Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
You know, I'm being kind by saying Bruno is on a par with James. In reality if you compare their careers and achievements, James comes off as the superior player. If you disagree, i'd love to hear your opinion on why.
If we are talking about past achievements then he is, but he isn't the same player now.

MattofManchester

I believe his issues are coaching related, more than anything else. Why is it that every manager and coach states how professional and hardworking Paul Pogba is, yet fans continue to say that he's lazy and doesn't care? Who would know more?
Allegri got the very best out of him, and he's a more complete player now, so he can definitely go further.

I agree with the Yaya comparison more than the Lampard comparison. Yaya in 13/14 was probably the best midfielder in world football that season, and that was the kind of effect I was hoping for Pogba to replicate for Man United. He had also played in a pivot that season and still managed to contribute immensely to that City side.

Pogba is a better footballer, so I don't see why, if we find the perfect role for him, he can't shine.
I think our side needs more work and we still have too many problems to be blaming it on one man.

The Original

If we are talking about past achievements then he is, but he isn't the same player now.
Maybe not quite the same player but at the time he was offered in exchange he was still a top player.

Bruno has played 10 or slightly more games for Utd and suddenly he is the best midfielder on the planet?

roonster09

Scout
Maybe not quite the same player but at the time he was offered in exchange he was still a top player.

Bruno has played 10 or slightly more games for Utd and suddenly he is the best midfielder on the planet?
No, he is the greatest of all time.

I don't know what the other argument was, right now James and Bruno are not at same level. Even last season he wasn't as good, maybe 2-3 season ago he was.

Deery

Dreary
He really needs to show up today or even put in a half decent performance.

He’s well capable of a good performance but too many times he puts in sub par performances when you really need him.

If he’s bad today it will get me thinking what’s the point of keeping him and we should Cash in whilst we still can.

Here’s to hoping he has a great game and shows what he can really do!

Crashoutcassius

Agree with people saying we need a performance today. He will be the most talented and best paid player on the pitch probably bar DDG, he has had more time off the pitch than many of our players. Has the ability to affect the game and win it for us, our most important game in so long. Really hope he can step up and have his best game of the season.

The Original

No, he is the greatest of all time.

I don't know what the other argument was, right now James and Bruno are not at same level. Even last season he wasn't as good, maybe 2-3 season ago he was.

Maybe in 2014.
Really? He's gone from Real Madrid to Bayern and now likely to Athletico, all of whom are better than Utd at the moment...he's far from washed up and Bruno simply hasn't proven himself at the same level yet though I do not doubt that he eventually will.

The point is, when Real offered him in part exchange for Pogba, that was a deal with value.

roonster09

Scout
Really? He's gone from Real Madrid to Bayern and now likely to Athletico, all of whom are better than Utd at the moment...he's far from washed up and Bruno simply hasn't proven himself at the same level yet though I do not doubt that he eventually will.

The point is, when Real offered him in part exchange for Pogba, that was a deal with value.
He went to Bayern on loan for 2 seasons, had option to buy him for 40 million and still passed the option.

Just because he is at better team doesn't mean he is better player. They have tried to offload him without much success. It's like we have Lingard and ManUtd is better than Villa so Lingard is better than Grealish (took extreme example btw to show why players shouldn't be rated bases on teams they are in).

I don't think there is any truth in Madrid offering James, if they really offered it then it's not a value bid, it's a poor one. They want to tag the player they are trying to offload for few seasons.

The Original

He went to Bayern on loan for 2 seasons, had option to buy him for 40 million and still passed the option.

Just because he is at better team doesn't mean he is better player. They have tried to offload him without much success. It's like we have Lingard and ManUtd is better than Villa so Lingard is better than Grealish (took extreme example btw to show why players shouldn't be rated bases on teams they are in).

I don't think there is any truth in Madrid offering James, if they really offered it then it's not a value bid, it's a poor one. They want to tag the player they are trying to offload for few seasons.
Fair enough.

Bobski

Unfortunately it seems that we are back to the minute analysis of the perfect role for him. I had really hoped by this stage he would have matured into a more consistently adaptable player.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Unfortunately it seems that we are back to the minute analysis of the perfect role for him. I had really hoped by this stage he would have matured into a more consistently adaptable player.
He can play the role he has now. He is obviously tired and is not the only one.

Its almost as of people forget before the restart he had not completed 90 mins since September

He should have been used more sparingly however Ole didnt trust the others so we need to sort the squad out in the summer

Same goes for Bruno who form has also dipped and has been making plenty of mistakes in the midfield of late

Keefy18

Its almost as of people forget before the restart he had not completed 90 mins since September
This.

It's completely lost to all and if you try defend him in anyway shape or form your torn apart.

RUCK4444

Which teams in those competitions came close to France or Juventus?
Ok so you are... Pogba was a pivotal player in both which speaks volumes.

Your example of ‘might as well play Lingard‘ is a joke.

What Paul’s inclusion in those squads proves is that he’s more than good enough to be a mainstay in top sides and going further he was an absolute leader in the French dressing room.

If you can’t see his quality and how he’s proved himself elsewhere already then I can’t help you.

He was vital in our good form since the restart, as soon as he goes off the boil so does the team, just like before Bruno arrived, whenever we were without Pogba we were void of creativity.

Like I’ve said prior, he’s done the business elsewhere, has put in consistently good numbers at this club even when we were a complete shambles, and he will prove himself again elsewhere once our misguided fans hound him out of the club. Who will be your scapegoat then? Bruno whenever he doesnt score, assist and singlehandedly win us the league? :rolleyes:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Not seen the 'world class' Pogbe since Ole's caretaker manager run. We could do with him putting in an appearance today and I think he will.

roonster09

Scout
This guy is really obsessed with this 'world class' tag and then he preaches in other thread how players shouldn't be made scapegoat :lol:

Hammondo

Ok so you are... Pogba was a pivotal player in both which speaks volumes.

Your example of ‘might as well play Lingard‘ is a joke.

What Paul’s inclusion in those squads proves is that he’s more than good enough to be a mainstay in top sides and going further he was an absolute leader in the French dressing room.

If you can’t see his quality and how he’s proved himself elsewhere already then I can’t help you.

He was vital in our good form since the restart, as soon as he goes off the boil so does the team, just like before Bruno arrived, whenever we were without Pogba we were void of creativity.

Like I’ve said prior, he’s done the business elsewhere, has put in consistently good numbers at this club even when we were a complete shambles, and he will prove himself again elsewhere once our misguided fans hound him out of the club. Who will be your scapegoat then? Bruno whenever he doesnt score, assist and singlehandedly win us the league? :rolleyes:
He wasn't really that pivotal, as others have said his roles in those teams were exaggerated and he wasn't one of the more important players.

If he was then Juventus would not have told him. If he was really a top player then 80 million for his age would be crazy.

Yes we lack creativity without Bruno and Pogba, but that doesn't mean much, it just means we lack creative players.

He has a lot of talent, his passing and technique are at the highest level, but there are other parts of his football which are simply not anywhere near as good as they should be. You cannot just judge a player based on what they are good at.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Well, here's your platform. Will be the most watched game today, with crucial stakes. He should be more or less fit again, playing against a good midfield but with some excellent players around and ahead of him. It's box office, so let's see if he rises to it.

We'll know early, watch how hard he tries to get his head on long goal kicks. On his day, he's up there bossing it (especially against that Leicester midfield) but off his day he's shirking, looking to use his legs instead of his head.

Raven

Pundits on Sky giving him a bit of a doing again, unsurprisingly. No nothing cnuts.

U99ted

He wasn't really that pivotal, as others have said his roles in those teams were exaggerated and he wasn't one of the more important players.

If he was then Juventus would not have told him. If he was really a top player then 80 million for his age would be crazy.

Yes we lack creativity without Bruno and Pogba, but that doesn't mean much, it just means we lack creative players.

He has a lot of talent, his passing and technique are at the highest level, but there are other parts of his football which are simply not anywhere near as good as they should be. You cannot just judge a player based on what they are good at.
89 million was a world record at the time :lol: According to your logic, C. Ronaldo wasn't all that, because if he was, we wouldn't have sold him, right?

And for such an unimportant player, he did well to con his way into Serie A's team of the season 3 times in a row, and be the only Juventus midfielder in 2015/16. Also the only Juventus player in the 2015 FIFPro World XI, when Juve reached the CL final.

Let's just hope for a great performance from him and the team today.

fezzerUTD

James was always over rated. Played well in 1 world cup and scored a screamer. He has done nothing for Real. Bruno won Euros being a player. Real would win the league and CL without James.

DoomSlayer

Praying for a masterclass from Pogba. We need a top performance and a leader on the pitch if the team starts falling under the pressure.

Suedesi

You know, I'm being kind by saying Bruno is on a par with James. In reality if you compare their careers and achievements, James comes off as the superior player. If you disagree, i'd love to hear your opinion on why.
It's a silly comparison. One is 29 and certainly on the wane, the other is about to hit his peak. It's like* comparing Mata and Greenwood, obviously Mata has the medals and the career but Greenwood starts.

*an extreme example to drive home the point.

Bobski

Quiet game, a couple of nice passes late in the first half, but it was such a poor game overall, so few risks being taken, not much chance for any of the attackers to shine.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Thats more like it. Possibly best on the pitch today for me. Needed a response after how awful he was midweek, but he showed up and his fitness was good throughout. Good to see.

Squeaky Bumtime

Solid game, tried to dribble past 3 players and few misplaced passes in the beginning but settled later and played a nice, mature game.

The Original

It's a silly comparison. One is 29 and certainly on the wane, the other is about to hit his peak. It's like* comparing Mata and Greenwood, obviously Mata has the medals and the career but Greenwood starts.

*an extreme example to drive home the point.
That's not a representative analogy. Mata is already past it in terms of performances whereas James was not, at the time. There is also not that much between Bruno and James in terms of age as Bruno is 25. James had achieved way more at that age.

Also, the point is that James has been a top-class player, so good that even on his decline he is better than many, and at possibly on par with an emerging Bruno (who may continue to rise and eventually surpass him).

You may disagree but you certainly haven't advanced any argument as to why Bruno is much better.

Classical Mechanic

Classic Pogba performance really. Some great balls and some terrible ones. Looked in a world of trouble chasing back in the first half but really grew into the game second half. Did well when it became a full on war of attrition.

Andersonson

He wasnt good in first half. Lost the ball twice in a very dangerous position.

Grew into to it and made some beauty passes. He deserves some rest now. Can't wait to see him again next year

mu4c_20le

Matic also lost the ball, whether that was result of their press or fatigue, it affected everyone. Love that he provided the creativity that we needed from him today. Several times he decided against the safe pass and went for the killer ball instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.