Paul Mitchell - Sporting Director

kidbob

Be a good move. Would this mean Poch is more likely? He worked with him at Southampton and Spurs I think.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Yeah I'm hoping the relationship with Poch soured and so we get Ten Hag. To be honest I would just be glad to have him and Rangnick upstairs. Breath of fresh air and no more deals for Jones and Mata and the gang.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I don't get it, would he replace Murtough or Fletcher or be an addition to them? If we had a football director, assistant football director, technical director, Rangnick and a "Sporting director" as well, how would we know who the hell is doing what?

CM

I do wonder if this guy is as good as his internet reputation is. Not trying to put a dampner on it if we do end up getting him but I get the feeling Football Manager and the like have enhanced his reputation a bit.

Are that many people really aware of his influence when most of his work is likely done behind the scenes?

sparx99

I do wonder if this guy is as good as his internet reputation is. Not trying to put a dampner on it if we do end up getting him but I get the feeling Football Manager and the like have enhanced his reputation a bit.

Are that many people really aware of his influence when most of his work is likely done behind the scenes?
No, the average football fun or tv pundit has no idea who he is.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

I have no idea of his accomplishments

Telsim

I'm guessing there is a reason he is getting kicked out of Monaco? So why would we want him again?

RedChisel

I don't get it, would he replace Murtough or Fletcher or be an addition to them? If we had a football director, assistant football director, technical director, Rangnick and a "Sporting director" as well, how would we know who the hell is doing what?
Best guess is Murtough is overseeing the sporting side and is the Glazers man in there. Paul Mitchell with Ragnick as special advisor below him and then Fletcher as the connection between dressing room/training ground and Mitchell/Rangnick.

Who knows with the Glazers though.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Paul Mitchell was the one who discovered loads of good players for Tottenham right?

Relevated

He has recruited some huge players in the past for the clubs he's been at.

Relevated

Yeah I'm hoping the relationship with Poch soured and so we get Ten Hag. To be honest I would just be glad to have him and Rangnick upstairs. Breath of fresh air and no more deals for Jones and Mata and the gang.
It soured with Levy, not poch

CraftySoAndSo

I'm guessing there is a reason he is getting kicked out of Monaco? So why would we want him again?
They're doing a personnel overhaul following a period of under performing which includes being dumped out of Europe by Braga during the week.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
he’s bald. he is the chosen one. our very own fraud.

Adamsk7

Exciting news. He’s perfect for us. If we get him and Ralph stays tbh I’d be excited with both Ten Hag and Poch in that instance. It’s a strong spine in our management team

Flying high

On a simple level, he looks far more likeable the woody.

This role requires good personal relationships, woodward was so clearly a smarmy little shit that I can't imagine anyone looking forward to meeting him apart from for the size of his cheque book.

macheda14

This role requires good personal relationships, woodward was so clearly a smarmy little shit that I can't imagine anyone looking forward to meeting him apart from for the size of his cheque book.
I mean it’s actually reported that Woodward was a really nice guy and quite well liked. Both Andy Mitten and Laurie Whitwell attested to the fact whilst also disparaging him for his legacy.

Skills

Snitch
Exciting that we are bringing more footballing people into these executive roles. Murtough, Mitchell and Rangnick would be nice and a step in the right direction.
It's also a sign that the club are finally acknowledging the scale of the operation at a club of our size. The structure needs to be in place for the wheels to keep turning regardless of who the manager is

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Best guess is Murtough is overseeing the sporting side and is the Glazers man in there. Paul Mitchell with Ragnick as special advisor below him and then Fletcher as the connection between dressing room/training ground and Mitchell/Rangnick.

Who knows with the Glazers though.
Yep, that's probably the set-up that we 'should' be looking for. Although Murtough and Mitchell might be getting in each others way unless Mitchell focuses purely on the men's team and older youth groups, while Murtough is in the over-view position with Mitchell, a similar person for the women's team, and somebody focused on the younger youth groups all reporting to him.

In theory Mitchell is the obvious candidate if we wanted someone in that role. He's worked with and has a good relationship with both Rangnick and one of the two managers who are supposed to be on our short-list (Pochettino), he seems to have done a good job at Southampton, Spurs and Leipzig (not sure about Monaco but perhaps not since he's being let go), and I'm fairly sure he's supposed to be a Utd fan.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

He doesn’t work in the same position as Woodward.

“This role” what role? They do two completely different jobs.

You don’t even know what jobs they do but know about their personalities?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Helped sign some good players for Spurs 7/8 years ago, also a lot of duds. Not sure that makes him any use to us.

wolvored

Rio, Evra have all came out with scathing comments about the way he treated them. I don't think he's nice at all.
Yes I read that as well. Full of own self importance he must come across as

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Rio, Evra have all came out with scathing comments about the way he treated them. I don't think he's nice at all.
Evra is a covid denier, uses homophobic slurs, has the emotional capacity of a toddler, spreads false rumours on national tv, and abandoned his wife and children revealing it on social media, and had a secret family for years.

A scathing review from a scumbag like him is likely a positive in my book.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Evra is a covid denier, uses homophobic slurs, has the emotional capacity of a toddler, spreads false rumours on national tv, and abandoned his wife and children revealing it on social media, and had a secret family for years.

What about Rio? Also the how LVG was let go? And how he thought he could run the football side of things despite knowing feck all. He's deluded and a cnut, despite what some journalists say.

dinostar77

Helped sign some good players for Spurs 7/8 years ago, also a lot of duds. Not sure that makes him any use to us.
This, too many "sporting directors" dine out for years on the discovers of the club scouts. Then they move club and people wonder where their midas touch has gone. Its called a fluke or luck or riding on a scouts coat tails.

macheda14

Weird because Woodward and Evra were pictured together quite a lot after all that. Someone can be a shit at their job and a twat of a business man. But again by all accounts people weren’t ‘dreading meeting him’ as the other poster said.

And yes ‘some journalists’ is a good way to put down two journos with very strong links to the club who are also willing to roundly criticise Woodward, just painting an accurate picture around how someone is perceived by their peers.

Elcabron

Whilst I know he is a volatile character, I didn't know any of that.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Will he come in as a surbodinate to Murtough...I am not so sure.

Mainoldo

What about Rio? Also the how LVG was let go? And how he thought he could run the football side of things despite knowing feck all. He's deluded and a cnut, despite what some journalists say.
Everyone seems to love him as a person (add Gary Lineker). He’s just not very good at his job and doesn’t listen to advice well. That was the main message.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Surely would mean 100% move for Poch given he followed him to Spurs from Southampton.