Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I'm confident he will have 15+ goals and assists next season.
Those chances missed are a joke.

Murray3007

said when he signed would be 12-18 months before he fully settles in so will still give him time, had his critism this season but as a player hes been a joy to watch, almost every game he has either created or had one one glorious chance, either he aint taking it or the player has missed it, fine lines in football had all his shots that hit the woodwork went in he would prob be on as much goals as Dele Alli, think playing with a more mobile strikers will bring the best out of him next season, sometimes needs to play a bit more simple but sure that will come as time goes on, Can only see him going from strength to strength over the next few seasons, just would love him to ditch that agent.

Stacks

Damn, watching this video really does highlight how awful our attackers have been this season, absoloute shockers in this video, if Pogba was playing for Madrid,Bayern or Barca etc he would easily have 25+ assists this season and also taking into consideration how unlucky he has been with hitting that post his goals would be higher, he has had a very good first season in the prem,

Cant wait to see him with proper attackers infront of him, imagine RvN up front for us with Pogba pinging those passes up front :drool:
Damn, I'm sorry but that is absolutely world class. He is 23/24 years old and if it weren't for our forwards. The press and abu's just want to use him as the scapegoat. I personally think he has been fantastic considering he has come from a much slower league.
This is part of the issue though, is that Pogba always had made a good highlight reel, which is why critics labelled him a highlights or youtube superstar. its best to judge over the 90 mins, how good someone is

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This is part of the issue though, is that Pogba always had made a good highlight reel, which is why critics labelled him a highlights or youtube superstar. its best to judge over the 90 mins, how good someone is
That video shows the quality of chances he created, it's not doctored video. Youtube superstar is someone with superb dribble that leads to nowhere but the youtube highlights showing only the dribble part.

Stacks

That video shows the quality of chances he created, it's not doctored video. Youtube superstar is someone with superb dribble that leads to nowhere but the youtube highlights showing only the dribble part.
What I am getting at is, and correct me with a video of I am wrong, but a video of Nani in his pomp, would make him look amazing as he done fantastic dribbles, long shots, crosses, goals, finishes but yet, we all new he wasn't at the Robben/Pires level because of consistency of his play over the 90 mins

RuudTom83

Amazes me how anyone who actually watches United consistently could actually say Pogba has been poor.

Yet more reason to completely ignore anything the so called experts on sky have to say.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
What I am getting at is, and correct me with a video of I am wrong, but a video of Nani in his pomp, would make him look amazing as he done fantastic dribbles, long shots, crosses, goals, finishes but yet, we all new he wasn't at the Robben/Pires level because of consistency of his play over the 90 mins
Rightly so. Nani in his pomp was superb player.

I agree, consistency in 90 mins is important. What we can see from video is Pogba created plenty of chances and his assists column doesn't show it.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Amazes me how anyone who actually watches United consistently could actually say Pogba has been poor.

Yet more reason to completely ignore anything the so called experts on sky have to say.
Anyone who watches United consistently and tries to act like hes been great or even good needs their eyes tested.

Hes had an OK season 6/10.

Expectation dictate how people will see that. Some will say well 6/10 for what was expected of him is a poor season, some will say that doesn't matter, and some people will make out like hes been great pointing at chances created (ignoring the rest of whats expected from a top drawer CM)

I'm expecting him to have a much better season next year.

Stacks

Anyone who watches United consistently and tries to act like hes been great or even good needs their eyes tested.

Expectation dictate how people will see that. Some will say well 6/10 for what was expected of him is a poor season, some will say that doesn't matter, and some people will make out like hes been great pointing at chances created (ignoring the rest of whats expected from a top drawer CM)

I would say in between 6.5-7 with a big improvement anticipated through better tactics, teammates, acclimatization, set role etc

Murray3007

just out of interest what do you expect from a top drawer CM?

Cassidy

just out of interest what do you expect from a top drawer CM?
Most important is the performance over 90 minutes as opposed to flashes of brilliance. CM is the hub of the team.
Positional discipline, control, defensive awareness, good decision making, not losing the ball in dangerous areas, and imposing the teams control especially in the bigger games.

He gets a 6/10 for me because he has undoubtedly increased our creativity. I expect more next season though.

Murray3007

Most important is the performance over 90 minutes as opposed to flashes of brilliance. CM is the hub of the team.
Positional discipline, control, defensive awareness, good decision making, not losing the ball in dangerous areas, and imposing the teams control especially in the bigger games.

wont be much top class CM about just now then is thats what your expecting

breakout67

Supports
Man City

The only thing Pogba hasnt shown this season is 'taking the game by the scruff of the neck' and this is code-word for goals because 99% of people dont actually understand what the role of a midfielder is. He has done everything expected of a top central midfielder this season.

Circulating Possession, Ball retention, dribbling into dangerous areas, through balls, chance creation, tackles, interceptions. He has done all of these to a good standard this season. The only thing lacking in his game is defensive awareness but he has improved this season (many top midfielders are like this and so are at their best when a more defensive minded midfielder plays with them).

Rating someone's season is pointless for the exact reason you said but seemed to ignore; expectation. I do not care what Pogba is expected to do, i care what qualities he has shown and how they compare to his peers. He is on the border of being one of the best midfielders in the world; but cannot read the game as well as seasoned veterans.

He has shown the same quality of play as many of the midfielders playing in the best teams in Europe (hence why he was good enough to play in a Champions League Final as a key part in the midfield). The major difference is that Pogba does not have quality around him.

Cassidy

There have been quite a few who has been good in those areas this season. You don't have to be 10/10 in all.
Herrera has had a better season than Pogba IMO

Cassidy

The only thing Pogba hasnt shown this season is 'taking the game by the scruff of the neck' and this is code-word for goals because 99% of people dont actually understand what the role of a midfielder is. He has done everything expected of a top central midfielder this season.

Circulating Possession, Ball retention, dribbling into dangerous areas, through balls, chance creation, tackles, interceptions. He has done all of these to a good standard this season. The only thing lacking in his game is defensive awareness but he has improved this season (many top midfielders are like this and so are at their best when a more defensive minded midfielder plays with them).

Rating someone's season is pointless for the exact reason you said but seemed to ignore; expectation. I do not care what Pogba is expected to do, i care what qualities he has shown and how they compare to his peers. He is on the border of being one of the best midfielders in the world; but cannot read the game as well as seasoned veterans.

He has shown the same quality of play as many of the midfielders playing in the best teams in Europe (hence why he was good enough to play in a Champions League Final as a key part in the midfield). The major difference is that Pogba does not have quality around him.
We agree to disagree.
I think he was excellent for about 2 months sometime around the Christmas period. Otherwise bit of a finding your feet season overall for him.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
We agree to disagree.
I think he was excellent for about 2 months sometime around the Christmas period. Otherwise bit of a finding your feet season overall for him.
Fair enough mate. You've not said anything unreasonable.

keener

Well, I'm going to agree with Breakout on this one. I've read way too many pundits targeting Paul with criticism when it's apparent to me that they've not really watch the games... .only the highlights. IMO Paul has had a fantastic season, showing a huge work ethic, world class instincts and ball skill, huge boldness, good vision and a world class touch. At times he has been the absolute boss of the midfield like no other in the game. At other times, he's merely been top class and had great touch and defensive work ethic.

Jando's video shows his quality and "what could've been" if we could finish. Add in his near miss goals and i think Paul was one of the best players in the league this season and well worth us bringing him home.

My only 2 criticisms of Paul this season are 1. he's lacked that "Juan Mata" touch on his passing that allows his vision to become truly devastating to the opponent. He's aggression and vision are extremely good and too many times this year he picked out a great pass but had too much weight behind it... AND 2nd. I think he needs to stop taking so many shots from outside the box. Besides the fact that he's not really made any of them, it lets the other team off the hook and releases pressure. I frankly hated when the ball would be played back to him 10 yards outside the box as he would always lash at it... almost like he was pressing to do something special.

Instead I'd prefer him to drive the ball into the box and use his sublime skill or vision to help us with a closer shot on goal as Mata or Mkhitaryan would.

All in all, I think the media's criticism of Paul is lazy journalism. 90 million pounds and he must be God scoring every time he touches the ball and should be a combination of Nisleroy, Giggs and Vidic. If you watch how we play, and how he allows us to play, he adds a demension to our game that few players in the world could add. For me, he's been one of the top midfielders in the world this year and has been vitally important to us along with Herrera and Valencia. He doesn't have to score to prove his worth to me.

Last edited:

Hammondo

His interview was awesome. His discipline tonight excellent. Played for the team, not for his personal glory or to justify his transfer fee.
He tried to play a Hollywood pass all night, lost the ball far more than anyone.

Art

Art the artist
His interview was awesome. His discipline tonight excellent. Played for the team, not for his personal glory or to justify his transfer fee.
He really did. Ran his socks off for the team. Would run 60 yards to make himself available for Rashford who would lose the ball, and Paul would be dashing back to defend without saying a word. Incredible growth over the course of the season.

Anduin

Came here for a world record fee, played well for large parts of the season, hit the post and bar a thousand times, should've had 30 assists if his teammates could finish better... and helped us win three trophies. What more can you ask for? He basically already paid back a large part of his transfer fee... not that I'd give a feck at all...
Simply class.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Produced a big moment when it counted, got a bit of luck sure but players like him are winners and he will continue to grow and be class for us.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Himself and Fellaini (especially Fellaini) were told to man mark a player each. Did very well. Could have had a penalty as well maybe.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Will imminently be the best centre mid in the world, I have absolutely no doubt in that. Really has an excellent understanding with Herrera too, they'll take us far in the next few seasons.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Not at all. Gave the ball away far more than anyone else, so many wasted situations. Only player id really criticize.
I would argue, but I don't care. You're wrong, that's it.

King.of.Red

one stupid mistake to give Ajax a corner kick, but I still love his performance. Hopefully he can keep scoring more goals next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.