Paul Merson Pundit Thread

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Please tell me somebody put him in his place

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Why not sell Payet for £50m and buy Messi for £2.5m? Come on Merse, you're better than this.

Moiraine

:houllier: :houllier: :houllier:

Did you just hear it ?
Redcafe was all over it yesterday, where were you yesterday?

And by the way, this is the normal standard of sky pundits and all the pensioners on their "Football Special" only decent man is La-Tissier.

VanGaalEra

Did you just hear it ?
Redcafe was all over it yesterday, where were you yesterday?

And by the way, this is the normal standard of sky pundits and all the pensioners on their "Football Special" only decent man is La-Tissier.
Obviously not on the Caf at the time.

PhilMcD79

To be fair to him, his game by game predictions this season have been quite good.
This I agree with. While he is clearly a few sandwiches short of a picnic, he does at least seem to put some thought and consideration into his predictions and gives reasons for his predictions even if they are sometimes nonsense. At least he tries which is more than can be said for Lawrenson and his predictions, oh two big teams are playing so that's an automatic 1-1 with no rationale as to why.

RORY65

What's he saying?
It was so predictable that once Hull appointed a foreign manager, one that they (and, in fairness, I) wouldn't know much about that the Soccer Saturday Little Englanders would start bleating about how "he doesn't know our league", "what about the great young English managers (who are these people by the way?)" and Merson even suggested that he would win the Greek league despite the fact that he got sacked by fecking Wallsall.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
It was so predictable that once Hull appointed a foreign manager, one that they (and, in fairness, I) wouldn't know much about that the Soccer Saturday Little Englanders would start bleating about how "he doesn't know our league", "what about the great young English managers (who are these people by the way?)" and Merson even suggested that he would win the Greek league despite the fact that he got sacked by fecking Wallsall.
Thanks.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I'd be surprised if he could pronounce any Greek name

Dobba

I was waiting for one of them to say "We voted Leave, Jeff!"

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Predicted Everton to win the FA Cup earlier today. Just got knocked out by Leicester

cyberman

Predicted Everton to win the FA Cup earlier today. Just got knocked out by Leicester
When they get to the 5th/6th round they can rest players in the league which is a huge advantage.
I don't think Merson knows how cup competitions work

Acole9

Outstanding
The cream always rises to the top Jeff. I remember when he said no one had a better left foot than Chris Brunt in world football.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
He genuinely has an IQ <40. He can barely speak, and it's infuriating listening to him pronounce players name, most notably Willian.

He calls him Will.I.Am. If it's an ongoing joke, then it's bloody annoying, and he pronounces Mbokani as Mbikini.

Tit.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Had a meal at hotel football a couple of years ago (before arsenal beat United with welbeck scoring for arse) and Merson was brought out to speak in the restaurant at dinner before the game. I thought it was going to be a right disaster but he was fairly eloquent (for him). A far cry from the total bullshit to spouts on sky sports

MemphisDepay

Supports
Rangers and Celtic
As much as he makes a right fool of himself constantly he's definitely entertaining. He's honestly like the footballing punditry wet dream of Nigel Farage who constantly comes out with nothing other than verbal diarrhoea who mascarades as the people's British pundit. If he can't pronounce a foreign name he just says it anyway completely wrong. It's not even the difficult names, I've watched Gillette soccer Saturday quite a lot and he pronounces Willian as Will I am. He doesn't even attempt to make it sound correct, he just says Will I Am as if he's talking about the rapper.

Edit - just realised someone has just said this above me. Oh well, it's that stupid that it's worth mentioning again.

Last edited:

witchtrials

it's infuriating listening to him pronounce players name, most notably Willian.

He calls him Will.I.Am. If it's an ongoing joke, then it's bloody annoying, and he pronounces Mbokani as Mbikini.
Wouldn't surprise me, like the ex-pro pundits from rival clubs who for some reason find it hard to remember not to call our keeper "de Gayer".

Lentwood

Merse is great, having a pop at him is like kicking an over enthusiastic dog

I know he is fairly anti-Utd and pretty much anti-everyone bar Arsenal but he is quite fair and funny with the rants he goes on

Tbf he called out the Martinez and Stones farce brilliantly last year

Bojan11

Merse is great, having a pop at him is like kicking an over enthusiastic dog

I know he is fairly anti-Utd and pretty much anti-everyone bar Arsenal but he is quite fair and funny with the rants he goes on

Tbf he called out the Martinez and Stones farce brilliantly last year
He's biased towards City too.