Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Huh? He didn't create any clear cut chances.

Again great defensively but he wasn't asked to actually do much in an attacking sense.
He didn't create any clear cut chance? Did you see his chance created for Tolisso and Griezmann? That's a very good chance.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Huh? He didn't create any clear cut chances.

Again great defensively but he wasn't asked to actually do much in an attacking sense.
Were you watching the match? He created a chance for Griezmann that he should have scored and then a chance for Tolisso he should have scored too.

Massive Spanner

He did create two good chances tbf. Although the most/best chances were created by Mbappe.
Yeah but in fairness, Mbappe was their main attacking outlet whereas Pogba was playing pretty deep (and practically camping in their own half after their goal).

not taking away from Mbappe, mind, he was sensational.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah but in fairness, Mbappe was their main attacking outlet whereas Pogba was playing pretty deep (and practically camping in their own half after their goal).

not taking away from Mbappe, mind, he was sensational.
I think Pogba had been told to stick to Fellaini whenever Belgium got near their goal (and I was impressed with his diligence in doing so) because as soon as Fellaini went off, he pushed much higher up the pitch and created those two chances. Anyway, I was really only objecting to the idea that he created all their best chances. He obviously didn't. There's been a lot of over-rating of his performance going on since the game. He did play very well but, even if we ignore Mbappe, there were better French performances on the night. For me, Pogba was a solid 7/10. If he does that every game for United we'd have a good chance of winning the league because he's a very influential player. I've seen better games from him, though, including games in a United shirt.

Massive Spanner

I think Pogba had been told to stick to Fellaini whenever Belgium got near their goal (and I was impressed with his diligence in doing so) because as soon as Fellaini went off, he pushed much higher up the pitch and created those two chances. Anyway, I was really only objecting to the idea that he created all their best chances. He obviously didn't. There's been a lot of over-rating of his performance going on since the game. He did play very well but, even if we ignore Mbappe, there were better French performances on the night. For me, Pogba was a solid 7/10. If he does that every game for United we'd have a good chance of winning the league because he's a very influential player. I've seen better games from him, though, including games in a United shirt.
Ah right, I didn't actually see the posts where people said he was their best performer. Obviously he wasn't. Mbappe and the two CBs were.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Ah right, I didn't actually see the posts where people said he was their best performer. Obviously he wasn't. Mbappe and the two CBs were.
Tbf, I'd struggle to find any posts saying he was their best performer. I don't think anyone said that. Someone was talking him up as one of the tournaments best players but the rest was just general gushing about his performance. Which I think was good but not amazing.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He was pushed forward when Nzonzi came on for Giroud, so they had Nzonzi and Kante as midfielders and Pogba played advanced role.

Massive Spanner

Tbf, I'd struggle to find any posts saying he was their best performer. I don't think anyone said that. Someone was talking him up as one of the tournaments best players but the rest was just general gushing about his performance. Which I think was good but not amazing.
If I was to pick a midfield three I might have him there as he has been consistently good. Obviously Modric would be in there, then I'd throw in one or two of Pogba/Coutinho/Kante/Rakitic/Witsel. Hard to say, I don't think any midfielder, bar Modric, and Coutinho on occasion, has been amazing.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
If I was to pick a midfield three I might have him there as he has been consistently good. Obviously Modric would be in there, then I'd throw in one or two of Pogba/Coutinho/Kante/Rakitic/Witsel. Hard to say, I don't think any midfielder, bar Modric, and Coutinho on occasion, has been amazing.
I’d say both other French CMs have been as good as Pogba this tournament. United fans naturally focus more on him but I’m not sure many neutrals would say he’s been a level above Kante and Matuidi.

But yeah, he just might make a team of the tournament. But on a short-list for player of the tournament? I don’t think so.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I’d say both other French CMs have been as good as Pogba this tournament. United fans naturally focus more on him but I’m not sure many neutrals would say he’s been a level above Kante and Matuidi.

But yeah, he just might make a team of the tournament. But on a short-list for player of the tournament? I don’t think so.
Matuidi and Pogba have been excellent but Kanté is on an other planet. There are some debates in France about Kanté making it look so casual that people are overlooking him.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Matuidi and Pogba have been excellent but Kanté is on an other planet. There are some debates in France about Kanté making it look so casual that people are overlooking him.
Yeah, he’s been the best. Agreed. I know Matuidi hasn’t played every game but he’s seriously impressed me too. In fact, I’d rank them Kante, Matuidi, Pogba. In that order. In a weird way, though, it’s good to see Pogba not catching the eye as much. These sort of low key, disciplined and effective perfomances are what we need to see more of at United

Stacks

Mature performance. Hoping for a repeat in the final to replace his poor showing in the Euro final two years ago.
Very mature performance and created 2 very good chances.
I was very impressed by how disciplined he was this game, well done to him. Hopefully Fred has good influence on unlocking his full potential for us, Jose needs to get him to play like he does for France here.
Exactly what I felt. very mature and disciplined. almost like he was content to sacrifice the self indulgent play we frequently saw at United. How many pointless halfway line dribbles, long shots and unnecessary physical battles have we seen in this tournament? Holding the ball too long? Never Basically he can play like this if he wants to but for some reason at United the star on his head grows and indulges himself a bit too much. Jose needs to possibly be more strict perhaps? maybe he can speak to Conte or Deschamps as to how to get Paul to buy into his more reserved role.
Pogba was great defensively but did nothing in attack
created some great chances
Pretty frustrating watching him play like he's actually part of and responsible to a team during this tournament, as opposed to the often indisciplined and indulgent displays we saw in a Utd shirt last season. Really hope he can bring this attitude and maturity back with him, got all the tools to be the best.
i agree

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
I am glad he's playing a biut more defensively for France. He will learn a lot from there and he can apply it in United shirt after. Even if he plays in an advanced position Fred, Herrera, Matic being more defensive players to be paired with he should be able to fight and win the ball everywhere on the pitch

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
He's been outstanding as a defensive playmaker throughout the tournament. Doing a great job for the team. Ticking things over, then at the right times, splitting defences as only he can with raking passes.

If his name was Carrick he'd be being fawned over by most United fans for his performance yesterday

Fer

Pogba has played really good in a midfield of 2 with Kante.

He also was better next to Matic with Lingard as #10 instead of the famous LCM position.

For france, he has been more important as a defensive playmaker than a creative one.

Where do you think he should play for us? On the left of a midfield of 3 as always? Or he should take a new role similar like in the French team?

He's been outstanding as a defensive playmaker throughout the tournament. Doing a great job for the team. Ticking things over, then at the right times, splitting defences as only he can with raking passes.

If his name was Carrick he'd be being fawned over by most United fans for his performance yesterday
I don't understand what you're trying to say. Most United fans have been praising his performance.

Jev

He also was better next to Matic with Lingard as #10 instead of the famous LCM position.

For france, he has been more important as a defensive playmaker than a creative one.

Where do you think he should play for us? On the left of a midfield of 3 as always? Or he should take a new role similar like in the French team?
Matic
Lingard-Pogba

Seems to me to be the way to go after what we've seen this tournament. With Fred hopefully good enough to push Lingard for the starting spot. Fellaini doing the occasional chaotic cameo.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I don't understand what you're trying to say. Most United fans have been praising his performance.
That maybe there are some that would lavish praise if it was Carrick but aren't so fullsome in there praise for Pogba.

Inter Yer Nan

Out of curiosity, who are these texts coming from? Rival fans? Fans with usually reasonable opinions? Or just pure ABUs?

Can't comment on his performance as I didn't watch, but it's quite striking if the normally critical Redcafe is giving him high praise and yet he's being slated elsewhere.
It’s a group text combination of Liverpool fans/City obsessors/Barca/Messi fans mainly hate United more though. Every United player is garbage to them apart from De Gea but even now he’s proven to be “shite”. I also get it from United “fans” too but even they have admittedbhes been class at the World Cup but manage to muster up “he’s still overrated”.

Funny thing is I couldn’t stop hearing how great Pogba was and would sign for Barca or City and he was proof that Fergie was overrated and not a good judge of quality. Then he signed and one month later Pogba was awful and apparently has been at this cup. They despise France now (despite loving them and dying for them to beat Portugal because of Ronaldo in the Euros)

I just ask what technical weaknesses does he really have that make him inept? I get nothing. I ask what has he done/hasn’t he done to have been poor this cup? Just hear “no assists no goals” yet they marvel over Xavi in 2010 who I believe registered neither and was player of the tournament.

Last edited:

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
It’s a group text combination of Liverpool fans/City obsessors/Barca/Messi fans mainly hate United more though. Every United player is garbage to them apart from De Gea but even now he’s proven to be “shite”. I also get it from United “fans” too but even they have admittedbhes been class at the World Cup but manage to muster up “he’s still overrated”.

Funny thing is I couldn’t stop hearing how great Pogba was and would sign for Barca or City and he was proof that Fergie was overrated and not a good judge of quality. Then he signed and one month later Pogba was awful and apparently has been at this cup. They despise France now (despite loving them and dying for them to beat Portugal because of Ronaldo in the Euros)

I just ask what technical weaknesses does he really have that make him inept? I get nothing. I ask what has he done/hasn’t he done to have been poor this cup? Just hear “no assists no goals” yet they marvel over Xavi in 2010 who I believe registered neither and was player of the tournament.
Wow. Thought Pogba and Utd in general would be fairly irrelevant to Barca/Messi fans actually. The rest are to be expected I guess :rolleyes: Thank goodness my family of Liverpool supporters don't behave like that.

edgar allan

Yes because he has to play with shit players like Matic, Sanchez, martial, Lukaku Mata and de gea

Give it a rest we have great players and pogba plays with great players just as with France
Now, we all know that Sanchez isn't much good :)

Kag

That's not true, his effort in all parts of the pitch today was excellent. We haven't seen many performances like that.
I'm not describing his effort. I'm describing his position on the pitch. Like I said, if he plays that game at United in a defeat to a bigger side then there would be questions regarding his apparent 'role' in the side.

Vilev

I saw the same exact pogba, but with Varane, Kante and Matuidi covering his mistakes.
Nonsense. What mistake were that exactly?

In MU Pogba also plays alongside Matic, who does bulk of defensive work. What he needs and desperately lacks is a simple professionalism. In Belgium match he was "fouled" like 4-5 times, ref did not call it. At MU Pogba would sulk, roll on the pitch, waving at ref, anything but getting up and sprinting, i repeat sprinting back. The best he could do is get up after 20-30 seconds and then walk back nonchalantly.
In that game he was on the feet after a couple of seconds and was running back to do his job, maybe while bad-mouthing ref to himself, but that did not faze him. There is a definite difference in his demeanor. At France he is just a cog and knows it, here he behaves like a princeling of sorts.

Walters_19_MuFc

Player of the tournament?! I’m not sure he’s even in the the top three for France!

Mbappe, Varane and Matuidi were all better tonight. Kante’s probably been marginally better over the course of tournament. Griezmann is in with a shout too.

I’ve been pleased as anyone with Pogba’s WC performances. Very mature, disciplined and consistent. Great to see. However people are getting very carried away IMO. Which is understandable, I guess. It is a relief to see him hopefully carry this sort of form into next season. So I can understand the desire to see a little bit more in his performances than he’s actually producing on the pitch.
I did say he has to be up there, and I believe he should be.

Varane, Mbappe and Matuidi were quite poor in the group stages, whereas Pogba has been good throughout.

edgar allan

I'm not describing his effort. I'm describing his position on the pitch. Like I said, if he plays that game at United in a defeat to a bigger side then there would be questions regarding his apparent 'role' in the side.
He was everywhere on the pitch, exactly what you hope for in a midfielder. No jogging half paced back after an attack breaks down. For me it was motivation and application not tactics that was the compelling difference.

Jib

At France he is just a cog and knows it, here he behaves like a princeling of sorts.
Well, France didn't bought him for 100 millions € and they have a lot of WC players.

Here ? Lukaku ? Sanchez ? Lingard ? Matic ? LMAO

Except Pogba, the only WC player is De Gea and he's awful with his NT...

So yeah, he doesn't want to be in a supporting role here...

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa

Pogba has and will ALWAYS be best as an 8 playing behind a creative 10 ahead of him. At United he appears to struggle because he keeps being forced to play the double role of a double pivot and the 10 because we literally dont have a proper 10/consistent10 in the entire squad. Yet when we are forced to use him as a 10 we simply lose what makes him best as a midfield player.

meamth

Yeah, he’s been the best. Agreed. I know Matuidi hasn’t played every game but he’s seriously impressed me too. In fact, I’d rank them Kante, Matuidi, Pogba. In that order. In a weird way, though, it’s good to see Pogba not catching the eye as much. These sort of low key, disciplined and effective perfomances are what we need to see more of at United
I think each player complement each other...without Pogba there is no playmaking from deep, without Kante there is no ball retention and protection for the back. When you combine those two you got one of the best midfield unit in the tournament.

Matuidi is just an extra dressing for an already great salad, more bite. :houllier:

Icemav

Nonsense. What mistake were that exactly?

In MU Pogba also plays alongside Matic, who does bulk of defensive work. What he needs and desperately lacks is a simple professionalism. In Belgium match he was "fouled" like 4-5 times, ref did not call it. At MU Pogba would sulk, roll on the pitch, waving at ref, anything but getting up and sprinting, i repeat sprinting back. The best he could do is get up after 20-30 seconds and then walk back nonchalantly.
In that game he was on the feet after a couple of seconds and was running back to do his job, maybe while bad-mouthing ref to himself, but that did not faze him. There is a definite difference in his demeanor. At France he is just a cog and knows it, here he behaves like a princeling of sorts.
Perhaps this last season at United under Mou has helped him to grow up. Mou has given him a number of tough assignments, some he has completed successfully and others he has been underwhelming, and remember that Mou dropped him for a time because of his attitude. I am sure France are grateful for this and Pogba seems focused and mature in this WC.

I look forward to seeing him play for us next season playing with more discipline and committed to winning.

Jib

Pogba has and will ALWAYS be best as an 8 playing behind a creative 10 ahead of him. At United he appears to struggle because he keeps being forced to play the double role of a double pivot and the 10 because we literally dont have a proper 10/consistent10 in the entire squad. Yet when we are forced to use him as a 10 we simply lose what makes him best as a midfield player.
In what world ?

Craig Ward

Quite surreal watching the Pogba for France v the Pogba for us.

Seems more disciplined, committed, keeps the play simple and does his job requested of him for the benefit of the TEAM.

Shows he has got what it takes, just for whatever reason he doesn't perform consistently like he does for France, for us. Maybe its a Jose issue? Maybe its a attitude issue from Pogba? Whatever it is, we need to see his france form for us, or he will continue to underwhelm and not reach the level he can for us.

I hope next season he becomes more consistent and delivers, I'm tired of his "hype" and waiting for him to develop as a player here. Needs a big season

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Quite surreal watching the Pogba for France v the Pogba for us.

Seems more disciplined, committed, keeps the play simple and does his job requested of him for the benefit of the TEAM.

Shows he has got what it takes, just for whatever reason he doesn't perform consistently like he does for France, for us. Maybe its a Jose issue? Maybe its a attitude issue from Pogba? Whatever it is, we need to see his france form for us, or he will continue to underwhelm and not reach the level he can for us.

I hope next season he becomes more consistent and delivers, I'm tired of his "hype" and waiting for him to develop as a player here. Needs a big season
It's been far from a smooth road with France for him though. Same inconsistency on show. Wasn't he booed in a pre World cup friendly? Maybe he's just maturing.

Bwuk

Think he’s been Frances best midfielder and comfortably so.

Kante is great at winning the ball, but some of the passes Pogba can do he can only dream of. Plus Pogba has put a shift in a shift defensively too.

Jib

In the very world in which he spent 3 seasons at Juventus doing exactly that.......
He spent 4 seasons at Juventus and the only #10 was Roberto Pereyra, he wasn't that creative and only played 2 seasons as supersub...

But if you think that Pirlo is a #10 :houllier:

Or Vidal ? Marchisio ? Tevez ? Anelka ? Bendtner ? Llorente ? Vucinic ? Matri ? Mandzukic ? Cuadrado ? Morata ? Dybala ? Zaza ? :lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.