6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

fergiesarmy1

Like Argentina ? You can rightly criticize Pogba for his shortcomings but to be sure of something impossible like that is weird to me.
Think Messi has something like 68 goals for Argentina so not too shabby work.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Think Messi has something like 68 goals for Argentina so not too shabby work.
Still he'd trade them all for a trophy. Point is, he cannot perform anywhere to his Barca level because his teammates and his managers have been generally terrible while not being very good himself. There aren't many players who can carry teams on their back, Pogba has many flaws obviously but still to this day, many of our fans (not you necessarily) still expect him to do things he's never done and will never do in his football career

fergiesarmy1

Still he'd trade them all for a trophy. Point is, he cannot perform anywhere to his Barca level because his teammates and his managers have been generally terrible while not being very good himself. There aren't many players who can carry teams on their back, Pogba has many flaws obviously but still to this day, many of our fans (not you necessarily) still expect him to do things he's never done and will never do in his football career
Well he can do them elsewhere then rather than performing like crap mostly, last 2 months of last season was a disgrace, had one good game this season mostly when we were already comfortably winning, hasn’t scored in open play since the middle of February yet some people are in awe.

It bemuses me.

He'sRaldo

Well he can do them elsewhere then rather than performing like crap mostly, last 2 months of last season was a disgrace, had one good game this season mostly when we were already comfortably winning, hasn’t scored in open play since the middle of February yet some people are in awe.

It bemuses me.
We just need to get some more class players in, then we won't be as enamored with Pogba. Remember the Ibra season?

For now, it's this way because he's all we have in terms of bonafide world-class level.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

It bemuses me.
He's here till next summer window so you better be patient.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
They were on his left foot, with a defender right alongside. He certainly wasn’t put clean through. Technically chances but not very good ones.
This is the sort of irrational bullshit...he's now supposed to only put players through one on one if there's not a defender in close proximity and it's on his stronger foot. :houllier:

RooneyLegend

Some of the things in this thread are fantastic.

Basically, stick him him in an easier league in the best team surrounded by world class players with the best manager with no defensive responsibilities and just let him play. Then we'll see the best of him.

What a player.
Almost every player on the world playing in a non elite club is inconsistent or considered so by folks. Reason being its harder to play in a dysfunctional side rather than a well oiled machine especially when players are being judged by modern standards.

fergiesarmy1

This is the sort of irrational bullshit...he's now supposed to only put players through one on one if there's not a defender in close proximity and it's on his stronger foot. :houllier:
Give me gif’s :lol: is it at @GifLord how you manage to maybe get em, I’m too old for this shit :lol:

RooneyLegend

Depends on the player, some relish being be the main man. Maradonna had no right winning the World Cup with his team but he dragged them through. Even in the final when he was man marked by half the opposition he knew it was going to benefit the team so got on with it even though he would have loved to have scored the winner. Robson carried united on his back at times, it was a common feeling if he weren’t playing united weren’t winning.

But I’m not putting this over rated over paid problem in the same league as those legends of the game.
Maradona was mediocre in that final apart from one touch.

RooneyLegend

Nonsense, Roy keane never gave the ball away when playing for Ireland and he had worse players playing around him, pogba could always try and run with it when he receives it if there is no one available to pass to, instead he holds onto it, waits for someone to challenge him and all too often loses it. I dont believe that he had no passing options against the 4 teams we have played so far, that argument would carry weight if we were playing against pool or city perhaps but not fecking palace and Southampton
Rpy Keane also never created much for Ireland.

RooneyLegend

It bemuses me.
Going to be interested to see how bemused you are whem Longstaff is striding out at OT.

fergiesarmy1

Sounds like the type thats happy with McT, no wonder we're going nowhere.
I have zero problem with McT but I’m not youth for youths sake either. I want us to be our best obviously but I just don’t see it with the pogba circus. (Apparently his bro has come out with some more bullshit now it’s international week) Pogba would have probably said some crap if he wasn’t injured. The whole Pogba circus is just a problem a club with problems don’t need.

Jimmy_Bond

Almost every player on the world playing in a non elite club is inconsistent or considered so by folks. Reason being its harder to play in a dysfunctional side rather than a well oiled machine especially when players are being judged by modern standards.
I don't really think Pogba is inconsistent to be honest.

He's generally bad, and every so often he's really good. We've heard every excuse under the sun for three years, apart from "he's not half as good as people think."

RooneyLegend

I don't really think Pogba is inconsistent to be honest.

He's generally bad, and every so often he's really good. We've heard every excuse under the sun for three years, apart from "he's not half as good as people think."
Who's no generally bad in our team in your opinion?

Jimmy_Bond

Who's no generally bad in our team in your opinion?
Well this season it'd only be AWB, Maguire and Martial. But that's not the point. People don't rate a lot of our players, so it's not like they're performing under themselves. People continuously say that Pogba is world class. He's generally played SO far below a world class level in his three years with us that I can't accept it.

To be honest, even with France, whilst his performances have been better, I've never seen him play for them and thought "jesus, this guy is incredible."

Maybe he'll go somewhere else and prove me wrong. Hopefully he'll stay here and prove me wrong. He's a phenomenal passer of the ball on his day, but I've never seen him dominate football matches and tear through everyone on the pitch. He seemingly has all the attributes to do such things, but together they just don't seem to work.

I've heard all the excuses, but in my opinion he's just not as good as (some) people think. He's not been worth the money we paid for him, but the only positive is that he's not worth the money we'll receive for him thanks to inflation and his incredible media team.

I had a really good feeling prior to the season starting, and though the responsibility and trust given to him would see him take things by the scruff of the neck and become the player people say he is. But no, same old Pogba, and the same old excuses. Never his fault, always a million other factors.

Honestly, I can't wait until he's gone, and all the circus that surrounds him. If he left tomorrow, he'd be remembered as a flop. Does he have any desire to alter that? Is he capable of altering that? Time will tell. I know where my money lies though...

Jimmy_Bond

Not happy with James @Jimmy_Bond ? Coming from the championship, think he’s been fantastic.

And yeah pogba as Neville said can do one
Happy with James yeah, he's exceeded my expectations but then I didn't really have any.

Do I think he's a top 4 or even top 6 player? Probably not at the moment. The goals will inevitably dry up soon, and will what's left of his contribution be enough?

Happy to go with him though. Got the attributes and attitude that I like, so willing to back him when things get tough for him. Needs to stay on the left though, I actually thought he was shit on the right, and I think most perceptions have changed due to the game and a bit he's played on the left.

fergiesarmy1

Happy with James yeah, he's exceeded my expectations but then I didn't really have any.

Do I think he's a top 4 or even top 6 player? Probably not at the moment. The goals will inevitably dry up soon, and will what's left of his contribution be enough?

Happy to go with him though. Got the attributes and attitude that I like, so willing to back him when things get tough for him. Needs to stay on the left though, I actually thought he was shit on the right, and I think most perceptions have changed due to the game and a bit he's played on the left.
I’m aiming higher for him, think we will see double figures goals from him and hopefully a lot of assists, touch wood.

fergiesarmy1

You think he’s better than Pogba? Or just the type of person/player you prefer
For me has been miles better, stepping up from the championship to the premier league and already bagging 3 goals while being treated disgracefully by referees, I’d give him player of the month just for overcoming that and still performing.

RooneyLegend

Well this season it'd only be AWB, Maguire and Martial. But that's not the point. People don't rate a lot of our players, so it's not like they're performing under themselves. People continuously say that Pogba is world class. He's generally played SO far below a world class level in his three years with us that I can't accept it.

To be honest, even with France, whilst his performances have been better, I've never seen him play for them and thought "jesus, this guy is incredible."

Maybe he'll go somewhere else and prove me wrong. Hopefully he'll stay here and prove me wrong. He's a phenomenal passer of the ball on his day, but I've never seen him dominate football matches and tear through everyone on the pitch. He seemingly has all the attributes to do such things, but together they just don't seem to work.

I've heard all the excuses, but in my opinion he's just not as good as (some) people think. He's not been worth the money we paid for him, but the only positive is that he's not worth the money we'll receive for him thanks to inflation and his incredible media team.

I had a really good feeling prior to the season starting, and though the responsibility and trust given to him would see him take things by the scruff of the neck and become the player people say he is. But no, same old Pogba, and the same old excuses. Never his fault, always a million other factors.

Honestly, I can't wait until he's gone, and all the circus that surrounds him. If he left tomorrow, he'd be remembered as a flop. Does he have any desire to alter that? Is he capable of altering that? Time will tell. I know where my money lies though...
There in lies the problem. Our whole team is dysfunctional and devoid of a clear plan of what its doing. Almost everyone is underperforming, some just arent talented enough to be here to begin with. Some are old and some are inexperienced. Gomes has more talent in his pinky toe than most of our starting 11.

Out of our starters and in the front 6, only Pogba and Martial have elite level talent. That's a shody place to be for a club our size. No one would ever be consistently brilliant under these conditions. You say its excuses i say it's just the way things are. We have the worlds most expensive midfielder playing with Scotty McT ffs.

Full bodied red

It could also be that he doesn't trust his partners. Not really a surprise when you think his partners are Matic and McT.

Give him a KDB / peak Busquets or a proper coach who can instill some playing style to the team. We lost our identity long back and what we see now is a bunch of talented players trying their luck.

But there we go again....

Isn't he supposed to be our very own KdB / peak Busquests ??

Why just stop at KdB and / or Busquests ??

Buy them both....And Ronaldo and Messi...And then who after that before we finally admit he's simply not on the same planet as these that we're suggesting are needed to get him to play better.

Feck....Even I might look better playing with KdB and Busquets than I do with my regular Sunday afternoon pub team....

Last edited:

He'sRaldo

Buy them both....And Ronaldo and Messi...And then who after that before we finally admit he's simply not on the same planet as these that we're sugegesting are needed to get him to play better.

Feck....Even I might look better playing with KdB and Busquets than I do with my regular Sunday afternoon pub team....

But that's the point isn't it? Improve the quality of the whole team so even if he's poor we can still win, and thus it doesn't matter as much.

Every player will have poor games so we need to plan for them by having other quality options to win matches.

Full bodied red

But that's the point isn't it? Improve the quality of the whole team so even if he's poor it doesn't matter as much.

Every player will have poor games so we need to plan for them by having other quality options to win matches.

You're not serious...Right ?? Right ??

Might as well sign my Granny in that case - she might have a good game from time to time, but it wouldn't really matter if she didn't because the other ten would be there to cover for her when she was having a bad one....

He'sRaldo

You're not serious...Right ?? Right ??

Might as well sign my Granny in that case - she might have a good game from time to time, but it wouldn't really matter if she didn't because the other ten would be there to cover for her when she was having a bad one....
In that case, the team would always be covering for poor old granny and she'd be a liability and add nothing. So it would definitely be unacceptable.

All players have qualities they can add and deficiencies they need to be covered up. If you can find the right balance to your team to cover up the deficiencies while showcasing the qualities (provided they're at a high enough level), then it becomes a very good team.

I remember when Kroos used to play in a double pivot with Modric, put in poor performances and was slated, with work-rate, desire, etc questioned. Enter Casemiro and suddenly 3 times CL winner and legendary midfielder. Sometimes it's as simple as that.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Buy them both....And Ronaldo and Messi...And then who after that before we finally admit he's simply not on the same planet as these that we're suggesting are needed to get him to play better.

Put KDB in our team and do you think he will produce the same numbers with us ? That will answer your question.

SaintMuppet

Pogba has world class moments. I’m not sure they occur often enough and have enough effect in games for him to qualify as ‘world class’ himself.

Having a World Cup winners medal alone is not necessarily enough to qualify either.

If we had 2 or 3 more quality players I think it would be more obvious he ain’t all that...

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Depends on the player, some relish being be the main man. Maradonna had no right winning the World Cup with his team but he dragged them through. Even in the final when he was man marked by half the opposition he knew it was going to benefit the team so got on with it even though he would have loved to have scored the winner. Robson carried united on his back at times, it was a common feeling if he weren’t playing united weren’t winning.

But I’m not putting this over rated over paid problem in the same league as those legends of the game.
Now you are bringing international tourneys or once in a while generation talents. I will make it simple for you - good players plays better when they have better players with them (surprised?)

Put KDB or Silva or Salah in our team (one of them) and we would still be having the same discussion whether they are good enough or not because we don't have a proper setup or team.

Sterling Archer

But that's the point isn't it? Improve the quality of the whole team so even if he's poor we can still win, and thus it doesn't matter as much.

I get what you're saying but Pogba was a 100 million transfer

He'sRaldo

Aye, and IMO it wasn't smart to spend big at that time, because the team wasn't ready yet. I've said previously that if you want to break records then it should be for "last piece of the puzzle" types, not the building blocks themselves.

No use spending big for a player and then having them struggle due to a dysfunctional team. I really hope it doesn't happen to Maguire this time around...

jackal&hyde

There will always be a lot of bs around players of this quality. Hope he signs a new contract and that will see some of the media frenzy calm down.

In Rainbows

That's kind of cheap considering what's going for anything near that these days.

KDB has Silva, and Fernandinho next to him. Busquets had Iniesta and Xavi next to him. I mean seriously, go back and look at all these players and who they played next to. It's not going to paint current United in a great light.

Last edited:

Halal Jalal

A bargain, considering his current value and how many league points he's won single-handedly. Some people expect him to carry the whole team every single match but that's impossible, no player in history has done that.

Status
Not open for further replies.