Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Well I don’t have to watch him annoy me this weekend thankfully.
Too bad, watching you get annoyed by him is a pleasure I have to say :angel: .

A bargain, considering his current value and how many league points he's won single-handedly. Some people expect him to carry the whole team every single match but that's impossible, no player in history has done that.
I have never seen a United player who has had higher expectation placed on his shoulder, game after game

Jimmy_Bond

There in lies the problem. Our whole team is dysfunctional and devoid of a clear plan of what its doing. Almost everyone is underperforming, some just arent talented enough to be here to begin with. Some are old and some are inexperienced. Gomes has more talent in his pinky toe than most of our starting 11.

Out of our starters and in the front 6, only Pogba and Martial have elite level talent. That's a shody place to be for a club our size. No one would ever be consistently brilliant under these conditions. You say its excuses i say it's just the way things are. We have the worlds most expensive midfielder playing with Scotty McT ffs.
I'm not just talking about now. I'm talking about a three year period. Everything has been tried to get world class performances out of him, yet they've never arrived.

As you said, he's the world's most expensive midfielder. There's been the odd flash in the pan, but over a three year period he's never even looked close to being the world's most expensive midfielder.

Time for the excuses to stop. It's him.

In Rainbows

I'm not just talking about now. I'm talking about a three year period. Everything has been tried to get world class performances out of him, yet they've never arrived.

As you said, he's the world's most expensive midfielder. There's been the odd flash in the pan, but over a three year period he's never even looked close to being the world's most expensive midfielder.

Time for the excuses to stop. It's him.
What has been tried exactly? The same problems that exist now, existed back then. All of this stems from a lack of quality and this whole topic shouldn't be centered around Pogba anyways. We're buying players to fit what we have because that is what all clubs do. Pogba isn't unique in this regard, and United aren't going through hell and back to do anything of the sort.

If buying Matic is an example of this, it's hilariously inept.

Jimmy_Bond

What has been tried exactly? The same problems that exist now, existed back then. All of this stems from a lack of quality and this whole topic shouldn't be centered around Pogba anyways. We're buying players to fit what we have because that is what all clubs do. Pogba isn't unique in this regard, and United aren't going through hell and back to do anything of the sort.

If buying Matic is an example of this, it's hilariously inept.
Matic was very good in his first season, and we finished 2nd.

Pogba was bought in to be a top midfielder. He's never performed like one. In the year we finished second he had Matic (who still resembled the Chelsea version) and Herrera in there with him. Two players of high quality who would do all the dirty work and running. Everything that Pogba needed to shine. He was absolutely fecking shite.

Just a question, what is it that makes you like Pogba so much? And I'm asking genuinely, not to antogonise. I've never known a player (apart from Ozil maybe) who has been so crap for such a long period yet still receives so much support and excuses from large parts of the support. Is it not wanting to let go of the hope and excitement that came with his signing, because it was expected that we were signing a top, world class player?

I just can't believe some of the excuses that are made for him. Not only has he never performed to a level that resembles his price tag (despite us being a good team for his first two years here, that won two major trophies, got to another final and finished second in the league). Combine poor performances with his off the pitch nonsense, the things he has said, the liking silly little Instagram posts, his brother mouthing of and of course turning up at Man City with Sky Blue hair the day after Pep confirmed he had be offered to them by his agent in the window that had just shut, and it's unbelievable that people are still making excuses for him.

Like I said, can't wait for him to go.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Pogba was bought in to be a top midfielder. He's never performed like one. In the year we finished second he had Matic (who still resembled the Chelsea version) and Herrera in there with him. Two players of high quality who would do all the dirty work and running. Everything that Pogba needed to shine. He was absolutely fecking shite.

Just a question, what is it that makes you like Pogba so much? And I'm asking genuinely, not to antogonise. I've never known a player (apart from Ozil maybe) who has been so crap for such a long period yet still receives so much support and excuses from large parts of the support. Is it not wanting to let go of the hope and excitement that came with his signing, because it was expected that we were signing a top, world class player?

I just can't believe some of the excuses that are made for him. Not only has he never performed to a level that resembles his price tag (despite us being a good team for his first two years here, that won two major trophies, got to another final and finished second in the league). Combine poor performances with his off the pitch nonsense, the things he has said, the liking silly little Instagram posts, his brother mouthing of and of course turning up at Man City with Sky Blue hair the day after Pep confirmed he had be offered to them by his agent in the window that had just shut, and it's unbelievable that people are still making excuses for him.

Herrera and Pogba started 5-6 league games in 2017-18.

@Jeppers7 I was talking about posts like this, when I said "There is 0 thought process is most of the criticism."

Halal Jalal

Never read such concentrated load of nonsense in my life!

In Rainbows

Matic was good for half a season, which is why I started bringing up him being average in his thread around March because nobody was bringing him up. He was awful for Chelsea before he was sold to us too. I wasn't surprised by his 2nd season here because he was well on his way to performing that way in his first season. And Matic was a poor fit around Pogba regardless. The guy is slow, isn't some great passer, and his defending isn't something good either. He's a holding midfielder out of necessity due to him being slow. If he wasn't contributing defensively than he is quite pointless. It's not like he does anything else good. Compare him to Carrick who had to be a holding midfielder too because of his legs, Carrick was an amazing passer and his positioning to defend was better than Matic's.

Herrera was never some class player. He was a good player and good fit next to Pogba and Matic because both of them lack energy. He's a big loss for that reason.

Despite this, Pogba was still one of our better players. It seems like many of you like to erase any good periods he has because you like to label him inconsistent which is fair. When people bring up Pogba has been one of our better players, you guys always resort to the "he needs to be judged on higher standards" point. Not when we're judging who our better players are we don't.

Inconsistent > consistently crap which is what most of our players are.

Your question is just a strange question. I like him being on the team because I recognize him as one of our best players who wants the crap around him to be better and if that raised floor then makes Pogba a liability, I'll be glad to let go of him. As of now, that isn't close to true and everybody that wants him out sounds completely irrational.

Stop having different standards for our players. Have one standard and Pogba staying is easily one of the more sane choices.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Herrera and Pogba started 5-6 league games in 2017-18.

@Jeppers7 I was talking about posts like this, when I said "There is 0 thought process is most of the criticism."
Yep...a lot of posters have made their minds up, I'm fine with that. You don't like him and would rather he leaves. That's fine but don't rewrite history. He hasn't been awful, he hasn't been great. There are reasons....some of them on him....others on the club. Accept that.

If people can't accept that, then it's simply irrational

Jimmy_Bond

Yep...a lot of posters have made their minds up, I'm fine with that. You don't like him and would rather he leaves. That's fine but don't rewrite history. He hasn't been awful, he hasn't been great. There are reasons....some of them on him....others on the club. Accept that.

If people can't accept that, then it's simply irrational
Of course we have different standards for different players.

When you break the world record for a player, you expect world class performances.

When you get ok and inconsistent performances, this is awful considering the money you've spent. It's not that difficult to understand.

And it's not that I don't like him. If he carried the same baggage as a player like Herrera, and had the same reputation in the game, I'd be more than happy for him to stay. But Pogba isn't worth the circus.
Never read such concentrated load of nonsense in my life!
The best thing of course is that when he leaves, you'll go and support someone else.

Jimmy_Bond

Stop having different standards for our players. Have one standard and Pogba staying is easily one of the more sane choices.
I've touched on this above. Sorry, but this is a ridiculous statement. I'm supposed to have the same standards for players like Pogba and McTominay?

Absurd.

roonster09

Scout
Herrera was never some class player. He was a good player and good fit next to Pogba and Matic because both of them lack energy. He's a big loss for that reason
They didn't play together in many games too. Herrera and Pogba started together in 7 league games in 2017-18. Herrera - Pogba - Matic trio started around 5 league games in 2017-18 season and IIRC it's 5 games in PL + CL.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
07:30
Paul Pogba's brother issues United transfer update
Paul Pogba’s brother, Mathias, says his sibling is going to focus on the current season with United after failing to secure a summer exit from the club.

“Paul knows that he cannot leave Manchester United so he’s going to focus on this season,” Mathias told El Chiringuito.

“It’s not easy right now, because he has a lot of responsibility in the team.

“A lot of big players have left.

“The only great player is [David] De Gea, the goalkeeper, which means he’s going to have to put a lot of effort in every game.”

(Image: 2019 Manchester United FC)

Fredo

You broke my heart!
We criticized Mourinho for playing him in a 2-man midfield, then Ole comes in and does the same. Pogba will never be good defensively, the guy's magic is up front with the strikers. We either play a midfield 3 or 4 or just sell him. If we believe Pogba is the player we should build the team around, we can't have junk players playing next to him. The difference between his time at Juventus and United is appalling really...

roonster09

Scout
Paul Pogba’s brother, Mathias, says his sibling is going to focus on the current season with United after failing to secure a summer exit from the club.

“Paul knows that he cannot leave Manchester United so he’s going to focus on this season,” Mathias told El Chiringuito.

“The only great player is [David] De Gea, the goalkeeper, which means he’s going to have to put a lot of effort in every game.”
Wish he shuts up for some time. He sounds very desperate for attention. Also this is close to Icardi - Inter saga when Icardi's wife kept shitting on his teammates.

Jimmy_Bond

This guy needs to shut his mouth, and his brother should be furious with him.

Of course, he isn't, and that tells you all that you need to know.

In Rainbows

I've touched on this above. Sorry, but this is a ridiculous statement. I'm supposed to have the same standards for players like Pogba and McTominay?

Absurd.
Not when judging which player did well in any given game or their own season. However, when it comes to who goes in or out, and who are our best players, yes you should have the same standard. For example, Messi scoring 30 goals and having 10 assists is an awful season for him, but a player with 20 goals and 10 assists for a lot of players is an amazing season. Do you now think Messi needs to go or that he's not the better player? Of course not. You judge them on the same standard when it's in that context.

I think it's pretty absurd that we should use different standards for the players and thus use that logic to get rid of our best midfielder. We need to raise the floor little by little. Again, it feels like you expect a midfield to get carried by 1 individual when no great club does that. Oh, Pogba out, now which great player is gonna be given a go to solve our midfield crisis?? I mean, really?

edit: Actually to change my stance, the one time you should use different standards is when taking into account wages. Of course, that's also dependent on your club having a bloated wage structure and the causes for that. I don't feel Pogba's wages are absurd. I feel like many of our squad needed to go for that reason, but the difference between them and Pogba is huge. Sanchez for example, was making more and was one of our worst players. Rojo is making a good amount for somebody who is easily replaceable and doesn't even play. Darmian before he was sold was a good example of somebody having absurd wages for somebody that doesn't really play and thus his contribution could be taken by a youth player.

When taking wages into account, sorry, but it's not Pogba that should go.

Last edited:

Jimmy_Bond

Not when judging which player did well in any given game or their own season. However, when it comes to who goes in or out, and who are our best players, yes you should have the same standard. For example, Messi scoring 30 goals and having 10 assists is an awful season for him, but a player with 20 goals and 10 assists for a lot of players is an amazing season. Do you now think Messi needs to go or that he's not the better player? Of course not. You judge them on the same standard when it's in that context.

I think it's pretty absurd that we should use different standards for the players and thus use that logic to get rid of our best midfielder. We need to raise the floor little by little. Again, it feels like you expect a midfield to get carried by 1 individual when no great club does that.
For goodness sake. He's been here for three years. He's not a world class midfielder, which he was supposed to be considering he's the most expensive in the world.

I want to sell him and buy players who aren't reliant on a million conditions to play well, that give us a return on the money we paid for them, and that don't subject us to the kind of nonsense we're yet again experiencing this morning with his brother.

In Rainbows

For goodness sake. He's been here for three years. He's not a world class midfielder, which he was supposed to be considering he's the most expensive in the world.

I want to sell him and buy players who aren't reliant on a million conditions to play well, that give us a return on the money we paid for them, and that don't subject us to the kind of nonsense we're yet again experiencing this morning with his brother.
He's been here for three years and been one of our better players in a squad full of average dross. That's undeniable.

Why do we need to sell him to buy players to make this team much better? We should be able to do that regardless and there are many squad players who are frankly useless that could free us up wages and get back some small fee. We lost Herrera and Fellaini and bought nobody. We should have bought a midfielder. Matic could go after this season, same with Young who are both out of contract. Rojo needs to go as he is not even playing right now. We can let go of one of Jones, Smalling, and Bailly as Tuanzebe is a replacement who is on much smaller wages and didn't cost anything. There are many ways to generate funds.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
This guy needs to shut his mouth, and his brother should be furious with him.

Of course, he isn't, and that tells you all that you need to know.
Exactly this. He’s probably telling him to come out with all of this shit. I don’t care how much talent he’s supposedly got, we’ve seen glimpses here and there and that’s it. He doesn’t want to be here and he’s certainly not worth the hassle, get rid of the clown.

Jimmy_Bond

He's been here for three years and been one of our better players in a squad full of average dross. That's undeniable.

Why do we need to sell him to buy players to make this team much better? We should be able to do that regardless and there are many squad players who are frankly useless that could free us up wages and get back some small fee. We lost Herrera and Fellaini and bought nobody. We should have bought a midfielder. Matic could go after this season, same with Young who are both out of contract. Rojo needs to go as he is not even playing right now. We can let go of one of Jones, Smalling, and Bailly as Tuanzebe is a replacement who is on much smaller wages and didn't cost anything. There are many ways to generate funds.
Because as I've said, I don't think Pogba is half as good as people say.

He's nowhere near justified the fee, yet it seems we can sell him for a profit due to this absurd market. Considering his baggage and overrated ability, I want shut of him.

As I've said quite a few times in this thread, I don't think he's a world class player. The hype and baggage that surround him are unbelievable. People (well, his fanclub) say we don't deserve him, the reality is he doesn't deserve to be at a club like United. We'll see another crap season from him judging from his start, hear a million excuses, have to endure nonsense from him and his brother and they'll be absolutely nothing to show for it.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Because as I've said, I don't think Pogba is half as good as people say.

He's nowhere near justified the fee, yet it seems we can sell him for a profit due to this absurd market. Considering his baggage and overrated ability, I want shut of him.

As I've said quite a few times in this thread, I don't think he's a world class player. The hype and baggage that surround him are unbelievable. People (well, his fanclub) say we don't deserve him, the reality is he doesn't deserve to be at a club like United. We'll see another crap season from him judging from his start, hear a million excuses, have to endure nonsense from him and his brother and they'll be absolutely nothing to show for it.
What is it about him that you don't think is good enough?

He was the top scoring/assisting midfielder in the whole of the league last year, and that's a player in a 6th placed team.

I personally think you're just upset and your pride wants him gone.

Bestietom

But so far not putting in that effort.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
But so far not putting in that effort.
Not sure the system is helping him, but he will have to put the effort in or he might find there is some shiny new midfielder out there next summer. There is always the latest thing that Real or Juve will take a liking to.

Bestietom

Not sure the system is helping him, but he will have to put the effort in or he might find there is some shiny new midfielder out there next summer. There is always the latest thing that Real or Juve will take a liking to.
And the euro's are on next year. Maybe a top midfielder would help if we were to get one in January. Hope Hope Hope.

Jimmy_Bond

He was the top scoring/assisting midfielder in the whole of the league last year, and that's a player in a 6th placed team.

My pride wants him gone? :lol: Well that's a new one.

It depends what you mean by "good enough." I mean, he's obviously a good footballer, but I don't think he's world class or worth the fee we paid.

Given his physical attributes, I expect him to be driving up and down and contributing to attacks and defence by making assists (he does contribute assists from time to time, but again usually in patches, much how James Beattie used to score goals) at one end and be winning the ball back and launching attacks at the other. I expect him to be a leader and a positive influence on the pitch. I expect him to have top class decision making and not be costing us goals by giving the ball away in silly positions. I expect him to have top class positional sense and understand how the shape of the team is affected by his movements. I expect him to drag the team through difficult situations (like when we concede goals away from home when we were leading) by putting himself about and showing composure on the ball and influencing those around him. He does sod all of this, and shows little desire to. This is what the most expensive central midfielder in the world with his supposed attributes should be doing. He should be something apparent to players like Keane, Vieira, Toure and Gerrard in terms of his influence on this team. He's not fit to lace those player's laces.

He's nothing like the player I thought we were buying. Also, take penalties (and rebounds from his own missed penalty) out and your statistic changes quite significantly. He's had one purple patch during his entire time with the club.

No doubt some people will have a million answers to why these things have never happened, but as you can see by his brother's comments, he embraces those excuses. The players I've named never did, and you put have put players like Keane, Vieira and Gerrard in a team with ten kids in a United/ Arsenal/ Liverpool shirt and played them against anyone and they'd have demanded a win, and still been the best player on the pitch. And if they weren't the best player on the pitch, they'd have looked at themselves, nobody else.

Pogba is a pale imitation of these types of players, but no doubt I'm about to be told why that is...

Adam-Utd

My pride wants him gone? :lol: Well that's a new one.

It depends what you mean by "good enough." I mean, he's obviously a good footballer, but I don't think he's world class or worth the fee we paid.

Given his physical attributes, I expect him to be driving up and down and contributing to attacks and defence by making assists (he does contribute assists from time to time, but again usually in patches, much how James Beattie used to score goals) at one end and be winning the ball back and launching attacks at the other. I expect him to be a leader and a positive influence on the pitch. I expect him to have top class decision making and not be costing us goals by giving the ball away in silly positions. I expect him to have top class positional sense and understand how the shape of the team is affected by his movements. I expect him to drag the team through difficult situations (like when we concede goals away from home when we were leading) by putting himself about and showing composure on the ball and influencing those around him. He does sod all of this, and shows little desire to. This is what the most expensive central midfielder in the world with his supposed attributes should be doing. He should be something apparent to players like Keane, Vieira, Toure and Gerrard in terms of his influence on this team. He's not fit to lace those player's laces.

He's nothing like the player I thought we were buying. Also, take penalties (and rebounds from his own missed penalty) out and your statistic changes quite significantly. He's had one purple patch during his entire time with the club.

No doubt some people will have a million answers to why these things have never happened, but as you can see by his brother's comments, he embraces those excuses. The players I've named never did, and you put have put players like Keane, Vieira and Gerrard in a team with ten kids in a United/ Arsenal/ Liverpool shirt and played them against anyone and they'd have demanded a win, and still been the best player on the pitch. And if they weren't the best player on the pitch, they'd have looked at themselves, nobody else.

Pogba is a pale imitation of these types of players, but no doubt I'm about to be told why that is...
I don't think anybody is going to argue that Pogba isn't a more complete player than those players mentioned. But right now we don't have those players, and neither are they available.

Whether we like it or not Pogba is the most talented player we have, and yes he makes mistakes - but we should be embracing the good he brings us, not shunning it and hoping he goes. If you're happy for a Matic / Pereira midfield instead then you've got a lot more to worry about.

If he wants to leave for Madrid then so be it, but in our current state he won't be the last unless we fix up.

Jimmy_Bond

I don't think anybody is going to argue that Pogba isn't a more complete player than those players mentioned. But right now we don't have those players, and neither are they available.

Whether we like it or not Pogba is the most talented player we have, and yes he makes mistakes - but we should be embracing the good he brings us, not shunning it and hoping he goes. If you're happy for a Matic / Pereira midfield instead then you've got a lot more to worry about.

If he wants to leave for Madrid then so be it, but in our current state he won't be the last unless we fix up.
I don't want a Matic/ Pereira midfield.

I want Pogba sold and replaced with players that live up to the bill. He hasn't.

Adam-Utd

I don't want a Matic/ Pereira midfield.

I want Pogba sold and replaced with players that live up to the bill. He hasn't.
Not many players better than Pogba that'll be happy to join a Europa League team unfortunately.

We might be stuck with that.

fergiesarmy1

Wasn’t it 5 goals from open play and 9 assists? (As @Jimmy_Bond said one of those was a rebound from another crap penalty) so in reality let’s call it 4 from open play

£100 million doesn’t buy much these days :lol:

Eric's Seagull

His brother should shut up moaning about him having to put in effort. Putting in effort should be a minimum requirement from a Manchester United player.

Full bodied red

Put KDB in our team and do you think he will produce the same numbers with us ? That will answer your question.

No he wouldn't....

Because he would have to play with Pogba.

OK...Only joking, but if you had the choice of either, who would you go with ?

I know who I'd go with, and it wouldn't be the one we're currently discussing.

Which probably clarifies things as far as I'm concerned - he is undoubtedly our best MF when he can be arsed ( but that's hardly difficult as everyone on here has already explained, the competition of Matic, McTominay, Fred and Pereria is hardly challenging ) but he's light years behind being the World Class MF that he and his apologists claim him to be.

And just how could he is ( not ) can probably be measured by the fact that he'd crawl on his hands and knees over broken glass to Madrid to play for Real, or back to Turin to play for Juventus, yet guess what - neither appear to want him.

So don't they want him because of the circus surrounding him ? Or because he's too inconsistant ? Or because he simply isn't good enough for a CL Team ?

Adam-Utd

Wasn’t it 5 goals from open play and 9 assists? (As @Jimmy_Bond said one of those was a rebound from another crap penalty) so in reality let’s call it 4 from open play

£100 million doesn’t buy much these days :lol:
So they don't count? I wonder how many goals all the other top scorers are losing also then. Kane must be down 10 goals every season :lol: muppet

fergiesarmy1

So they don't count? I wonder how many goals all the other top scorers are losing also then. Kane must be down 10 goals every season :lol: muppet
A muppet is someone who keeps pointing to his goal scoring stats as if they are amazing for a midfielder when in reality they aren’t that impressive.

Adam-Utd

A muppet is someone who keeps pointing to his goal scoring stats as if they are amazing for a midfielder when in reality they aren’t that impressive.
What other midfielder had more?

Status
Not open for further replies.