Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

sherrinford

Seriously?

Rashford till Jan, Fred, Cavani, AWB, Bruno, Shaw, Maguire all more consistent for me last season. They all, Cavani aside, played about 2000 more minutes than him too.

Hes a really good player but injuries and inconsistency are his enemy.
Shaw and Maguire were consistently good, but I find the idea that Fernandes or, particularly, Rashford were more consistent to be ridiculous. Wan Bissaka and Cavani are more stable in their performances but I don't particularly value Wan Bissaka's contributions and simply don't think Cavani was quite as good. Fred was fine but not as good as he was the season prior and certainly not as good as Pogba.

Of the players you mentioned, 3 are defenders (so not mids and attackers) and the rest don't have poor/mediocre performances slotted away in an "inconsistency" bucket the way Pogba does.

If every mistake or poor performance was proof of inconsistency, then last season Pogba was more consistent than the majority of our players.
As for Whoscored, I'd have a lot of players over Rashford and Bruno consistency-wise last season (and I'm sure you'd agree in the case of Rashford). Shaw, Fred, Pogba, Maguire, to name a few. So while I acknowledge their stats, I disagree with the conclusion.

In any case, all that has little to do with what I was saying. I'm not saying anything else beyond the bounds of his consistency compared to his teammates last season, and at the end of the day he was one of our most consistent players, yet inconsistency is still being talked about like he has a special problem with that. He doesn't, he's just as consistent as anyone else in the side.
This.

We didn't switch to a Herrera - Pogba double pivot by the end of this season. Fellaini was a third midfielder whenever Carrick wasn't present, which was what happened in the Ajax final.

There's no way Pogba was better than Cavani and Bruno last season either. He had a good season, but you are overrating it at this point.
Yes, as a No.10. Actually I would agree that it wasn't always a 4-2-3-1 (though it definitely was in the final) but Pogba certainly played as the second function midfielder as opposed to the third function midfielder.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If we make him the highest paid player in the league we deserve everything that will follow it. How long before other players (Bruno in particular) wants parity? You can see what silly wages has done to Madrid and Barca.

Get rid of him and start again. He's a talent that simply doesn't put the hard yards in to use his ability consistently. No way on earth does he deserve to be the highest paid player in the league. He doesn't even deserve it at the club.

If we get 40m fee and his wages off the books it will be fine. Start again.

GoldanoGraham

If we make him the highest paid player in the league we deserve everything that will follow it. How long before other players (Bruno in particular) wants parity? You can see what silly wages has done to Madrid and Barca.

Get rid of him and start again. He's a talent that simply doesn't put the hard yards in to use his ability consistently. No way on earth does he deserve to be the highest paid player in the league. He doesn't even deserve it at the club.

If we get 40m fee and his wages off the books it will be fine. Start again.
I agree - signing a new contract with us is the fall back option and I believe just a smokescreen - this saga with Pogba will just consume everything this summer - I’d like to see how much his agent is getting for taking the Italian keeper to PSG on a free - seems that there is a strategy in getting his players contracts run down - the winners being his and the players bonuses and salary while the club they leave gets nothing.

Pogba is an enigma that will never shine in the PL - when surrounded with great players and playing with more time on the ball he looks much better - in the PL he doesn’t have these luxuries so doesn’t look as good.

We need to part ways and move on so this soap opera ends otherwise the fall out will be widespread and ongoing.

Sometimes it’s better to take one step backwards to take two forwards.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I agree - signing a new contract with us is the fall back option and I believe just a smokescreen - this saga with Pogba will just consume everything this summer - I’d like to see how much his agent is getting for taking the Italian keeper to PSG on a free - seems that there is a strategy in getting his players contracts run down - the winners being his and the players bonuses and salary while the club they leave gets nothing.

Pogba is an enigma that will never shine in the PL - when surrounded with great players and playing with more time on the ball he looks much better - in the PL he doesn’t have these luxuries so doesn’t look as good.

We need to part ways and move on so this soap opera ends otherwise the fall out will be widespread and ongoing.

Sometimes it’s better to take one step backwards to take two forwards.
Well said my man. Totally agree. He's a good player in his own way but he's not right for us or the PL. 5 years has proved it. Why we have some people still clinging onto the fact that he's going to change is beyond me.

I'd sooner sell him buy a player like Zakaria for example to play DM and then let Donny, Mctomminay and Fred battle it out for the 6 role. Or if Donny goes too and there's money there buy a DM and a CM.

3vra

After todays match he should change his nr to 12 and put Brady on the back.
Fenomenal player pay him 500 k a week.

We must keep him.

The Substitute

Yeah, based on his form for France, great idea. Let's sell Bruno too, since he is on bench for Portugal.
Extending Pogba would be comparable of selling Bruno? That's the most biased comment I've read. Stupid.

And yes, he plays like this for us, was amazing for a long period after his injury. However Bruno, which has been absolutely terrible since start of the year is completely excused. Playing in an advanced role further than Pogb with total freedom and gets all the pens.

Last edited:

Jev

I'm inclined to say if a manager can't get a player with Pogba's talent performing, it's the manager who has a problem, not Pogba.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
His performances for United and France aren't that different. It's just that France are an excellent team.

I thought you were thread banned?
Why should I be banned for being right? Him playing like this for France just proves me right. He doesn't put half the effort in for us.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I'm inclined to say if a manager can't get a player with Pogba's talent performing, it's the manager who has a problem, not Pogba.
Yet Bruno and others have had no issue? Stop making excuses. He doesn't play this way for us. His heart isn't in it like it is for France.

Holocene

Why should I be banned for being right? Him playing like this for France just proves me right. He doesn't put half the effort in for us.
Yeah, that's why you got thread banned... for being right. Not for your ridiculous obsession with Pogba.

Nero

Anything he's done tonight he's done numerous times for United. Why do people on here keep trying to create this narrative that he's elite for France and shit for United? He's done nothing tonight we haven't seen in a United shirt.

Last game he was bang average for France (just like he has been in games for United). Stop acting like there is some major difference between the United Pogba and the France Pogba.

el3mel

Anything he's done tonight he's done numerous times for United. Why do people on here keep trying to create this narrative that he's elite for France and shit for United? He's done nothing tonight we haven't seen in a United shirt.

Last game he was bang average for France (just like he has been in games for United). Stop acting like there is some major difference between the United Pogba and the France Pogba.
Agree. IMO he even had a bang average first half today before massively improving in the second one. There's nothing different. People really are inventing narratives.

He's inconsistent for them as much as he's inconsistent for us.

keithsingleton

Pogba still presently my fav United player but has to be said, he's more consistent playing for France than us. He's a different animal in a France shirt.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Yeah, that's why you got thread banned... for being right. Not for your ridiculous obsession with Pogba.
If I have an obsession for wanting one of our most talented players to pull his finger out and run his socks off like he does in a French shirt then so be it.

He's a different player for them. Why? Effort. Talent has always been there.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Like de Gea before his decline, it's criminal how a player of this talent isn't competing for the major club trophies. I hope he wins a few here before it's all said and done.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
tbf this has been a mixed game today, flashes of brilliance but the Portugal midfield has been better for most of the game

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Pogba still presently my fav United player but has to be said, he's more consistent playing for France than us. He's a different animal in a France shirt.
Naturally so and to others in this thread who feel the same. It's to be expected. He plays in over 50 games for United in a year on average and 10 for France, so of course he'll look more consistent over a small sample size of games. Nothing he does for France is different to what he's shown at United even this season. His performance against Spurs for example is better than any at this Euros.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Sign a Fecking DM ffs!
Problem is it's not just any DM you need, you need someone like Kante who can quickly recover the ball when Pogba does lose it. In theory Fred or McTominay should be able to do that job just fine as that's essentially what they bring to the table

acnumber9

It’s easier when you’re playing in a team surrounded by top class players. Why is this constantly a surprise?

Pass and Move

I don't believe the differences in Pogba's performances we see between France and United are anything to do with motivation, commitment or the like. I think there are 3 key differences between the teams.

1) Kante is an upgrade on Fred and McTominay
2) The France defenders are able to play the ball through the lines far better than United do, meaning Pogba isn't completely crowded out by the time the ball eventually finds him in deep positions. Thus he can turn and move the ball forwards
3) This is the most significant difference, France's forwards offer far greater movement than United's do, meaning he has targets to aim for which is what he does better than most other players in the world. It was clear when Zlatan was here, the moment Pogba got on the ball he'd be pulling off the shoulder of the defender ready for the pass.

With poor service from the back, and no willing runners up front, how much more do people expect our number 6 to be able to do?

Last edited:

El Jefe

Played in the same role he would alongside McTominay or Fred in a two man midfield and was excellent. I've never bought the excuse of him being played wrong position, he's talented enough to play in any role given. The real problem is himself and how static United can be at times.

Played in the same role he would alongside McTominay or Fred in a two man midfield and was excellent. I've never bought the excuse of him being played wrong position, he's talented enough to play in any role given. The real problem is himself and how static United can be at times.
And the intensity of English football.

He suits “continental” football so much better.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
It’s easier when you’re playing in a team surrounded by top class players. Why is this constantly a surprise?
For some players. Bruno doesn’t seem to find it easier playing in a better team. And it’s not unreasonable to read into that.

Idxomer

He looked like the best player on the pitch in a game full of world-class talent.

Whether his haters like it or not, he's still United's most talented player with ease.

Status
Not open for further replies.