Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemur

A fantastic world cup??

Are people honesty shitting me here???

He had a very good game against Argentina and a good second half in the final...

Fantastic??? It'll be the best world cup anyone has ever had next week

Why do posters like this^ patrol the Pogba thread spewing tripe.

The poster you quoted was very correct, Pogba had a great world cup, only fools try to play that down.

Funny thing is Pogba was as good against Australia, Uruguay as he was against Argentina and in fact the Belgium game was his best.

Before you impune someone, know your facts.

Talk all you want about twitter but there is some real prejudice on this forum.

The Nani

Once again, it has nothing to do with him doing miracles. It has to do with him putting the effort in, doing the basics. I am not an idiot to blame Pogba for the 3-0 loss, that is completely on Young and De Gea. But, when things aren't going well he plays with so much immaturity, strolls about and tries to play like it is street football. I don't think he has a good overall game in several weeks, probably Crystal Palace was the last one. He has gone back to being ineffective and popping up with one or two moments.

I have a feeling that he does what he does partly because his team mates have let him down so often, but I don't think that is a reason at all to not try for them either. As an attacking midfielder your duty is to work in tandem with your forwards, even if they lose the ball over and over you still try to get it to them, even if they fail to find your runs over and over you still keep on making them. No need to try extremely low percentage plays out of frustration.
The stats show that he runs more than anyone in the team. It’s the lack of effort narrartive is lazy, not Pogba.

You do raise an interesting point though. I do think he gets frustrated and tries to bypass certain players or go for the elaborate to try to make something happen at times. And honestly, who can blame him considering how the ball just bounces off our attackers straight back to the opposition most of the time.

Walters_19_MuFc

The poster you quoted was very correct, Pogba had a great world cup, only fools try to play that down.

Funny thing is Pogba was as good against Australia, Uruguay as he was against Argentina and in fact the Belgium game was his best.

I agree.

What really impressed me about Belgium was his defensive work. He man marked Fellaini and did a fantastic job.

Walters_19_MuFc

I think we should just play him as a deep-lying playmaker. Partner him up with a proper ball-winner i.e. Kante, Gueye, Allan, etc and allow him to dictate play like he does for France.

The Nani

We just got dicked 4-0 on aggregate home and away by Barca. I am not sure what this statement is meant to herald. Not exactly a glowing endorsement of his abilities, considering the so called weak links gave performances to be proud of and positively aided the platform for a midfielder of his ability to shine.
The weak links are upfront. Pogba can’t set up and finish a move. Whether we take a chance or miss it has nothing to do with him.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?

Prejudice in what way exactly?

Thread very carefully here

Last edited:

Canagel

The lengths some will go to discredit Pogba is amazing but not surprising. Not the EL best player and didn't have a fantastic world cup.
Doesn't run for the badge when his running stats are near the highest of the team.
The agenda is rife.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
The lengths some will go to discredit Pogba is amazing but not surprising. Not the EL best player and didn't have a fantastic world cup.
Doesn't run for the badge when his running stats are near the highest of the team.
The agenda is rife.
But he didn't have a fantastic WC...This is what is so laughable and shocking from people like you.
He had a good WC and I was hyped to get him back in that form! Fantastic, you're talking Ronaldo 2002 levels or Messi 2014 levels! He was nowhere near their performances at those tournaments!

EL best player? If that means English League, you're f**king insane if you think he's been the best player in the league

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
You seem quite annoyed he doesn't have a song.. I dont remember fan favs like Beckham, Yorke, Rio or schmeichel having songs either. Pogba is mentioned in the 'Oles at the wheel' one we sing at the minute.

John OShea isnt a club legend (He was liability alot of the time) but we have a novelty one for him. Songs just work for some players and dont work for others.
All of these had individual songs.

Cliche Guevara

United need to come to the realization that he is an attacking midfielder, not a CDM or box to box. It's no coincidence that he looks his best as a number 10 and looks his worst as a number 6 or 8. We all look at KDB last night and ask the same of Pogba but let's also look at KDB's midfield partners and the overall talent around him. Play Pogba in this City team and you get performances just as good if not better. Put KDB on this United team and see how effective he is with our lack of movement and playing alongside McTominay/Herrera. Our second best midfielder is probably equivalent to City's 3 or 4.
Sorry but this is just nonsense from start to finish. Every point is completely wrong.

Eddy_JukeZ

I think we should just play him as a deep-lying playmaker. Partner him up with a proper ball-winner i.e. Kante, Gueye, Allan, etc and allow him to dictate play like he does for France.
He is not good at dictating play and controlling the tempo IMO.

His short passing game isn't metronome enough and he lingers on the ball too much.

Ideally, he'd be the furthest forward of a midfield 3. Like at the beginning of Ole's time here. That was genuinely the best I've seen Pogba play.

We should drop the diamond honestly. I feel like our performances have been gash since we switched to it.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
What I will say about Pogba is as much as there is, probably valid, accusation of him ‘dwelling on the ball’ - he never ignores a runner. When he gets it, there’s rarely ever an accusation that a pass was on and he didn’t release it. Almost every time, he’ll hit a forward when he gets it if they are on their bike. As we know, our movement isn’t very good in general, and if forwards were on the move as soon as he got it, he’ll hit them from anywhere on the pitch.

That said, he needs to learn to be patient and keep it simple/moving when he gets it and there are no options. He seems to want to hold it until he sees a pass he can make to put someone through on goal, and you don’t get that all the time.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
The stats show that he runs more than anyone in the team. It’s the lack of effort narrartive is lazy, not Pogba.

You do raise an interesting point though. I do think he gets frustrated and tries to bypass certain players or go for the elaborate to try to make something happen at times. And honestly, who can blame him considering how the ball just bounces off our attackers straight back to the opposition most of the time.
It does get tiring debunking these very obvious half truths. Pogba is not lazy, he simply doesn't do the work in specific areas and compensates it in other areas.

It is very obvious to see. If he loses the ball high up the pitch he either throws a strop or makes a rash challenge. On the other hand, if we are on a counter attack in the 90th minute he'll bust a gut to get forward. I think it is clear that Pogba does not enjoy doing the defensive work, but does enjoy the offensive work, this shows in his work rate in different areas of the pitch.

doriandun

It does get tiring debunking these very obvious half truths. Pogba is not lazy, he simply doesn't do the work in specific areas and compensates it in other areas.

It is very obvious to see. If he loses the ball high up the pitch he either throws a strop or makes a rash challenge. On the other hand, if we are on a counter attack in the 90th minute he'll bust a gut to get forward. I think it is clear that Pogba does not enjoy doing the defensive work, but does enjoy the offensive work, this shows in his work rate in different areas of the pitch.
Pogba skillset are more aligned to him being a midfielder more than a straight up attacker, in the mold of Coutinho, Isco, Son, or Ozil,which means he will have to do both sides of the game, as an attacker you would be excepted to put in crosses,dribble, play thru balls, make runs of the ball, take on players and press.

All Pogba had has to do is have word with the manager and say, i would like to play behind the striker as a second striker, i.e the Torres and Gerrard partnership, i understand we are currently short on numbers so till the end of the season i will help the team, by playing a little deeper, if you can make assurances that players will come in to take on the role of playmaker in the mold of an Eikssen or Xabi Alonso.

Aloysius's Back 3

I find Pogba very overrated.

Whilst it's true he needs better players around him - he does have multiple gaps in his game for someone who was a world record transfer a few years ago.

Does he need better players for him to be good at taking a shot from distance - an aspect to his game he was supposed to be good at? His passing is decent but not good enough to be the sole distributor. His defensive work for a midfielder is rubbish and he doesn't have the finesse to his game to be played as the Attacking Midfielder either.

Whilst I don't want the lad gone - the guy can't have a team built around him - he simply isn't good enough to deserve such a thing.

The Nani

Yet again I just think many will reach for whatever arguments they possibly can to slate Pogba.

He’s been working his bollocks off this past month. Got frustrated and was totally gassed in the second half against Barca Tuesday. But who can blame him?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Yet again I just think many will reach for whatever arguments they possibly can to slate Pogba.

He’s been working his bollocks off this past month. Got frustrated and was totally gassed in the second half against Barca Tuesday. But who can blame him?
That is hardly a reach, countless posters have noticed his willingness to make runs in attack but his unwillingness to track back properly after losing the ball. I don't think it has one iota to do with being gassed, if we are on the attack I can be confident in saying that Pogba will be one of the hardest runners and the opposite when we are being counter attacked.

We are vulnerable to counter attacks when Pogba is on the ball, it happens with a player that takes as many risks as he does while not tracking back. Nothing wrong with being that type of player, but I'm not gonna act like Pogba is the new Roy Keane in terms of getting stuck in.

Lemur

I find Pogba very overrated.

Whilst it's true he needs better players around him - he does have multiple gaps in his game for someone who was a world record transfer a few years ago.

Does he need better players for him to be good at taking a shot from distance - an aspect to his game he was supposed to be good at? His passing is decent but not good enough to be the sole distributor. His defensive work for a midfielder is rubbish and he doesn't have the finesse to his game to be played as the Attacking Midfielder either.

Whilst I don't want the lad gone - the guy can't have a team built around him - he simply isn't good enough to deserve such a thing.
Okay in order.

What you find and the reality in front of you are two different things.

Players who command a world record fee vs a player who for which a high fee is paid are two different things, the former never occurs for an overrated player(except Denilson).

Plain trolling, if someone can ask that question about a player who has so many long range goals over his career(short one thus far) then check-in to the mental.

Last line from you is simply to be ignored as it conflicts seriously with reality.

Last edited:

The Nani

That is hardly a reach, countless posters have noticed his willingness to make runs in attack but his unwillingness to track back properly after losing the ball. I don't think it has one iota to do with being gassed, if we are on the attack I can be confident in saying that Pogba will be one of the hardest runners and the opposite when we are being counter attacked.

We are vulnerable to counter attacks when Pogba is on the ball, it happens with a player that takes as many risks as he does while not tracking back. Nothing wrong with being that type of player, but I'm not gonna act like Pogba is the new Roy Keane in terms of getting stuck in.
He’s been doing much more defensive work than attacking the past few weeks unfortunately so yes it is a massive reach.

Smores

He’s been doing much more defensive work than attacking the past few weeks unfortunately so yes it is a massive reach.
Nah you're just ignoring a very obvious flaw to his game that has universally been observed since he arrived here. Rooney lost the ball up front and charged back to put in a tackle Pogba (and Martial) lose it and walk back in self-reflection shaking their heads.

Not a single united fan has failed to witness that and any that say haven't can only be lying (or actually blind)

breakout67

Supports
Man City
That has to do with injuries to midfield forcing him deeper. It is not something that he wants to do or excels at, he just does a job (he has said in interviews that he loves having the ball and attacking with it, that is his main focus when playing). I would say McTominay is comfortably better at the defensive work than Pogba and it shows where he has been widely regarded as on of our top performers in the CL knockout ties while Pogba has underwhelmed. Of course, Pogba is miles better as a player, and he is not a defensive minded midfielder, but that doesn't change the fact that he just does a job in those areas.

Aloysius's Back 3

Okay in order.

What you find and the reality in front of you are two different things.

Players who command a world record fee vs a player who for which a high fee is paid are two different things, the former never occurs for an overrated player(except Denilson).

Plain trolling, if someone can ask that question about a player who has so many long range goals over his career(short one thus far) then check-in to the mental.

Last line from you is simply to be ignored as it conflicts seriously with reality.
I find you very cute

The Nani

Nah you're just ignoring a very obvious flaw to his game that has universally been observed since he arrived here. Rooney lost the ball up front and charged back to put in a tackle Pogba (and Martial) lose it and walk back in self-reflection shaking their heads.

Not a single united fan has failed to witness that and any that say haven't can only be lying (or actually blind)
Of course I’ve seen it. But to act as if it’s the norm for him smacks of tribalism at best.

haram

It’s true, you can see Pogba ambling about defensively and then run through the entire oppositions team a minute later.

Intilo

Down tooling to get Mourinho sacked was his biggest mistake, He has been wank for at least the 10 last game and has no one to scapegoat for it. Sell him to Madrid if he asked for pay rise and let him get abused there by their match going fans on weekly basis.

Last edited:

breakout67

Supports
Man City
It’s true, you can see Pogba ambling about defensively and then run through the entire oppositions team a minute later.
Yep, its on of the most obvious facets of his game. The guy is a man mountain, he has some engine on him, in the 90th minute he can outsprint everyone on the pitch on a counter attack. I personally don't think there's much wrong with that when Pogba is putting up the numbers he does, but keep him far away from the middle of the pitch, play him as a support to the forwards as an attacking midfielder that has less defensive duties.

Celoti23-81

For some apparent reason, since we have been awful and Pogba was man marked against PSG, he has not been getting into the oppositions box at all! I can't figure why that is either. It's plainly obvious that the only way we will reap awards like the first few games under OGS is that we revert back to Pogba more attacking and doing what he was back then. He is NOT a deep lying playmaker. Maybe in an easier league but not the Premier league. He has no discipline

Lemur

Food for thought: Pogba vs Gerrard.

Maybe the perception of Pogba is skin deep as much as anything.
Thank you for that, if you can post that video directly that would be stellar.

That reddit thread seem so much more mature though, blimey.

Seeing past the media narrative is what real fans do, those that aren't prejudiced.

Everton 4:0 Man Utd

Dion

Lost count of the amount of times he gave the ball to a teammate who promptly fecked things up in the most rudimentary way. Will almost certainly be off at the end of the season and I can't blame him.

el3mel

The midfield got absolutely slaughtered by a third tier Everton midfield but hey! he did one or 2 good passes. Can't expect anymore from our best fecking player I guess. Should be content with that. Get the feck in Pog!

He'll be leaving and you can't blame him. He's 26 and should be winning trophies. He played some great passes today and we wasted every single one of them.

Zoo

Paul Pogba should leave for a high quality team where he can compete for league titles and Champions League trophies. He was the only United player that showed any semblance of quality today but as usual he’ll become the lightning rod for everything on here and in the media. I wish him well. United can take the money and rebuild from ground zero.

In Rainbows

The midfield got absolutely slaughtered by a third tier Everton midfield but hey! he did one or 2 good passes. Can't expect anymore from our best fecking player I guess. Should be content with that. Get the feck in Pog!
Get over it. Pog is our best player.

Status
Not open for further replies.