Paul Mitchell - Sporting Director

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yeah this is my understanding of it, after Spurs gave him the boot too. From what I can tell he was very impressive at Southampton then hasn’t done anything of any real note since, depending on if you credit him with bringing Son to Spurs (which if memory serves it was widely reported at the time that it was Poch pushing for that one)
I could be wrong but my understanding is that he only changed job at Monaco, he was the head of recruitment while Les Reed was the de facto football director, he got a similar job at Tottenham since they have/had someone doing Les Reed's job but I forgot his name, someone else than Levy. He then had a similar job at Leipzig and finally got a DOF job at Monaco.

Corridor of Uncertainty

It never ceases to amaze me how this club are willing to spend hundreds of millions on players, and then refuse to spend a fraction of that cost making sure everything behind the scenes is set up as it should be.

For half the price of Telles, we could completely restructure the recruitment at this club from top to bottom, so we don't make ridiculously expensive mistakes like Wan-Bissaka and Maguire to begin with.

Short-termism at it's finest.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
The charlatans don't want serious football people showing them up and taking their power away
How strange that considering Woodward is gone and Arnold is handing ALL footballing matters over to Murtough.
Almost if you’re complaining for complaining sake and not seeing the bigger picture

Gordon Godot

It never ceases to amaze me how this club are willing to spend hundreds of millions on players, and then refuse to spend a fraction of that cost making sure everything behind the scenes is set up as it should be.

For half the price of Telles, we could completely restructure the recruitment at this club from top to bottom, so we don't make ridiculously expensive mistakes like Wan-Bissaka and Maguire to begin with.

Spot on. And the muppets on here defend them, Fletcher being a case in point. Apparently as he is young its not his fault he is inexperienced. Maybe he get back in the youth set up, earn a coaching badge and prove his worth before being considered for a promotion. In the interim we have a well experienced professional, for a fraction of one of our stupid signings. When will we ever learn...

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Rangnick hasn't worked as an everyday DOF, Mitchell record is far from stellar since leaving Southampton, in particular as a DOF. On paper Murtough is as qualified as you would want and Fletcher is definitely an unknown quantity but that's true for anyone that is young.
He did well with Tottenham after leaving Southampton didn't he? Rangnick has worked closely with Mitchell so I trust his judgement re. the Leipzig stint.

No idea on the Monaco front though. Heart it went a bit tits up.

MUW4Eva

Not tk mention the structure, or lack thereof in the scouting department solely dedicated to the women's team.

We are desperate for someone to come kn and help with the structure there, and also a dedicated Director of Football for the women's team.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Its insane to see the mental gymnastics from people convincing themselves Murtough and Fletcher are more qualified for the job than Rangnick and Mitchell. Never knew there would be a fanclub for Murtough of all people.
Well for a start there Murtough is actually MORE qualified to do the job than Mitchell. Plus there’s a post on here literally on page 4 explaining why Mitchell isn’t this saviour that people thinks he is.

Mitchell has done well as a 'head of recruitment' in his career thus far and isn't doing very well at all as the head of football operations at Monaco, hence a lot of their fans are not happy with him.

Mitchell had no experience of running/overseeing multiple departments on the football side at a high level for a period of time before he was given the Monaco gig. The likes of Murtough (United), Ashworth(Brighton), Webber (Norwich), Crocker(Soton) McDermott (Spurs), all had one thing in common before they became the head of football operations at their respective clubs/associations, and that was that they had a lot of experience being the ones who were directors at academy level. Which meant they had to make hiring/firing calls and oversee the development of multiple departments beneath the first team, which was controlled by the first team manager.

Mitchell came into prominence when he was working under the Soton DoF, Les Reed. And it was Les Reed who brought Mitchell and Pochettino to Southampton. Mitchell was the Head of recruitment at Southampton and reported to the DoF Les Reed. At Spurs, Mitchell was also the head of recruitment and reported to either Levy or Pochettino in a manager led approach to the first team. And even when Mitchell joined RB Leipzig, he was the Head of recruitment at the club reporting to their DoF, Ralf Rangnick and his assistant. And when Rangnick stepped down from his role as the DoF, Leipzig didn't appoint Mitchell to replace Rangnick but rather opted for Markus Krösche who replaced Rangnick as the DoF at the club.

And what role is available at United that Mitchell has done well in the past in? That's right, it's the role of Head of recruitment.

If Mitchell does leave Monaco as its been reported by some media outlets then I can't see why he'd get the role of the Sporting director for the reasons stated above. But I can see him being chosen for the role of head of recruitment or in a deputy DoF role. Because even Rangnick had his former player from Hoffenheim, Per Nillson, to assist him at the Redbull clubs as the assistant Sporting director. And Nillson had only just retired from playing at Hoffenheim when he was given the role at 34 years of age in 2017, without any experience.

JPRouve

Scout
He did well with Tottenham after leaving Southampton didn't he? Rangnick has worked closely with Mitchell so I trust his judgement re. the Leipzig stint.

No idea on the Monaco front though. Heart it went a bit tits up.
Not really, overall Tottenham recruitment has been subpar, they sold their flops well but I don't know if it has anything to do with Mitchell since he was in charge of recruitment/scouting. And I have no issue with Rangnick wanting to bring him but it doesn't mean that he is particularly good, from what we have seen he is competent and has familiarity with Rangnick without being stellar.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Murtough was a mate of Woodward? We are talking about the guy who was credited for Everton scouting and analytics under Moyes and appointed PL's head of elite performances?
You and @Adnan really are doing the Lord's work telling people over and over again about Murtough's credentials and why he's so well regarded. I salute you.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Not really, overall Tottenham recruitment has been subpar, they sold their flops well but I don't know if it has anything to do with Mitchell since he was in charge of recruitment/scouting. And I have no issue with Rangnick wanting to bring him but it doesn't mean that he is particularly good, from what we have seen he is competent and has familiarity with Rangnick withouth being stellar.
Tottenham's transfers took an noticeable nosedive after Mitchell left the building though. Would be interesting to hear a Spurs fans views about him but I always got the impression he was a tremendous asset to the club.

mav_9me

The number of people arguing for and against Mitchell is surprising to me. How much can we judge his work? How much do we even know what these guys do, who made which transfer? What do we even know about the actual day to day roles for ex of Fletcher and Mitchell if he comes?

The only decent post with actual information is

Mitchell has done well as a 'head of recruitment' in his career thus far and isn't doing very well at all as the head of football operations at Monaco, hence a lot of their fans are not happy with him.

Mitchell had no experience of running/overseeing multiple departments on the football side at a high level for a period of time before he was given the Monaco gig. The likes of Murtough (United), Ashworth(Brighton), Webber (Norwich), Crocker(Soton) McDermott (Spurs), all had one thing in common before they became the head of football operations at their respective clubs/associations, and that was that they had a lot of experience being the ones who were directors at academy level. Which meant they had to make hiring/firing calls and oversee the development of multiple departments beneath the first team, which was controlled by the first team manager.

Mitchell came into prominence when he was working under the Soton DoF, Les Reed. And it was Les Reed who brought Mitchell and Pochettino to Southampton. Mitchell was the Head of recruitment at Southampton and reported to the DoF Les Reed. At Spurs, Mitchell was also the head of recruitment and reported to either Levy or Pochettino in a manager led approach to the first team. And even when Mitchell joined RB Leipzig, he was the Head of recruitment at the club reporting to their DoF, Ralf Rangnick and his assistant. And when Rangnick stepped down from his role as the DoF, Leipzig didn't appoint Mitchell to replace Rangnick but rather opted for Markus Krösche who replaced Rangnick as the DoF at the club.

And what role is available at United that Mitchell has done well in the past in? That's right, it's the role of Head of recruitment.

If Mitchell does leave Monaco as its been reported by some media outlets then I can't see why he'd get the role of the Sporting director for the reasons stated above. But I can see him being chosen for the role of head of recruitment or in a deputy DoF role. Because even Rangnick had his former player from Hoffenheim, Per Nillson, to assist him at the Redbull clubs as the assistant Sporting director. And Nillson had only just retired from playing at Hoffenheim when he was given the role at 34 years of age in 2017, without any experience.
Even this post, how much does Adnan know about what Mitchell did vs what Murtough or Ashworth etc?

Just feel like this is an area we know very little of

phelans shorts

This is an incredibly odd take to throw out there in the middle of a behind the scenes restructure. What you’re complaining about is literally what the club is in the middle of doing and… you’re complaining about them doing it?

Fact is Murtough is very qualified to do the job he has. Fletcher we don’t even know what his role is so how could you possibly get annoyed by that (I know I know) and we are restructuring, yet people are out here approaching an aneurysm because their preferred “head of recruitment” probably won’t get the role.

It’s wild to imagine people getting so pent up about a potential new head of IT or something.

JPRouve

Scout
Tottenham's transfers took an noticeable nosedive after Mitchell left the building though. Would be interesting to hear a Spurs fans views about him but I always got the impression he was a tremendous asset to the club.
Not really. It's a similar mix of good and bad, in fact you can also look at their previous seasons to notice that there isn't a noticeable improvement after 2014. Of course our minds are caught with certain names like Alli, Son or Alderweireld but there is a boatload of dross mixed with them like Sanchez, Janssen, Sissoko, Aurier and N'jié.

Tarrou

are you just pretending the last year of restructuring behind the scenes hasn't happened then?

JPRouve

Scout
You and @Adnan really are doing the Lord's work telling people over and over again about Murtough's credentials and why he's so well regarded. I salute you.
Thanks. It bothers me that people talk about Murtough the way they do regardless of how good he ends up being as the man leading United behind the scene. Unlike many people in Football and sport, he had to take the long way in order to get to his current position. It's even more baffling when you consider that Mitchell is an example of what often happens, he became MK Dons head of recruitment directly after retiring.

Highfather_24

Well for a start there Murtough is actually MORE qualified to do the job than Mitchell.
AFAIK Mitchell is being looked at as a head of recruitment guy, which is fine. But I cannot take anyone seriously if they suggest Murtough is more qualified than Rangnick for the DOF role. If it was upto me, Rangnick would be the DOF, and Murtough would be deputy DOF. Mitchell the recruitment guy, and Fletcher doing whatever vague shit he is supposed to do.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Not really. It's a similar mix of good and bad, in fact you can also look at their previous seasons to notice that there isn't a noticeable improvement after 2014. Of course our minds are caught with certain names like Alli, Son or Alderweireld but there is a boatload of dross mixed with them like Sanchez, Janssen, Sissoko, Aurier and N'jié.
Yeah just reminded myself his transfers. There were a lot of punts but he brought in very good signings such as Dier, Davies, Delli Ali, Trippier, Son and Wanyama. I'd argue that Sissoko was a good buy personally.

Of course there were some over inflated purchases you're right such as Jansson, Njie and arguably Sanchez (although he was deemed a big talent at the time).

I'd still argue he'd be an asset to our set up, I'm not sure how many in similar roles have a superb record relative to his times at Southampton/Spurs/Leipzig/Monaco. There's an argument to be had that he is more knowledgeable in the role after the European experience.

JPRouve

Scout
Yeah just reminded myself his transfers. There were a lot of punts but he brought in very good signings such as Dier, Davies, Delli Ali, Trippier, Son and Wanyama. I'd argue that Sissoko was a good buy personally.

Of course there were some over inflated purchases you're right such as Jansson, Njie and arguably Sanchez (although he was deemed a big talent at the time).

I'd still argue he'd be an asset to our set up, I'm not sure how many in similar roles have a superb record relative to his times at Southampton/Spurs/Leipzig/Monaco. There's an argument to be had that he is more knowledgeable in the role after the European experience.
I tend to agree with your conclusion, my point is more that he is competent and not much else. People shouldn't start making wild claims about how he is much better than x or y when he has himself only shown that he was average. For example I would argue that whoever has a similar job at Leicester is a more interesting target but that person doesn't have as much hype as Mitchell does.

phelans shorts

I’d give you Wanyama at Southampton, but Wanyama at Spurs was absolutely not a good deal.

At the end of the day though as long as they do well in our specific setup I wouldn’t necessarily worry about somebodies past roles, given every setup is different. They can be from Omicron Persei 8 but as long as they find the correct right back for us then they’re fine by me. A “dead cert” like Monchi failed miserably at Roma, for instance.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
The club is seemingly making a lot of positive moves in the right direction in a few things.

This move though makes too much sense to happen unfortunately. He’d be great but I just feel it’s too good to be true.

diarm

Wasn't Sanchez the year after Mitchell left?

Even Jansson, Sissoko and Wanyama were in that last summer where it seemed Mitchell and Levy had fallen out. The latter 2 signed after he'd walked so there's no guarantee any of those were his picks anyway.

N'Jie and Wimmer were the 2 Mitchell signings that didn't really make it at Spurs, but they made a big profit on Wimmer and got most of their money back for N'Jie.

JPRouve

Scout
Here is my take on Mitchell, from what I have seen he doesn't have a strong identity, he doesn't have a particular network, his recruitment doesn't follow a template. Now I don't suspect him to be incompetent because as far as I have seen which is at a superficial level, none of the clubs he worked for made boneheaded or illiogical moves, it's just uninventive moves of fairly obvious players/profiles.

If we were looking for a DOF that has shown something particular and that would on the surface look like a good fit with ETH, Campos would be the man. He has a clear network and identity built around young and technically gifted players. But the issue with him is that he is more about quantity and he really focuses on raw players with high upside which isn't necessarily a good fit for a big club.

Hoof the ball

The Holy 'Pep Guardiola is my idol' Trinity

Ten Hag, Van der Gaag and Paul Mitchell.

:lol: Who programmed "B.a.l.d. f.r.a.u.d" to show up as "Pep is my idol"?

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
Wasn't Sanchez the year after Mitchell left?

Even Jansson, Sissoko and Wanyama were in that last summer where it seemed Mitchell and Levy had fallen out. The latter 2 signed after he'd walked so there's no guarantee any of those were his picks anyway.

N'Jie and Wimmer were the 2 Mitchell signings that didn't really make it at Spurs, but they made a big profit on Wimmer and got most of their money back for N'Jie.
He was the head of recruitment, he takes part of the credit for the good signings and part of the blame for the poor signings.

diarm

He was the head of recruitment, he takes part of the credit for the good signings and part of the blame for the poor signings.
Not for the signings of Sissoko or Sanchez he wasn't. He had already left.

Signings while Mitchell was Head of Recruitment:
Alli, Wimmer, Trippier, Alderweireld, N'Jie, Son, Wanyama, Jansson

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
The club is seemingly making a lot of positive moves in the right direction in a few things.

This move though makes too much sense to happen unfortunately. He’d be great but I just feel it’s too good to be true.
This was said about ETH

JPRouve

Scout
Not for the signings of Sissoko or Sanchez he wasn't. He had already left.

Signings while Mitchell was Head of Recruitment:
Alli, Wimmer, Trippier, Alderweireld, N'Jie, Son, Wanyama, Jansson
He gave his notice in June, unless he wasn't doing his job before that which is hihgly unlikely he was also responsible for that summer.

diarm

He gave his notice in June, unless he wasn't doing his job before that which is hihgly unlikely he was also responsible for that summer.
He served his notice on the 9th August and was placed on gardening leave. He blamed it on a breakdown in working relationship with Daniel Levy.

If a head of recruitment quits because he can't work with a famously hands on chairman, I think it's harsh to then blame him for transfers that happen after he's quit. Far more likely he left because players were signed he didn't think were right, or players he wanted to sign weren't targetted.

This is all moot anyway. I agree with you that I don't believe Mitchell is any more qualified than Murtough is to be our Director of Football.

JPRouve

Scout
He served his notice on the 9th August and was placed on gardening leave. He blamed it on a breakdown in working relationship with Daniel Levy.

If a head of recruitment quits because he can't work with a famously hands on chairman, I think it's harsh to then blame him for transfers that happen after he's quit. Far more likely he left because players were signed he didn't think were right, or players he wanted to sign weren't targetted.

This is all moot anyway. I agree with you that I don't believe Mitchell is any more qualified than Murtough is to be our Director of Football.
I had june for some reason. And it's not harsh, it's part of his job we can't just take the bad results away and attribute him the good ones because for all you know he was proposing worse signings or he simply had to fight too much for the ones he actually got. At the end of the day, convincing the rest of the management team is part of his job, it's not just about imposing your view but selling it.

diarm

I had june for some reason. And it's not harsh, it's part of his job we can't just take the bad results away and attribute him the good ones because for all you know he was proposing worse signings or he simply had to fight too much for the ones he actually got. At the end of the day, convincing the rest of the management team is part of his job, it's not just about imposing your view but selling it.
I'm not taking away the bad results that happened under his watch.

I'm saying it's harsh to blame him for signings made after he's left, when he left because he couldn't agree on signings with the chairman. I know you like arguing the last word until everyone else backs down from the tedium but come on now - that is harsh and you know it.

Your point on convincing the rest of the management team is well made, even if the rest of that management team was Daniel Levy.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The number of people arguing for and against Mitchell is surprising to me. How much can we judge his work? How much do we even know what these guys do, who made which transfer? What do we even know about the actual day to day roles for ex of Fletcher and Mitchell if he comes?

The only decent post with actual information is

Even this post, how much does Adnan know about what Mitchell did vs what Murtough or Ashworth etc?

Just feel like this is an area we know very little of
There is a very clear and obvious difference between rating players and rating anybody else, and it's always baffled me why people develop such a strong position on how they view club staff. As has been said in this thread already, there are dozens of people around Europe that could(?) be a better fit than Mitchell. The difference? Nobody has ever heard of them, and would probably fail to name more than 2 or 3 potential candidates so they revert to the name they know and convince themselves he is the answer.

When it comes to Murtough, he hasn't had nearly long enough in this position to be evaluated by performance from people like us, but without question he certainly has the experience. The problem with adding Ten Hag AND Rangnick AND Mitchell to an organisation is that they will all have a voice and they will probably differ in opinions fairly regularly, so you end up with confusion over who is the dominant voice there and probably even some in-house jostling for position which is hugely counter-productive and exactly the kind of situation that leads to clubs like ours under achieving.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I disagree with that. It's only poor if you look at it purely from a managerial aspect, top 4 would have been the goal there, but from the start he was here for bigger reasons.

He's interim so burning bridges doesn't matter, by all accounts he has done exactly what we wanted, identified the problems and started us on the correct path. We've cut the CO92 loose, got actual qualified coaches in, appointed the most promising manager in world football, and it sounds like the squad are in for the shock of their careers this summer. I haven't felt this optimistic about the club since Moyes was here.
You ruined this post, which renders all the preceding good stuff worthless.

JPRouve

Scout
I'm not taking away the bad results that happened under his watch.

I'm saying it's harsh to blame him for signings made after he's left, when he left because he couldn't agree on signings with the chairman. I know you like arguing the last word until everyone else backs down from the tedium but come on now - that is harsh and you know it.

Your point on convincing the rest of the management team is well made, even if the rest of that management team was Daniel Levy.
Since you made it a personal thing, I won't discuss with you anymore but I will say this, I didn't blame him for anything, he is responsibe for the entirety of his department, good and bad.

diarm

Since you made it a personal thing, I won't discuss with you anymore but I will say this, I didn't blame him for anything, he is responsibe for the entirety of his department, good and bad.
And I will say, again, he's not responsible for it after he has left.