6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberman

Surely to God he isnt going to northern Italy in the summer? If Madrid do not want him as reported he really has to stay

laughtersassassin

A couple good performances and everyone will love him again.
That's the dream but watch the first game that he is back and we drop points. He will be blamed entirely.

And that right there is the true circus with Pogba. He is praised when he is class and we win but he is blamed entirely for losses that are often not his fault at all.

That's where the initial toxic environment started and that is why I'll be on his side.

Atleast though with Bruno though it's spreads out the creative load. I'm excited even if it's just for these last few games.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
A couple good performances and everyone will love him again.
He could have 10 good performances in a row. He will eventually have a bad one. Maybe a bad two or three. Seen so many good runs erased by 2 or 3 below par games, then all of a sudden, the consensus is that he has had a poor season.

Regardless of his own performances, Pogba will not be fully rated as a success here until the team is successful. He’s not billed as one of the supporting cast, he’s the headline act, so if we had won the league over the last 3 years, he’d be viewed much differently, with the same performances. But we aren’t as good as the others, and he is the player meant to make us as good/better than them. From that position, you can only begin to focus on the negatives in a player’s game. And you will find them, because they exist for all players. If Liverpool were 4th, Bobby no goals wouldn’t be good enough, Henderson wouldn’t be talented enough etc. These will be players they need to improve upon. With the same performances.

I think rating performances and players are larger contextual. Let Pogba leave this summer and Bruno get given the main billing to get us back to the top of the league. People will start noticing all the flicks that don’t come off , the passes that go astray etc. Narrative is key. He’s done largely the same good and bad things as Pogba does since he’s come in, but the feeling is very different. Admittedly, he works a lot harder off the ball too. But on it, I see a lot of loose passes, a lot of very good deliveries, ams a few penalties scored. Minus the pressing, Pogba could easily turn out the same performances to far lesser review.

In football, you are rated as much for your expectations I think than for your actual performances. Which isn’t necessarily wrong, although in Pogba’s case, it hasn’t done him many favours, as his expectations are simply whether alone or with help from his friends, to get United back to the top. In that sense, he’s certainly been a failure. Christian Eriksen was viewed differently, and the mood in this country was that he was probably a better midfielder for Spurs than PP was for us. He wasn’t though, didn’t produce as good of numbers, his own inconsistency overlooked etc. Simply because Spurs are not demanded for win the league.

Righteous Steps

He could have 10 good performances in a row. He will eventually have a bad one. Maybe a bad two or three. Seen so many good runs erased by 2 or 3 below par games, then all of a sudden, the consensus is that he has had a poor season.

Regardless of his own performances, Pogba will not be fully rated as a success here until the team is successful. He’s not billed as one of the supporting cast, he’s the headline act, so if we had won the league over the last 3 years, he’d be viewed much differently, with the same performances. But we aren’t as good as the others, and he is the player meant to make us as good/better than them. From that position, you can only begin to focus on the negatives in a player’s game. And you will find them, because they exist for all players. If Liverpool were 4th, Bobby no goals wouldn’t be good enough, Henderson wouldn’t be talented enough etc. These will be players they need to improve upon. With the same performances.

I think rating performances and players are larger contextual. Let Pogba leave this summer and Bruno get given the main billing to get us back to the top of the league. People will start noticing all the flicks that don’t come off , the passes that go astray etc. Narrative is key. He’s done largely the same good and bad things as Pogba does since he’s come in, but the feeling is very different. Admittedly, he works a lot harder off the ball too. But on it, I see a lot of loose passes, a lot of very good deliveries, ams a few penalties scored. Minus the pressing, Pogba could easily turn out the same performances to far lesser review.

In football, you are rated as much for your expectations I think than for your actual performances. Which isn’t necessarily wrong, although in Pogba’s case, it hasn’t done him many favours, as his expectations are simply whether alone or with help from his friends, to get United back to the top. In that sense, he’s certainly been a failure. Christian Eriksen was viewed differently, and the mood in this country was that he was probably a better midfielder for Spurs than PP was for us. He wasn’t though, didn’t produce as good of numbers, his own inconsistency overlooked etc. Simply because Spurs are not demanded for win the league.
You can’t ignore the working off the ball part though as it’s just as important as what you do on the ball, Fernandes presses like mad, and Eriksen seems to world harder than Pogba did as well, so that in itself is a big deal unless you are one of the two players who can get away with it(Messi Ronaldo) I guess you can stretch that to the likes of Neymar and Hazard, but having a player who can be lazy off the ball is detrimental to the team unless he is literally putting up Messi’s numbers.

Agree with most of your post but that point you mention about off the ball work is a pretty big deal, Eriksens numbers were also as good as Pogbas, he doesn’t take penalties but key passes chances created assists and even goals were similar, apart from the season where Pogba scores a few penalties.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You can’t ignore the working off the ball part though as it’s just as important as what you do on the ball, Fernandes presses like mad, and Eriksen seems to world harder than Pogba did as well, so that in itself is a big deal unless you are one of the two players who can get away with it(Messi Ronaldo) I guess you can stretch that to the likes of Neymar and Hazard, but having a player who can be lazy off the ball is detrimental to the team unless he is literally putting up Messi’s numbers.

Agree with most of your post but that point you mention about off the ball work is a pretty big deal, Eriksens numbers were also as good as Pogbas, he doesn’t take penalties but key passes chances created assists and even goals were similar, apart from the season where Pogba scores a few penalties.
I agree, off the ball work is important. I also feel Pogba’s lack of it is overstated for what it’s worth. He’s no McTominay or Bruno that’s granted, but he’s a long way from Mesut Ozil. He often has good running stats and chases back plenty. He’s not very good at it though, and anytime he chases a player after losing possession it’s almost a guaranteed free-kick!

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Do you think he wants to be here, at this club?
Would most top players want to be here right now?

Once we turn things around United won't be such a bad prospect for top players after all.

I'm confident if we start going somewhere he'd want to stay here. He came here to fight for trophies, not play in Europa league and languish in 6th place season after season.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Would most top players want to be here right now?

Once we turn things around United won't be such a bad prospect for top players after all.

I'm confident if we start going somewhere he'd want to stay here. He came here to fight for trophies, not play in Europa league and languish in 6th place season after season.
Just the fact that anyone would feel that we have to be good enough for him as opposed to the opposite makes me look forward to him leaving

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Just the fact that anyone would feel that we have to be good enough for him as opposed to the opposite makes me look forward to him leaving
If we remain at this level you will soon realise we will be having the same conversation about other players too.It’s fecking common sense. Whoever you think is more loyal than him, they are probably not. The only ones who are are the ones who would be targeted by West Ham if they left.

I can almost guarantee that if United remained between 5th and 6th for the next 4 years Rashford will consider his future. And not because he hates Manchester United. If he doesn’t, he’d be an idiot. And if he does he wouldn’t be the anti-Christ. The same conversations were had about De Gea. By the same people moaning on here I imagine. ‘Surely he’s going to want to leave’, ‘he can’t waste his best years here not competing for x or y’. It seems we can understand the logic when we want to.

Harry Kane is very committed to Spurs by all accounts, but is also now seemingly considering his future. Because he should be competing at a certain level. Obviously. If Spurs signed Jadon Sancho, Sandro Tonali and Dayot Upamecano - he may well change his mind. Because obviously, it was never about him not liking Spurs. He wants his ambitions matched. And I suspect the Spurs fans want his ambitions to be met too, as they are the same as theirs. Just as the Pogba hating United fans also want us back in the CL and competing for top trophies.

People can turn around and say ‘well he’s shit, if he was a good player, he should get us into the CL and win us the league then’ (in whatever round about way they choose to say it). The fact is, it’s not for the fans to say. If a player’s alternative options are Real Madrid, Juventus and PSG, nobody can really say they are not entitled to view themselves on such a level. If a player who is Everton level started making similar noises, go ahead then - go and get a CL competing side if you can, good luck to you. The likes of De Gea, Pogba, Rashford and Martial are the most likely to be sought after by the best sides in the world. And the oldest two of them, who have their younger years to the cause of trying to make us reach that level, are the two who have come closest to leaving us recently as they enter their primes. The younger two have been happier to commit at 22 years old (as was Pogba, despite us not being a CL team then). Let’s see if, like Pogba (or Harry Kane), those two have similar doubts about signing new long term contracts at 26/27 if we are still fighting for 4th every year and Europe’s top clubs are offering them a chance to spend their peak years with them. I have my doubts.

I think a show of intent will get Pogba to commit. We can easily say ‘well feck off then’, but the problem isn’t a Pogba one. Because we can’t tell him to feck off and confidently say we’ll just sign another world class midfielder at 27 to replace him, as we know they would likely have the same reservations he had. It will be ‘feck off’ and then we will list a bunch of younger players who will be labelled as ‘wanting to play for us’ but are simply at a stage in their careers where they are more open to making a load of money and joining a project. Again, try and attract world class 27 year olds with options this summer, and they will be labelled as them wrong fit for Manchester United’. What we should want is for such players to be the right fit. We want Pogba to WANT to stay, because the reasons he would want to stay are what we all want too. Let’s give him, AND US the assurances we all want this summer. I’m personally as desperate as Pogba for evidence that we are going back to the top, so why would I be mad at him?

Champagne Football

So all the tabloids saying he now wants to sign a new deal at Utd.
Not sure if it's too much Coronavirus in Italy or the fact Juventus have told him they won't pay 100 million for him, but either way, could be stuck with him like an unhappy marriage for both sides.

He is truly a world class player who can take us to a higher level, but he's caused enough trouble already. Would be happy to see him off to PSG in the summer. Him and Neymar are a match made in heaven.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Stop being naive. Top players would want to play for trophies and in the CL, nothing wrong with that. This sort of ridiculous ideal and fantasy people have about players wanting to be here despite not operating at a top team level is pure naivety.

Players career are short and if one is talented and good enough to see themselves winning trophies they wouldn't want to stick around with a team that has no hope of winning trophies.

Start looking like a top team again and top players would want to stay or come here, it's as simple as that.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Stop being naive. Top players would want to play for trophies and in the CL, nothing wrong with that. This sort of ridiculous ideal and fantasy people have about players wanting to be here despite not operating at a top team level is pure naivety.

Players career are short and if one is talented and good enough to see themselves winning trophies they wouldn't want to stick around with a team that has no hope of winning trophies.

Start looking like a top team again and top players would want to stay or come here, it's as simple as that.
I fear that it might be you that is being naive here. You have to think about (a) why we are in this position to begin with and (b) how we will improve.

We have regressed in recent seasons for many reasons, but certainly a key one is lack of commitment from our players. It's exactly why we are gutting this squad and building a new one, and we are now starting to see the fruits of that. These players will see United get back to challenging for trophies, and they all have one thing in common - none of them think that United are beneath them.

Pogba on the other hand is not only the most expensive signing in our history, but he has been a key part of this low period in the team. He has been part of the problem, but as yet he has not been any part of the solution. Most anyone you hear talk about Pogba will conclude that he has been a disappointment here.

Eugenius

This would be good news. I don't think Pogba is that bad an egg (e.g. clearly no one liked Lukaku and Sanchez) but the whole saga with him and his agent is so silly.

I don’t for one second think he’d not rather be at Madrid but he’s quality and would basically be a new signing. We’d be smashing all these park the bus teams all day long with him deep and Bruno at 10. Martial and Rashford love playing with him. Sign a RW and our attack would be ridiculous.

crossy1686

career ending
I have a feeling he's going to sign a new contract.

We've priced him out of a move and no club wants to match his wages, FFP has actually done us a favour here.

romufc

This would be good news. I don't think Pogba is that bad an egg (e.g. clearly no one liked Lukaku and Sanchez) but the whole saga with him and his agent is so silly.

I don’t for one second think he’d not rather be at Madrid but he’s quality and would basically be a new signing. We’d be smashing all these park the bus teams all day long with him deep and Bruno at 10. Martial and Rashford love playing with him. Sign a RW and our attack would be ridiculous.
Pogba himself is not a bad egg. His agent is the bad egg.

Most of the things that come out of the club about Pogba is that the players love him, he is a great lad.

His agent messes things up along with his brother.

But no way should he get 400k a week.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Most of these Pogba 'stories' are coming from the Sun and the Daily Mail.
I think some of our fans need to decide if they care more about the club itself or reading these agenda driven moronic articles.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I think some of our fans need to decide if they care more about the club itself or reading these agenda driven moronic articles.
I think they care more about getting outraged otherwise they wouldn't be swallowing every single garbage thrown by these trash papers and sites.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Can't say I'm in favour of this one bit.

He's been massively inconsistent for us. His brother never shuts up about him wanting to leave. Pogba himself said he wanted to leave last summer whilst in Japan. His agent is an absolute ballbag too. He's simply not worth it. Liverpool lost Suarez n Coutinho and have not looked back once. We have Bruno now and an exciting bunch of young midfielders coming through. It's time to get rid of Pogba and replace him.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If he wants to stay, I would be glad to have him stay. Some of you lot are out of your mind.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I read on DM (yes, yes, i know) that he will maybe sign new contract. Fred-Pogba- Bruno midfield :drool: :drool:

laughtersassassin

And most of the other negative story's I hear come from fans imaginations. Seems a fair comparison.

OldTrevil

The only reason that midfield might get Exposed is cause sometimes in Fred's pressing he ends up ten miles out of position hahaha
In which case you have Fred's off the ball aggression and energy being closely flanked by the technique, precision and accuracy of Pogba-Bruno pair winning possession and launching counters or passing moves higher up the pitch. All three can cover lots of ground and perform all midfield duties at a high level, which will allow the team to effectively attack from any angle. It could be horny football

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
Hope it's some agent mind game stuff. Come get me know or I'm signing a new contract. Plz plz plz go away

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If he wants to stay, I would be glad to have him stay. Some of you lot are out of your mind.
He doesn't though. He said he wanted to leave last summer. His brother says it every other week. Only 2 days ago he was talking to media about him wanting to go to Madrid. His agent is always stiring up trouble.

I genuinely think we have fans on here who like Pogba more than the actual club. Let him go. He's massively over rated. Got talent but lacks a lot of other things.

RUCK4444

In many ways Pogba epitomises the modern footballer, led by the nose from his agent and this coupled with his huge marketability and price tag makes him a very easy target.

Like him or loathe him it’s fair to say that he’s basically had a target on his back since he arrived. He’s an ‘icing on the cake’ player who needs a functioning and talented squad around him.

In my opinion fans who want him gone really need to give their heads a wobble.

Pogba is a mercurial talent, in many ways the perfectly well rounded midfielder.
A World Cup winner in which he was a key player for his country.

He’s proven himself enough for both Juve and France that in a functional, talented side he can be a world beater.
That doesn’t just disappear overnight, he’s only 26.

Even when he’s been inconsistent and frustrating (and he definitely has) he has still managed good numbers whilst at times being the sole creative force in the team.

This team was so poor that it seemed almost as though he had to beat two players, play a worldie pass and get on the end of it to score!

Imagine him in a functioning side like we have now, a side that now has a settled and much improved midfield options with Fred and McTominay, and the creative talents of Bruno.

The team has taken some BIG strides since Pogba last started a run of games, now is his time to shine.

Let’s put the cherry on the cake.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He doesn't though. He said he wanted to leave last summer. His brother says it every other week. Only 2 days ago he was talking to media about him wanting to go to Madrid. His agent is always stiring up trouble.

I genuinely think we have fans on here who like Pogba more than the actual club. Let him go. He's massively over rated. Got talent but lacks a lot of other things.
Pogba has not said he wants to leave Manchester United.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Maybe if our manager still wants to keep him, it should tell you something about whether it’s a matter of ‘loving Pogba more than the club’. Just because some people will not jump on the bandwagon of hating the player doesn’t mean they are fanatics. The player’s own manager wants to keep him. Maybe the our mob need to have a word with themselves.

And he isn’t massively overrated. At least not on here. He’s massively underrated. He’s not just a ‘talented’ player - he’s an actual top midfielder. We have spent so long dissecting every weakness in his game that some have failed to notice that he still outperforms most creative midfielders in the game. If he doesn’t want to stay, he won’t. Of course, you have concluded, with your insight, that ‘nobody wants him at x price’ or something, but that has little to do with his contract situation. If he doesn’t want to be here, he will not our own to paper on a new deal. He hasn’t done that yet, and if he refuses to sign, then of course, he doesn’t want to be here. Regardless of whether his brother said he wants him to go to Real. But if he extends his contract, then he has a footballer who has extended his contract, which is about as much clarification you can ask from a footballer on his position. Best to wait u til the summer.

sp_107

We are not in a situation to sign Pogba in summer without knowing whether he can fit with Bruno or not. If I am Ole, I would play Pogba with Bruno for few matches and see if they can gel together and make a decision to extend or not(If Pogba is keen to stay with us). Isn't it ?

End of the day, like everyone else I would prefer a fully committed and a humble player but if he is motivated enough then we can easily reach next level. If anyone is not sure just think about first15 matches post Jose sacking. Top class quality but he needs a bit of clever handling. so its for us to take that risk OR go for an alternative like Grealish.

He is still 26, so what about extending his contract and sell him a year later if there is no change to his mentality?

Only thing I am afraid of keeping him is the massive pay gap between him and other midfield players(it could be a disruptive thing in the dressing room to be honest), Imagine more commited players like SMT, Grealish, Fred, Matic and ,Bruno around 100K a week but Pogba on a new contract worth 400K a week.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Maybe if our manager still wants to keep him, it should tell you something about whether it’s a matter of ‘loving Pogba more than the club’. Just because some people will not jump on the bandwagon of hating the player doesn’t mean they are fanatics. The player’s own manager wants to keep him. Maybe the our mob need to have a word with themselves.

And he isn’t massively overrated. At least not on here. He’s massively underrated. He’s not just a ‘talented’ player - he’s an actual top midfielder. We have spent so long dissecting every weakness in his game that some have failed to notice that he still outperforms most creative midfielders in the game. If he doesn’t want to stay, he won’t. Of course, you have concluded, with your insight, that ‘nobody wants him at x price’ or something, but that has little to do with his contract situation. If he doesn’t want to be here, he will not our own to paper on a new deal. He hasn’t done that yet, and if he refuses to sign, then of course, he doesn’t want to be here. Regardless of whether his brother said he wants him to go to Real. But if he extends his contract, then he has a footballer who has extended his contract, which is about as much clarification you can ask from a footballer on his position. Best to wait u til the summer.
We've finished 6th twice with Pogba playing most weeks for us. He didn't push us on did he? We've not had him all season and yet we're 3pts off 4th space. I know it's not quite as simple as that but it does show how he isn't that important to us. And now we have Bruno even less so. I personally think it's the right time to move him on. He's talented but I can't be bothered with the circus that comes with him anymore. It's boring. Plus we don't desperately need him now either. Bruno has the talent and the drive. Pogba could learn a thing or two from him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We've finished 6th twice with Pogba playing most weeks for us. He didn't push us on did he? We've not had him all season and yet we're 3pts off 4th space. I know it's not quite as simple as that but it does show how he isn't that important to us. And now we have Bruno even less so. I personally think it's the right time to move him on. He's talented but I can't be bothered with the circus that comes with him anymore. It's boring. Plus we don't desperately need him now either. Bruno has the talent and the drive. Pogba could learn a thing or two from him.
I know it’s not as simple as that either, so let’s not even address that bit seeing as we both agree. What we need is a top team. Because we not have another good midfielder creates no reason to usher out the other one. Finishing 4th is not an achievement. We want to be the best.

And you don’t seem very bored by the ‘circus’ at all tbh. The dislike for Pogba has been massively helpful for Bruno Fernandes in my opinion. Not that he should not be given long rope as a new player anyway, but he’s not a better midfielder than Pogba to me, although naturally, that’s the narrative everyone will run with, which in itself, is a large part of the ‘circus’. He hasn’t kicked a ball all season pretty much (although just long enough to show he’s a class player), but the constant conversation, the likes of Souness, Keane and Neville calling him out for little reason, the Sky Sports documentary they quickly whipped up because he missed a pen against Wolves - these are as contributory to any feeling of a circus as anything.

I honestly feel that players have different profiles and give off different vibes. And in the end, some players we ‘like’ and some we don’t so much. If you look at an ‘all touches’ video of all of Bruno’s games so far, for instance, and looked at it objectively - it is no better than what Pogba does. If he had missed his penalty against Watford, would there have been a massive fuss made about either his run-up, or the fact that he has just arrived and taken the pens off whoever had them before? Doubt it. Nor should there be, don’t get me wrong, as it would have been equally ridiculous. Martial and Pogba are always on the verge of ‘they can’t be bothered’. Other players ‘are entitled to have an off game’.

Also, in Pogba the footballer, I’m generally curious to read it in black and white so we know what we are saying here. And this is not just for you, but for all who have been peddling this narrative. How frequently would you say Pogba has a ‘bad game’ for us? Since he arrived I mean. Three in Four? One in four? Eight in Ten? Because I know what it reads like on here, but it’s all implicitly said and not explicitly. In my personal opinion, it’s massively overstated, so I’d like to hear it said straight so that it can be challenged directly if need be.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Status
Not open for further replies.