Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
It's not an excuse, I've said he's not playing well - we know he is capable of a lot better. This isn't his usual level so something is wrong. It's not his application I think he's just struggling with top fitness, probably due to COVID.
Respectfully i disagree. If Pogba was playing as bad in training as he has in the two games so far, Ole would not start him. I suspect he is doing it in training, but come the match day, he does not perform, which suggests to me, that he is nervous.

Hammondo

That should be obvious. Same goes for Bruno, they can't find a pass if nobody is making any runs.
This is true, our attackers are not good in tight spaces or at making intelligent runs.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
So many people making excuses for him. This guy is paid squillions to play for our club. Why are you prepared to give him a free pass when he delivers crap like this? Unsellable at this stage too so a massive problem for the club.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Respectfully i disagree. If Pogba was playing as bad in training as he has in the two games so far, Ole would not start him. I suspect he is doing it in training, but come the match day, he does not perform, which suggests to me, that he is nervous.
IMO he doesn't look fit and Ole is trying to play him into fitness.

He's usually bouncing around the pitch strutting like a Gazelle, he just looks tired and out of breathe. Usually if somebody gets close to him he'll roll them and sprint off but it just doesn't look possible for him right now.

Ole clearly can see that too as he's subbed him twice around the 60/70 mark which suggests his level isn't up to what Ole wants.

Anyway, it's early days yet and we want Pogba to get back to his best hopefully - some seem happy that he's playing badly though which is a shame.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
IMO he doesn't look fit and Ole is trying to play him into fitness.

He's usually bouncing around the pitch strutting like a Gazelle, he just looks tired and out of breathe. Usually if somebody gets close to him he'll roll them and sprint off but it just doesn't look possible for him right now.

Ole clearly can see that too as he's subbed him twice around the 60/70 mark which suggests his level isn't up to what Ole wants.

Anyway, it's early days yet and we want Pogba to get back to his best hopefully - some seem happy that he's playing badly though which is a shame.
He is not. He is slow enough. Sort of jogs around the place. Secondly, he has always been terrible for retaining the ball. He lost the ball against Southampton last year that lead to their goal. He has always been getting caught out in possession. I remember also him being caught out against wolves under Mourinho which lead to a goal for them.

Achilles McCool

Pogba, late in the game yesterday, with three teammates with him in the attacking third, made a 5 yard pass straight to an opposing player that started a Brighton counter. Seriously, a 5 yard pass straight to the other team (with no pressure).
If we’re honest with ourselves, Paul has been making this same mistake for years. Covid doesn’t feck with your vision to make a feckin’ 5 yard pass!!
No more excuses. We need to hold our players (every player) accountable. He’s been trash and doesn’t seem to be too concerned.

Yet Bruno still found a pass to create our second goal.

Timing your run to get on the end of a Pogba pass must be a nightmare. He takes so many touches and you never know if/when he’s going to release the ball.
That's probably the problem. You shouldn't be looking at him to time your run, you should know if he receives it in a certain spot that you start running, and he should know to look for you. That never happens and is one of many coaching question marks in our team.

M16Red

That's probably the problem. You shouldn't be looking at him to time your run, you should know if he receives it in a certain spot that you start running, and he should know to look for you. That never happens and is one of many coaching question marks in our team.
He lost the ball 14 times in the last match and made two forward passes, I think people are running back to defend when he gets the ball.

Raven

I think given the state of other teams that went far in Europe last season, it's pretty clear that the lack of a preseason is hurting every one of them, us included. Pogba is our least fit player currently due to his self isolation, its going to take a few weeks for him to hit his stride.

romufc

I find it interesting many saying Pogba needs to be used up the pitch. He is meant to be a WC box to box midfielder. Are we suggesting me that a box to box midfielder cannot pick up the ball from his defence and not lose it, is because where he is played on the pitch?

Seriously? you play Pogba wherever you want, what is the excuse for misplacing so many passes?

The reason I do not think Pogba can play high up the pitch is because he is very slow on the ball, Bruno will make the same pass in 2 touches whereas Pogba will take 5. If he played higher up, it would just slow our attack down.

Pogba is better playing deeper because he has the ability to pick a pass.

Clermontois

Supports
France
Pogba is a quality player, I never suggested otherwise. But France only started to play well when the focus went from individuals to the team, I will tell you the same thing about every player in that team whoever he is, Griezmann, Pogba, Mbappé, Sissoko, it doesn't matter, none of them are an issue or the solution. Is Pogba one of the best 11 players for France? Absolutely, but France have been at times dreadful with and without Pogba, France plays well when 11 players are on the same page and play well as a unit, focusing on Pogba or any other player is futile.

As for Giroud, you seem to not understand a simple thing, I have criticized the alternatives who have all been poor and Giroud has factually been good for France. Do I want him to ideally start for France? No I don't and I have said it many times.
Ok fair point, I understand what you are saying now but it seemed like you were saying something else in your initial post. We did improve once we moved away from Benzema being our focal point that is certain.

The only game since the WC where I would say they were dreadful with him was against Turkey when they pushed, fouled us and the referee allowed all of it. Didier Deschamps usually does not have the answer for games like that.

Point taken on Olivier Giroud.

Clermontois

Supports
France
I find it interesting many saying Pogba needs to be used up the pitch. He is meant to be a WC box to box midfielder. Are we suggesting me that a box to box midfielder cannot pick up the ball from his defence and not lose it, is because where he is played on the pitch?

Seriously? you play Pogba wherever you want, what is the excuse for misplacing so many passes?

The reason I do not think Pogba can play high up the pitch is because he is very slow on the ball, Bruno will make the same pass in 2 touches whereas Pogba will take 5. If he played higher up, it would just slow our attack down.

Pogba is better playing deeper because he has the ability to pick a pass.
He is meant to be, by who? Before United he had never played there.

hungrywing

He is not. He is slow enough. Sort of jogs around the place. Secondly, he has always been terrible for retaining the ball. He lost the ball against Southampton last year that lead to their goal. He has always been getting caught out in possession. I remember also him being caught out against wolves under Mourinho which lead to a goal for them.
Pogba, late in the game yesterday, with three teammates with him in the attacking third, made a 5 yard pass straight to an opposing player that started a Brighton counter. Seriously, a 5 yard pass straight to the other team (with no pressure).
If we’re honest with ourselves, Paul has been making this same mistake for years. Covid doesn’t feck with your vision to make a feckin’ 5 yard pass!!
No more excuses. We need to hold our players (every player) accountable. He’s been trash and doesn’t seem to be too concerned.
Guess what kind of personality type this sort of pattern happens to. In regular life, not just in football.

People who think they're better than they actually are.

Hey, that's not supposed to happen-

romufc

Craig Ward

Reading this thread with intrigue. Seems more and more people are realising that Pogba is actually not as good as the hype. Thats the thing with hype - it always fades.

Pogba has all the ability in the world but he's never realised his true potential and he's never hit any type of top form that a player of his quality should be.

He's slow on the ball, positionally unaware, defensively naive. He just doesnt look like a competent midfielder for me. He cant do the basics very well, he lets runners go off him. He's his own worst enemy because he can be great - he just doesnt apply himself.

The most basic thing for a professional footballer who wants to be the best is workrate and application. Pogba majorly fails in this area.

We would be better off playing Fred or Donny instead of him. Pogba, in this form is a burden. How can a deep midfielder go through a WHOLE game against Brighton without making any tackles or interceptions? How irate must Fernandes be watching this joker, so much so that he works back and offers more defensively himself. Pogba is a joke. Sooner he leaves this club the better.

Run ragged by Brightons midfield a week after being run ragged by Crystal palace's midfield, any of ourfans who think he;s world class need tolay off FIFA for a while.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Ok fair point, I understand what you are saying now but it seemed like you were saying something else in your initial post. We did improve once we moved away from Benzema being our focal point that is certain.

The only game since the WC where I would say they were dreadful with him was against Turkey when they pushed, fouled us and the referee allowed all of it. Didier Deschamps usually does not have the answer for games like that.

Point taken on Olivier Giroud.
It didn't seem that I said something else, you simply ignored the rest of the post that was about improving the team as a whole.

hungrywing

Reading this thread with intrigue. Seems more and more people are realising that Pogba is actually not as good as the hype. Thats the thing with hype - it always fades.

Pogba has all the ability in the world but he's never realised his true potential and he's never hit any type of top form that a player of his quality should be.

He's slow on the ball, positionally unaware, defensively naive. He just doesnt look like a competent midfielder for me. He cant do the basics very well, he lets runners go off him. He's his own worst enemy because he can be great - he just doesnt apply himself.

The most basic thing for a professional footballer who wants to be the best is workrate and application. Pogba majorly fails in this area.

We would be better off playing Fred or Donny instead of him. Pogba, in this form is a burden. How can a deep midfielder go through a WHOLE game against Brighton without making any tackles or interceptions? How irate must Fernandes be watching this joker, so much so that he works back and offers more defensively himself. Pogba is a joke. Sooner he leaves this club the better.

Run ragged by Brightons midfield a week after being run ragged by Crystal palace's midfield, any of ourfans who think he;s world class need tolay off FIFA for a while.
Bolded part has taken four years. It's probably not as much about fading hype as much as it's about Bruno joining the club and opening the apologists' eyes and largely removing whatever leg they had to stand on.

Pogba was a facepalm of a Woodward signing from the start and people who knew what they were looking at could see the inevitable development of several of the major problems we're worried about today (club culture, wage budget, club being viewed with contempt among football executives).

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
This thread is car crash. Same people repeating how trash Pogba is and then agreeing among themselves how bright minded they are that they can spot while others can't. Rinse and repeat.

Perspective and context is completely lost on some. He is recovering from Covid 19 that has claimed a million death. Last season he didn't perform well apparently, doesn't matter if he was injured for 70% of the season. Season before that he was top performers in almost every department but apparently he hasn't performed for 4 years now. Won a world cup as a fluke also I guess

Last edited:

TheLord

I think it takes a lot longer for the fanbase to realise/accept that a player is poor if he cost a world-record fee to purchase.

And especially for central midfield players, because for other positions, there's an easily discernible parameter - goals/open-goals-missed/assists/defensive howlers/clean-sheets, etc. The majority of the supporters are generally unambiguous in their assessment of a certain team player; for central defenders, it is less clear. I see the same problem with other central midfielders like Jorginho - half the Chelsea fans think he's world-class, the rest think he's useless.

Last edited:

eltigreFalcao

He definitely looks out of his depth, and his level of performances is sinking at the moment. Its so hard to see him being so wasteful and playing without any energy. Surely has a lot to do with fitness + mentality/confidence problems, which Ole should only try to improve every day. He needs to improve if he wants to secure his spot and reach his potential, otherwise he's a liability. I still support him a lot but I can see why all the fans are complaining about him at the moment.

IMO he should be playing alongside Bruno in a double-8 rol

Idxomer

This thread is car crash. Same people repeating how trash Pogba is and then agreeing among themselves how bright minded they are that they can spot while others can't. Rinse and repeat.

Perspective and context is completely lost on some. He is recovering from Covid 19 that has claimed a million death. Last season he didn't perform well apparently, doesn't matter if he was injured for 70% of the season. Season before that he was top performers in almost every department but apparently he hasn't perfomed for 4 years now. Won a world cup as a fluke also I guess
Agreed. He performed well enough in his 1st three seasons, was mainly our best player whenever we were playing well over an extended period. Anyone who's arguing otherwise and saying he's been mostly bad for us either has a bad memory or just making up stuff to confirm his biases against him. People aren't realizing anything that has any basis on reality, and many are tired of arguing against the same exaggerated points.

DoomSlayer

Fred or VDB should start instead of him for the next few games. Get Pogba game time from the bench, it's unfair both on him and the whole team, because even if he is unfit, he still looks for the ball and the rest of the players look for him as well.

If Pogba keeps on starting and playing bad, the issue is with Ole's decision-making. I actually think we would have benefitted from having 5 subs again, like after the restart last season. It would allow us to ease in players and give more of them game-time to regain match fitness.

Raven

What an utterly embarrassing post. Hype has not faded and he hasn't been overhyped (by many). What's happened is people like your good self have invaded this thread to pounce on one of our own players whilst he is at the lowest point in his career. You should be very proud of your galaxy brain take on this, very unique, very smart.

Craig Ward

What an utterly embarrassing post. Hype has not faded and he hasn't been overhyped (by many). What's happened is people like your good self have invaded this thread to pounce on one of our own players whilst he is at the lowest point in his career. You should be very proud of your galaxy brain take on this, very unique, very smart.
Truth hurts im afraid.

Mediocre performances deserve criticism. Mediocre effort even more so.

Pogba has put in another shamboloc display and deserves no praise. He needs to be dropped

Zen86

Lowest point of his career? He’s not any different I’m afraid. If he hasn’t done it for the 4 or so years he’s been here, he probably never will. It’s time to firmly attach yourself to someone else.

Raven

Truth hurts im afraid.

Pogba has put in another shamboloc display and deserves no praise. He needs to be dropped
That's all pretty reasonable. Why couldn't you just say that instead of your weird rant calling him overhyped and calling for him to be sold. I have no problem with him dropping to the bench until he gains full fitness again.
It does doesn't it. And Bruno himself hasn't exactly been setting the league on fire like he used to, so I very much doubt he'd be thinking all that. What an interesting imagination though.
Idiots gonna idiot I'm afraid.
Lowest point of his career? He’s not any different I’m afraid. If he hasn’t done it for the 4 or so years he’s been here, he probably never will. It’s time to firmly attach yourself to someone else.
Yuck, what an insuferable post. This is literally the lowest point in his career. There has never been a time when he's been less fit or playing worse. You should try getting a clue before posting again.

pratyush_utd

Truth hurts im afraid.

So you are seeing his performance for two games when he has next to no pre season and is recovering from Coronavirus. You people are embarrassing yourself. No one is praising his performance. But not all is blinded by pure hatred of the person that they fail to see the reason why Pogba is not 100%. Also not everyone is oblivious to his performance over the last 4 years like some here.

Ole thinks getting him fit by playing him is better than waiting for a month. You should be complaining why Pogba is playing in various Ole threads, dont you think?

I am astonished how our own players get such abuse from our own so call fanbase.

Stadjer

Agree, all the Pogba-out people are now out in full force. Never been good, average at best during his Manchester United career... it is like they only remember last two games. There are fans here who actually seem to hate him or atleast hate him as a Manchester United player. (Famous quote after the news that he had Covid ''I might not like him but wish im the best'').

Before last season Pogba had been the best player every season. Goals, assists and the only creativity in bad teams with not so great performing managers. Last season he was injured almost all season after trying to play through injuries (oh wait - he was faking those injuries and got fake surgergy.... :houllier: ) but after his return he was playing well. Not playing at his very best but certainly good enough to be a starting Manchester United midfielder. This season he has been terrible during the first two games and should be benched since he clearly isnt ready to play. That picture with his passing and interception stats is shocking. Maybe it is the covid, maybe it is just bad form or the lack of pre-season but whatever it is he needs to get back to form quickly. Until that time Donny or Fred should play.

The show pony and other descriptions people have come up for him are laughable too. He has been playing so boring ever since Bruno is in the team. The only really nice moment i can remember is when he earned a penalty against Dier and some nice long passes that Rashford messed up.

It really does show the power of the media. The Class of '92 pundits dont like him, vocal non United pundits dont like him, Keane doesnt like him and as a result many fans dont like him. Eventhough he was been one of the best players since returning to the club and certainly the most entertaining player to watch.

Raven

Agree, all the Pogba-out people are now out in full force. Never been good, average at best during his Manchester United career... it is like they only remember last two games. There are fans here who actually seem to hate him or atleast hate him as a Manchester United player. (Famous quote after the news that he had Covid ''I might not like him but wish im the best'').

Before last season Pogba had been the best player every season. Goals, assists and the only creativity in bad teams with not so great performing managers. Last season he was injured almost all season after trying to play through injuries (oh wait - he was faking those injuries and got fake surgergy.... :houllier: ) but after his return he was playing well. Not playing at his very best but certainly good enough to be a starting Manchester United midfielder. This season he has been terrible during the first two games and should be benched since he clearly isnt ready to play. That picture with his passing and interception stats is shocking. Maybe it is the covid, maybe it is just bad form or the lack of pre-season but whatever it is he needs to get back to form quickly. Until that time Donny or Fred should play.

The show pony and other descriptions people have come up for him are laughable too. He has been playing so boring ever since Bruno is in the team. The only really nice moment i can remember is when he earned a penalty against Dier and some nice long passes that Rashford messed up.

It really does show the power of the media. The Class of '92 pundits dont like him, vocal non United pundits dont like him, Keane doesnt like him and as a result many fans dont like him. Eventhough he was been one of the best players since returning to the club and certainly the most entertaining player to watch.
It's a similar mindset that lead to Brexit. A bunch of people who are angry at the system and are looking for somewhere to apportion blame. The media gives them a convenient enemy (Pogba/Europe) and their little minds do the rest.

pratyush_utd

Would love to see the meltdown once this happens.

Clermontois

Supports
France
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/paul-pogba/leistungsdaten/spieler/122153/plus/0?saison=2014

Look where he played. CM. I am sorry but a CM is someone who attacks when the team attacks and defends when the team defends.

I have seen Kevin De Bruyne pick up the ball from CB's and be totally composed with it.

Bruno Fernandes also can do the same. We now have a player than can only play AM?
While I also use that website I would not completely trust it, for instance it states that Paul played CM at Juventus while that may be true for some games. It is categorically false for his last two seasons where he played AM.

De Bruyne does not play the same position as Paul as is never put in the same dysfunctional midfield two that we play here.

Have you seem Fernandes in that position here? I have not but I agree he should play CM while Paul should play AM.

It didn't seem that I said something else, you simply ignored the rest of the post that was about improving the team as a whole.
Yes you said that France made the mistake of concentrating on Paul and that is false. I do not know how anyone can say that especially considering the stuff Didier Deschamps said publicly about him, sometimes partially agreeing with the negative stuff the media said about how he was showey etc. Didier Deschamps never said anything about Antoine when he is perhaps the most showey of the main French group. If anyone was the concentration before, even briefly, it would have been Karim and then Antoine but now or since the World Cup it seems that may now be changing as every one saw in that competition which player provided the real impetus.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
While I also use that website I would not completely trust it, for instance it states that Paul played CM at Juventus while that may be true for some games. It is categorically false for his last two seasons where he played AM.

De Bruyne does not play the same position as Paul as is never put in the same dysfunctional midfield two that we play here.

Have you seem Fernandes in that position here? I have not but I agree he should play CM while Paul should play AM.

Yes you said that France made the mistake of concentrating on Paul and that is false. I do not know how anyone can say that especially considering the stuff Didier Deschamps said publicly about him, sometimes partially agreeing with the negative stuff the media said about how he was showey etc. Didier Deschamps never said anything about Antoine when he is perhaps the most showey of the main French group. If anyone was the concentration before, even briefly, it would have been Karim and then Antoine but now or since the World Cup it seems that may now be changing as every one saw in that competition which player provided the real impetus.
I was talking about pre 2016, the fact that Deschamps was talking about Pogba is the proof that he was focusing on him and the fact that he never said anything about Griezmann shows you that he wasn't the focus. Pre 2016 everything was about Pogba, everyone from the staff to the press and fans were more busy dissecting Pogba's performances than realize that maybe we had larger issues, the same happened with Benzema and Ribéry. And in your attempt to hype up Pogba, you got it wrong with the current situation since Griezmann has become the focus with everyone wondering how can we make him play well again, also the 3412 was brought up to suit him which is a mistake.

romufc

It is how footballers evolve. I can give you names of various CM's that started of as AM's when young and then become CM's. Scholes, Modric, Kroos, Thiago, Fabgregas and the list goes on and on. Pogba is not a Ozil, Mata type player where he is an out an out No 10.

If you can evolve your game to drop deeper and pick up simple balls from the defence and not lose it, there are issues.

Even if Pogba plays further up, the same problems still apply.

Is it a huge surprise that Pogba plays in a 2 in the France set up? don't see France complaining that he is playing too deep?

In respects to KDB and Fernandes, I was talking about picking the ball up from defence, they dont lose the ball, they keep the ball much better than Pogba.

Posh Red

It is how footballers evolve. I can give you names of various CM's that started of as AM's when young and then become CM's. Scholes, Modric, Kroos, Thiago, Fabgregas and the list goes on and on. Pogba is not a Ozil, Mata type player where he is an out an out No 10.

If you can evolve your game to drop deeper and pick up simple balls from the defence and not lose it, there are issues.

Even if Pogba plays further up, the same problems still apply.

Is it a huge surprise that Pogba plays in a 2 in the France set up? don't see France complaining that he is playing too deep?

In respects to KDB and Fernandes, I was talking about picking the ball up from defence, they dont lose the ball, they keep the ball much better than Pogba.
Are you sure Bruno keeps the ball better than Pogba, and do you have any stats to back that up? I ask that as when I watch Bruno he seems pretty careless/loose with a lot of his passing

Craig Ward

So you are seeing his performance for two games when he has next to no pre season and is recovering from Coronavirus. You people are embarrassing yourself. No one is praising his performance. But not all is blinded by pure hatred of the person that they fail to see the reason why Pogba is not 100%. Also not everyone is oblivious to his performance over the last 4 years like some here.

Ole thinks getting him fit by playing him is better than waiting for a month. You should be complaining why Pogba is playing in various Ole threads, dont you think?

I am astonished how our own players get such abuse from our own so call fanbase.
Pogba has been inconsistent since he came back to the club.

Yes, he's not 100% right now but when is he ever? He's never strung together consistent form. He's either great or pathetic and that doesnt wash with me. I'll admit - his POTENTIAL is there, his ABILITY is there. it just never shows consistently enough

His lack of effort over his whole time here, not just the last 2 games is way below the level required to warrant being at this football club. He simply doesnt try hard enough.

It's a real shame Pogba has divided the fan base. The hope for him to become a better player and hone his ability into a world class player will never materialise here. He's not good enough mentality to become a consistent performer.

World class players dont have as many off days as Pogba. I think our team would be better off without him, it's not about hatred or singling out a player at all. I'd love for him to come good here and be a world class midfielder but the fact is bar the odd glimpses he's been a very underwhelming signing. Thats why i mentioned hype in an earlier post, his name and his brand is enough for some people. But on a football pitch, over a 90 minute game he is out worked and out played on a weekly basis and that cannot continue. Something has to give - he;s not improving and costing the team more than he's benefiting it.

it's almost as if we can criticise any of our players bar Pogba. Sad our fans dont judge Pogba on his actual performances more

Status
Not open for further replies.