6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick08

Basically the same for me. Some dreadful choices and sloppy passes, then he gives you some qualities actions. A decent game by all account.

Far from impressed by him and I think he was one of the culprit in a somewhat dysfunctional midfield but he sealed the deal with 2 actions.

I don't think this type of statement is accurate, honestly. I don't even talk about Pogba, but there's a good chunk of players that won Champions League or World Cup with a huge role and that are far from the most astute player tactically...
Sarcasm mate.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Another game where he's alone in midfield, another 2 assists.

I thought he was brilliant considering McTominay and Pereira were invisible when we had the ball.

SaintMuppet

Pogba showboating is just a mess.

Pogba keeping it simple is world class.

It’s night and day for me. When the guy stops entertaining and starts playing he is different class. I’m not sure why he feels the need to spin about and try to take in the world because he is not particularly good at it. His running, power, vision and passing are top of the tree and I hope we can get him to focus on that as it’s probably the difference between winning and losing most games.

Foxbatt

The issue I had with him yesterday was that he kept falling over and losing possession. He is such a strong player he should not be falling over that easily.

Shimo

It’s night and day for me. When the guy stops entertaining and starts playing he is different class. I’m not sure why he feels the need to spin about and try to take in the world because he is not particularly good at it. His running, power, vision and passing are top of the tree and I hope we can get him to focus on that as it’s probably the difference between winning and losing most games.
During the game I was off the same mind - just stop it, keep it simple. Later was thinking about what so many say, soon as Pogba is out of the team and we miss so much. And it's not just the occasional bursts through midfield or the spectacular threaded balls but, also when Pogba is deep, when he receives the ball and he invites player in, that when he does pull of getting past them, it's usually 2-3 player that are taken out completely and that's when we can break at speed - the opposition often will have lost their shape. There was one particular drop of the shoulder move where he was able to do just that, suck a couple Chelsea players in and broke past them opening up the field in front for Rashford and Martial to start getting behind.

Pogba is not one of those midfielders that controls games and keeps it simple, his value is so often in his dynamism which includes what looks like showboating. Think that is why Ole said what he did after the game, does not matter if he loses the ball, get back on it and play. That play is one of the attributes that makes him so good.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Any idea how often that was in the first half though @Pogue Mahone @Classical Mechanic ? Both he, McTom, Lingard and Pereira couldn't get to terms with Chelsea's narrow 5 outnumbering them in the first half.

Second half they all got to grips with it and I'd imagine McTom and Pogba turned the ball over at a far more acceptable rate.
At the game I said to my mate that we will take over after an hour. There's pressing and then there's the type of unsustainable pressing that Chelsea attempted. It was really successful for 60 minutes and put immense pressure on our players but after the hour they couldn't live with us.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
The one thing no one could complain about yesterday was work rate. Pogba was all over the pitch covering side to side. His attitude towards working for the team was spot on. His run for the final goal destroyed Chelsea at that point and the vision and pass for the third is something only KDB would be capable of.

I'd love to see his stats for goals and assists over the past three seasons compared to the likes of Eriksen, who Spurs fans accept is a bit of a liability defensively.

fps

During the game I was off the same mind - just stop it, keep it simple. Later was thinking about what so many say, soon as Pogba is out of the team and we miss so much. And it's not just the occasional bursts through midfield or the spectacular threaded balls but, also when Pogba is deep, when he receives the ball and he invites player in, that when he does pull of getting past them, it's usually 2-3 player that are taken out completely and that's when we can break at speed - the opposition often will have lost their shape. There was one particular drop of the shoulder move where he was able to do just that, suck a couple Chelsea players in and broke past them opening up the field in front for Rashford and Martial to start getting behind.

Pogba is not one of those midfielders that controls games and keeps it simple, his value is so often in his dynamism which includes what looks like showboating. Think that is why Ole said what he did after the game, does not matter if he loses the ball, get back on it and play. That play is one of the attributes that makes him so good.
I agree this is why Pogba is being played further back, because he can suck players in leaving space to break into. His dynamism yesterday was fantastic in the first game of a long season.

fps

The one thing no one could complain about yesterday was work rate. Pogba was all over the pitch covering side to side. His attitude towards working for the team was spot on. His run for the final goal destroyed Chelsea at that point and the vision and pass for the third is something only KDB would be capable of.

I'd love to see his stats for goals and assists over the past three seasons compared to the likes of Eriksen, who Spurs fans accept is a bit of a liability defensively.
He was being asked to work a lot more in a specific area defensively, and I think this simplicity really helped his defensive game. Right side of midfield, behind the halfway line, covering across and helping out AWB on the inside of him.

NoLogo

I hope he finally realized that dribbling through 2-4 people isn't going to work as an approach in the PL. Refs are not calling those small contacts as fouls, it's not going to happen and all he ends up doing is lose the ball. Second half was so much better when he played some great passes, won the ball back a couple of times and overall released the ball much quicker.

Jacob

One of very few players I'd pay to watch. When he's on it, he's the ultimate manifestation of how I want a player to play. Maestro.

SaintMuppet

I disagree, giving the ball away is never a positive. Ole will say whatever keeps him sweet atm when he can still leave.

He gets three players on him, loses the ball then they run off with it. No positives there.

Great player when he plays to his strengths.... he should stick to it.

Shimo

I disagree, giving the ball away is never a positive. Ole will say whatever keeps him sweet atm when he can still leave.

He gets three players on him, loses the ball then they run off with it. No positives there.

Great player when he plays to his strengths.... he should stick to it.
That's exactly what he is doing when he does lose the ball, trying to play to his strengths where he often can beat players with his ability and physicality. His strength are not limited to just his passing and such. Unless you mean he should only stick to certain approved strengths - do that and we'll have a very unhappy player on our hands.

Stevondo8

1st half he was a bit poor and the annoying pogba (dallying, turning unnecessarily and losing it in own half), 2nd half he was excellent.

Don’t think there are many players in the world who could have played that pass for Rashford’s 2nd.

lex talionis

Imagine Pogba staying in top gear for 50-60 minutes in any given match. I'll take 25-30 minutes from him, but if we can raise his interest level we have ourselves an all-worlder.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Yeah agree with this. When he loses ball it's frustrating to watch but there are many occasions where he turns nothing situation into counter attacking one by taking out 3-4 players with his dribbling.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Imagine Pogba staying in top gear for 50-60 minutes in any given match. I'll take 25-30 minutes from him, but if we can raise his interest level we have ourselves an all-worlder.
Not even Messi does that

Perfectly said

Andrew~

Surprised by the reaction to that match about Pogba, I thought he was very good. He was basically operating on his own, there were huge gaps between him, McTominay and Pereira. McTominay wasn't at his usual level defensively so Pogba was dropping back a lot, and the less said about Pereira during that game the better. He did a great job coming back to collect the ball because there was basically no link between him and the defense (no Matic or Fred).

Yeah, some of his tricks didn't come off but he had to do those at times (because the other midfielders were AWOL); but it's weird someone can have a second half that good (two amazing assists) and people will still complain.

spiriticon

Really impressed by his attitude so far. He's been proper professional despite not getting his move. I might just wish him well in his move next time instead of spitting in his direction...:lol:

haram

I wonder if people will finally accept that he can play a deeper role and how useful he can actually be for us there...

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I wonder if people will finally accept that he can play a deeper role and how useful he can actually be for us there...
I doubt he'll ever be accepted. Always baffles me how ordinary players are accepted.

I've no ability or creativity so when I get pressured by two or three players I just lose the ball.....fine no worries jack you crack on.

I've lots of ability and creativity and when I'm surrounded by two or three players I trust my ability, use my creativity.....but don't you dare lose it.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I

Am i in opposite world? He's played deeper loads and all the pundits and fans were calling for him further forward.
Yes this is right

I think Ole has it right though, especially how we want to play. Pogba deeper and arriving later is much better (and oddly enough this was Joses initial intentions for Pogba)

Down to Pogba to be more consistent in his play in that role now

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
People losing their shit because Paul Merson said something :lol:

It's a template Sky Sports pundit Paul Merson believes Solskjaer should use for the rest of the season, starting with United's trip to Wolves on Monday

Smores

Yes this is right

I think Ole has it right though, especially how we want to play. Pogba deeper and arriving later is much better (and oddly enough this was Joses initial intentions for Pogba)
Right for us or for Pogba?

Personally i think if we played him in the advanced position he'd become the leagues best player. However we can't afford to play him there and need him deeper where he'll have inconsistent games and lose the ball but will do a good enough job overall.

That's a very simplistic view admittedly and when we're in sit deep and counter attack mode he's needed deep to do his long balls to the forwards as no one else can.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Right for us or for Pogba?

Personally i think if we played him in the advanced position he'd become the leagues best player. However we can't afford to play him there and need him deeper where he'll have inconsistent games and lose the ball but will do a good enough job overall.

That's a very simplistic view admittedly and when we're in sit deep and counter attack mode he's needed deep to do his long balls to the forwards as no one else can.
Both to me, I don't think he is good as a number 10 personally as for us we need a pressing machine in the no 10 role

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Am i in opposite world? He's played deeper loads and all the pundits and fans were calling for him further forward.
We've seen both sides of Pogba in his 3 years back at the club, we've seen him deeper in a 2, we've seen him further forward in a 3. Personally I prefer him deeper, far too many occasions last season when we were chasing games the game was passing Pogba by and we had the likes of Matic dictating play and that's just not right when you have someone who's clearly on another level just watching everything bypass him.

I dont think the arriving late in the box and goal scoring comes naturally to him, he might do it once or twice in a season/1 or 2 games in a season but asking him to do it week in week out just isn't his game.

Mike Smalling

Those two small touches to Martial and Fred were delightful, but my favourite is probably his pass to Rashford away to Spurs. To get that amount of power while basically standing still and also having pinpoint precision is really impressive.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
United would be stupid to let him go but if he wants to go that’s a different story. Apart from DDG he’s Uniteds only world class player.

AJ10

Imagine taking paul merson seriously to prove a point. :lol::lol:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I took the liberty of replying here, more on topic

I disagree. It's the Juve model, which was classed as a top 2 midfield at the time. Pogba and Pirlo lacked energy, so Vidal worked really hard and was class on both sides of the ball. Pirlo although slow, defended through his positioning and distributed the ball with his class. Pogba provided that extra magic by dribbling at defenders, giving the killer pass or scoring a crazy goal. All 3 complimented one another and the midfield as a whole lacked nothing.

That isn't the only way to accomplish this btw, nor am I suggesting it is. Barca's midfield consisted of Xavi, Iniesta, and Busquets. Xavi was the constant passer, who is more mobile than Pirlo, but wasn't as good at positioning defensively. Busquets, nor Iniesta are as energetic as Vidal, but they don't have to be because there aren't two slow midfielders in Pirlo and Pogba. Iniesta is always buzzing around towards the ball or linking up with multiple players. Busquets is more mobile than Pirlo was, but was much better at breaking up plays, and didn't spray passes all over, but quickly supplied his teammates with his brain.

Similarly, if we had a more mobile DM like Garner, we wouldn't need some Vidal type midfielder to provide energy. We could do with a Modric type. There are multiple ways of achieving a complete midfield. I would prefer not having that Vidal type, though others might disagree. The reason why Vidal was needed and why Herrera/McTominay are needed is because the respective sides needed to cover for 2 slow midfielders.

Once the midfield is complete, you can emphasize possession, or defensive solidity, or go with extra work horses. Real Madrid's midfield had Kroos, Modric, and Casemiro. There are no slow midfielders really, but a lot of great possession type midfielders. It doesn't lack for anything really unless you value physical dominance.
I'm not disputing that a world class midfield can afford to alleviate someone of defensive responsibilities, or that a world class midfield would bring the best out of our players. So if that's what you were on about, then fair enough. Trouble is, we're nowhere near acquiring a world class midfield and in all likelihood won't have that in years to come. So we work with what we've got. IMV Pogba is not incapable of applying himself at either end. When your team needs more from you, you give your team more. My problem with criticism of the criticism of Pogba, is that it's not that he's not a Wayne Rooney who busts a gut to win the ball back. The criticism has mainly been about a lack of commitment, walking about when we've just lost possession and lacking concentration. I don't think anyone disputes what he can offer in terms of going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.