Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Let's move on from him.

It's not about the talent, it's about the application of it. He's playing like he wants out in a cup final, he's fecking useless.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
We always say playing Pogba allows Bruno that freedom and if Bruno is marked, Pogba will be our creative outlet but stats say quite the opposite, he doesn't assist or score a lot, he isn't great defensively and tends to give the ball away a fair amount.

All the talent in the world but judging based off his several years with us, I wouldn't miss him at all, he isn't that special truth is.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
You expect too much from one player. No single person can set the tempo or control the game without a well coached set up.

Can he play better? Absolutely. Can you expect him to 'dictate' the game in this team? Wild expectations imo.

Before you judge Pogba's potential ability to do those things, why don't you think about whether you saw obvious short, medium and long pass options on the pitch tonight?

'Tempo' and 'control' don't just happen with one player being superlatively better than everyone else on the pitch and just doing it. There's need to be and I hate to say this 'patterns of play'.
At the end of the day, Pogba can only play well when we play a certain way and fit the team around him and even than there's no guarantee that he'll pull his head out from his ass to actually perform well.

The sooner we move on from him the better.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He was terrible. I don't get why Ole fecks around with him so much, if he played his best football in this hybrid position on the wing, why play him in the middle for the final :houllier: ? Specially when we know his level drops drastically in midfield for Utd

BallonDor99

Couldn't control the game yesterday could he... think it's best for all parties of that's his last Man Utd game

youmeletsfly

He was terrible. I don't get why Ole fecks around with him so much, if he played his best football in this hybrid position on the wing, why play him in the middle for the final :houllier: ? Specially when we know his level drops drastically in midfield for Utd
There might be a few reasons:
- Fred was injured
- Paul played there 4-5 games in a row, maybe OGS wanted to surprise Emery, who knows.

I still think a midfield of fecking DVB and MCT with Pogs on the left and no Rashford would've done wonders.

Godfather

He wasn't as bad as people say. In the first half he was actually quite good. But he was nowhere what I hoped for in a European final. Didn't rise with the occassion. Just as most of our players

Banana Republic

£89 million and something like £75 - £80 million in wages over the last 5 years.
He’s had 5 seasons with us, since he returned.
That’s the majority of his senior playing career.
Apart from maybe a couple of dozen really top performances over that period, he’s varied between inconsistent but occasionally pulling out a few brilliant plays, to absolutely dire.
Overall over 5 seasons, an average of....well average to indifferent.
28 years old with one season left on his contract.
At the end of next season he’ll be approaching 30.
Why are we keeping him here?

He’s not suddenly going to turn into a world beating player. There’s been no evidence of that over the last 5 years.
It simply won’t happen.
Nobody is going to pay a massive transfer fee, a huge wedge for Raiola and pay the wages likely to be demanded, based on the firm evidence we’ve witnessed.
Railola knows this and, unless Utd are stupid enough to offer a new contract, paying stupid money for another 4 years, the contract will be run down and he’ll walk for free next year and pick up a good contract somewhere else.
In the meantime, we continue to spend another years wages (£14 - £16 million?) for what will be very little, if any return on the pitch and no transfer fee at the end.
The maths are simple.
Minus £14 - £16 million versus plus £20 - £30 million ( if we’re lucky).

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

Ole knew that Villareal would sit in so Pogba wouldn't be pressed very often in the middle of the park and his creative passing from deep would help break the low block. It also meant that we could get all our best attacking players on the pitch in their best position. I think that aspect was sound tactical management from Ole but Pogba didn't offer any creativity and still made a couple of unforced errors on the ball that were part of the phase of play that led to the Villareal goal.

Zlatattack

Sell him this summer. He offered nothing apart from a handful of diagonal passes.

He's capable of dribbling through teams but didn't try.

He was alright. He was the one spreading the ball about and keeping them pinned back, which allowed us to control the game in midfield. He didn't do much else though.

Hard to blame him too much as we know he's no good in a midfield two. Why did we even try it?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He along with Bailly and Lindelof was literally the deepest player behind the entire Villareal team at times in the first half. Everytime he picked up the ball, he would have had 3-4 players pouncing.

Sure they may not have been a counter attacking threat but if you're expecting your deepest midfielder to do game changing stuff, the issue is not on Pogba, it's the frankly abysmal coaching.

We had all our players in their half and we couldn't get it to them without struggling massively without needing a loose second ball or getting lucky by randomly pressing them.

Ole could have prime Xavi and he would still play 4-2-3-1 expecting him to be box to box against the midfield opposition.

Pogba deserves criticism, I'm not absolving him of that. The fact McT was one of our greater attacking threats tells all you need to know about how out coached Ole was by Emery.
How do you know what coaching does or doesn’t go on? Got a secret inside eye?

coaching doesn’t do anything for a player giving the ball away, especially one you’d expect to get most of his passes straight

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Ole knew that Villareal would sit in so Pogba wouldn't be pressed very often in the middle of the park and his creative passing from deep would help break the low block. It also meant that we could get all our best attacking players on the pitch in their best position. I think that aspect was sound tactical management from Ole but Pogba didn't offer any creativity and still made a couple of unforced errors on the ball that were part of the phase of play that led to the Villareal goal.
Yeah, it looked like the plan might be working in the first few minutes. He did one lovely switch of play and that delicious outside of the foot pass to Mason. Went downhill rapidly from there though. I don’t remember a single remotely impressive pass from that point on. But there were a punch of woeful passes under no pressure. The one leading to their goal being a good example.

Considering that creativity and range of passing is supposed to be his greatest strengths it was a genuinely dire performance in terms of passing the football. One of many this season. Liverpool’s fullbacks seem to play more accurate cross field passes per game than Pogba manages in a month. How does that happen?!

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Don’t rate him. Lacking such basics despite being capable of great play. Would get rid.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
There is a risk/reward aspect of Pogba playing there specifically, the risk isn't worth the creativity IMHO. If we have McFred then yeah his creativity is so useful but as a pure CM, he just isn't focused and secure enough on the ball for me for such a big game. Villareal aren't a shit team like a bottom PL team to try this on

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Wasn’t our worst performer, but it was one of those times we needed him to put in a top performance and he couldn’t. Thought it was the right shout from Ole to play Pogba in that deeper, almost quarterback role, but he just couldn’t break Villarreal down or create anything.

He is a player whose reputation far exceeds his ability. I would be very happy for us to cash in on him this summer if we get a decent offer.

Banana Republic

.....He is a player whose reputation far exceeds his ability. I would be very happy for us to cash in on him this summer if we get a decent offer.
The wages and big pay day that Raiola and Pogba will want, doesn't fit with Utd obtaining a high transfer fee.
So don't expect we'll get much for him, even if we can offload him ......and hold the thought that he's quite likely to run his contract down and walk next summer instead.

All but a few clubs are limited in what they can do with big transfers at the moment.
They won't pay a big transfer fee and all the associated costs (signing on, agents fees etc,) and also be willing, or able, to offer wages of £250k, £300k or £400k, or whatever Raiola will be demanding.
Pogba's form and track record over the last 5 seasons doesn't justify it either.
What might be tempting, is signing him on a free, which would allow a club to make an attractive pay offer, without having to pay for his transfer.

If Utd put Pogba up for sale this coming transfer window, they may have to set their sights on a much lower price, maybe in the region of £20m - £30m in order to make him a tempting proposition, or even generate any serious interest.
However, unless there's a big wage offer etc, to go with such a transfer bid, or it's a club where Pogba really wants to move to, Raiola is probably going to reject any transfer deal and will have Pogba run his contract down.
Remember, Utd can't force him to move.
This is going to be Raiola's (and Pogba's) last big pay day, before this player get's into his thirties and towards the end of his career.
They hold all the cards and Utd are at their mercy.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Played well for 70 minutes in the role he was given, take the ball of the defenders feed the forwards and keep shape. He did that just fine. It’s not his fault Bruno and Rashford had yet another diabolical performance each, hence the attack didn’t work. He did look to tire and gave a few passes away late in the game granted, but overall he fulfilled his role. It was others who were to blame.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Rubbish. Pogba was signed as a world class player who could influence big games like this. Turns out the much derided McT was in a completely different league to him tonight.

After the final whistle did anyone else notice they cut from Bruno in tears to Pogba… smirking? Summed the two of them up in that instant.
To be fair if Pogba had played nearly as badly as Bruno he’d have been in tears himself. One of them did his job last night for the most part....the Portuguese one was absolutely pathetic

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
To be fair if Pogba had played nearly as badly as Bruno he’d have been in tears himself. One of them did his job last night for the most part....the Portuguese one was absolutely pathetic
How did Pogba do his job last night? He wasn't terrible but he didn't really do anything that even Cleverley couldn't have done. Played a nice pass to Greenwood early when we actually started well, and after that just played sideways passes all game at a pretty slow pace. He's capable of world class performances, let's not claim yesterday was in any way close to the level Pogba can reach and for the most part was at the past few months.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
How did Pogba do his job last night? He wasn't terrible but he didn't really do anything that even Cleverley couldn't have done. Played a nice pass to Greenwood early when we actually started well, and after that just played sideways passes all game at a pretty slow pace. He's capable of world class performances, let's not claim yesterday was in any way close to the level Pogba can reach and for the most part was at the past few months.
His role in the pivot was to ensure we dominated possession and take the ball from the back four and circulate it. Keep shape etc. This isn’t a role you’re going to see Pogba demonstrate his ability in, but he ensured we dominated possession. He was a bit like Carrick back there, who I think was incredibly overrated but that role is never spectacular. Keep it simple, tick over and play the odd good pass.

But I agree in a different position he is capable of playing to a higher standard. That doesn’t mean he didn’t do the job asked of him yesterday. He was one of only 3/4 players who were even decent yesterday yet seemingly takes the hit for the result.

Zlatattack

Let's move on from him.

It's not about the talent, it's about the application of it. He's playing like he wants out in a cup final, he's fecking useless.
We always say playing Pogba allows Bruno that freedom and if Bruno is marked, Pogba will be our creative outlet but stats say quite the opposite, he doesn't assist or score a lot, he isn't great defensively and tends to give the ball away a fair amount.

All the talent in the world but judging based off his several years with us, I wouldn't miss him at all, he isn't that special truth is.
Agree with both these posts. He'll move and be excellent somewhere else, assuming they play 433 or maybe even if they don't - i think he's mentally done at Manchester United.

Yesterday he had a 6/10 game, but yesterday was the type of game where you want and expect a player of his quality to have a 8/10.

Bruno didn't either tbh, but Bruno was marked out of the game and also has been having great games for us pretty much since he arrive 18 months ago.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Agree with that assessment. Scotty was our best player tonight for sure.

I disagree with this goal/game changer thing though. I’d like us to move away from judging all of our players based on ‘moments’. And also, if he’s going to be played where he played tonight, then it isn’t the position for what you asked for. If you want those things from him, he needs to be played further forward, with another two. You can’t play a player in a double pivot and judge on goals and game changing. He has provided a lot of moments this season when played further forward.

Personally, I don’t think double pivot is best for him, and wouldn’t be opposed to him moving on to get a different type of player. I don’t see him and Bruno working in the same midfield.
I thought Pogba was alright. I just think without Fred we have a lot of the ball but no tempo or urgency. It’s aimless side to side and the odd hopefully long ball in behind. We didn’t commit them in the middle at all. I’ve been saying it all season Fred is Bruno’s foil and a major reason for his continued success. His pressing and getting it forward as early as possible where even a flick from Bruno turns the opposition around facing their own goal. In the attacking phase he sets our press. He’s also been tasked with being our DLP when that isn’t playing to his strengths. He’s not strong enough to shield the ball under the type of pressure we are inviting.

Pogba is capable of the special long ball and driving it forward but he’s often too slow to release it, he doesn’t use clever 1/2s to get up the pitch and it lets the opposition settle in and wait for the long ball or the slow buildup. he also doesn’t track runners even when they are clearly dangerous. we missed the little guy last night 100%

Pogba is currently far better on the left than Rashford for me and Ole bottled it not swapping Rashford out when we started taking control of the game after the equaliser. It was there to be won 2 or even 3-1 if Ole had some guts.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
His role in the pivot was to ensure we dominated possession and take the ball from the back four and circulate it. Keep shape etc.
I disagree. Against a low block team who are very happy to park the bus, you need more from the "quarterback" role than just keeping things neat and tidy, you need a deeper lying creative outlet, which is what Pogba was meant to be last night. The idea of the DLP in that game is that in order to press him, Villarreal would have to come a bit further up the pitch and leave some space.

Again, Pogba wasnt terrible last night but he didnt really offer much. The fact that Bruno was worse is somewhat irrelevant, but is also somewhat expected when Bruno is playing high up the pitch, typically surrounded by 4-5 opposition players.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Mctominah looked miles better him, especially as the game wore on.

Was decent in the first half. But very poor in the second.

Jesus 89 million for this guy. Daylight robbery.

I would take the 40 million for him and move on.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I thought Pogba was alright. I just think without Fred we have a lot of the ball but no tempo or urgency. It’s aimless side to side and the odd hopefully long ball in behind. We didn’t commit them in the middle at all. I’ve been saying it all season Fred is Bruno’s foil. His pressing and getting it forward as early as possible where even a flick from Bruno turns the opposition around facing their own goal. In the attacking phase he sets our press. He’s also been tasked with being our DLP when that isn’t playing to his strengths. He’s not strong enough to shield the ball under the type of pressure we are inviting.
This is probably the wrong thread for this discussion, but how anyone can watch that game and think Fred would have been the answer is truly beyond me.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
This is probably the wrong thread for this discussion, but how anyone can watch that game and think Fred would have been the answer is truly beyond me.
I think we had a lot of the ball but predictably laboured to get it forward quickly enough. We also didn’t really press from the front. Two things that have won us lots of games this season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I thought Pogba was alright. I just think without Fred we have a lot of the ball but no tempo or urgency. It’s aimless side to side and the odd hopefully long ball in behind. We didn’t commit them in the middle at all. I’ve been saying it all season Fred is Bruno’s foil and a major reason for his continued success. His pressing and getting it forward as early as possible where even a flick from Bruno turns the opposition around facing their own goal. In the attacking phase he sets our press. He’s also been tasked with being our DLP when that isn’t playing to his strengths. He’s not strong enough to shield the ball under the type of pressure we are inviting.

Pogba is capable of the special long ball and driving it forward but he’s often too slow to release it, he doesn’t use clever 1/2s to get up the pitch and it lets the opposition settle in and wait for the long ball or the slow buildup. he also doesn’t track runners even when they are clearly dangerous. we missed the little guy last night 100%

Pogba is currently far better on the left than Rashford for me and Ole bottled it not swapping Rashford out when we started taking control of the game after the equaliser. It was there to be won 2 or even 3-1 if Ole had some guts.
Yea I agree with that. I think Pogba on the left and Fred in the middle last night would have been better.

Mailo

I'm thinking after last night, he won't renew his contract and leave for a free next summer.

Roane

I don't know if it's been said on here but statistically Pogba was the better player last night.

His pass rates and forward passing etc was far better than McT, although McT did make a couple if runs, and I saw figures that Pogba alone was better than the front 5 or something.

I forgot where I read it, this morning, but will post if I find it

DoomSlayer

The worst part about Paul Pogba is I think he gave up after Villareal scored. Before that, he impressed me with his determination and hunger for every loose ball. I saw a big change after we conceded and that speaks volumes about Paul's desire, motivation and professionalism.

He will push to leave this summer and with Raiola in charge of him, it's going to get ugly yet again...

Drifter

American
He never really showed up. Ok defensively, but his passing was below standards and lost possession to many times.

Craig Ward

He was alright. He was the one spreading the ball about and keeping them pinned back, which allowed us to control the game in midfield. He didn't do much else though.

Hard to blame him too much as we know he's no good in a midfield two. Why did we even try it?
He is supposed to be a central midfield player. Perhaps thats why?

Atrocious performance. Amazed he stayed on the pitch for so long. Bar Rashford, who had an absolute mare, our worst player by some margin

Offered no composure from midfield. Offered nothing defensively. Offered nothing with the ball. Offered nothing creatively.

A solid 2/10. Sums up his time here for me. All hype no substance

izzydiggler

The idea that he's 'world class' and worth £500k a week is laughable. Talented no doubt and shows it in around 25% of his games but he's been here 5 years and I don't know how anyone could class him as anything other than a disappointment.

It's best for everyone if he moves on...months of speculation of which we'll no doubt be subject to the minute he is with the French camp.

BFernandes

Causes more problems than he solves.

A brilliant talent that just doesn't fit. Unable to play a midfield 2, if Ole doesn't move to 4-3-3 then he doesn't have a place here.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Agree with that assessment. Scotty was our best player tonight for sure.

I disagree with this goal/game changer thing though. I’d like us to move away from judging all of our players based on ‘moments’. And also, if he’s going to be played where he played tonight, then it isn’t the position for what you asked for. If you want those things from him, he needs to be played further forward, with another two. You can’t play a player in a double pivot and judge on goals and game changing. He has provided a lot of moments this season when played further forward.

Personally, I don’t think double pivot is best for him, and wouldn’t be opposed to him moving on to get a different type of player. I don’t see him and Bruno working in the same midfield.
If we are going to pay 400k or 500k p/w on player then it’s fair to expect him to be game changer. There is no point to pay that much of wages on player who can’t be game changer, should move on and invest the money on player who is more suitable for the manager.

Craig Ward

Played well for 70 minutes in the role he was given, take the ball of the defenders feed the forwards and keep shape. He did that just fine. It’s not his fault Bruno and Rashford had yet another diabolical performance each, hence the attack didn’t work. He did look to tire and gave a few passes away late in the game granted, but overall he fulfilled his role. It was others who were to blame.
Wow - such a deluded post.

It's logic like this which leads to fans accepting these kind of performances for 5 seasons from a supposedly "world class" player.

That kind of performance belongs to a lower end prem team or worse. We have accepted such drivel performances from Pogba that we cant argue objectively any longer.

Pogba had a stinking game - end of. He was awful.

Other players were too, notably Rashford. I'm not saying Pogba is the reason we lost or anything, i just think we have to look at his performance for what it was - utter garbage. I can't look back at that game and recall one single instance of Pogba doing anything that made me think "Nice Play" or "Good pass". It was just littered with average lazy play you'd expect from a much worse player. If any fan out there thinks Pogba played anywhere near to the level he can last night, they need to take up another sport

Status
Not open for further replies.