6.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

edcunited1878

He's 24 playing in his first season in the Premier League. Going to a weaker side to a much more intense and competitive league.

Would you rather have him or not have him? Plain and simple.

Mike09

Neither being his greatest position though. He plays best just in behind a main striker. So in our current formation that would be in the #10 position but pushing further forward.

I don't know where he'd fit in a 433 as we'd have a major lack of width with Griezmann and Martial being the wingers in that formation. Whilst also leaving Mkhi with no position.
Well, practically by playing as an inside forward like how Jose used Eto'o is pretty much the same thing as play behind a main striker.

Mike09

I asked, rhetorically, 'how much did we get for him?', and then also asked 'how much would we have gotten if he signed a contract?' - it was to illustrate to a poster with a similar manner to yourself that there can be other reasons why a club/manager want a player to sign a contract other than their desire to keep them at the club. If you look back, you'll see this.

Likewise, if you read posts/conversations properly before wading in and making rude comments about other posters, you'll be less likely to end up looking like a silly sausage.
Sorry but no matter how much I read them. It doesn't look to me a rhetorical question. Don't blame me for calling you 'drunk', because of your complicated post. You were basically saying that Sir Alex didn't view Pogba's mindset and/or skill-set as worthy or suited to Man Utd so he didn't play Pogba, and then sold him for nothing. [REFERENCE 2].

And I against that because the true behind what Sir Alex did (not playing Pogba) was that he thought Pogba wasn't ready to make a big step since he was still 18 or 19 years old and have yet enough a professional experience to lead United to challenge the league. And again we never sold Pogba.

Players like Rooney and Ronaldo are different because they both already had a lot of experiences when they were teenager or even before joined United so the development between Pogba and Rooney/Ronaldo are obviously different and that's why you can't compare them when they were 24 [REFERENCE 1]

The fact is that Sir Alex rated Pogba. We offered him a new contract means he wanted Pogba in his Utd team but Pogba refused it. Mainly because of clash between two players with big ego. A manager who thinks the player isn't ready to make a big step and a player who thinks he's ready and good enough to play.

Reference:
At any time under SAF, Pogba's season would be viewed on the weaker side, especially given he's 24. Fergie had players like Rooney at 24, Beckham at 24, Ronaldo was 24 when he went to Real, Scholes was a key player in the treble at 24 in 1999. [REFERENCE 1]

Pogba wouldn't get near these teams, and before anyone jumps on that, please remember that this is what Fergie did, not just my opinion!

Fergie didn't view Pogba's mindset and/or skill-set as worthy or suited to Man Utd so didn't play him, and then sold him for nothing. [REFERENCE 2]

SAF was winning leagues while making this decision. Now we decide Pogba is worth 90m quid and we're struggling to make Top 4...

I thought Fergie was wrong with Pogba - in fact, I actually thought it was a decision akin to hiring Moyes, I really did. A sign that he was past it. I viewed it as him playing his old favourites and not giving Pogba a chance, but I dunno now. [THIS IS JUST YOUR ASSUMPTION]

SAF was a genius at spotting players who had something in them that would contribute to a great team, whether that be skillful, 'star' players like Ronaldo, Giggs, Rooney, Cantona, Beckham, RvP, or hardworking grafters that he could rely on - Park, Fletcher, Valencia, etc.

He could see into players' minds somehow and he knew the difference between a winner and a loser. Maybe that was his biggest skill? I dunno. [THIS IS JUST YOUR ASSUMPTION]

But whatever he saw in Pogba, he didn't want it in his Utd team. Maybe he liked Pogba as a person (as I do), but could just see that his decision making and lack of intensity wasn't enough for his team, or maybe he didn't like his style of play, or maybe he actively disliked something about his attitude. [THIS IS JUST YOUR ASSUMPTION] [REFERENCE 3]

I don't know, maybe others do. But I wouldn't imagine Fergie thinks too highly of Pogba's tranfser fee, wages, or performances this season. [THIS IS JUST YOUR ASSUMPTION]

It's pretty obvious really, given the standards that Fergie demanded, the players he cultivated, and his disdain for over-payed players and agents.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Well, practically by playing as an inside forward like how Jose used Eto'o is pretty much the same thing as play behind a main striker.
But then we'd have no width on the right again which gives us the same problem of teams sitting deep and narrow.

Mike09

But then we'd have no width on the right again which gives us the same problem of teams sitting deep and narrow.
It depends on how we are going to play next season first. If we sign Griezmann, Zlatan stays and we want to get the best out of three Griezmann, Zlatan, and Pogba means we can still play the same system as how Jose used when he won treble with Inter. Zlatan = Milito. Griezmann = Eto'o. Pogba = Sneijder

No width on the right is not a massive problem when you have a full back who can play two roles like Valencia or Maicon.

And I think we can get the best out of Pogba plays in Sneijder's role by having 2 quality midfielder behind him (one who can defend and the other one can either dominate or control the midfield).

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
It depends on how we are going to play next season first. If we sign Griezmann, Zlatan stays and we want to get the best out of three Griezmann, Zlatan, and Pogba means we can still play the same system as how Jose used when he won treble with Inter. Zlatan = Milito. Griezmann = Eto'o. Pogba = Sneijder

No width on the right is not a massive problem when you have a full back who can play two roles like Valencia or Maicon.

And I think we can get the best out of Pogba plays in Sneijder's role by having 2 quality midfielder behind him (one who can defend and the other one can either dominate or control the midfield).
Yeah I agree I suggested the same formation earlier in this thread but I believe it was @harms who raised the problem of width and speed which when thinking about it would be a real problem against those teams that just pack the defence.

The way to get past them is spread the pitch and use speed.

Putting our 3 most dangerous players in positions where the opposition are likely to have their most numbers seems counter intuitive.

TheReligion

Abusive
The state of this thread is quite funny. Some people acting as if Pogba has never played at the highest level before and now is currently struggling because he's been called on to do so.

All these examples about players x and y playing high level football at 24 while Pogba still struggling are funny. The guy managed to play at the highest level since 19 and one average season out of 5 years as a professional footballer after moving to a new league in very much rebuilding process doesn't change anything.

Lately I've realised there's been this sudden revisionism in regard to Pogba. Because it has become customary to hate on him and berate every single one of his performances, people have now resorted to rewriting history and pretend as if he's never shown top level football since a very young age.
You're right.

There's some complete and utter bollocks in here. Some are suggesting Fergie knew he couldn't handle the PL and let him leave when everyone knows he wanted him to stay.

Quizierda

All the people complaining about Pogs performances but wanting to splash >€100m on Müller should get a grip!

Comparing the performances of these two guys over the last two years I am more than happy that Bayern didn't sell Müller to us and we were able to get Paul.

dirkey

Decent, but early on he was attempting too many impossible passes. Toned it down as the half went on.

Art

Art the artist
He gets double or triple marked the minute he gets the ball leaving carrick open with loads of time.

Seanus

At times he makes it look like a man against boys-so strong and impossible to knock off the ball-we are getting nearer to the player we all hope he will be. When he was getting stick part way through the season I said I could see him as footballer of the year in 2 out of the next 3-4 seasons-now I am convinced.

Man-United

Top class. He had a good rest during the international break and now you see how good he can be.

Philadelphian

He gets double or triple marked the minute he gets the ball leaving carrick open with loads of time.
Exactly, which is why it would be great to get another midfielder in who want to take the responsibility of pushing us forward, rather than simply retain possession.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
His reading of the ball and play has been top drawer. He's stopped a few counter attacks alone with it then shut off angles with his physicality and hasn't needed to tackle because of it.

AndyJ1985

When his critics accept that we haven't spent £89m for the next Ronaldo or Messi, and instead we've bought a brilliant all-round midfielder, maybe they'll appreciate what he brings to our team.

dirkey

Ah God Pogba. You have to score in that situation. Straight at the keeper. Terrible.

Hojoon

He's brought his long range passing shoes this season but not his scoring ones, that's for sure.

Shark

@NotShark
When people say not to judge him at a 90m player as it's unfair, I agree. But then he goes and misses another sitter, and you think he needs to start doing better for such a high profile signing. And it looks like it's cost us..

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Couldn't boss the game against Anderletch. Getting poorer as the season progresses.

Zoo

It wasn't a sitter it was a good chance. He was fantastic today and that chance came from him breaking forward well from midfield.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Best player on the pitch for me

Missed another opportunity but controlled midfield

Status
Not open for further replies.