6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

twitter thread suggester
He was amazing. Everything worked out for him.

He does however take some huge risks with his dribbling in the middle. When it works it opens up the opponents completely, but when it fails it leaves us vulnerable to counters.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I’m someone who has often spoken against the demonisation of Paul Pogba and everything, and I think he was fantastic tonight - but I wouldn’t start him at Anfield.

Horses for courses, and he is not the best suited horse for that course I don’t think. We could start him on the left. But then we could start Rashford on the left, which would be better (as bafflingly terrible he can be at times).

After Anfield we have two games that are more suited to PP and he should come straight back into the lineup again.
That's my worry as well.

We're obviously going to play a McFred midfield, so to have Pogba we'll have to play him on the left of a 4231 or diamond formation. In general that's been a bit hit and miss when we've done it and I'm not sure if it's a good tactic against Liverpool. I do think Ole will start him but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried.

Kostov

Now that was a Pogba performance we all want to see week in week out, even without the excellent goal, he was great and everywhere. MOTM for me.

Classical Mechanic

I’m someone who has often spoken against the demonisation of Paul Pogba and everything, and I think he was fantastic tonight - but I wouldn’t start him at Anfield.

Horses for courses, and he is not the best suited horse for that course I don’t think. We could start him on the left. But then we could start Rashford on the left, which would be better (as bafflingly terrible he can be at times).

After Anfield we have two games that are more suited to PP and he should come straight back into the lineup again.
A fair point. Burnley don't press anything like Liverpool. With Liverpool's high line you'd fancy Rashford on the left.

simplyared

Turf Moor on a Tuesday night in Jan and playing against a team who reminded me of a poor version of Leeds in the 70's. Never thought it would be the type of game he'd be up for. His overall contribution last night was key to us getting the 3pts. He orchestrated the win!

sugar_kane

He’s been absolutely class last few games

Ole deserves a lot of credit for his man management on this one, it looked like it was game over for Pogba here when his agent made that last set of comments.

Ole led with his head not his heart and backed the player, and here he is a few weeks on looking world class, motivated and winning games for us. Something he hadn’t done in a long time.

The rotation role suits him. Not being relied on every single game gives him the chance to shine in the games that suit his skillset. He totally controlled that game but I'd expect him benched against Liverpool as their high tempo will require Fred's presence.

I just hope this isn't him playing freely now he's got his move all agreed and the pressure is off. He's an asset to any team when he wants to be.

Coops73

Was really good last night my MOTM, worked hard and is a real asset in our box when defending set pieces.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Ole deserves a lot of credit for his man management on this one, it looked like it was game over for Pogba here when his agent made that last set of comments.

Ole led with his head not his heart and backed the player
, and here he is a few weeks on looking world class, motivated and winning games for us. Something he hadn’t done in a long time.
Well said. Many of our fans could do with that same emotion less approach to things

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Ole led with his head not his heart and backed the player, and here he is a few weeks on looking world class, motivated and winning games for us. Something he hadn’t done in a long time.
That's the one thing that is extremely impressive with Ole, the same seemed to be true for Matic and he managed to turn things around. I also suspect that we make too much of it from the outside, for all we know everything has always been under control from Ole's POV and Pogba isn't a disruptive character based on the informations that we have, even when he isn't in the right place he doesn't extend it to others.

Jonno

He's been playing excellent for ages. People have ignored it for a while, because of a number of things (transfer fee, his agent, the media-driven agenda).

He runs games without you knowing. His hold up play is the best in the league, he can shove 3 players off, stride forward and selflessly hand the ball to Bruno and he'll sit back again and then people will say "he's not scoring or assisting", or they'll retweet 1 bad touch or 1 moment he loses the ball in 90 mins.

People forget he had surgery on a year long ankle problem, he contracted and recovered from COVID.

Ole's management of him has been nothing short of brilliant. He picks him in games he thinks he is well-suited to, and doesn't play him in games where he isn't suited.

romufc

I have not seen this Pogba ever for Manutd. Yes in his first season he was really good but in the last 4/5 games he has been sensational.

He isn't making silly mistakes anymore, he is tracking back.

Pogba loves winning, if he can see us doing well he will motivate the players around him. We need his influence off the pitch to get these boys believing.

Hasn't Ole done a wonderful job with him?

Any other manager, he would be on the bench.

Sylar

Take away the goal, it was a superb performance. The goal and technique for it was brilliant and the icing. Him getting back and fighting towards the end to ensure we won was amazing.

Oles management of him and use of him post Raiolas comments has been so good too. Nobody would have complained if we didnt see Pogba playing / starting.

I wonder if Pogba gave Ole a really good dilemma for Sunday. If we were gonna not start him, but I think he has to start now. I see us going diamond with two up top (rashford and martial, who whilst not on form would make more sense if Pogba plays and we hit them on counters with pace)

Mainoldo

Good post. Pogba was not in free role tonight by any stretch of the imagination.
He was actually disciplined, made the most clearances I think?

The problem has always been Paul Pogbas mentality, not two man midfields, not not playing with Kante, not this manager or this manager, it’s always been him.
I still think these performances are him playing for a move but we’ll take it.
His best moments came when he left his defensive duties which is the whole point! We also look better when he’s in the final third not trying to ping 70/30 diagonals.

The Urban Goose

That's my worry as well.

We're obviously going to play a McFred midfield, so to have Pogba we'll have to play him on the left of a 4231 or diamond formation. In general that's been a bit hit and miss when we've done it and I'm not sure if it's a good tactic against Liverpool. I do think Ole will start him but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried.
On this form I'd play Pogba, Fred and McT with Rashford and Martial out wide and Bruno as a false 9. We can then bring Cav on to batter their CBs for the last 30 mins.

I've been a strong critic of Pogba for a while, but it's due to the infuriation of knowing he's capable of performances like this but not delivering while fluttering his eyelids elsewhere.

If he could maintain this form, keep his eyelids still and keep his agent quiet I'd be all for him staying. However past experience suggests that wouldn't happen.

Bondi77

He played well today and nice to see him getting stuck in against a physical side.
Good to see his MOTM performance was capped off with a nice goal and long may his form continue.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Ole has brought the United player out of Pogba. What ever was said or happened in or around early December, it is like he had a fire cracker lit up his arse and is determined to win with us now.

I dont buy this "putting himself in the shop window" bullshit. This is different. Players do that in the last few months of the season.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Ole has brought the United player out of Pogba. What ever was said or happened in or around early December, it is like he had a fire cracker lit up his arse and is determined to win with us now.

I dont buy this "putting himself in the shop window" bullshit. This is different. Players do that in the last few months of the season.
So right before and during a transfer window?

Judas

Open to offers
He was on it in that second half, just looked miles above everyone else on the pitch, and that's how good he can be at times. It's incredible to watch him play when he's on song.

Still wouldn't start him on Sunday though, not the sort of game that suits him, especially where Ole would likely play him, and he'd be a risky selection in my opinion.

Mike Smalling

This is want I want to see from Pogba when he plays the deeper role. Comfortably controlling play in the middle, breaking the lines with skill, power or precise passing and the occasional goal from outside the box or late runs. Great performance!

I'm a bit torn on Pogba. This version is brilliant, but there has been so many ups and downs, so you never know what we would get next season. Ultimately I hope he stays, but if he leaves for a fair fee, I could live with that as well.

Fluctuation0161

Yep you hide behind the top of the league comment. It’s okay.
Thanks, I will keep enjoying being top of league in January.

Strange post from you. I described Pogba as being lethal when he is focused and you have a hissy fit.

You may have some comprehension issues. Maybe read back on the posts, take a deep breath and have a think about what you have done.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You seriously wouldn't want to relegate the best player on form to the bench would you? Even after this performance tonight, it's unfair to him. He should be involved.
It isn’t unfair to him. The team comes first. It’s simply a ‘tactical decision’. IF he absolutely has to play - then Bruno should be dropped. Otherwise, pick a team that makes sense - and that isn’t Pogba in a double pivot at Anfield, or letting Liverpool off the hook by not having a proper winger up against Trent. Trent will also need to be chased back all game too. This is not PP’s strength.

Bring him on in the second half, and of course, start him against Fulham and Sheffield.

AFC NimbleThumb

Starting McFred automatically sets the tone that we have no intention to do anything in the midfield but run lots & hope we can punt a ball to the forwards on the counter attack.

Pool are a great side but we go into the game top of the league & it’s about time we start entering these games looking to ask questions instead of hoping to stifle.

Pool have issues in defence & starting Pogba would show some form of intent; I don’t understand why dropping a world class player in good form is so acceptable.

Pogba should operate in one of the 4 ‘attacking’ roles on Sunday, he’s earns the opportunity to prove himself on merit - if it goes t*ts up then judge him then.

We’ve tried the horses for courses b*llocks against the ‘big 6’ a few times this season & our results have been poor; we need to look to control parts of the game at Anfield & bar Bruno - no one else in Midfield is doing that on the ball better than Paul.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Starting McFred automatically sets the tone that we have no intention to do anything in the midfield but run lots & hope we can punt a ball to the forwards on the counter attack.

Pool are a great side but we go into the game top of the league & it’s about time we start entering these games looking to ask questions instead of hoping to stifle.

Pool have issues in defence & starting Pogba would show some form of intent; I don’t understand why dropping a world class player in good form is so acceptable.

Pogba should operate in one of the 4 ‘attacking’ roles on Sunday, he’s earns the opportunity to prove himself on merit - if it goes t*ts up then judge him then.

We’ve tried the horses for courses b*llocks against the ‘big 6’ a few times this season & our results have been poor; we need to look to control parts of the game at Anfield & bar Bruno - no one else in Midfield is doing that on the ball better than Paul.
You can rest assured he WILL be judged then, and the caf will be all to happy to do it.

And McFred doesn’t set the tone. Us playing 2 up front instead of 3 upfront would though. THAT is something I don’t want to see. But if we play 3 forwards and Bruno - Liverpool will have to respect that we have come there to pose a significant threat.

If we’re going to play Pogba, then drop Bruno.

Tbh it doesn’t even have to be McFred. We played Matic and Fred away at Anfield last season and controlled much of the game, especially in the second half. We just couldn’t pose any threat because we had Andreas Pereira playing as a 10, Brandon Williams playing wing back and Dan James up front with Martial, and three rubbish players in your attacking options will never scare Liverpool. Having a good shape with the right attacking quality should be enough - but the idea of not showing enough respect to Liverpool away is naive I think. If we play Pogba in a double pivot at Anfield it will be a mistake.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I have not seen this Pogba ever for Manutd. Yes in his first season he was really good but in the last 4/5 games he has been sensational.

He isn't making silly mistakes anymore, he is tracking back.

Pogba loves winning, if he can see us doing well he will motivate the players around him. We need his influence off the pitch to get these boys believing.

Hasn't Ole done a wonderful job with him?

Any other manager, he would be on the bench.
He looks fully fit, fully motivated and like a top player.

romufc

He looks fully fit, fully motivated and like a top player.
That's the thing with him, he is a winner so when the team is not doing well, he is not interested.

You can see from his attitude, he wants to win.

I’m sure we will play:

Pogba Fred McT Rashford

Bruno

Cavani

Pogba was great last night, but he can’t play in a 2 man midfield against a possession based side. He should play on the left.

How can you "call bollocks" when his agent has come out repeatedly and said he wants to leave!?

Wishful thinking?
No, I think he’s always extremely open to a move as I said @Fluctuation0161
But that he’s playing well to get a move is bollocks. He always tries to play well as he clearly loves football and his teammates.

If he could turn on & off that easily then obviously he would always have it turned on, we’d be miles better for it, and he’d be miles happier for it.

Last edited:

macheda14

That is just an agenda against him.

This is how I remember Pogba when he is happy and on form. He usually has this kind of performance when he is on song.

Since Mourinho's outburst, things have been bad for him, fans turning against him (that abuse he got at Old Trafford before the mourinho drama), and injuries.

Pogba has always been this good.
It’s not an agenda. How often has he played like this? This was an absolutely fantastic game from him, he was everywhere, he was committed in everything he did. He’s always been capable of this, but he hasn’t played like this too often this season or last, or the season prior, or the one before that.

I mean your post contradicts itself. ‘Pogba has always been this good, apart from when he wasn’t, but I remember him being this good’.

Clearly he’s a player that needs to be confident and happy to find his best form, which is why he’s considered leaving to find that happiness.

In contrast, Bruno would affect games regardless of his state of mind.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
So the question is, how much we should ask for this summer when we are finally selling him? Surely 50m would not be a problem now, when he is on that kind of form currently he is on, he is simply unplayable.

But, shouldn’t we ask for more?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Clearly he’s a player that needs to be confident and happy to find his best form, which is why he’s considered leaving to find that happiness.

In contrast, Bruno would affect games regardless of his state of mind.
Because he’s the penalty taker.

dal

I wish we get to see Pogba, Rashford and Greenwood as the front three in our next game as I believe it’s our best forward line at the moment. If not best then definitely most watchable.

I believe it is what we will see also, if Ole goes for Pogba in the middle again it’s risky against Liverpool, he must go wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.