Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loublaze

ATLien
Those sprint statistics are damning and just confirm why I've run out of excuses for Pogba.

He has a seriously detrimental effect on the team's overall play.

As Keane said, "He plays for himself."

Hope we can get a proper fee this summer.
Have you seen the sprinting stats of our other players to make a reasonable comparison? You do realize that United collectively have covered the third least distance in the league right? Our sprints total are also at the bottom. Looking at Pogba's stats in singularity and bashing him for it is rather silly in the absence of other player stats to compare him too.

The Nani

Have you seen the sprinting stats of our other players to make a reasonable comparison? You do realize that United collectively have covered the third least distance in the league right? Our sprints total are also at the bottom. Looking at Pogba's stats in singularity and bashing him for it is rather silly in the absence of other player stats to compare him too.
Yeah, just read @Pogue Mahone‘s posts a page back.

Pogba not even listed in our top six players in terms of sprints per match.

And Lukaku sprints at least twice as much.

Let that sink in.

SteveW

It kills me that sensible posts like this will go unnoticed

SteveW

Let that sink in.
You are judging CMs by sprints per game. Think about that. You are stupid

Loublaze

ATLien

22% of the time actually. 64% of the time he’s walking. A higher % than any other PL midfielder.

These stats are kind of hard to unbundle. His % jogging and “low speed running” are also unusually low. And the overall distance is pretty good, with sprints more or less on the median. So that’s good, right?
Could you please post the links to verify this?

Loublaze

ATLien
It kills me that sensible posts like this will go unnoticed
Yes, i've seen a lot of people on here and social media go ape shit over these stats without even knowing the stats of other players, so im waiting for the data of other midfielders in the league to compare.

Loublaze

ATLien

Let that sink in.
Like @SteveW said, forwards (and fullbacks) are expected to sprint more than midfielders. How does Pogba stack up against his fellow midfielders at the club? A comprehensive break down of all the players would give us the answers we need, but there isn't one, they are selective in how and when they release this information, its not readily available on sites like squawka or whoscored for instance. I'd lay off criticizing him for this, you could risk being made to look foolish when static Matic and Herrera's stats are published

haram

He only plays with intensity when he has the ball or when there is a clear counter on. That being said, considering his size, it might just be difficult for him to defend with intensity in terms of how he runs and closing down other players and spaces.

Patrick08

He only plays with intensity when he has the ball or when there is a clear counter on. That being said, considering his size, it might just be difficult for him to defend with intensity in terms of how he runs and closing down other players and spaces.
He is being slated by a pundit for jogging back and not putting effort in for bernardo Silva goal.

Everyone can see it.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
You are judging CMs by sprints per game. Think about that. You are stupid
:lol:

Great post. Stats without context can lead to crazy interpretations

Keefy18

Let's not sully the names of players infinitely better than Pogba for simply this club because Pogba currently has a cult of worshippers who won't hear any criticism of him..
We're not sullying their names, they sullied their own names in many instances. I said this already a few pages back on here.

The hypocrisy of a scum bag, trouble maker like Keane to say Pogba is a disruptive person when he doesn't know dick about the lad.

Keane was the antithesis of "model pro" for a young player to look up to in many respects bar his on the pitch efforts. Everything else screamed bully, scum bag, bad attitude and self righteous.

Those sprint statistics are damning and just confirm why I've run out of excuses for Pogba.

He has a seriously detrimental effect on the team's overall play.

As Keane said, "He plays for himself."

Hope we can get a proper fee this summer.
Messi is often the "laziest" player in El Classico. He walked 83% of one particular Classico.

Messi was the laziest out field player at the 2014 world cup ffs.

As for Keane, he's a hypocrite, he went into business for himself and buried his entire team. A team that included modern day great players like Van Der Saar & RVN.

Keane is arguably the most disruptive player in United's history.

Last edited:

Bestietom

I ignore stats and judge on what I see with my own eyes, and with the bit of knowledge I have of the game of football I can see that there are many players who are not giving their all lately. I don't know why but I am guessing that their is something forming in the dressing room.

Players cheekily asking for more that double their wages whilst they are not performing annoys me. These players will have to be rooted out of this club. Nobody bigger than the club or manager should be the rule we stick to. Anyone going to games can see the big change in attitude and performance in the last 2 months.

It is disgraceful with the money these players are paid to let us down so badly.

The Nani

Like @SteveW said, forwards (and fullbacks) are expected to sprint more than midfielders. How does Pogba stack up against his fellow midfielders at the club? A comprehensive break down of all the players would give us the answers we need, but there isn't one, they are selective in how and when they release this information, its not readily available on sites like squawka or whoscored for instance. I'd lay off criticizing him for this, you could risk being made to look foolish when static Matic and Herrera's stats are published
I’m well aware of the rudimentary fact in your first sentence.

But considering the fact that Pogba normally goes on a few runs with the ball each match, we’re then talking about him sprinting maybe once or twice a match off the ball which may or may not be a defensive action.

While stats can certainly be misleading, that’s not the case here.

And again, just confirms what I’ve been seeing for a while now from Pogba after a seemingly brief uptick in workrate after OGS took over.

fps

Pogba's role in the team is, or should be, to create chances and get forward to take shots, while also dictating tempo.

He has been creating chances for other players in matches, I'd say the only one to do so recently? He hasn't been able to get up the pitch though because of the paucity of quality around him, and he hasn't been able to dictate tempo because when he gets the ball all the other players run away from him! Often he is holding the ball, shielding it, because he recognises the lack of control other players have - such as Young's hoofball or Fred's giving the ball away - and recognises that he is going to have to shoulder the burden of United actually holding on to the ball.

Pogba so obviously wants to play possession football, and was so much obviously better when United started to do so when Ole first joined. Since then, United have moved to playing a more cautious, counter-attacking style, and with that lack of bravery on the ball from others, performances have fallen back to Mourinho levels. Pogba is then frustrated, because it means he has fewer touches, further from goal.

He's a top player, but unless the style changes back, or the personnel around him change, he's the wrong player at the wrong time for Man Utd.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Let that sink in.
The stats in that post aren't per match but total and there is something wrong with them since it doesn't match their stats from last season, for all players.

By the way there is something strange about your stats from September. Look at this article from Sky about Pogba, he is far higher than 6 sprints per game.

Steerpike

Not enough. The fans in England doesn't relate to these type of footballers that plays with the brain. Anyone not busting the gut for the whole game lacks 'effort' and 'doesn't care' . We must have 11 workhorses at all times.
Man City has a midfield which wouldn't look out of place at Barcelona, and Liverpool has a midfield which wouldn't look out of place at Stoke. Both teams are playing better, more successful, football than we are. The common denominator is that both teams have players who give maximum effort and obviously do care about their club. They don't carry passengers.

Prior to City being knocked out by Spurs (another team with a hardworking midfield having a better season than us), they were favourites to win the Champions League. Though I dread to think about it, Liverpool still could win the Champions League.

If fans in England can't relate to lazy players, it's just possible that it's because they understand that success comes through such things as effort and commitment. Pogba isn't the only player in the team who comes up short on those counts, but he is certainly one of them.

Loublaze

ATLien
I’m well aware of the rudimentary fact in your first sentence.

But considering the fact that Pogba normally goes on a few runs with the ball each match, we’re then talking about him sprinting maybe once or twice a match off the ball which may or may not be a defensive action.

While stats can certainly be misleading, that’s not the case here.

And again, just confirms what I’ve been seeing for a while now from Pogba after a seemingly brief uptick in workrate after OGS took over.
The 'rudimentary' fact is important, because you need to see the same extensive data for other midfielders to make a sensible comparison, and the tweet doesn't show that, it merely shows his position among 79 midfielders, and im guessing we're supposed to accept it without a full breakdown.

There's not enough information there to come to the conclusions you're making here. The poster of the tweet, if privy to that same data for others should've made it available but im almost certain he doesn't have it. So the stats confirm what you see with your own eyes? Fair enough, but to me your post reeks of confirmation bias

:lol:

Great post. Stats without context can lead to crazy interpretations
Can lead you say? :lol: You're totally right, look at the state of this thread and social media.

:confused: It’s in the tweet I posted.

“1/79”
Are you interested in seeing the same data for some of the other 78 midfielders or United's other midfielders? The information is out there but selective public release of it in this manner leads to these wild accusations we're seeing. We can only make fair comparisons when all of it is made available

Last edited:

el3mel

Very well first half, but like the rest of the team went missing the second one.

poleglass red

He is a great player in a great team. He did it at juve in a league they dominated. He did it with france in a team littered with world class talent. He did decent in 1st half when we played well. 2nd half he was poor when we were. Hes not a leader. Hes a luxury player.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Still doesn't know when to release the ball
The only time Pogba holds on to the ball is when he doesn’t see anything on. I admit that he should turn back and play it simple. But what I’d say about Pogba is that he always releases the ball if there is a pass on. Never fails to play the runner in.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Played well but our fitness levels caught up with us in the second half. We just couldn't maintain the tempo and intensity.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Terrific today, much improved on the previous games. Definitely faded though, but also I've noticed wayyyyy less runs in the box from him compared to the start of Ole's time. We'll see if he stays or goes. So much uncertainty from everyone.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Very good first half, faded in the 2nd.

Had a degree of sympathy for him at one point because it was absolutely making me seethe with anger. Rashford and Lukaku's movement was non existent and quite frankly a disgrace for who are apparently a top class striker and one of the brightest talents in world football.

Then I remembered the money he's on and the lifestyle he has in comparison to mine and my sympathy disappeared :D

kundalini

Ordinary performance. One good slalom run before getting fouled, apart from that, created nothing, no shots, dispossessed 4 times, 0 tackles 1 interception.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
As a constant critic, I feel obliged to also comment when I think he did OK, didn’t completely stink the place out of it. At least he showed some proper hustle today.

Brophs

The One and Only
He did well today, I thought. He looks knackered late in games, though. Long season.

humdinger

He did fine. He was constantly fouled and ended up trying to do a lot on his own but that’s his team mates’ fault rather than his.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Thought he was good in the first half.

Does anyone has video of him getting past two or three of their players and opting for another dribble after which they obviously fouled him when he had Herrera open in much better position? He always has those annoying moments which basically ruin his game. Even if they didn't foul him there he was going in crowd of Chelsea players with that move instead of passing it ti Herrera who was in much better position from what I can remember.

Web of Bissaka

Does anyone has video of him getting past two or three of their players and opting for another dribble after which they obviously fouled him when he had Herrera open in much better position? He always has those annoying moments which basically ruin his game. Even if they didn't foul him there he was going in crowd of Chelsea players with that move instead of passing it ti Herrera who was in much better position from what I can remember.
Isn't that the time where he was surrounded by Chelsea players, and no good angle to pass to his teammates. His only choice is to try dribble past 'em and try to win a foul and he did. Tbf, to him, he may not see where Herrera is, being pressured by many players disrupted him looking for his teammates.

Maybe I remember wrongly.

Irwin99

Ordinary performance. One good slalom run before getting fouled, apart from that, created nothing, no shots, dispossessed 4 times, 0 tackles 1 interception.
Never seems to find the space for the long range shots we saw him pull off for Juve. Not exactly a criticism of him as I know the movement around him and the cohesion in this team is god awful but I just find it strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.