A bit annoying, a bit hyperactive, but seems fine. The others are aggressively opinionated and spout shit, whereas Savage is basically like listening to Sky fan zone. I think he’s really inoffensive on commentary, it’s not like Merson sitting round the table on Soccer Saturday talking absolute shite but acting like he’s some sort of authority or expert.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
I’m sure he’s lobbed Seaman from time to time in training, so, yes he’s a prick.

MayfieldsFinest

In fairness, the guy is as thick as shite. As Vinnie Jones once said (and I paraphrase) a prick has clarity of intent and a singular focus...... I'm surprised we don't see Paul Merson try to catch dust falling on Soccer Saturday.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Just googled some of the stupid stuff he’s said and I found this bit:

Speaking on TalkSport, the former Arsenal man was irate about Hull City's appointment of Marco Silva as their new manager. The fact that Silva won the Greek Superleague with Olympiacos certainly didn't impress Merse much.

“He's won the league at Olympiakos? I could've won the league at Olympiakos!” he exclaimed. But it was the fact that Hull weren't giving British managers an opportunity that really irked the Sky man.

“I’m not having it! You can give me stick on that. There’s enough British managers out there, come on...off the top of my head, why not Thierry Henry? He’s done his badges, he’s a legend in the game, he’s ripped up the Premier League. If he walked into Hull City he’d give them a lift."

Yes, that's right. Proud Frenchman Thierry Henry was Merson's suggestion for a Brit taking over at the KCOM Stadium. We shit you not. Never change, Paul - never change.

Wilt

Sky knew what he was like before hiring him .…so probably very pleased with the WUM crap he comes out with.

youngrell

Everyone I know that has met him has said he's as sound as they come. I think he's just thick as shite to be honest, and has a huge grudge against United.

Leg-End

Does anyone genuinely listen to opinions of his like anymore and actually gain anything from it? If anyone told me they valued Paul Merson's opinion on football I simply wouldn't bother conversing about anything with them, let alone football.

KingCavani

His reaction to Pochettino to Southampton was like that. And then there was his famous Marco Silva rant.

He’s not really subtle in his ridiculous agenda to push for English managers. If Brexit were a person…

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Merson is an alcoholic, impulsive gambler. Not sure he is a great pundit but I also think it is good that he has an outlet/job.

Personally, I don't agree with all his views, but equally I don't think he says anything to wind anyone up/with malice. Additionally, I reckon if you met him in real life he would probably come across as down to earth, even if a little over the top at times.

All in all, I don't really have an issue with him as there are a lot worse people in better jobs than him.

RedDevilRoshi

His reaction to Pochettino to Southampton was like that. And then there was his famous Marco Silva rant.

He’s not really subtle in his ridiculous agenda to push for English managers. If Brexit were a person…
Yep, I wouldn’t take his thoughts and opinions that seriously as he chats absolute horse manure more often than not.

He still rambles on that Ronaldo was a very poor signing for us despite the fact if it wasn’t for CR7 we would be out of the Champions League right now and even further down the league table without him.

I remember he said the following when City were going to sign KDB:

"Manchester City paying so much money for Kevin De Bruyne is an absolute joke.

I thought he was out of his depth at Chelsea. He never once went out on the pitch and looked like he belonged there. I don't think he could handle it - and now he's going to City for about three times what Wolfsburg paid for him. Not for me.

He'll be on the bench at City for a start, because you can't change a winning team. Who does he get in ahead of? No-one. They're all playing too well.

But he didn't like it when he was on the bench at Chelsea and he ended up getting bombed out because Jose Mourinho questioned his attitude.
Okay, he's had a good season in Germany. But there are only a few decent clubs there really, aren't there? It's not the Premier League.
I just think their money could have been better spent elsewhere. They need a forward. Aguero and Bony are not enough."

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
In answering the OP question, it can't be. Because that'll mean he's been a success, and Merse doesn't do success.

tomaldinho1

There was a period where you could make money going off the opposite of what he said for accas, he’s got a terrible eye for football predictions so, if anything, him being negative about Ragnick makes me more confident than I was originally.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Merson is an alcoholic, impulsive gambler. Not sure he is a great pundit but I also think it is good that he has an outlet/job.

Personally, I don't agree with all his views, but equally I don't think he says anything to wind anyone up/with malice. Additionally, I reckon if you met him in real life he would probably come across as down to earth, even if a little over the top at times.

All in all, I don't really have an issue with him as there are a lot worse people in better jobs than him.
and he is a die hard Chelsea fan so i'll let him off. Charlie Nicholas i couldnt stand on Soccer Saturday though. His bias was out of this world for Arsenal, and Thommo's was for Lpool; but he toned it down a bit toward the end. These days, Carragher has taken that award

Red_Manc_M15

You know what does my head in every time this tit or someone like him ask why are United going for an intermin manager. Ermmm maybe because our targets ETH and Poch are already in jobs. Not hard to fathom is it?! Also Ralf will be moving upstairs after the intermin bit maybe unless we win 20 odd games in the league and win the CL too. I'd be happy with just playing faster, better football until the end of season.

Chairman Steve

I share and agree with that cynical view that he’s been kept because gambling and drugs and Sky don’t want any potential bad fallout from it. He was probably the worst pundit out of all the Soccer Saturday pundits that they culled, so anyone with half a brain can deduce what’s up.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I just knew that if we appointed from outside of the Premier League, he would be mashing his hands into a keyboard in a rage. He probably thinks we should've given to Mark Hughes.

His agenda against non-domestic managers seems to spill over into non-domestic players too. He's had similar rants about De Bruyne, Martial, and others. Not sure why he's always furious about it. Maybe it's because bringing in players and managers from overseas makes his job harder, and he has to do more than just watch Super Sunday to gather the information required to do his job.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Having met the guy, I can attest that he's a lovely guy and off the booze.

But what he's saying in the link is right, Rangnick hasn't been in the frame for any major club, and United is a lot different from taking an underdog to a better position.

Doesn't mean he'll fail however.

Blood Mage

He's useless at his job and an extremely bitter man and his employers know it, but they also know he'd drink and gamble himself to death if they sack him.