Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

clarkydaz

Never seems to find the space for the long range shots we saw him pull off for Juve. Not exactly a criticism of him as I know the movement around him and the cohesion in this team is god awful but I just find it strange.
he done it constantly in his first season and most flew over the bar

Ashley R1+O

Ordinary performance. One good slalom run before getting fouled, apart from that, created nothing, no shots, dispossessed 4 times, 0 tackles 1 interception.
It was just another distinctively unremarkable performance, bar the odd spark in the first half where it looked like "he fit" rather than was the fulcrum.

It really is something. The last five or six games I've watched I'm just not seeing anything from him. I'm not seeing what people see when they say things like "but he's brilliant, our best player!!". It doesn't make any sense to me. There isn't a single thing over our 7 of 9 period I can say about him that professes the unerring quality that he has and that we should relentlessly pursue because of every other excuse people make for him. It really is a bizarre scenario to be honest, especially for a top team and for United in general.

KeanoMagicHat

Pogba needs movement in front of him to thrive and it would be a great shame if he left before United got a proper right winger. So many times United's attacks become one-dimensional because Mata cuts inside or Rashford or Sanchez want to play in the middle. Lingard is not the ideal solution but at least a few months ago he was making runs on the right and trying to stretch the play. It's no surprise Pogba's best form was when that happened.

Since then, you have seen United play a lot of 442 diamonds and 5 at the back formations, but it looks like the players haven't really been coached in them and do not make the right runs. It just gets too narrow without wingers and there's no outball for Pogba. It got ridiculous against Chelsea when Sanchez came on and the right side of the pitch was completely abandoned.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It was just another distinctively unremarkable performance, bar the odd spark in the first half where it looked like "he fit" rather than was the fulcrum.

It really is something. The last five or six games I've watched I'm just not seeing anything from him. I'm not seeing what people see when they say things like "but he's brilliant, our best player!!". It doesn't make any sense to me. There isn't a single thing over our 7 of 9 period I can say about him that professes the unerring quality that he has and that we should relentlessly pursue because of every other excuse people make for him. It really is a bizarre scenario to be honest, especially for a top team and for United in general.
People tend to fall for flashy players. He’ll have a few good moments in a game and that’ll convince people of his outstanding quality. He’s similar to Martial at this point, an incredible amount of talent but a character with question marks.

Champagne Football

The way he went from having no interest whatsoever under Jose - to suddenly being world class for 10 games - to immediately downing tools and becoming rubbish again as soon as Zidane fluttered his eyelashes in his direction..... It all points to a very toxic individual who will only ever look after no. 1. He could have left a hero by leading us to top 4 then quitting. He won't be missed.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Liew's an excellent writer, but it is actually this someone else who said it perfectly:

“Pogba can do everything,” coach Didier Deschamps admitted ahead of the [World Cup]. “But he can’t do everything at the same time.”

Canagel

The way he went from having no interest whatsoever under Jose - to suddenly being world class for 10 games - to immediately downing tools and becoming rubbish again as soon as Zidane fluttered his eyelashes in his direction..... It all points to a very toxic individual who will only ever look after no. 1. He could have left a hero by leading us to top 4 then quitting. He won't be missed.
Yes I agree. He should've stopped de gea from gifting goals and also finish the chances most of which he provided for our strikers. We will have finished top 4 with certainty.

If only he had saved Mourinhos job when he was on the brink of being sacked too.. oh wait he did.

Last edited:

haram

Liew's an excellent writer, but it is actually this someone else who said it perfectly:

“Pogba can do everything,” coach Didier Deschamps admitted ahead of the [World Cup]. “But he can’t do everything at the same time.”
Well we ask him to do everything at the same time and that’s the real problem.

Hammondo

People tend to fall for flashy players. He’ll have a few good moments in a game and that’ll convince people of his outstanding quality. He’s similar to Martial at this point, an incredible amount of talent but a character with question marks.
In the uk that seems to happen more than most other countries. 1 moment of skill or good play negates the opposite plays.

hn4manunited

One of the things most people haven’t mentioned comparing his Juventus days and his days with us, is that Serie A is very different than the PL. Some players just never adapts to the pace and requirements of the game here. In Serie A and to a pretty good extent La Liga, players have more time on the ball and they can stroll around on the pitch instead of sprints and still be productive and keeping up with the game. I think the bundesliga is also a league where players have more time on the ball.

Over here, you can expect to have very little time on the ball regardless of whether you’re playing a top six side or a bottom half of the table side.

The fact is, some players are just not suited to play here and be successful.

The Nani

From Scholes interview yesterday...

We all know Paul, we talk about potential, but he's 26 years of age, he's got to start producing it week in week out.

You're going to be losing a player who you know can be world class.

He could be a player who needs a Bryan Robson or a Roy Keane next to him just to give him a little rollicking every now and then. If he doesn’t get that he just carries on in his own little fantasy world, thinking he’s the best.
Sums it up quite well I think.

Loublaze

ATLien
Yes I agree. He should've stopped de gea from gifting goals and also finish the chances most of which he provided for our strikers. We will have finished top 4 with certainty.

If only he had saved Mourinhos job when he was on the brink of being sacked too.. oh wait he did.
This

Web of Bissaka

I feel for him, as a passer, you seriously need your teammates to move their lazy asses, at least try to move.

Ever since Zlatan is done, all the other off-the-ball runners we've had mostly are getting worse or some just not that good in the first place.
  • Valencia is done (remember Pogba's hollywood quick switch pass to Tony V overlapping runs, then we quick attack from the RW, so fun).
  • Shaw getting Mourinho-ed -- too much keeping himself at the back positionally now, used to make many overlaps for Pogba to feed him.
  • Lukaku is on and off, sometimes his movements is good, sometimes no but always trying which matters and did helped Pogba eventhough they tend to argue about it on the pitch visibly. That's last season, this season is worse -- only try to make movements when he feels like it.
  • Young is Young, not good enough, doesn't clicked well and poor at receiving Pog-passes.
  • Lingard switching off now, used to consistently try and did combined well with Pogba during the short Lingod days wrecking havoc at defenders.
  • Mata is Mata, not good at long burst, but his movements helps Pogba.
  • Martial only when he feels like it which is a special rare occasions.
  • Rashford is only useful to Paul when there are many spaces, counter-attack. Look like a lost sheep without it.
  • Sanchez is similar like him, a passer, and getting slower and worser.
  • Pereira is a wait-to-receive pass type of player otherwise known as ball-to-feet, not a run-to-receive type, not an off-ball runner.
---

There's still one small hope -- Diogo Dalot.
Pogba haven't fully make use of Dalot's runnings yet.
Dio not getting regular games because Captain need a position to play, is just not helping to improve their chemistry.

Similarly McTominay who constantly make fair supporting movements around and into the box. I notice Pogba often chose to ignore his movements, likely because he haven't develop a good trust and understanding yet of what McT can do and admittedly McT is slow in top speed long/quick run and just started to show more and more of his attacking talents. Paul doesn't have any other good options anyway, maybe he should just as might start trying out McT's movements and see how it goes.

Also Fred I suppose, but he's not the one who can receive Pogba's laser long ball weapon, considering his usual position and holding roles.

AgentP

I think we should end this idiocy of trying to 'accommodate' Pogba in the team or building a team around him. France played a 4231 with Pogba playing a proper CM role. I think that's exactly what he needs to do for us as well. We should move to a 4231 with a proper AM and wingers. Pogba simply doesn't do enough to be afforded the extra freedom to move higher up the pitch. I would like to see something like

Rashford
Martial --------Felix/Ziyesh/Bruno----- Sancho/Pepe
Pogba ----------Fred/McT
If Pogba doesn't want to play that role and is trying to force a move, then just sell him for the best price we can get. Nothing lower than 150m euros. Use that money to get someone like Rodri or Rice who will be more suited to a 2-man midfield role.

Keefy18

I was going to post the same article @TMDaines posted...

Absolutely superb piece of journalism and sums up Pogba perfectly!

The quote below is the crux of the issue with our fan base and judging him. Pogba isn't an all rounder, he's arguably closer to being an all rounder than say Modric, Kante or KDB but in reality he still has flaws. He isn't perfect, but our fan base oft expects perfection.

As Liew points out, the glory is with the team and failure the individual.

"Pogba isn’t surrounded by exceptional players. On Sunday, he was surrounded by Nemanja Matic and Ander Herrera, Juan Mata and Marcus Rashford and Romelu Lukaku. With the possible exception of Rashford, you couldn’t argue that any of them belongs at a better club. And so United need Pogba to be everything for them: their Kroos, their Thiago, their Kante, their De Bruyne. He needs to pull off the outrageous, but not lose the ball while doing so. He needs to be their cutting edge in attack and cover every blade of grass in defence. He needs to be less selfish, but not at the expense of his goal tally. He needs to lead, but not make everything about himself.

Is it any wonder Pogba has failed to meet many of the expectations invested in him?"

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I think we should end this idiocy of trying to 'accommodate' Pogba in the team or building a team around him. France played a 4231 with Pogba playing a proper CM role. I think that's exactly what he needs to do for us as well. We should move to a 4231 with a proper AM and wingers. Pogba simply doesn't do enough to be afforded the extra freedom to move higher up the pitch. I would like to see something like

Rashford
Martial --------Felix/Ziyesh/Bruno----- Sancho/Pepe
Pogba ----------Fred/McT
If Pogba doesn't want to play that role and is trying to force a move, then just sell him for the best price we can get. Nothing lower than 150m euros. Use that money to get someone like Rodri or Rice who will be more suited to a 2-man midfield role.

That's very different to France though, on paper your team is extremely unbalanced. France plays an hybrid formation with Matuidi on the left and it's worth remembering that Griezmann and Giroud are willing defenders and Kanté is very different to Fred or McTominay.

fps

Reports online that an insider says Pogba is poor in the dressing room as he doesn't take things seriously, possibly also leading to Rashford's increasing "attitude".

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

Paul Pogba in team of the year.

Richard Dunne joked that he is friends with every other footballer in the PL through instagram and thats why they voted for him. :lol::lol:

Irwin99

Apparently might not be fit enough for this weekend. Could Cardiff potentially be his last game for United if we want's a move?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Paul Pogba in team of the year.

Richard Dunne joked that he is friends with every other footballer in the PL through instagram and thats why they voted for him. :lol::lol:
An ex Liverpool + City player taking the piss.. surprising.

Pogba's got more talent in his little toe compared to them 2. Jealousy goes a long way.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
An ex Liverpool + City player taking the piss.. surprising.

Pogba's got more talent in his little toe compared to them 2. Jealousy goes a long way.
In fairness a while back Hamman was saying Pogba was a pretty good player, just lacked effort. He was defending him against people like Brady and Giles.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
In fairness a while back Hamman was saying Pogba was a pretty good player, just lacked effort. He was defending him against people like Brady and Giles.
That’s what I’m saying though, they’re all joining on the bandwagon as it’s the cool thing to do. I only respect people going against the grain.

It’s amazing how the consensus is pogba is awful and trouble and needs selling when literally 2 months ago he was “world class and renewed, he’s playing free”

Ashley R1+O

Have we ever had a player that had such beta fans who go on full tilt at the slightest bit of criticism? Its pretty weird.

el3mel

Not great but not bad either today. I enjoy slaughtering him but that wasn't much his problem today. Hit the bar twice so deserved something I guess.

norm87cro

People are still defending that twat? No he did not try he was very bad and its obvious his mind is elsewhere

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Was hot and cold today. Did some very good things but then some very bad things.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Only one that actually tried to create things today.

As much as I want him to stay, if I were Pogba and had a choice to play for a team with a lot more quality around me, then I'd know what I'd do.
If by trying you mean telegraphing (@antohan ) that chipped pass 5 times per game and giving away counter attack pretty much every time, then I agree.

It was the worst team in the league he played against.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Mixed bag as usual. Hit the post twice but was walking about most of the match.
He was not a mixed bag at all, unless he’s supposed to never cede possession or something.

He played very well, and our only plan was clearly to give it to him and hope.

Minimalist

He was not a mixed bag at all, unless he’s supposed to never cede possession or something.

He played very well, and our only plan was clearly to give it to him and hope.
Oh give over. That's delusional stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.