6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RuudTom83

I tend to see Pogba as a world class supporting player, he is never the main man in the team like a Ronnie or Messi.

But get some talented players around Paul and he just makes everything look easy. But put all the pressure on his shoulders and expect him to win every match only brings the worse out of him.

I love the way he is playing at the moment, everything is going well and I hope it continues until the end.

criticalanalysis

That's not my point. He doesn't need to score, there are other players doing that just fine. He is playing well in this role. They'd be a nice bonus but not the most important thing
Pogba's never been a goal scorer in his career. Just because he's scored some worldlies doesn't means he's a goal machine. His influence as a midfielder is much greater and effective instead of being a scorer. He's a provider from anywhere on the pitch and that is his match winning quality that has very few contemporaries in the world.
I think what others are saying and I agree with is that, even with him doing his job as a creative/tempo midfielder, the fact our attackers are getting enough chances and goals, we would still like to see Pogba score (be more of an offensive threat from centre) because he more than has the ability.

I've been very impressed with his discipline and playing to the role but would love for him to take a few pot shots from outside the box. We are guilty of over playing a little bit in and around the box at times.

It's not a criticism, just would love to see some Pogbooooms. Obviously it's still early days and we're just being greedy.

eire-red

His role has changed, like someone said above, this more disciplined approach is exactly how Mourinho wanted him to play.

The difference is we're now actually playing free flowing, attacking football, and to the casual observer you might miss Pogba's influence, but to the rest of us we see Pogba loading the bullets, allowing Bruno to flourish while Pogba is finding him with incisive passes between the lines.

He has all the attributes to be that excellent DLP, and I genuinely don't think there's a player in world football that can match his skillset. Elegance, intelligence, creativity, strength and power. He has all the attributes.

Get him signed and on board, he's indispensable.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Seems more settled, looks much happier, but I think we won't see our team gell until sometime next season. There are instances where we have two players in the same position, but when the team have put 20 to 30 performances together, that position taking will become more natural. We've only played about 3 full games with Bruno and Pogba together, and when Rashford gets fully functional again, we will have some attack. Defensively we struggled a little, but it was good to see that for Bournemouth's goal, Pogba was in the box guite close to Lindelof, although he couldn't affect the outcome. Matic, the DM was nowhere, personally would have played Fred instead of Matic today.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I think what others are saying and I agree with is that, even with him doing his job as a creative/tempo midfielder, the fact our attackers are getting enough chances and goals, we would still like to see Pogba score (be more of an offensive threat from centre) because he more than has the ability.

I've been very impressed with his discipline and playing to the role but would love for him to take a few pot shots from outside the box. We are guilty of over playing a little bit in and around the box at times.

It's not a criticism, just would love to see some Pogbooooms. Obviously it's still early days and we're just being greedy.
Of course we would all like him to score just like I would with many of our other players. He just doesn't need to do that anymore, he doesn't have that pressure anymore which frees him up to play at his best

Rolaholic

I tend to see Pogba as a world class supporting player, he is never the main man in the team like a Ronnie or Messi.

But get some talented players around Paul and he just makes everything look easy. But put all the pressure on his shoulders and expect him to win every match only brings the worse out of him.

I love the way he is playing at the moment, everything is going well and I hope it continues until the end.
You could count on a single hand, maybe 2, the amount of players in the entire history of the game that have been like that :lol:

Having a genuinely world class midfielder isn't a bad thing to have when you're trying to build a winner though

dirkey

Making me eat my words, and I am delighted to do so. He's keeping things simple, and he's been fabulous since he's come back. Long may it continue.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
8 goals across how many competitions and appearances playing as an advanced midfielder in a midfield 3 is good return but not amazing or anything. Then him scoring 13 for United, how many came from open play? He was the penalty taker for many of those matches.

He doesn't have to score more goals from midfield because he's still a match winner without the goals. It's a special class quality.

Xavi and Inestia aren't renowned for their goal scoring. Nobody questions their output for good reason...it wasn't their ambition or need to score 10 plus goals from midfield every year. Didn't need to or have to. They just played their game and were world class because of it.
Those were league only stats.

8 goals in 24 league games (+3 assists)
8 goals in 35 League games (+ 12 assists)
13 goals in 35 games (+9 assists)

PP6 does it all, mate. He doesn’t need to now, but he certainly can.

TrustInOle

Guy just oozes class, everything he does, he makes look so comfortable, and his vision is amazing. Really hope he commits, could be building United's next dynasty right now.

Alemar

It was unfortunate he didn’t score a FK today, Ramsdale had a good match despite 5 conceded. But all in all another strong performance by Pogba

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
His role has changed, like someone said above, this more disciplined approach is exactly how Mourinho wanted him to play.

The difference is we're now actually playing free flowing, attacking football, and to the casual observer you might miss Pogba's influence, but to the rest of us we see Pogba loading the bullets, allowing Bruno to flourish while Pogba is finding him with incisive passes between the lines.

He has all the attributes to be that excellent DLP, and I genuinely don't think there's a player in world football that can match his skillset. Elegance, intelligence, creativity, strength and power. He has all the attributes.

Get him signed and on board, he's indispensable.
I don't think his role changed, it's the role that he played during the 2016/2017 season, the role he was criticized for because people wanted more since he was the most expensive player in the world. They wanted him to do what he is currently doing and also do what Bruno is currently doing. The difference isn't Pogba, it's that Bruno is doing his job properly and at a high level unlike the previous players we had behind the striker.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
No longer can teams put 2-3 players on him and force mistakes, with the current squad and system, Pogba is finally free to do what he does best.

The best part is that I think he is about to enter his peak years and if we continue our progression, the team can become unstoppable. :drool:
This is a very good point. The team balance is really good right now, and it really helps Pogba to play his natural game. He has not managed to be a leader and someone that carries the team up from the mud, despite his qualities but you can tell he prefers this balance around him. He gets a lot more space to work his magic from deep, and he can pick and choose his moments to be brave and creative. With everyone on our team, including Pogba working so hard for each-other it seems that we are able to create a statistical advantage in many duels, simply by overloading the important areas. Pogba was nothing but immense in his role for the team against Bournemouth. Recirculated possession when he was supposed to, won the ball in the right positions, made the right decisions creatively in the right positions, and worked his socks of both sides of the pitch. He is class with the ball at his feet, so if he can structure out some stuff and be as balanced as this, be as consistent and reliable throughout the whole game. Hands down best midfielder in the world, and a guy for the history books.

Sign the damn contract.

Steven-UK

His football today was basically Paul Scholes at his best with strong physicality and great at dribbling
Don't be ridiculous.

Pogba has done nothing wrong since football returned, but seriously, Bruno Fernandes makes Pogba look distinctly average.

Whatever Pogba is said to be worth, Fernandes is worth far more.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Don't be ridiculous.

Pogba has done nothing wrong since football returned, but seriously, Bruno Fernandes makes Pogba look distinctly average.

That's nonsense, Bruno is great at what he does, productive and decisive player. Pure madness to compare the two like that. Bruno is even better with Pogba in the team

Raven

Don't be ridiculous.

Nahh the reason both look so good is because they compliment each other so well. Pogba is just as important to our current form as Bruno.

Rolaholic

It's nuts how some people can't seem to praise a player without denigrating a teammate in the same sentence, Pogba and Bruno both compliment each other perfectly simple as is.

No need to get into pissing contests over who makes who look average when they've both shown their individual quality without the other plenty of times, as recently as Norwich last week when Bruno had his worst game for us yet and Pogba was influential in us scoring the late winner after coming on in the little time he played.

It really shouldn't be a zero sum game, we're lucky to have arguably the best MF pairing in the league at the moment. We should be happy with that

Steven-UK

Nahh the reason both look so good is because they compliment each other so well. Pogba is just as important to our current form as Bruno.
I just think Bruno has changed the whole dynamic of the team in a way Pogba never has. But yes, let's keep it going; it's a shame this is not the start of the season, as there is some real confidence there now (defense aside).

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Yeah, its blatantly clear now that he is the ultimate 'luxury' player. I don't mind that, but what is disproportionate is the adulation his fanboys give him, which drives up his status, expectation and fee.

In reality he offers the same to the team as Matic, AWB etc: he is a solid team player, but not the iconic talisman that Bruno is and Rashford or Greenwood can become.

In that context, it was a good performance from him today as a proper no 8: did very well defensively, allowed Bruno to do his creative work, while contributing offensively when he could. We desperately need such a player, and Pogba could be that man, so long as his ego allows that he is not the main man.

Walters_19_MuFc

Not sure why people have to compare Bruno and Pogba. Just be glad they're both playing for United.

Regards today's performance, another steady game for Pogba. His long-range passing and passing between the lines is ridiculous. Desperately wanted to see him on the scoresheet today, but wasn't meant to be.

JPRouve

Scout
I just think Bruno has changed the whole dynamic of the team in a way Pogba never has. But yes, let's keep it going; it's a shame this is not the start of the season, as there is some real confidence there now (defense aside).
He has but this has nothing to do with Pogba unless if you think that Pogba should be expected to play two roles at the same time. Bruno was a massive upgrade on Lingard an attacking midfielder that hasn't registered an assist in the league since January 2019 and hasn't scored since December 2018, that's without even mentioning the fact that he is totally devoid of creativity or playmaking abilities. Bruno has more goals and assists in 14 games than Lingard registered in the last two seasons combined.

Walters_19_MuFc

Yeah, its blatantly clear now that he is the ultimate 'luxury' player. I don't mind that, but what is disproportionate is the adulation his fanboys give him, which drives up his status, expectation and fee.

In reality he offers the same to the team as Matic, AWB etc: he is a solid team player, but not the iconic talisman that Bruno is and Rashford or Greenwood can become.

In that context, it was a good performance from him today as a proper no 8: did very well defensively, allowed Bruno to do his creative work, while contributing offensively when he could. We desperately need such a player, and Pogba could be that man, so long as his ego allows that he is not the main man.
Wouldn't that be down to position rather than the type of player he is?

I.e. Scholes was the supporting player with Rooney, Ronaldo, etc as the 'talisman' type.

Paul_Scholes18

I miss him scoring.. or at least attempting to score and nearly did many times per game.
Same here. I think he can try harder to score and might do it when we need him too.
The same way Bruno tries with killer pass and goal. Pogba can do it too.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Wouldn't that be down to position rather than the type of player he is?

I.e. Scholes was the supporting player with Rooney, Ronaldo, etc as the 'talisman' type.
By talisman, I mean a player whose charisma and consistency can genuinely change games. Cantona, Keane, Rooney and Ronaldo have had that ability in years gone by. Pogba has let us down too many times to be afforded such responsibility.

I've long been a critic of Pogba: because of the obscene transfer fee, because I kept getting told how world class he was; so I had equivalent expectations. In reality, he was never that good.

I saw in world cup that he played a supportive role in helping France become World Champions, and presumably that's also what he did at Juventus. And I can now see him in that role at Manchester United. A great team player, but not the main man. And that is fine, albeit we paid way too much for such a player.

Rolaholic

He quite literally has done and been willing to do that throughout his career with Juventus and France but I'm not surprised you'd overlook that to continue a false narrative given I remember well you being more than happy to sell him under Jose and placed all the blame on everyone but him when he got rightfully sacked :lol:

He's been able to do what he's been doing lately throughout his career, the actual egomaniac at the club was binned over year ago and the entire club, players and fans, have benefited from it greatly

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He seems to be revelling in playing the support role to Bruno. He is focussed on playing the simple ball and is regularly the fulcrum of the attack, not the one opening the defence, just keeping the attack going. I hope it lasts, will he remain content with a supporting role? If he stays OK with it, then what a midfield we have.

Dante

Average bang
He's always been at his best when he's the second best midfielder and the third or fourth best outfield player in the team.

Nobody, not even Souness, has ever doubted his talent. The issue has always been his application.

Because he's a natural leader, his poor performance/attitude can be infectious in a bad way.

Ole has played a blinder by bringing Bruno in. It lets us get all the good things that Pogba can offer with none of the bad.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He's always been at his best when he's the second best midfielder and the third or fourth best outfield player in the team.

Nobody, not even Souness, has ever doubted his talent. The issue has always been his application.

Because he's a natural leader, his poor performance/attitude can be infectious in a bad way.

Ole has played a blinder by bringing Bruno in. It lets us get all the good things that Pogba can offer with none of the bad.
Or now that we have other good players he can focus on his role and not be forced to do the role of 2/3 players by himself

JPRouve

Scout
He seems to be revelling in playing the support role to Bruno. He is focussed on playing the simple ball and is regularly the fulcrum of the attack, not the one opening the defence, just keeping the attack going. I hope it lasts, will he remain content with a supporting role? If he stays OK with it, then what a midfield we have.
That's what he has been doing for the better part of his career with two exceptions United under Mourinho and a short period of time with France when we tried to transition from Ribery to something else. I don't know why people think that he wants or seeks that.

Dante

Average bang
Or now that we have other good players he can focus on his role and not be forced to do the role of 2/3 players by himself
The difference is that Bruno raises the level of everyone around him by demanding their best.

When Pogba lets his head drop, he inadvertently leads by example and everyone else in the team drops a level as well.

The main one of Pogba's roles that needed to be addressed was his natural leadership. In isolation, a big personality is great. And inconsistency is perfectly human. But put them together in a team without other leaders, and it's a recipe for disaster.

Zlatan helped to temper that a little bit. Bruno and Maguire are doing it now.

The fact that Pogba is a poor leader is not some terrible crime. It's just a personality trait that needed to be managed.

Just like a manager in an office or a teacher in a classroom, Ole's done a great job of getting the best out of him by toning down the accidental negative influence he has.

Raven

This is madness. Who do you think are our top 3 players?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The difference is that Bruno raises the level of everyone around him by demanding their best.

When Pogba lets his head drop, he inadvertently leads by example and everyone else in the team drops a level as well.

The main one of Pogba's roles that needed to be addressed was his natural leadership. In isolation, a big personality is great. And inconsistency is perfectly human. But put them together in a team without other leaders, and it's a recipe for disaster.

Zlatan helped to temper that a little bit. Bruno and Maguire are doing it now.

The fact that Pogba is a poor leader is not some terrible crime. It's just a personality trait that needed to be managed. Just like a manager in an office or a teacher in a classroom, Ole's done a great job of getting the best out of him.
Reaching. The difference is we have more creators on the pitch now

rotherham_red

Why do Utd fans do this? We have two absolutely amazing and fantastic players and there are already rival camps for both players. We did it with Rashford and Martial, and now it's Pogba and Bruno. Does it actually fecking matter which one is best, when they both play for us and more importantly, neither's presence is doing the other any harm whatsoever??

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It's ridiculous to deem Pogba's job as "doing simple things, thus doesn't warrant his fee". First, he's just coming back from long term injury, thus he's still not at his best. Second, when he came in as a subs against Spurs, he totally changed the dynamic of United game. And now in the last two League games, we've started goalscoring spree with him as starter.

For me, he's second after Bruno who make this dominance is possible. With these two on the field, I just have this believe we'd put beautiful performance. Bruno brought in the much needed power to win games, but adding Pogba brought in the dominance. This kind of player isn't easily available; especially with Progba's achievement and age.

Mainoldo

Making me eat my words, and I am delighted to do so. He's keeping things simple, and he's been fabulous since he's come back. Long may it continue.
Good guy. His game hasn’t changed though. Now he just had Bruno.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Jesus....some people must be about to burst with hatred, they’ve been desperate to criticise Pogba, weird that they’ve come out tonight. Perhaps their hatred just can’t take it anymore.

JPRouve

Scout
Why do Utd fans do this? We have two absolutely amazing and fantastic players and there are already rival camps for both players. We did it with Rashford and Martial, and now it's Pogba and Bruno. Does it actually fecking matter which one is best, when they both play for us and more importantly, neither's presence is doing the other any harm whatsoever??
It's just weird. We have two players that thrive in different roles and instead of supporting them in their different roles, some want to have a go.

rotherham_red

It's just weird. We have two players that thrive in different roles and instead of supporting them in their different roles, some want to have a go.
It's exactly that: weird. Some of these lot really need to grow up.

You can even see it in Pogba's face, he's absolutely loving having Bruno there with him, and there isn't a hint of jealousy with him. Likewise, Bruno is enjoying having one of the most complete midfielders in world football supplying him with the ball. Both are spurring each other on to better and better performances. Likewise Martial and Rashford. None of them care who scores, as long as the team is doing well.

Add Mason (and hopefully Sancho) to the mix and it's got the potential to be otherworldly!

Status
Not open for further replies.