Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedChip

They will be always on him if he's truely a superstar.
He really is, but there will be a few more shiny toys to judge on the basis of massive transfer fees.

He can focus more on his game and just enjoy playing, without having to justify the ridiculous fee.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He's a beast. He'd get into any team in the world. Any. team. in. the. world.
Even Madrid, where he'd easily ditch Kroos from that side.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Glad we got him last year, imagine what he would have cost this year with the inflation of fees.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
A full pre-season will do him the world of good. He and Herrera have such a brilliant understanding. My prediction, barring injury, he'll be considered one of the best players in the league by the end of the season.

Steven7290

I never liked him that much as a young player and even a Juventus player, but the more I watch him closely, my god what a majestic beast of a footballer he is.

Redcy

Teams definitely target Pogba more though. They don't need to mark Fellaini closely as he isn't going to dribble or shoot, so they can double team Pogba and leave Fellaini free.

He struggled to adapt his style at first and kept trying to dribble opponents which is why he lost the ball, but the last few games he's learnt to keep it moving quicker when tightly marked, that's been the big difference.

If we play with Mkhi or Pereira in midfield though teams can't afford to do that.
That's been the big change especially noticeable last night, rather than trying to do it all, he is learning to play those quick short passes when he gets pulled by two players. I think a bit of maturity and the fact he did feel like he had to prove himself led to the "over thinking" we saw.

I love his range of passing and control, the little "zidane spin" didn't work, but the audacity to attempt gets you off your feet.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That's been the big change especially noticeable last night, rather than trying to do it all, he is learning to play those quick short passes when he gets pulled by two players. I think a bit of maturity and the fact he did feel like he had to prove himself led to the "over thinking" we saw.

I love his range of passing and control, the little "zidane spin" didn't work, but the audacity to attempt gets you off your feet.
Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to watch last nights game yet, but sounds like he continued his good form which is very pleasing.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
I feel it will be a bit like DDG - in year one, he made a couple of high profile mistakes that rival fans/pundits judged him almost exclusively on, ignoring all the other good work he did. Eventually they realized those wonder saves he made on a regular basis weren't flukes and then, when he shined on the big stage (the match away at Bernabeu) he was viewed universally as the top player we knew him to be.

Pogba's come in under the big fee, the flamboyant style, etc so he gets more animosity thrown his way but his skills are undeniable. Backing him to stay consistent, add some goals, and have more big match success this year.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Teams definitely target Pogba more though. They don't need to mark Fellaini closely as he isn't going to dribble or shoot, so they can double team Pogba and leave Fellaini free.

He struggled to adapt his style at first and kept trying to dribble opponents which is why he lost the ball, but the last few games he's learnt to keep it moving quicker when tightly marked, that's been the big difference.

If we play with Mkhi or Pereira in midfield though teams can't afford to do that.
In regards to your points of Pogba being more heavily marked and him eventually adjusting his style in the big games that's true. To be fair to Herrera and Fellaini, though, when they were being heavily pressed/marked, they withstood the pressure very well and rarely lost the ball. Herrera's performance away to Liverpool was incredible.

We know what Pogba's capable of, but I've yet to see him have a really good game against similar/superior oppostion even before he came here with Juve/France. Granted, I don't watch much international football or Juve matches so anyone can feel free to correct me here. I think I remember him playing well against Bayern Munich once, though.

It will definitely be interesting to see how he does against the big teams this season now that he's had a year of bedding in, and this is José's second season, too. It'd be nice to see us with a more attacking line-up with someone more adventurous than Fellaini next to him in midfield for the big games to take some of the pressure off of him having the burden to do all the attacking work in midfield, but we all know Mourinho's style and, even if we do play a Pereira or someone there, it's not a guarantee that he'll play to the level that he's very well capable of.
In many big games we played with a very defensive formation. That stick to the qualities of Herrera and Fellaini, not Pogba.
Okay, but Herrera and Fellaini are attacking players themselves and played well in pretty much every big game they took part in. Herrera's and Fellaini's main qualities are with the ball too and us being in a very defensive formation didn't stop them doing alright. Though, to be fair, I guess you could argue Herrera's pressing is his best quality and that he's now a more defensive minded player than attacking.

Jib

Okay, but Herrera and Fellaini are attacking players themselves and played well in pretty much every big game they took part in. Herrera's and Fellaini's main qualities are with the ball too and us being in a very defensive formation didn't stop them doing alright. Though, to be fair, I guess you could argue Herrera's pressing is his best quality and that he's now a more defensive minded player than attacking.
If you want to think that they are technical and flair players, then ok. But it's obvious that they both suit more a defensive team than an attacking one...

Pogba will never be a workhorse.

Yagami

Good post resistant
If you want to think that they are technical and flair players, then ok. But it's obvious that they suit more a defensive team than an attacking one...
I wouldn't class Fellaini as either a technical or flair player, and I wouldn't class Herrera as a flair player but I do think he is a good technical player, but I do think both are more attack minded than defense minded.

You think of Fellaini's best games, you're thinking of him near the oppositions penalty box, chesting the ball down from lobbied balls forward, constantly in the box awaiting a cross. Defensively, I think he's a liability. He's easy to get past, has bad positioning, and is constantly fouling (though some of the fouls called on him are harsh due to his size).

You think of Herrera's best games, it's usually when we're on the front foot dominating possession. He moves the ball well, links-up very nicely with attacking players (especially Mata), and is just a big reason as to why we're able to dominate said games and play some nice stuff. Defensively, he's improved a lot this last year and, in my opinion, looked really good as our deepest CM, but it remains to be seen whether he's still used there this year or if he's brought further forwards as a box to box like he was under LvG. To be fair, I guess you could argue that Herrera's best games have come when we've been defensive because his quick thinking in avoiding pressure is excellent. As I said before, his Liverpool game was incredible and was possibly his best performance for us.

luke511

Does anyone have any footage of his assist for Lukaku's goal yesterday? None of the replays I've seen have it included..

AshRK

He becomes a very irritating player when he starts showboating. I don't want to see this pogba. He needs to keep it simple, one of the best when he does that but when he starts showboating , he comes across pathetic. Jose must talk to him. Don't hold the ball for too long, pass it. You can showboat later on.

Bwuk

People looking way too much into pre season games. Neither him, Lukaku or Mkhi looked like they could be arsed.

Eddy_JukeZ

Our midfield becomes quite poor if one of Pogba/Herrera are not playing imo.

We need a midfielder brought in to compliment those 2.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
He's not a DMF to start with.
Ya, neither is Pereira, when he played the same spot the other game but he still didn't give the ball away needlessly with stupid twists and half turns instead of playing shit simple when necessary.

el3mel

Ya, neither is Pereira, when he played the same spot the other game but he still didn't give the ball away needlessly with stupid twists and half turns instead of playing shit simple when necessary.
Just because Pereira played a good match against MLS teams in this position doesn't mean every player who get thrown in this position need to perform.

Dazzmondo

Way too casual today. Can't slow things down so much when under considerable pressure in competitive games. I don't think he will tbh, I just don't think he was taking this match very seriously and so played very lackadaisically. Still he gave away the ball way more than he should have. Not really worried the way I am by Mkhi's performance but would rather see a more serious performance against Barca

TehRed

He's wasted playing as DM. He's got the passing range to play some nice long balls, but he's far more effective when he's further up the pitch. Hopefully Jose isn't going to play him there very often. He's far too stifled playing that deep.

AP88

Supports
Man City
He's wasted playing as DM. He's got the passing range to play some nice long balls, but he's far more effective when he's further up the pitch. Hopefully Jose isn't going to play him there very often. He's far too stifled playing that deep.

If he had Dier next to him he could push further forward from that deeper role....

But I kinda agree he should be slightly more advanced; given the lack of decent wide options, I'd like to see Jose try a diamond, with both fullbacks permitted to go forward with the anchor dropping in to cover.

De Gea

Valencia-Bailly-Smalling-Shaw/Mitchell

--------------Dier-----------------------
Herrera/Lingard--------Pogba
-------------Mkhi/Mata-------------
----------Lukaku-------Rashford/Martial--

It's important Pogba isn't too 'free' though, because a lack of discipline/intensity brings out his lethargic worst.

Z_Wolf

Imagine being played with dross like Fellaini and McTominay and being expected to boss the game.

Last edited:

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
We rely on him way too much. If he's not up to it, we struggle bit time and I feel having just Herrera next to him who's proper quality wont be enough. Shame Pereira went off, would have loved to see him with Pogba and Herrera

Godfather

Looked like he couldn't care less. Which is ok in a friendly Luke that. Would still have like to see a bit more commitment from him

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He played very well for half an hour. I was thinking to myself how this pre-season he's been brilliant about releasing the ball at the right moment and not over-playing it the way he used to. Then, boom, twice in about five minutes he dallied on the ball and had his pocket picked. That was annoying and soured the impression left by his overall performance. Some of the comments in this thread are very harsh, though.

Robertd0803

Id rather he plays shite in a pre season friendly like this than in a competitive match. I think Herreras injury ruined whatever enthusiasm/gameplan our midfield had.

Status
Not open for further replies.