6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven

You can't just change the definition of the term 'Rolls Royce' to fit somebody who doesn't suit it. Come up with a different term, by all means.

There are no sweepers in the modern game either. That doesn't make Pogba one.
Can't change the the definition of the term Rolls Royce? Pretty sure that's exactly what someone did when they called that Leeds midfielder a Rolls Royce.

Dante

Average bang
Can't change the the definition of the term Rolls Royce? Pretty sure that's exactly what someone did when they called that Leeds midfielder a Rolls Royce.
That was the coining of the phrase.

What makes Pogba a Rolls Royce rather than a sweeper (given that there are no sweepers in the modern game)?

izzydiggler

He’s got ability and talent in abundance but skill like that very rarely comes off...in the PL, against pressing teams, he’ll lose the ball more often than not and fail to track back to retrieve it. We’ve seen it time and time again, even against the likes of Cardiff/Huddersfield, never mind against the best teams.

NOBODY doubt his ability but thinking things are going to be different next season after 3 years of it (and at the moment, little in the way of help around him) is a fool’s hope at best, delusional at worst.

I hope I’m wrong but I just see the same situation as it has been for the last few years.

Raven

That was the coining of the phrase.

What makes Pogba a Rolls Royce rather than a sweeper (given that there are no sweepers in the modern game)?
The coining of the term came when they invented the brand, Rolls Royce. Or are you saying the Leeds midfielder was literally a car?

Xaviboy

He played a defense spliting pass through to Rashford towards end of 1st half. No 1 else in the team can do it. He has the ability to see that pass once we have movement going forward. Same in the game v Leeds split the defense with a pass through to AWB getting forward and ended up being a goal. I wouldn't mind another player who can do that in the team. Hopefully with more quick energy and players making forward moving it will benefit Pogba more.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We’ve got a season to try our best to convince pogba we’re the right club to stay at.

Things do seem to be moving in the right direction if pre season if anything is to go by, the positivity and optimism is back.

We will obviously have some tougher days ahead but pogba is so key to us. He truly is world class.

he’s been putting in a lot more work defensively also, I don’t know if that’s through the extra fitness work perhaps? he’s certainly trying harder anyway.

Long may it continue as were so much better when he’s on form.

Strats

He's our engine.

Hope we can sort his contract out. He's not easily replaced.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...d-england-defender-football-age-a8461156.html

Rio got his 'Roll Royce' cognomen during his Leeds days. It stuck with him throughout his career.

But it was first used about another former Leeds player. It basically means somebody who is top class at everything (class being the operative word, since Rollers are supposedly classy).

Pogba is certainly top class at certain things. But one piece of skill doesn't make him a Rolls Royce of a player.
I think you made up that definition. It seems like it just means a classy player.

From the link you posted:
“Seeing Paul eat up the turf with his long, elegant strides,” mused Revie, “is like watching a Rolls slip into overdrive and glide gently away.”
Same can be applied to Pogba.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I still have hope of him signing a new deal this season.

The attitude our fans have held towards him on this board really annoys me though. No player is perfect, but people seem far more interested in moaning about and focusing on the flaws of our best player than on those of players who have far more limitations. It’s like some sort of syndrome of not feeling you are deserving of good things. Rather spend more time criticising the top class and saying ‘let’s get behind’ the limited, because we feel ‘safer’ or whatever with those ones. Some have long worked themselves into such a fever where it is a greater desire for them to see our better players go than the limited.

If Pogba’s ‘negative’ impact on the team outweighs his positive - then the whole squad may as well pack up and go.

People would rather focus on, and summarise him as a player as ‘he dwells on the ball’ or whatever. How about all the good he does? Who else can do it here? Him losing possession angers people to the point where some want him out. They would rather focus on that than the multitude of chances he creates, for example. Everyone else loses possession too. And are nowhere near as good as Pogba - so he should be the last one we want to leave.

Dante

Average bang
I think you made up that definition. It seems like it just means a classy player.

From the link you posted:

Same can be applied to Pogba.
And every other tall human being with the ability of locomotion.

The phrase means more than that. Read the rest.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
And every other tall human being with the ability of locomotion.

The phrase means more than that. Read the rest.
I read the entire thing before, just skimmed it again, and it's not saying the phrase means more than that. You probably based it on this part:

However, he was a player without portfolio rather than a bit-part player. Revie branded him “the Rolls Royce of footballers”. John Giles, a Leeds team-mate, called him “seven top-class players in one”.
But it's just saying he was a rare, special player, not just a utility player. Nobody would call James Milner the Rolls Royce of footballers and he's a utility player. Regardless, the metaphor of a Rolls Royce has always indicated luxury/class or something special.

Look at the second definition.

MDFC Manager

Our best by a margin. If we sell him, I hope it's for a world record fee, because he's irreplaceable otherwise.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Our best by a margin. If we sell him, I hope it's for a world record fee, because he's irreplaceable otherwise.
Football too often looks too easy for him. To me, it looks as if that ease often leads to playfulness/boredom and then loss of possession. Opponents can’t get near him if he wants. It’s so frustrating as we need to be using these assets as a key ingredient in a great side. Hopefully we can this year, and I’ve said, but I hope we can get him on a new deal this season. Pay him £500k a week if we must.

twitter thread suggester
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...d-england-defender-football-age-a8461156.html

Rio got his 'Roll Royce' cognomen during his Leeds days. It stuck with him throughout his career.

But it was first used about another former Leeds player. It basically means somebody who is top class at everything (class being the operative word, since Rollers are supposedly classy).

Pogba is certainly top class at certain things. But one piece of skill doesn't make him a Rolls Royce of a player.
:lol:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yea, Dante has had a mare here with this whole Rolls Royce thing.

A Rolls Royce is the furthest car from an ‘all-rounder’ anyway!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

"The Land Cruiser" of football players isn't as enticing.

In Rainbows

If we can get top 4 this season, and then get Sancho, I'm sure Pogba will stay. We still need a dm though.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If we can get top 4 this season, and then get Sancho, I'm sure Pogba will stay. We still need a dm though.
Think we need to do a bit more than just get top 4. He can play for any team in the world. We’d need to show real signs of competing. I think if we can not only get the top 4, but our young players take big strides to really show we are on the verge of achieving a great team that can fight for everything, then he may stay. Scraping top 4 unimpressively may not be enough.

In Rainbows

Think we need to do a bit more than just get top 4. He can play for any team in the world. We’d need to show real signs of competing. I think if we can not only get the top 4, but our young players take big strides to really show we are on the verge of achieving a great team that can fight for everything, then he may stay. Scraping top 4 unimpressively may not be enough.
Yes, but my thinking is that buying Sancho can convince him to believe in the project. So it's not Top 4 to convince him. It's top 4 + Sancho signing. Of course that doesn't mean we just stop at Sancho, just that he'll be the big signing to push us further.

Bwuk

Best player in the side by some distance.

Still find it mental that people don’t rate him. The fact we are looking to play with pace and on the counter this season makes me think this will be his best season yet.

Sylar

"strong powerful and athletic" ...

Anyway I'm just thinking no other player in our midfield can take on men and advance the ball like he can. It's an issue in itself and if we got one or two more who could it would benefit the club and pogba both

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
R
Why? We're talking about the term 'Rolls Royce' as defined about a midfielder playing for Leeds in the sixties and seventies.
Rio wasn’t a complete defender. He wasn’t great in the air.

He was a total Rolls Royce of a player though.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
If Pogba was a rapper he would be rolls da five nine with his technical abilities.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Still find it mental that people don’t rate him. The fact we are looking to play with pace and on the counter this season makes me think this will be his best season yet.
We could really do with the margin not being so big too. At Liverpool, for example, you could split hairs between Mane, Salah and Van Dijk. At City you could say Kevin, Sterling, Silva or Aguero. With us, it’s Pogba way out, and no real rivals.

I’m hoping AWB can join that bracket of elite player, and hopefully Rashford this season too, at the very least.

Bwuk

We could really do with the margin not being so big too. At Liverpool, for example, you could split hairs between Mane, Salah and Van Dijk. At City you could say Kevin, Sterling, Silva or Aguero. With us, it’s Pogba way out, and no real rivals.

I’m hoping AWB can join that bracket of elite player, and hopefully Rashford this season too, at the very least.
Agreed. If we had another world class player Pogba would look even better having more space etc.

Steerpike

What many of us won't do is overrate him. He clearly has skill and the physical attributes to be a very good player, but he has weaknesses in his game which are often exposed in the EPL (takes too much time on the ball, doesn't have a clear picture of what's around him before he receives the ball, drifts in and out of games, ......).

Perhaps, if he decided to commit to playing for us, he would eventually address some of those issues and become a top Premier League player. If not, I daresay he could go back to playing in a slower paced league like Italy or Spain, presumably for one of the dominant teams, and look great.

If we are looking to play on the front foot more, pressing and winning the ball back higher up, and getting more men forward, that may benefit him. I'm not sure that a fast counter attacking style would play to his strengths though.

His performances in the pre-season friendlies have been encouraging, but he's been allowed to have time on the ball - we haven't played any team which has really looked (or been able) to press us yet. It will be interesting to see how the game against Spurs goes as I'd expect that to be more typical of a Premier League match.

Dante

Average bang

No, I didn't.

It's literally the wrong defintion of what he is.

Just because you like the term 'Rolls Royce', doen't mean you can use it willy nilly.

What stops Rashford from being a Rolls Royce of a player? Or Fellaini?

Last edited:

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
If by 'Rolls Royce of a player' you simply mean 'good', I can see why so many idiots are confused.
If you think Rio was only a good player you’re entitled to your opinion. I thought he was a rolls Royce. Smooth, effortless, sophisticated. Cultured

Status
Not open for further replies.