Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
There ain't a partnership that can work in any team if one of the players is inconsistent or decides to play well whenever he wants it. There is no "right" partner for Pogba if he is poor himself.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Without pogba, United wouldnt be 2nd right now.
Perhaps you are right. But he is one of our most expensive assets. The opportunity cost of Pogba is high. What if we had played Matic and Herrera all season, but instead of Pogba had a real attacking force on the right wing?

I’m not sure Paul Pogbas ego and personality goes hand in hand with being a central midfielder. It feels like he craves attention and recognition. Similar to a striker or a flamboyant attacker. The best midfielders I can remember always had the attitude of putting the team first. Roy Keane once said that «Clough told me to pass and move, and I made a carrier out of it». Sometimes when I see Pogba taking on three players in midfield (and more often than not succeding) I can’t help but think that Scholes would never have put himself in such a position. What I always loved about players like Scholes, Keane and Xavi was that they let the ball do the work. You never felt that they always had to do something special. And they consequently moved the ball quickly. They were patient and knew when to strike; taking advantage of an opening or mistake.

I remember reading an interview with Pogba in So Foot prior to his move to Man Utd and the WC 2016. He said that he wanted to create the new midfielder. «A midfielder who could do everything. Win the ball back, bring it up field, create, dictate play and score.»

Today that actually feels like part of the problem in some games. He is a bit of «jack-of-all-trades». And similar to the jack, he masters none really well. He often spends too much time on the ball to dictate play properly or efficiently. And he does not looks consistent or focused enough when tracking back.

His output is very good for a midfielder, and he might be better of as an attacker/winger. My only worry is that he is not that good off ball. He rarely get in to the box to finish unless he brings the ball in himself. The Manchester City match was a rare occasion. And he can do all the ballhugging and clinging in the world; he will always spend more time off the ball than he does on it. So the off ball movement can not be valued highly enough.

It is inevitable that the combination of Paul Pogbas impressive physique and flashy technique makes him highly rated among fans. In my opinion it also makes him overrated. For all the piruettes or stepovers Paul Pogba has in his locker; I’ve seen another Paul solve a similar situation faster and with less risk with a simple one-touch pass or a trademark «turnaround».

Acole9

Outstanding
I didn't realise he was so high on the league assist chart, I imagine most of those were earlier on in the season.

Hojoon

I rate him highly as a player in general but his reluctance to try a through ball on the ground is annoying, especially considering he's not reluctant to try floated through balls.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I’m not sure Paul Pogbas ego and personality goes hand in hand with being a central midfielder. It feels like he craves attention and recognition. Similar to a striker or a flamboyant attacker. The best midfielders I can remember always had the attitude of putting the team first. Roy Keane once said that «Clough told me to pass and move, and I made a carrier out of it». Sometimes when I see Pogba taking on three players in midfield (and more often than not succeding) I can’t help but think that Scholes would never have put himself in such a position. What I always loved about players like Scholes, Keane and Xavi was that they let the ball do the work. You never felt that they always had to do something special.
It's not fair to compare him to Scholes or Keane, who were completely different players. There were enough central midfielders of flamboyant nature, why can't he copy someone like Paulo Roberto Falcão?

I mean, you don't ask Lukaku to play like Van Persie, do you?

kundalini

Without pogba, United wouldnt be 2nd right now.
Without Pogba, United's PL record is 7 wins 1 draw 3 defeats. 22 points in 11 games. The one game he came on as a sub, we were winning 1-0 at the time, the game finished 2-0. Huddersfield created almost nothing.

25 points in 12 games that included 2 games against Liverpool, Man City at home, Chelsea away, Spurs at home.

When Pogba starts 16 wins 4 draws 4 defeats. 52 points in 24 games.

If you look at our results in other competitions, similar patterns are apparent.

Very little evidence to support your claim.

Last edited:
West Ham 0:0 Man Utd

el3mel

Mixed bag. Too much quality but very frustrating to watch on regular basis tbh. Had some very quality moments mixed with some fecked up passes.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Frustrating tonight. I’d have liked him running at the fringe of the West Ham defence like Jesse had success with first half. Just to utilize the fact he had 2 midfielders and 3 centre backs behind him so more freedom - but didn’t really slot in anywhere.

automaticflare

No outlet up top which shows how much we miss lukaku

Still sloppy in possession which is infuriating

Hope he shows up in Cup final

NinjaFletch

I don't know if I should be applauding him for not reacting to that scrote Noble or pointing out that he wasn't even arsed when someone was trying to gouge his eyes out.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
2 seasons now of being bang average.

I'd honestly not be pissed off if he left this summer.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Perhaps you are right. But he is one of our most expensive assets. The opportunity cost of Pogba is high. What if we had played Matic and Herrera all season, but instead of Pogba had a real attacking force on the right wing?

I’m not sure Paul Pogbas ego and personality goes hand in hand with being a central midfielder. It feels like he craves attention and recognition. Similar to a striker or a flamboyant attacker. The best midfielders I can remember always had the attitude of putting the team first. Roy Keane once said that «Clough told me to pass and move, and I made a carrier out of it». Sometimes when I see Pogba taking on three players in midfield (and more often than not succeding) I can’t help but think that Scholes would never have put himself in such a position. What I always loved about players like Scholes, Keane and Xavi was that they let the ball do the work. You never felt that they always had to do something special. And they consequently moved the ball quickly. They were patient and knew when to strike; taking advantage of an opening or mistake.

I remember reading an interview with Pogba in So Foot prior to his move to Man Utd and the WC 2016. He said that he wanted to create the new midfielder. «A midfielder who could do everything. Win the ball back, bring it up field, create, dictate play and score.»

Today that actually feels like part of the problem in some games. He is a bit of «jack-of-all-trades». And similar to the jack, he masters none really well. He often spends too much time on the ball to dictate play properly or efficiently. And he does not looks consistent or focused enough when tracking back.

His output is very good for a midfielder, and he might be better of as an attacker/winger. My only worry is that he is not that good off ball. He rarely get in to the box to finish unless he brings the ball in himself. The Manchester City match was a rare occasion. And he can do all the ballhugging and clinging in the world; he will always spend more time off the ball than he does on it. So the off ball movement can not be valued highly enough.

It is inevitable that the combination of Paul Pogbas impressive physique and flashy technique makes him highly rated among fans. In my opinion it also makes him overrated. For all the piruettes or stepovers Paul Pogba has in his locker; I’ve seen another Paul solve a similar situation faster and with less risk with a simple one-touch pass or a trademark «turnaround».
Eriksen and De Bruyne are less flamboyant but on a completely different level in terms of the construction of their team’s play. Pogba constantly wants a spotlight on him, and it’s detrimental to the team.

Have said all along that he’s a tactical misfit and forced Jose to compromise his ideal system to accommodate him - a 4-2-3-1 with a solid base of Matic and another competent midfielder behind an orthodox right winger, a productive #10 and inverting left forward and a centreforward would be better balanced and allow the attacking transitions to flow more smoothly.

Hopefully he has a good World Cup and can be sold at an absolute premium.

el3mel

There was this one moment when he tried to shoot (or pass) a ballooned ball from the center of midfield. It's at this moment that I give up.

Silas

There was this one moment when he tried to shoot (or pass) a ballooned ball from the center of midfield. It's at this moment that I give up.
Think he saw the keeper off the line there.

el3mel

Think he saw the keeper off the line there.
Even if so what's the chance of it entering the goal ? 0.01 % ? That was one of these fecked up moments he had at some points of each game, taking strange shots or passes for no reason.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He would have benefitted enormously from having Scholes and Keane around him during training, showing him what to expect and stop sulking. Incidentally, towards the end of that game he started to show a little more aggression. The guy can be as good as he wants to be.

kundalini

One of those matches in which Pogba's technique was nowhere near as good he thinks it is. He tries things that few other players would attempt because they wouldn't rate their chances of success. The problem is that he ignored simple options time and time again, then gave the ball away, or lost possession, attempting some low percentage pass or dribble.

Silas

Even if so what's the chance of it entering the goal ? 0.01 % ? That was one of these fecked up moments he had at some points of each game, taking strange shots or passes for no reason.
To be fair, in games like this, I'd rather we took risks like that instead of being happy with passing it about without much real penetration. Not saying he was good, but we seemed to be completely out of ideas in an attacking sense, so I can see why he was going for the hollywood stuff today. Just didn't come off, which was disappointing.

el3mel

To be fair, in games like this, I'd rather we took risks like that instead of being happy with passing it about without much real penetration. Not saying he was good, but we seemed to be completely out of ideas in an attacking sense, so I can see why he was going for the hollywood stuff today. Just didn't come off, which was disappointing.
I can't call a ball like this or shooting while the defense is in your face a "risk", it just doing things for the show, something Pogba struggles to understand. He needs to understand when to take a risk and when to pass it someone in a better place.

I have no problem with risks but when there's a good chance you may get something from it. If the whole defense is in your face, it's dumb to try a far shot.

Andersons Dietician

Eriksen and De Bruyne are less flamboyant but on a completely different level in terms of the construction of their team’s play. Pogba constantly wants a spotlight on him, and it’s detrimental to the team.

Have said all along that he’s a tactical misfit and forced Jose to compromise his ideal system to accommodate him - a 4-2-3-1 with a solid base of Matic and another competent midfielder behind an orthodox right winger, a productive #10 and inverting left forward and a centreforward would be better balanced and allow the attacking transitions to flow more smoothly.

Hopefully he has a good World Cup and can be sold at an absolute premium.
I think his plan was to use him similar to how he used Cesc at Chelsea in his title winning year. Just hasn’t worked out like that. I remember having the conversation with some one on talking reds and we were just discussing Jose likely attacking set up.

Lukaku
Martial- Griezman- Miki
Pogba-Matic
That’s what I thought he’d try and aim for and use Pogba as He did Cesc.

Hammondo

I think his plan was to use him similar to how he used Cesc at Chelsea in his title winning year. Just hasn’t worked out like that. I remember having the conversation with some one on talking reds and we were just discussing Jose likely attacking set up.

Lukaku
Martial- Griezman- Miki
Pogba-Matic
Yea agreed but he simply cannot do that role. There are many better cm's than him and better am's. He hasn't earned special treatment.

AP88

Supports
Man City

Lukaku
Martial- Griezman- Miki
Pogba-Matic
Yea agreed but he simply cannot do that role. There are many better cm's than him and better am's. He hasn't earned special treatment.
Indeed - that kind of player who can dictate the game with a varied passing range and tactical intelligence. Ruben Neves would be worth investing in to fill that role, but Pogba simply doesn’t want to because it’s not glamorous enough for him.

It’s the same issue United had with Veron 15 years ago; obviously talented and easy on the eye, but doesn’t really justify the compromises you have to make to place him in the team.

AKDevil

Two full seasons. That’s plenty of time to assess. Number of times we’ve got what we expected you can probably count on one hand. That’s really not good enough. Not Pogba out, more Pogba not bothered.

AngliaRed

The whole team have underachieved this season except DDG. Pogba will no doubt have a good WC and hopefully bring his form into next season.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I wonder if he's too comfortable, knows he's better than anyone else in his position, knows he'll make the World Cup squad.

Djemba-Djemba

Two full seasons. That’s plenty of time to assess. Number of times we’ve got what we expected you can probably count on one hand. That’s really not good enough. Not Pogba out, more Pogba not bothered.
That's how I feel.

I'd rather he stay I suppose, but if he went in the Summer I wouldn't be heartbroken that's for sure.

0le

What makes people believe Pogba will gain consistency? Why should we give him yet another year? He has played in a Juventus team competing for top honours, he has played in a French team with top players and now he has had two seasons in the Premier League. Yet we still treat the guy as if he is a lad with potential or talent. Its actually unbelievably frustrating when he has poor games. At least when Sanchez plays poorly he puts the effort in to help his teammates. Pogba looks half arsed. I wouldn't be surprised if the comments by Mourinho aren't necessarily about Martial but more about Pogba.

Litch

Honestly can't imagine how more boring this team would be without him. Sooner have him trying to be creative and trying things than the crab like football as an alternative.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Way higher than that. Keeper was off his line. We've seen those go in plenty of times. Helps if you have a player not wildly inconsistent at everything including a straightforward pass though.

Festive Sandvich

All the technical ability in the world, but an almost child-like mentality. No longer sure we're going to see the best of him in a Utd shirt, which tbf isn't entirely his fault. He's the Peter Pan icing on the cake, but the team needs a lot more sponge first to get the best out of him.

Canagel

He is the only one trying to link things in attack and make things happen but is getting no help at all. Lingard and Sanchez both wanted the ball to feet and had no interest in staying in the box or making runs beyond the west Ham back line. Pogba can't pass if the players upfront aren't making themselves available can he? He was reduced to speculative efforts from distance but when there's no movement ahead of you what are you supposed to do? I'd rather have someone who takes shots rather than keep passing sideways and passing on the responsibility. Pogba never hides on the pitch which is why I don't criticize him. I only get angry when he overplays in dangerous areas but as long as we are in the attacking third I don't care what he does if players don't give him options or make runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.