Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yeah, I agree. I hope if he is set on leaving, the club doesn't create another drama on it and just let him go. But the way @RUCK4444 is talking, it's as if Pogba has been world class since getting back to full fitness after the disastrous start of the season or as if him coming back now suddenly makes us favourites in the EL or FA cup.

Let's see the guy perform and judge him then, he was supposed to be back for Chelsea, yet hasn't played a single minute since and is still uncertain if he starts straight away or if he will need 2-3 games to get back into match rhythm. Like you said, the whole "point scoring" thing is ridiculous, we all should want what is best for the team and as far as I'm concerned, there would be nothing better than to see Pogba perform to world class levels that put him as one of the best CMs in the world. But he needs to actually do that on the pitch as these hypotheticals mean nothing in reality.
Yes, I get the sentiment on what you’re saying. And World Class is a highly subjective term, especially for positions that are not judged in goals and assists, but I think he can argue that he’s played very well since gaining full fitness this season, and makes the team better. Whether or not that makes us favourite for anything isn’t the point, that isn’t his duty. The fact that he makes us better improves our chances, which is all any one player can do.

I wasn’t aware he was supposed to be back for Chelsea either, I’ve read that nowhere. Ole has been consistently asked, and has said ‘not ready yet’ or ‘before international break’.

And speaking of his form this season isn’t really a ‘hypothetical’ - it has actually happened, and is giving credit for actually playing well. It was a ‘playing well’ that we could have used over the last couple of months.

The Original

Do you feel like he should stay then? Don't tell me you're fooled into thinking he actually wants to be here too?

I have always said he's a talent but there's clearly so much more to being a top player than talent. Pogba doesn't seem to want to put the work into his game and help this club. It definitely feels like Paul Pogba is his only concern.
You need to understand that your many different "feelings" are not enough to build a case so strong that anyone who disagrees with you is being "fooled".

You can have your feelings but when it comes to a shred of evidence to back up these feelings of which you have so many, what do you have?

An abundance of negative feelings towards one particular person without any objective proof suggests an agenda.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He isn't the first and won't be the last player that ups their game for a new contract/a transfer to a better team.
He also wouldn’t be the first player to have a good game of football. He is amongst the first players who needs to have this ulterior motive questioning every time he does though.

I’ve asked this before and it seems a fitting question again - if Pogba isn’t playing well when he returns, will you conclude that to be because he no longer wishes to leave? Because if every good run of form is tempered with some conspiracy theory, then surely, him playing badly means he’s given up on trying to impress his suitors.

Or more likely, of he plays well, he plays well, and if he doesn’t, he doesn’t. He’s a football player, and has played well a lot more times that he’s played badly in the 5 years he’s been here anyway, which makes this narrative highly exaggerated in the first place.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
Feck me, some of the hate this guy gets is despicable. Hope Paul is the matchwinner tomorrow and can shut these clowns up. Not criticizing everyone that thinks he's been underperforming or that he should be sold, just the ones that think there's some ulterior motive behind him playing well.

He isn't the first and won't be the last player that ups their game for a new contract/a transfer to a better team.
Feck me.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
You need to understand that your many different "feelings" are not enough to build a case so strong that anyone who disagrees with you is being "fooled".

You can have your feelings but when it comes to a shred of evidence to back up these feelings of which you have so many, what do you have?

An abundance of negative feelings towards one particular person without any objective proof suggests an agenda.
He's tried to leave for 2 years and people still jump to his defence. Him and his agent has disrespected the club and fans way too many times for me. And it's not even like when he's played he's been amazing. He's been distinctly average in a United shirt throughout.

A lot of people gave him the benefit of the doubt prior to Bruno joining however Bruno has proved that they were all excuses. Had he applied himself he could have done so much more for us. But he's not done it.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
4 goals and 2 assists in 28 apps this season says it all. Scott Mctomminay even has better stats than that and he doesn't have half the ability Pogba does.

Always same excuses made for him. He doesn't give two craps about this club. Giving him a bumper new deal will be a huge mistake as he won't ever reach the heights he should do. If he hasn't in over 4 years then he never will.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Do you feel like he should stay then? Don't tell me you're fooled into thinking he actually wants to be here too?

I have always said he's a talent but there's clearly so much more to being a top player than talent. Pogba doesn't seem to want to put the work into his game and help this club. It definitely feels like Paul Pogba is his only concern.
Of course I feel like he should stay. He’s a good midfielder, who I have no negative agenda - so looking at it from a purely footballing perspective, why on earth would I want a midfielder who is better than the others to move?

If he himself wants to move, then I have no issue with him going. But there’s no need to overspeculate there. If he really wants to leave, then he will!

And I disagree with your assessment that he ‘doesn’t seem to want to put the work in to help this club’. I understand how it would feel like that to a person who is intent on finding am ‘explanation’ for whenever he is playing well. Perhaps he is doing just that? Putting in the work to try and help the club?

Pogba is a United player now, and only the most ridiculous of theorists would believe that he doesn’t want to win with United while he is at United. Like, why wouldn’t he? Do you think he sees United as some sort of kindnappers who have ruined his life or something? Do you think he’ll only want to win trophies if he’s wearing a Madrid shirt? There are some strange theories of footballers. The other day people were up in arms because Dalot wanted to win while playing for Milan. He’s only on loan, but I’m sure he wants to win Serie A and the Europa League this year. If he joins Sevilla in the summer, he’ll want to win La Liga. If Pogba joins Real, he’ll want to win La Liga, and while he’s been at United - he’s obviously cared about winning titles and us being successful. Even if you have summised that this is only for his own benefit, but why wouldn’t he want to make an effort to win? He likes winning!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
4 goals and 2 assists in 28 apps this season says it all. Scott Mctomminay even has better stats than that and he doesn't have half the ability Pogba does.

Always same excuses made for him. He doesn't give two craps about this club. Giving him a bumper new deal will be a huge mistake as he won't ever reach the heights he should do. If he hasn't in over 4 years then he never will.
Brighton
Leipzig
West Ham
Fulham
Burnley

5 goals. So what’s your point here anyway? Pogba hasn’t scored enough goals this season, is that the basis of your current complaint? There are no excuses. There is no need to make one. Your arguments are ridiculous or hypothetical at best.

DoomSlayer

Yes, I get the sentiment on what you’re saying. And World Class is a highly subjective term, especially for positions that are not judged in goals and assists, but I think he can argue that he’s played very well since gaining full fitness this season, and makes the team better. Whether or not that makes us favourite for anything isn’t the point, that isn’t his duty. The fact that he makes us better improves our chances, which is all any one player can do.

I wasn’t aware he was supposed to be back for Chelsea either, I’ve read that nowhere. Ole has been consistently asked, and has said ‘not ready yet’ or ‘before international break’.

And speaking of his form this season isn’t really a ‘hypothetical’ - it has actually happened, and is giving credit for actually playing well. It was a ‘playing well’ that we could have used over the last couple of months.
Pogba did play well, but that happened after a disastrous start of the season. To be perfectly honest, I expect him to be a world class player so maybe it's my fault for overrating his abilities.

I remember when he got injured and Ole spoke about it soon after, he mentioned that "hopefully" Pogba will be back for Chelsea, but it could be just my imagination, might have to fact check this one. :lol:
He also wouldn’t be the first player to have a good game of football. He is amongst the first players who needs to have this ulterior motive questioning every time he does though.

I’ve asked this before and it seems a fitting question again - if Pogba isn’t playing well when he returns, will you conclude that to be because he no longer wishes to leave? Because if every good run of form is tempered with some conspiracy theory, then surely, him playing badly means he’s given up on trying to impress his suitors.

Or more likely, of he plays well, he plays well, and if he doesn’t, he doesn’t. He’s a football player, and has played well a lot more times that he’s played badly in the 5 years he’s been here anyway, which makes this narrative highly exaggerated in the first place.
My comment wasn't necessarily a criticism or making it out as if Pogba has some sort of sinister ulterior motives. It's just an observation and if I can elaborate on that, I believe it has to do with concentration and subconsciously putting more effort in due to new motivations.

I'm definitely considered as a Mourinho "hater", but the one thing on which I agreed with him is Pogba's main problem being his concentration levels. That's why Mourinho said he is more suited to a World Cup-style of tournament, where you can set certain short term goals with a very high reward.

George the Cat

Feck me, some of the hate this guy gets is despicable. Hope Paul is the matchwinner tomorrow and can shut these clowns up. Not criticizing everyone that thinks he's been underperforming or that he should be sold, just the ones that think there's some ulterior motive behind him playing well.
Which there is, an ulterior motive that is. He has underperformed the vast majority of his time here, but hey let’s not criticise him eh. His attitude has stunk , and then it’s looks like he‘s off and surprise surprise he starts playing well again.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Of course I feel like he should stay. He’s a good midfielder, who I have no negative agenda - so looking at it from a purely footballing perspective, why on earth would I want a midfielder who is better than the others to move?

If he himself wants to move, then I have no issue with him going. But there’s no need to overspeculate there. If he really wants to leave, then he will!

And I disagree with your assessment that he ‘doesn’t seem to want to put the work in to help this club’. I understand how it would feel like that to a person who is intent on finding am ‘explanation’ for whenever he is playing well. Perhaps he is doing just that? Putting in the work to try and help the club?

Pogba is a United player now, and only the most ridiculous of theorists would believe that he doesn’t want to win with United while he is at United. Like, why wouldn’t he? Do you think he sees United as some sort of kindnappers who have ruined his life or something? Do you think he’ll only want to win trophies if he’s wearing a Madrid shirt? There are some strange theories of footballers. The other day people were up in arms because Dalot wanted to win while playing for Milan. He’s only on loan, but I’m sure he wants to win Serie A and the Europa League this year. If he joins Sevilla in the summer, he’ll want to win La Liga. If Pogba joins Real, he’ll want to win La Liga, and while he’s been at United - he’s obviously cared about winning titles and us being successful. Even if you have summised that this is only for his own benefit, but why wouldn’t he want to make an effort to win? He likes winning!
So you're happy with his output over the last 4 years? You feel he's been a successful signing?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Brighton
Leipzig
West Ham
Fulham
Burnley

5 goals. So what’s your point here anyway? Pogba hasn’t scored enough goals this season, is that the basis of your current complaint? There are no excuses. There is no need to make one. Your arguments are ridiculous or hypothetical at best.
What about last season? In over 20 apps how many goals did he get?

Answer 1. In 22 apps he scored just 1.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
Which there is, an ulterior motive that is. He has underperformed the vast majority of his time here, but hey let’s not criticise him eh. His attitude has stunk , and then it’s looks like he‘s off and surprise surprise he starts playing well again.
Don't worry, I get it. When he has multiple years left on his contract, while he's on the pitch, his mind is off wandering about the world domination he's planning with Lex Luthor, Pinky & The Brain and Mirror Master. Now that his contract is almost up, he has to focus on passing with a little more finesse and scoring the odd goal. Pretty basic stuff, really.

AgentSmith

I love Pogba as a player and think it’s obvious how much the team has missed him over the past few months. We’d be a lot closer to City if he’d been fit.

But there’s some serious revisionism going on in terms of his relationship with the club. The night before our biggest game of the season, against Leipzig, his agent chooses to publicly state ‘Paul is unhappy at United’.

Raoila becomes a very easy target for frustration (almost as if that’s his purpose) when it’s him who’s the one claiming Pogba wants to leave. But I think people are wilfully blind if they think Raiola is some loose cannon operating by his own rule book and saying whatever he likes. He performs the way his client wants.

Haaland is a good example of this. He’s potentially on the cusp of the biggest transfer since Neymar with every major club in Europe interested in securing his services. Has there been a peep from him or Raiola? Barely. Almost as if Raiola operates in line with the wishes of the person who’s paying him.

I like Pogba and think he’s always been professional and dedicated but if people raise concerns about his commitment to the club over the past 12 months there’s definitely some justification for that.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
I love Pogba as a player and think it’s obvious how much the team has missed him over the past few months. We’d be a lot closer to City if he’d been fit.

But there’s some serious revisionism going on in terms of his relationship with the club. The night before our biggest game of the season, against Leipzig, his agent chooses to publicly state ‘Paul is unhappy at United’.

Raoila becomes a very easy target for frustration (almost as if that’s his purpose) when it’s him who’s the one claiming Pogba wants to leave. But I think people are wilfully blind if they think Raiola is some loose cannon operating by his own rule book and saying whatever he likes. He performs the way his client wants.

Haaland is a good example of this. He’s potentially on the cusp of the biggest transfer since Neymar with every major club in Europe interested in securing his services. Has there been a peep from him or Raiola? Nada. Almost as if Raiola operates in line with the wishes of the person who’s paying him.

I like Pogba and think he’s always been professional and dedicated but if people raise concerns about his commitment to the club over the past 12 months there’s definitely justification for that.
It reflects poorly on Pogba that he chose that cnut as his agent. Sadly, the fat man has too many class players in his pockets. I don't think cutting ties with Raiola is realistic.

laughtersassassin

People always moving the goalposts with Pogba Last year when he was injured they all said he is faking.

And this year he has been one of our best players when fit and now that's because he is leaving too. Pick one.

Our fans treated him like shit tbh. Blame on all sides.

Club ambition was poor. Pogbas agent ran his mouth. Our fans treated him undeservedly like shit. Pretended he was The problem when we always had a million worse problems.

The year he got boo'd in Old Trafford when he was our top scorer top assister top everything was a bloody disgrace.

Remember with him we where going toe to toe with City. Sure we still would have fell off but most likely not half as much. If he goes I'll thank him for his time here. Been one of my favourite players to watch when we have been awful.

A replacement will be needed. And a very good one. People credit Fred like made but he has never performed at Pogba levels. A 7/10 for him is a 5/10 for Pogba. His passing will be massive missed as we have already seen.

Different level plain and simple.

AgentSmith

It reflects poorly on Pogba that he chose that cnut as his agent. Sadly, the fat man has too many class players in his pockets. I don't think cutting ties with Raiola is realistic.
I think Raiola performs the role of ‘fat cnut’ because it’s effective in extracting money from clubs while simultaneously ensuring fans and the press have an easy target to aim at instead of his player. A win-win for whoever he’s representing.

Haaland and his dad seem extremely professional and career-orientated in their choices for him as a player. They chose Raoila as his agent. There’s obviously a lot more to Raoila than the evil villain persona he’s deliberately cultivated in the press.

He’s still a vacuous leech of a man though. Football would be much better off without him and his man tits.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Anyway guys, sorry for biting. Not doing this today, I deserve a day off! Carry on as you were.

Raven

This post doesn't paint you in a particularly flattering way. The bolded is truly brain dead.

RashyForPM

No I wouldn’t consider him injury prone either. But the recurrent nature of his ankle issue is definitely something to keep eye on.

I think the future of Pogba is the biggest question mark in the squad atm. All the other areas of need have pretty obvious solutions IMO; financial limitations are the only thing restricting us there. Pogba’s future is much harder to diagnose.

There’s not an obvious place for him in the current formation given the options to play next to him but we’ve desperately missed him over the past few months in spite of this. I feel we would have had very different results against Sheffield United, WBA, Palace etc. with Pogba on the pitch.

But then if he was playing against City I don’t think we would have produced the same level of performance as we did.

It feels like we need him to help beat the low-block defences but we can’t rely on him in the same role against better teams. A player we need but can’t trust.

And given this is our last chance to cash in on because he’s gone next year on a free it increases we need to make the choice on his future now.

It’s a difficult decision to decide whether it’s worth giving Pogba a bumper new £300,000 a week contract that takes him well into his 30s without him already having a clearly defined role in the team. But can we really afford to replace him this summer while also sorting out the other areas we desperately need to fill? I’ve no good answer either way.
Tbf, I feel the solution here is to simply give him the new contract, because either way, Raiola doesn’t play for us, Pogba does. Then, pair him with a new young DM, which we’re apparently targeting. For this season, Fred and McT next to him will do, but for a team with aspirations to come top, that isn’t good enough. Ndidi? Rice maybe? I’d take both.
Since he signed in 16/17, transfermarkt has the following :
  • 16/17 - Hamstring - 18 days
  • 17/18 - Thigh muscle - 63 days
  • 18/19 - Muscle - 15 days
  • 18/19 - Thigh - 8 days
  • 18/19 - Knock - 3 days
  • 19/20 - Back - 8 days
  • 19/20 - Ankle - 25 days
  • 19/20 - Ankle - 79 days
  • 19/20 - Ankle - 161 days
  • 20/21 - Covid - 15 days
  • 20/21 - Ankle - 13 days
  • 20/21 - Knock - 4 days
  • 20/21 - Hamstring - 37 days
It's fair to say he's become injury prone. He was relatively injury free in 16/17 and 18/19, but had big injuries in the 3 other seasons. Generally he takes a while to get fit and get up to speed too. Take out 19/20 where he was out 75% of the year, and he's injured 13-14% of the time over his remaining days here... that's still not amazing.
We definitely have different definitions of injury prone. Last season was a disaster in terms of his fitness, but generally, it looks fine. Bits and bobs as I said for the first 3 seasons (bar that thigh injury), a total heap of them last season (where many of our fans started disliking him, which irritated me because he didn’t fake it), and yeah, this 1 month thing this season. It definitely doesn’t look to bad. Compared to many other players, 13-14% isn’t too bad.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Tbf, I feel the solution here is to simply give him the new contract, because either way, Raiola doesn’t play for us, Pogba does. Then, pair him with a new young DM, which we’re apparently targeting. For this season, Fred and McT next to him will do, but for a team with aspirations to come top, that isn’t good enough. Ndidi? Rice maybe? I’d take both.

We definitely have different definitions of injury prone. Last season was a disaster in terms of his fitness, but generally, it looks fine. Bits and bobs as I said for the first 3 seasons (bar that thigh injury), a total heap of them last season (where many of our fans started disliking him, which irritated me because he didn’t fake it), and yeah, this 1 month thing this season. It definitely doesn’t look to bad. Compared to many other players, 13-14% isn’t too bad.
13-14% is still on the higher scale IMO. Did a look at Rashford for example and he's at like 3% if you ignore last seasons back injury since August 1 2016. Shaw since August 1st 2017 is at 18% for example (just basically going back to summer 2016 and then taking out each of theirs worst injury year). Martial is at 9% since August 1st 2015, taking nothing out, and he's someone who has become more and more injury prone since 17/18. Since Aug 2017, he's at 14% like Pogba. I'd call that injury prone. Not terrible, but also not great. And keep in mind we're ignoring Pogba's bad year. It's normal for players to get more injuries as they age, and its definitely been the case with Pogba, especially when you see it's all muscular with him.

SATA

No one brought up about Cavani's feeling not ready to travel to help the team where as Pogba did? Do we now see a different level of commitment between two players? If Pogba do like what Cavani did, he would have been ripped to shreds

0le

No one brought up about Cavani's feeling not ready to travel to help the team where as Pogba did? Do we now see a different level of commitment between two players? If Pogba do like what Cavani did, he would have been ripped to shreds
Have you missed the discussion in the Cavani thread?

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Pogba gets ripped to shreds when he’s injured, he’s always stepped in to help us out when he’s able to. He’s been an absolute professional in that regard. Cavani has done what I expected robbed a living for a season, scored very few goals and he’ll be off to Boca with the dumbasses wanking senseless over his ineffective running.

MUFC OK

Anyone who thinks we can do without his creativity, ability and what he brings to the team.. well, you deserve McFred.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
The thing that cracks me up about this shop window theory people seem to have is that the guy is a world Cup winner whilst being a massive prescene in the squad, has won titles in Italy, played in CL final & won the EL. And yet, people think that he can just decide ok I'm going to play well now for 6 months and then take my foot off the gas.

Every public statement, be it from his agent or out of his own mouth has been about the fact he's onky happy when he's winning, the reason his agent said he wanted to leave was due to the team not challenging at the top, and yet people think Pogba has the ability to make that happen singlehandedly but can't be arsed to do it.

Truth be told he's an inconsistent player if the team isn't set up well around him, and for most of his time here he's been hampered by a sub-par squad.

laughtersassassin

It the Sevilla game under Jose or the Leipzig game under Ole has thought us anything its that you Play Pogba in the CL.

None of this two cdms who can't pass the ball.

MattofManchester

Good when he came on. Changed the game and saved us.

Still don't expect him to start for a while. Looked way too bulky and slow today. Needs time to get properly fit again.

Abhinav

Have to give it to him. Totally changed the game and we looked so much more fluid after his introduction.

el3mel

Pogba you fecking beauty !! Sorry for doubting you at any moment last few years !!

Turned on the damn game for us. Got us the win. What a goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.