Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Pogba wouldn't be the sole source of creativity there and would be just one of many other good performers. And wouldn't take pens too. Everything goes trough him at United which helps his stats.

He is an excellent player but a big goal threat he isn't.
He plays deeper role and won't spend all the game in final third, which would have helped his stats too if he moves to more dominant team.

roonster09

Scout
All playing for better teams, 2 of them CL winners and premier league record goalscorers.

Put Pogba in their teams and he'd have similar if not better figures. Anybody doubting this has issues.
Forget stronger teams, they are all CFs, attacking wingers and main goal scorers for their teams.

roonster09

Scout
Look at the players you are comparing him with. Aguero, Salah, Mane are all playing for a team Miles ahead of everyone creating / scoring buckets of goals.

Auba and Vardy who have been terrific in the PL.

This shows how good Pogba is. Fans are having a go at him, but then compare him to the leagues best players and his numbers stack up to those. He then now has been also chipping in defensively.
Exactly. The fact that his numbers are comparable to league best attackers is lost on many.

OL29

We will find out next season, be 10% less posters here though as they will be on some madrista forum.
Yeah, because the posters who stick up for our players rather than sticking the boot in at every opportunity are the fair weather fans....

Classical Mechanic

fecking hell, what a pile of nonsense. They didn't set random date, they counted goals and assists since Ole took over. He is a midfielder who played in deeper role (and few games as advanced midfielder) but his numbers is close to strikers and wingers. And somehow it's bollocks because they counted from the time Ole took over.

So in PL he won possession more than anyone, funny how that is ignored just because they mentioned Europe. Also he didnt play same role all the time last season, what's the point of counting the stats when he was playing as advanced midfielder in first few games?

If it was about some English player, you would be using tissues to wipe the creamy white thing on your screen.

I don't like the player, so lets downplay whatever he has done. :lol:
They chose Ole's take over point because he had a period of high output like the rest of the team that has long since ended, as you well know.

There are numerous points of bullshit in that article and you just chose to ignore them one by one because you were dopey enough to laud them as 'incredible' earlier in the thread.

As for the English player comment, I don't think that is true. Check my posts in the xG thread, I didn't use this seasons stats because 4 games is not a relevant sample, do you think 4 games is a relevant sample?

Check my post history on Pogba, he formerly was my favourite player at United but my position is now that he's become bigger than the club for too many fans and that we would be better off moving on from him, not least because he doesn't want to be here but also because I believe he can be replaced and the team can become better than him.

roonster09

Scout
Yeah, because the posters who stick up for our players rather than sticking the boot in at every opportunity are the fair weather fans....
Yeah, how dare Manutd fans support ManUtd players. Should support Madrid.

It's amazing how Manutd fans downplay player's contribution just because they don't like the player (they even admitted it) but people who support players should support some other club.

Canagel

I don't understand why any ManUtd fans wants to pick negatives in be article which shows so many good things about Pogba. Won possession more than any player, since December contributed nearly as many goals as Mane, Salah, Auba and he is playing deeper role.
Its extraordinary. Its rare to find a player that could be so gifted in multiple areas (even get compared to strikers and wingers just because he cost 90m :lol:) and even play out of his postion but still have something to show for it. Incredible. In any other club he would have been treated like a hero.

Treble

He plays deeper role and won't spend all the game in final third, which would have helped his stats too if he moves to more dominant team.
Was this deeper role a thing during the purple patch he had in January and February? Didn't he play closer to the forwards back then with Herrera and Matic/McTom behind him? Besides, a deeper role gives him the chance to have assists. Arnold has had a similar amount of assists and he is playing even deeper than Pogba. It's not like the closer you play to the opposition goal, the more assists you have.

fergiesarmy1

If a player wants out he isn’t getting my support. Call me fair weather if you like only been supporting us since 86 and been nearly 1000 games.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Pogba has won possession in the midfield third for Manchester United more times (27) than any other player in Europe's top five leagues season, with Jorginho (26) and Jefferson Lerma (23) the next best.

Disingenous bollocks because he's played significant more minutes than the majority of those players in the top 5 leagues.

Pogba has been widely criticised because he has given the ball away on 90 occasions so far this season, but the fact he has touched the ball 380 times puts the previous statistic in perspective.

The 26-year-old has only lost the ball on 23.7 per cent of his touches, which is lower than Kevin De Bruyne (26%), Roberto Firmino (27%) and Mohamed Salah (34%).

Disingenuous bollocks because he's played in a position where ball retention is crucially important this season whereas the other player have opposite responsibilities, they are risk takers.

Since Ole Gunnar Solskjaer took over the United coaching role from Jose Mourinho, Pogba has made 18 goal contributions (10 goals, eight assists), which puts him fourth in the Premier League behind Sergio Aguero (24), Mohamed Salah (21) and Jamie Vardy (20).

Disingenous bollocks because in this case they've decided to use stats from half way through last season as opposed to stats for this season in the other cases.

Their broadest conclusion is made using a 4 game sample which is a complete nonsense.

The whole article is garbage.
More like you are disingenuous. Pogba isn't a risk taker now? How can he be slated for playing in a position that is not natural to him for the good of the team? Shouldn't you be slating the person who's responsible for it? I.e. the manager?

Put De Bruyne & Eriksen deep in midfield and see how many times they lose the ball too.

When Ole first came in and we had some semblance of a balanced midfield with Herrera & Matic with Pogba freed up further forward, he tore the league up. That is a fact. He hasn't been able to play that role since. Hardly his fault his output isn't as great anymore due to our shambles of a setup. It's obvious. Look how deep he plays for us now. His heatmap is like a defensive midfield player now compared to the leagues best players who play much, much further forward. Seriously, compare his heatmap to Eriksen, De Bruyne etc, you will be shocked how he is even managing to be near them in goal contributions considering.

romufc

Exactly. The fact that his numbers are comparable to league best attackers is lost on many.
Funnily on threads, alot of fans quote his £89m that he should deliver more.

He was worth that because:

1) He is a quality player
2) We were in desperate need of a Midfielder
3) He comes with huge commercial benefits

Unfortunately, we as a team we have failed miserably.

roonster09

Scout
They chose Ole's take over point because he had a period of high output like the rest of the team that has long since ended, as you well know.

There are numerous points of bullshit in that article and you just chose to ignore them one by one because you were dopey enough to laud them as 'incredible' earlier in the thread.

As for the English player comment, I don't think that is true. Check my posts in the xG thread, I didn't use this seasons stats because 4 games is not a relevant sample, do you think 4 games is a relevant sample?

Check my post history on Pogba, he formerly was my favourite player at United but my position is now that he's become bigger than the club for too many fans and that we would be better off moving on from him, not least because he doesn't want to be here but also because I believe he can be replaced and the team can become better than him.
You have made it clear in this post and other one, that you don't like the circus, so that's clouding your judgement on the player.

They didn't set random date, they selected Ole's start date as that was when Pogba was moved to more attacking role for few games.

No there is't any bs in that article, they have set the conditions for a reason. And no it wasn't dopey to laud them incredible, its just silly to downplay them.

Even now I don't understand why anyone will downplay CM's goal contribution when it's close enough to league's best attackers. Maybe if you still liked Pogba, your posts would have been more supportive of Pogba.

Whether Pogba can be replaced, whether we will be better team is all irrelevant now and it's for different argument. This is about how good Pogba is for ManUtd and how he is leading is so many stats.

Last edited:

roonster09

Scout
Was this deeper role a thing during the purple patch he had in January and February? Didn't he play closer to the forwards back then with Herrera and Matic/McTom behind him? Besides, a deeper role gives him the chance to have assists. Arnold has had a similar amount of assists and he is playing even deeper than Pogba. It's not like the closer you play to the opposition goal, the more assists you have.
This was from december to this month. He played only few games in the attacking role and then Ole said he wants more control on the game so he will play Pogba deeper.

Now deeper role gives more chances to have assists? Lets agree to disagree.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
No it wasn't. He only got moved back when everyone was dropping like flies around February. Ole said he needed to do it, to help us gain more control in the midfield by Pogba being on the ball more. But, as we know, it's been downhill ever since.

How can playing deeper give you a better chance to have assists? I'm confused. The further forward you play, the easier it is to have goal contributions. That's obvious. That's why De Bruyne & Eriksen play as far forward as they can get.

roonster09

Scout
Its extraordinary. Its rare to find a player that could be so gifted in multiple areas (even get compared to strikers and wingers just because he cost 90m :lol:) and even play out of his postion but still have something to show for it. Incredible. In any other club he would have been treated like a hero.
Yeah, I don't even mind if people want him out for some reason, it doesnt mean they should downplay the obvious quality.

roonster09

Scout
No it wasn't. He only got moved back when everyone was dropping like flies around February/March. Ole said he needed to do it, to help us gain more control in the midfield by Pogba being on the ball more. But, as we know, it's been downhill ever since.

How can playing deeper give you a better chance to have assists? I'm confused. The further forward you play, the easier it is to have goal contributions. That's obvious. That's why De Bruyne & Eriksen play as far forward as they can get.
That's obvious to anyone but when you have to argue for the sake of it, then you have to come up with something like that.

roonster09

Scout
Funnily on threads, alot of fans quote his £89m that he should deliver more.

He was worth that because:

1) He is a quality player
2) We were in desperate need of a Midfielder
3) He comes with huge commercial benefits

Unfortunately, we as a team we have failed miserably.
Yeah, just because we paid 89 million doesn't mean player should come up with Ronaldo, Messi numbers. he is midfielder, playing as midfielder. We had good set up, shame Ole gave up on that so early.

fergiesarmy1

Yeah, just because we paid 89 million doesn't mean player should come up with Ronaldo, Messi numbers. he is midfielder, playing as midfielder. We had good set up, shame Ole gave up on that so early.
Some would say he was supposed to lift the team not that we need to buy him then spend another couple of hundred to help him perform. By the way he has played with some top players during his stellar stay with us.

roonster09

Scout
Some would say he was supposed to lift the team not that we need to buy him then spend another couple of hundred to help him perform. By the way he has played with some top players during his stellar stay with us.
Yeah keep praying for the mystery player who will lift the team.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Plays out of his natural position for months now yet is routinely slated every week. Because he plays deeper, his natural tendencies are meant to disappear apparently. Madness.

OL29

If a player wants out he isn’t getting my support. Call me fair weather if you like only been supporting us since 86 and been nearly 1000 games.
Would you like a medal? I didn’t call you fair weather but to suggest that people who stick up for Pogba against a barrage of criticism wouldn’t support united after he’s left is pathetic, we’ve had much better players come and go and I doubt anyone jumped ship. Just because you dislike a player doesn’t make you a better fan than others, surely you can see that?

Treble

This was from december to this month. He played only few games in the attacking role and then Ole said he wants more control on the game so he will play Pogba deeper.

Now deeper role gives more chances to have assists? Lets agree to disagree.
I didn't say more assists but that playing deeper doesn't necessarily reduces the probability of contributing assists.

I agree that his stats are excellent. The question is, how much is this related to the fact that he is the star of the team and almost everything goes through him (which boosts his stats but does not necessarily make the team stronger).

Let me give an example. If City make Sterling the star and everything in attack revolves around him, his stats would go through the roof and he would be heralded as a unique player. Many people would think that he is making City competitive and that they would seriously suffer without him. Which would be a bit delusional as City could cope well without him as they did without KDB. The individual stats depend on the way the team is set up. United are arguably set up in a way that seriously boosts Pogba's stats. He is the creator.

Posh Red

I didn't say more assists but that playing deeper doesn't necessarily reduces the probability of contributing assists.

I agree that his stats are excellent. The question is, how much is this related to the fact that he is the star of the team and almost everything goes through him (which boosts his stats but does not necessarily make the team stronger).

Let me give an example. If City make Sterling the star and everything in attack revolves around him, his stats would go through the roof and he would be heralded as a unique player. Many people would think that he is making City competitive and that they would seriously suffer without him. Which would be a bit delusional as City could cope well without him as they did without KDB. The individual stats depend on the way the team is set up. United are arguably set up in a way that seriously boosts Pogba's stats. He is the creator.
How do you explain his excellent stats/performances for France and to a degree Juve then? Seems like you’re looking for a reason to play the stats down to be honest.

Edit: if you are referring to just goal and assist stats then fair enough. I was taking into account holistic stats from the recent World Cup etc

roonster09

Scout

Let me give an example. If City make Sterling the star and everything in attack revolves around him, his stats would go through the roof and he would be heralded as a unique player. Many people would think that he is making City competitive and that they would seriously suffer without him. Which would be a bit delusional as City could cope well without him as they did without KDB. The stats depend the way the team is set up. United are arguably set up in a way that seriously boosts Pogba's stats. He is the creator.
Players with better players will have better stats. Put sterling in our team, make him star of the team playing under Jose and Ole, he won't have stats anywhere near what he is putting now.

United is not set up to get best out of Pogba, if that's the case he wouldn't have played in deeper role.

Playing deeper reduces the probability of scoring goals and getting assists.

fergiesarmy1

Would you like a medal? I didn’t call you fair weather but to suggest that people who stick up for Pogba against a barrage of criticism wouldn’t support united after he’s left is pathetic, we’ve had much better players come and go and I doubt anyone jumped ship. Just because you dislike a player doesn’t make you a better fan than others, surely you can see that?
I have seen fans on here suggest that very thing. halal jalal or whatever that nut job was called did and a few others. It’s like they have been brainwashed. It did seem you were insinuating I was fairweather for not being on the pogba love in.

Treble

How do you explain his excellent stats/performances for France and to a degree Juve then? Seems like you’re looking for a reason to play the stats down to be honest
Pogba had the grand total of 1 goal/assist in Russia 2018 (if wiki is right). 1 in 7 for France vs, roughly, 6 in 7 at United (since Ole).

Treble

Players with better players will have better stats. Put sterling in our team, make him star of the team playing under Jose and Ole, he won't have stats anywhere near what he is putting now.

United is not set up to get best out of Pogba, if that's the case he wouldn't have played in deeper role.

Playing deeper reduces the probability of scoring goals and getting assists.
Sorry, that's simplistic. It's like saying that Coutinho would be much more productive at Barca next to Messi and Suarez than he was at Liverpool next to Mane and Firmino. Football doesn't work like that.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Football doesn't work like that unfortunately. We could buy Messi tomorrow and it still wouldn't make a difference. If that was your original expectations, then you were always going to be disappointed.

What have all the top teams around had in common? A functional setup. When was the last time we could say that about us? We have consistently been a disjointed mess for years now.

Has he heck played with some top players here, that's an absurd comment. The only top players we have had here have been himself & De Gea. Over the hill Matic, out of his depth McTominay & shipped off to China Fellaini have been his midfield partners, only decent midfield partner he has had was Herrera and he hardly played much and is now long gone.

roonster09

Scout
Don’t need to pray I’ve seen it before and he was also french.
By any chance you missed the Scottish man leading the team?

You have to pray for something like that to happen again. With the team we have, there wont be any player who will lift the team by himself. We need better players, better coach, better tactics to take us to next level. Not just 1 player.

roonster09

Scout
Sorry, that's simplistic. It's like saying that Coutinho would be much more productive at Barca next to Messi and Suarez than he was at Liverpool next to Mane and Firmino. Football doesn't work like that.
It's not more simplistic than your example, which is completely wrong to even start with. Team is not built to get best out of Pogba. If that's helpful case he wouldnt be playing in deeper midfield where his weakness is exposed more than in any position.

Mane is the example for your post. His numbers just exploded playing with better players, same with Robertson, Salah and many more players.

You will have examples for both cases.

fergiesarmy1

By any chance you missed the Scottish man leading the team?

You have to pray for something like that to happen again. With the team we have, there wont be any player who will lift the team by himself. We need better players, better coach, better tactics to take us to next level. Not just 1 player.
I remember seriously questioning giving up playing Saturday football that season prior to Cantonas arrival it was grim. He lifted the place even before he came on against City. Obviously a one off but I still expect signing the worlds most expensive midfielder to lift the team around him.

He’s added a few nice handshakes with jlingz I guess.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
How he appears would improve drastically if he could retain the ball when under pressure.

We played some team recently it he must have lost the ball three or four times alone in the first half.

roonster09

Scout
I remember seriously questioning giving up playing Saturday football that season prior to Cantonas arrival it was grim. He lifted the place even before he came on against City. Obviously a one off but I still expect signing the worlds most expensive midfielder to lift the team around him.

He’s added a few nice handshakes with jlingz I guess.
Sure. He added only handshakes.

Have a nice evening.

Classical Mechanic

More like you are disingenuous. Pogba isn't a risk taker now? How can he be slated for playing in a position that is not natural to him for the good of the team? Shouldn't you be slating the person who's responsible for it? I.e. the manager?

Put De Bruyne & Eriksen deep in midfield and see how many times they lose the ball too.

When Ole first came in and we had some semblance of a balanced midfield with Herrera & Matic with Pogba freed up further forward, he tore the league up. That is a fact. He hasn't been able to play that role since. Hardly his fault his output isn't as great anymore due to our shambles of a setup. It's obvious. Look how deep he plays for us now. His heatmap is like a defensive midfield player now compared to the leagues best players who play much, much further forward. Seriously, compare his heatmap to Eriksen, De Bruyne etc, you will be shocked how he is even managing to be near them in goal contributions considering.
The position isn't alien to him but yes you are correct, he isn't very good at it. Lauding him for only losing the ball as much as attacking players in that position is disingenuous. The article is hyping his contribution in that position, specifically his defensive work so trying to paint him as a good defensive player in disingenuous. How much does he lose the ball compared to Jorginho, for example?

You have made it clear in this post and other one, that you don't like the circus, so that's clouding your judgement on the player.

They didn't set random date, they selected Ole's start date as that was when Pogba was moved to more attacking role for few games.

No there is't any bs in that article, they have set the conditions for a reason. And no it wasn't dopey to laud them incredible, its just silly to downplay them.

Even now I don't understand why anyone will downplay CM's goal contribution when it's close enough to league's best attackers. Maybe if you still liked Pogba, your posts would have been more supportive of Pogba.

Whether Pogba can be replaced, whether we will be better team is all irrelevant now and it's for different argument. This is about how good Pogba is for ManUtd and how he is leading is so many stats.
You still haven't answered the crucial question to the validity of this article, is a four game sample a significant one?

The article is layered in so much bullshit you are dopey to laud it as incredible, naive is probably a better word.

I know when and why they've selected the goal and assist contributions from so I don't know why you keep mentioning it. Its selective because he had an incredible run of form, along with the whole team, after Mou left. 14 of the 18 goals and assist contributions they are using came in the 11 games after Mou immediately left. Before that he had 6 goals and assist contributions in the league and he's had 4 since. How do you not define that as a purple patch? You won't find any argument from me that he was incredible for about 8 weeks.

Treble

It's not more simplistic than your example, which is completely wrong to even start with. Team is not built to get best out of Pogba. If that's helpful case he wouldnt be playing in deeper midfield where his weakness is exposed more than in any position.

Mane is the example for your post. His numbers just exploded playing with better players, same with Robertson, Salah and many more players.

You will have examples for both cases.
So, you agree that playing with better players does not guarantee better stats. Which was my original point. There are plenty of examples about players who excelled in good teams, moved to better teams and struggled. Because not everything was about them anymore.

roonster09

Scout
Can’t even make a joke to pogbaistas :lol:
:houllier:

Even if you said that was serious post, I would have said that was more sensible post than the pile of shit you posted in this thread.

There are few who don't like the player but can see what he brings to the team and where he lacks, and then there are posters like you, who just post nonsense and can't even rate a player just because you don't like the player.

fergiesarmy1

So, you agree that playing with better players does not guarantee better stats. Which was my original point. There are plenty of examples about players who excelled in good teams, moved to better teams and struggled. Because not everything was about them anymore.
We’ve had a lot of them who look like deer in the headlights.

Status
Not open for further replies.