Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The French not being satisfied with their top players is a weird thing. It was the same with Titi and now we're already seeing the same with Mbappé.
It's because they know feck all about football and about him. I mean the general football fan.

I lived there for a while - 5 years and tbf they are generally not much a fan of football, except some regions in the south. So generally again they don't watch football much. Most of them only watch their national team in the big tournaments, without much football knowledge and often know their players only through the press. And the press, we all know they tend to exaggerate things. That's probably why I think.
Spot on.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's because they know feck all about football and about him. I mean the general football fan.

Spot on.
It's not a french thing though and the people criticizing him are the ones following Football closely, most know football as much as most Caf members but they are also as susceptible to listen to terrible pundits which is pretty much all french pundits. The people that don't watch Football don't even know who Pogba is and I know a few of them.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It's not a french thing though and the people criticizing him are the ones following Football closely, most know football as much as most Caf members but they are also as susceptible to listen to terrible pundits which is pretty much all french pundits. The people that don't watch Football don't even know who Pogba is and I know a few of them.
It's not a french thing per se but it still corresponds to a lot french fans

JPRouve

Scout
It's not a french thing per se but it still corresponds to a lot french fans
It's not. He mixed two set of people that shouldn't be mixed. Pogba isn't disliked by casual followers and people that don't watch football, these people don't care about Pogba or any other footballer in particular. And to claim that people who are actually fans of Football and watch it religiously know nothing about Football, is at best arrogant and at worst insulting.

Strelok

That's not really how it is. The South is the divided part where Rugby is often the main sport, the northern half is all about Football. And people watch Football, it's just not the only sport nationwide.
I was in Paris most of the time, to be exact it was from 2004 to 2009 and I found people there generaly didn't care much about football. They didn't think Paris St. Germain is the club representing Paris either. They prefer tennis, rugby, biking, swimming etc. than football. When I travelled to Lyon and Marseille, I found people there seem to love football much more than people in Paris. French people who I talked to also said so.

I only lived there like 5 years so my observation is probably incorrect anyway.

JPRouve

Scout
I was in Paris most of the time, to be exact it was from 2004 to 2009 and I found people there generaly didn't care much about football. They didn't think Paris St. Germain is the club representing Paris either. They prefer tennis, rugby, biking, swimming etc. than football. When I travelled to Lyon and Marseille, I found people there seem to love football much more than people in Paris. French people who I talked to also said so.

I only lived there like 5 years so my observation is probably incorrect anyway.
Because Paris St. Germain comes from Saint-Germain-en -Laye, Red Star and Paris FC are the historical clubs from Paris(75). Marseille and Lyon are particular, it's two football cities, though Rugby is big in Lyon too, but they don't represent the south, they are the exceptions not the norm. The north is mainly about Football and the south is mainly about Rugby. And it's not the people that don't care about football that crititicized Pogba it's the one following closely football, the ones coming from cities like Lyon and Marseille.

The reason some people had an issue with Pogba in France is exactly the same than in the UK, pundits talking nonsense, complaining about his haircuts and why he isn't Vieira or Zidane.

Clermontois

Supports
France
The French not being satisfied with their top players is a weird thing. It was the same with Titi and now we're already seeing the same with Mbappé.
Notice the similarity with all the players mentioned there.

That's not really how it is. The South is the divided part where Rugby is often the main sport, the northern half is all about Football. And people watch Football, it's just not the only sport nationwide.
The south is pretty football crazy from my knowledge. Football looms large over others sports throughout France even in Clermont-Ferrand and you can drop footballer names anywhere and people will know the mediatic ones.

Pogba is a to player but I think many feel the heavy breathing of his agent on their neck. At the end of the day, people always compare players but it's always about the Unit and smart players understand that. We had the perfect example with the relationship of Scholes and Keane. Keane could maybe have done more offensively but when you have scholes beside you you have to seek compliment that. Bruno is in great form in terms of goals and assists and so Pogba is playing deeper and being more controlled. We can find a happy balance as things progress but our midfield is not an issue. Pogba is allowing Bruno to flourish because he's giving the balance we require in the middle.
He is more than a player to give balance, he is not Vieira he is Pogba. By now people should have realized just because he is powerful and black that his play far more resembles that of Zidane and Ronaldinho; his two footballing role models growing up. I can't see him playing that deep role for us for too long.

Because Paris St. Germain comes from Saint-Germain-en -Laye, Red Star and Paris FC are the historical clubs from Paris(75). Marseille and Lyon are particular, it's two football cities, though Rugby is big in Lyon too, but they don't represent the south, they are the exceptions not the norm. The north is mainly about Football and the south is mainly about Rugby. And it's not the people that don't care about football that crititicized Pogba it's the one following closely football, the ones coming from cities like Lyon and Marseille.

The reason some people had an issue with Pogba in France is exactly the same than in the UK, pundits talking nonsense, complaining about his haircuts and why he isn't Vieira or Zidane.
It is partly due to racist punditry as anyone who watches TF1 will see they almost always have positive headlines for white players and negative headlines for black players. Griezmann got a lot of presstime on equipe du soir without doing much at the world cup while I do not recall Pogba getting any though he was the player of the tournament for anyone who watched objectively. Also they complain about him not being Vieira, never heard them say anything about Zidane.

JPRouve

Scout
The south is pretty football crazy from my knowledge. Football looms large over others sports throughout France even in Clermont-Ferrand and you can drop footballer names anywhere and people will know the mediatic ones.
Not really, I'm from the south and only Marseille could be described as football crazy. And Pogba has been compared to both which seems to be a very french thing, everyone is supposed to be next X. In the case of Pogba it's more about influence than style, here you have an example that is popular among fans.

Nous voyons tous que Paul se prépare très bien pour l’Euro avec ses bonnes performances à la Juventus. Il l’a fait lors de la finale de la Ligue des champions avec la Juventus la saison dernière et il est le joueur clé pour la France à l’Euro 2016. J’espère que Pogba pourra mener l’équipe comme l’a fait Zidane en 1998 et 2000", s’est enthousiasmé Christian Karembeu dans une interview à Goal.
The bolded part is what is detrimental, when Karembeu says in 2016 that Pogba is the key player for France and that he hopes to see him lead France like Zidane did in 1998 and 2000. Pogba isn't Zidane and we shouldn't hope a similar impact, it's not reasonable.

Clermontois

Supports
France
Not really, I'm from the south and only Marseille could be described as football crazy. And Pogba has been compared to both which seems to be a very french thing, everyone is supposed to be next X. In the case of Pogba it's more about influence than style, here you have an example that is popular among fans.

The bolded part is what is detrimental, when Karembeu says in 2016 that Pogba is the key player for France and that he hopes to see him lead France like Zidane did in 1998 and 2000. Pogba isn't Zidane and we shouldn't hope a similar impact, it's not reasonable.
I spent a lot of time in Toulouse and I must say while the people do not really support the local team they do talk a lot about football elsewhere particularly PSG and even Marseille. Also if you say pundits talk about his influence rather than style then I agree but still not many. I only know of the french espn journalist who talks about Paul's influence a lot and thanked him for finally taking the french team to a title.

The quote from Karembeu is fine to me and it is no surprise that he is the one that said it but he is not a regular pundit.

Bobski

He is more than a player to give balance, he is not Vieira he is Pogba. By now people should have realized just because he is powerful and black that his play far more resembles that of Zidane and Ronaldinho; his two footballing role models growing up. I can't see him playing that deep role for us for too long.
People don't want to him to be Vieria, they want him to be a more athletic Scholes, someone who dominates the flow of the game, provides structure and direction for the team, while also having his moments to attack.

Pogba is a wonderful talent with 2 great feet and natural flair, but that doesn't mean that he is best suited to playing as a pure attacker. You only have to look at what Bruno gives with the tempo and energy in his play to see a player more suited to playing higher up. Pogba is more talented but he likes to play at his own pace and in those tight areas high up the pitch with his back to goal he is prone to losing the ball and overplaying.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Exceptional game! I thought he completely ran the show. This was a prime example of why we need both Fernandes and Pogba as Fernades didn't play great, but Pogba picked up the slack. Nice finish for his goal, was my MOTM.

NYAS

Can someone please reassure me and tell me he didn’t injure himself at the end there?

Lemansky

Absolutely superb performance. So dominant.
Hope he did not pick up an injury...

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Close run thing between him, Martial and Shaw for my MOTM

Deserved his goal for running the show

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I’ve been critical of him, no doubt, but that was a fantastic job well done by PP tonight. Some great passes, dictated our play and scored a beauty!

Morpheus 7

Excellent performance, seeing him and Bruno makes me think we can break anyone down now. He was stretching a bit when he got tackled right at the end.

Rolaholic

Really happy that he got on the scoresheet today, it was a peach too :drool:.

Looked so happy after when he ran over to thank Bruno :D

Looked like his strike against Croatia in the final 2 summers ago

el3mel

He has been amazing ever since he returned and deserved to finally get his goal.

He hasn't put a foot wrong for a long time now. Every thing he does is mature, efficient and quality.

Great player to have when fully committed and playing in his top form.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
He is a million times better when he’s not the main focus of attention. He’s been quietly excellent since this return.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
MOTM for me today, happy that he got the goal, thoroughly deserved, hoping he signs a new contract in the coming week or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.