Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I don't see Hannibal as being that player. For me, he's a Pogba-lite though not as complete (though who is?).

Any three of Garner, Levitt or Galbraith could do that job but I think it depends on how they progress beyond the loan spells in the case of the first two, and into next season in the case of the latter. An experienced head in that position would be the best purchase, but after Matic's contract last year, I think we're going to push through until he's in the last year of his contract.

Who knows, maybe our long-term plan isn't a 4-3-3, but instead a 4-2-3-1 with a mobile, high energy pivot with quality on and off the ball?
I don’t see him as a Carrick or Pirlo, no - but I don’t see him as a 10. I see him as an 8 who will get involved on the ball all over the pitch and have the quality to pop a pass off long or short or skip around one or two when he gets it. This keeps us moving all the time. This is what Pogba offers us that the others don’t. I see Hannibal as that type potentially, but no, not the same profile as say, Garner.

I want a midfielder who will have the highest amount of touches/passes in the team most games. This is Pogba typically. He is trusted to receive it and share it all over the pitch. Would anyone be comfortable if we came out of most games with Fred or McTominay having the most touches in our team? It isn’t the recipe for a high quality team for me.

rotherham_red

I don’t see him as a Carrick or Pirlo, no - but I don’t see him as a 10. I see him as an 8 who will get involved on the ball all over the pitch and have the quality to pop a pass off long or short or skip around one or two when he gets it. This keeps us moving all the time. This is what Pogba offers us that the others don’t. I see Hannibal as that type potentially, but no, not the same profile as say, Garner.

I want a midfielder who will have the highest amount of touches/passes in the team most games. This is Pogba typically. He is trusted to receive it and share it all over the pitch. Would anyone be comfortable if we came out of most games with Fred or McTominay having the most touches in our team? It isn’t the recipe for a high quality team for me.
Yeah, I agree, but Pogba in a pivot isn't as strong as he would be as a purer 8 in a 3 man midfield. Like you say, Hannibal is of that ilk but I wouldn't necessarily have him as a player to play in a pivot either. Or at least not yet.

I agree that we want someone who is dominant there, but if, as I suspect, we're going to be going down the route of a double pivot, then we'd need that player to have the requisite quality off the ball as well as on it. Pogba, for me is too up and down in his application off the ball for it to be anything more than a sticking plaster. I'd say Saul would be the perfect fit for that position.

Handré1990

Tbh, I do worry whether we are actually looking for this type. We’re rarely said to be interested in this type of player. It’s either a hard running defensive type or a number 10 who can make a difference - but very rarely are we said to be simply looking for a midfielder who can do some darn ‘midfielding’. Except the occasional links to Saúl perhaps.

I just want someone who occupies the considerable midfield space behind Bruno who is comfortable on the ball, happy to be the person who has the most touches of the ball in our team in all areas who can manipulate it 5 yards and not just 40. We need a midfielder who can play the short game I think, someone with intricacy who can evade the press.

What I’d give for Frenkie De Jong! Or a Verratti who can stay fit. Or if we’re dreaming - Paul Scholes! I think our midfield options bar Pogba are more about moments to decide a game rather than control it.
Excellent post! It has been and still is detrimental to our ability to really dominate and control games. On all levels. Against any team. All the best teams have this imo.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yeah, I agree, but Pogba in a pivot isn't as strong as he would be as a purer 8 in a 3 man midfield. Like you say, Hannibal is of that ilk but I wouldn't necessarily have him as a player to play in a pivot either. Or at least not yet.

I agree that we want someone who is dominant there, but if, as I suspect, we're going to be going down the route of a double pivot, then we'd need that player to have the requisite quality off the ball as well as on it. Pogba, for me is too up and down in his application off the ball for it to be anything more than a sticking plaster. I'd say Saul would be the perfect fit for that position.
Agree with every word of that, including your shout for Saúl. I still prefer the 433 to the 4231 personally, although I can’t see that happening now with Bruno here. I feel it is a contributing factor to out lack of control over a football match. Bruno is a nominal midfielder, and we don’t have enough players close enough to each other in the middle of the park to make keeping the ball easier. As a result, all of our passes seem to be 15-20 yards in midfield, which of course makes them more likely to be intercepted or simply be inaccurate than a 7 yard pass.

We could still play with the orthodox 10 and retain control if we were looking to do what Pep does and bring a full back inside when in possession. This would suit Luke Shaw perfectly I think.

laughtersassassin

Thinking of challenging for the title with a midfield of McTominay/Fred next year is delusional. A Pogba replacement is as important as a dominant CB or a top striker
Someone with sense on here.

A Pogba replacement is vital.

But if we can get a DM with a really good passing ability that can be the Pogba replacement.

rotherham_red

Agree with every word of that, including your shout for Saúl. I still prefer the 433 to the 4231 personally, although I can’t see that happening now with Bruno here. I feel it is a contributing factor to out lack of control over a football match. Bruno is a nominal midfielder, and we don’t have enough players close enough to each other in the middle of the park to make keeping the ball easier. As a result, all of our passes seem to be 15-20 yards in midfield, which of course makes them more likely to be intercepted or simply be inaccurate than a 7 yard pass.

We could still play with the orthodox 10 and retain control if we were looking to do what Pep does and bring a full back inside when in possession. This would suit Luke Shaw perfectly I think.
Definitely, and likewise I agree with what you've just said as well, particularly on the formation and the potential of Shaw being an inverted fullback with a 10. The 4-3-3 is the perfect system for us, but for one reason or another Ole has shied away from playing it ever since Herrera intimated he was off to pastures new.

I was hoping that we would start to change that this season, but it hasn't happened. For me, I still have hope that Garner is the long-term replacement for Matic (though probably still a year or so away from really staking a claim), as I think he has it within him to have a near enough complete skillset as the 6/8 hybrid in either a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. I think a midfield pivot of Garner-Mejbri in the long-term would cover pretty much every base and every tactical setup we could want to play.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Thinking of challenging for the title with a midfield of McTominay/Fred next year is delusional. A Pogba replacement is as important as a dominant CB or a top striker
Whatever happens with Pogba, we need to prepare for a future without Matic. Who has been just as influential as Pogba at times these last couple of seasons.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Who knows, maybe our long-term plan isn't a 4-3-3, but instead a 4-2-3-1 with a mobile, high energy pivot with quality on and off the ball?
I think that's quite clearly the case. Bruno is perfectly suited to #10 and it's obviously working, so we're not going to change that aspect of the team. That means that the other two midfielders will both sit deeper and should be both solid defensively (which we normally get with McFred although they can be caught out positionally at times) and solid on the ball. The latter is obviously where McFred struggles - we can probably fit one of them in the midfield if they are partnered by somebody who has more ability on the ball but both of them together obviously has a weakness. McTominay in particular, although he has shown recent improvements and I hope that it continues.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Whatever happens with Pogba, we need to prepare for a future without Matic. Who has been just as influential as Pogba at times these last couple of seasons.
Think it’s more of a present without Matic than a future. He’s not been a serious option this season really.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Need him back ASAP. Our only midfielder who is good at advancing play to a high level.
He’s also been improving the defensive side lately which is good to see as it makes it easier to not have to compromise on playing him in the centre.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He’s also been improving the defensive side lately which is good to see as it makes it easier to not have to compromise on playing him in the centre.
He's absolutely been putting in a shift defensively, but for me it's about getting on the ball and making things happen in midfield and in that regard he's without question head and shoulders above the rest in midfield. He's a lock picker that we badly miss when he's not in the team IMO.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Team has gone to complete shit without him, as painful as it is to admit.

Sooner he's back, the better. Push us to top 4 and FA Cup and then part ways, somewhat amicably.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Team has gone to complete shit without him, as painful as it is to admit.

Sooner he's back, the better. Push us to top 4 and FA Cup and then part ways, somewhat amicably.
It hasn't gone to complete shit without him. The same defensive issues that cost us games were with him and without him. Likewise most of the front three bar Rashford, Cavani, and recently James, being crap was the same too.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
It hasn't gone to complete shit without him. The same defensive issues that cost us games were with him and without him. Likewise most of the front three bar Rashford, Cavani, and recently James, being crap was the same too.
Yeah thought so

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Yeah I wouldn't say complete shit but in attack we look a little less dangerous without him.

always_hoping

Ole said after tonight game that Pogba is still a few weeks away from returning to action.

Looks like West ham March 14th at the earliest before he returns?

Bwuk

Beggars belief that some people used to think our midfield would be better without him.

We miss him badly.

laughtersassassin

Since the second Pogba got injured against Everton we have been struggling badly.

If he is leaving replacing him will be our most important but if business this summer.

That's not to say the other problem positions can be neglected. If we want to improve they'll all have to be looked at.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Since the second Pogba got injured against Everton we have been struggling badly.

If he is leaving replacing him will be our most important but if business this summer.

That's not to say the other problem positions can be neglected. If we want to improve they'll all have to be looked at.
It is worrying that we seem to be looking at everyone except midfielders. It is worrying that Ole reportedly has an issue with every other area of the team except the centre of midfield. It’s the worst area of the team for me, if not in terms of personnel - then in set up. Losing Pogba and going it with Fred and McTominay as first choice will not take us to any title. If we have no designs on buying another midfielder, then Pogba simply must be made to stay this summer, even if that means him leaving for nothing. Ideally, we’d be bringing in a midfielder even of he signed a new deal - but resources likely won’t be spent there, so he must at least be kept.

RedDevilzFox

Beggars belief that some people used to think our midfield would be better without him.

We miss him badly.
With the right player that WANTS to be here, yes, I think our MF can be better.

What is your big idea anyway? Give him a big sloppy kiss and a large raise for contract renewal and spend next 5 years wondering what happened to the "world class" player while Raiola tells us we're lucky to have him and reminds us every other month how PP should leave??

Litch

I like Pogs but not for us and people are having selective memories if they think he's the difference. Where's he been for most of this season bar a few games?

Litch

It is worrying that we seem to be looking at everyone except midfielders. It is worrying that Ole reportedly has an issue with every other area of the team except the centre of midfield. It’s the worst area of the team for me, if not in terms of personnel - then in set up. Losing Pogba and going it with Fred and McTominay as first choice will not take us to any title. If we have no designs on buying another midfielder, then Pogba simply must be made to stay this summer, even if that means him leaving for nothing. Ideally, we’d be bringing in a midfielder even of he signed a new deal - but resources likely won’t be spent there, so he must at least be kept.
Really? Not sure I've seen maybe games where McFred has lost us games but I can think of a few that others have cost us them. Someone please tell me how with Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, Bruno isn't enough to score enough goals to win games.

laughtersassassin

With the right player that WANTS to be here, yes, I think our MF can be better.

What is your big idea anyway? Give him a big sloppy kiss and a large raise for contract renewal and spend next 5 years wondering what happened to the "world class" player while Raiola tells us we're lucky to have him and reminds us every other month how PP should leave??
That not what he said is it

laughtersassassin

Really? Not sure I've seen maybe games where McFred has lost us games but I can think of a few that others have cost us them. Someone please tell me how with Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, Bruno isn't enough to score enough goals to win games.
McFred is not good enough. If Pogba goes and we don't replace him we will regress. Simple as.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
That midfield doesn't do enough on the ball to get them the ball in situations where they can be more dangerous. The passing from midfield is not ambitious enough and they don't switch play enough either (I mean this with one pass not relying on 3 passes to get the ball to the other side)

We score plenty of goals this season to your last point, but it's also clear we struggle at certain points and against certain setups.

1. A low block where we need more creativity from the CMs and fullbacks (this was temporarily resolved when Pogba was fit)
2. Big sides that tend to want to dominate the midfield possession against us (pretty evident this season), we can only really rely on the counter here because our CMs are not offering enough quality on the ball. (Bruno too high and Pogba out wide, Martial/Rashford often having to come deep to pick up the ball)

laughtersassassin

I didn't say he did. I am just asking what his big idea is? Or yours for that matter.
It's simple. Right now we are better with Pogba. If he is going he must be replaced and replaced very well.

And that is on top of doing the necessary business like CB and or a Striker. No excuses not to do it when we wasted last summer.

If we where to let Pogba leave this summer and not sign a midfielder it would be an absolute joke. Would be like not replacing Lukaku but 10 times worse.

So if the club has no plan to replace him just keep him till the end of his contract. Raiola ain't that disruptive and Pogba himself isn't disruptive at all.

RedDevilzFox

It's simple. Right now we are better with Pogba. If he is going he must be replaced and replaced very well.

And that is on top of doing the necessary business like CB and or a Striker. No excuses not to do it when we wasted last summer.

If we where to let Pogba leave this summer and not sign a midfielder it would be an absolute joke. Would be like not replacing Lukaku but 10 times worse.
Of course we will need another MF. Or we can use that guy we bought we forgot, yeah DVDB. Its a COVID world, I think we may buy 1 player, if that.

laughtersassassin

Of course we will need another MF. Or we can use that guy we bought we forgot, yeah DVDB. Its a COVID world, I think we may buy 1 player, if that.
Van De Beek to replace Pogba. My word...

So people want a midfield without a single player who can switch the play constantly or do a through ball.

VDB isn't trusted to play with Pogba out.

So in your scenario yes we would just be regressing.

So we may as well keep Pogba then for the last year.

Bwuk

Van De Beek to replace Pogba. My word...

So people want a midfield without a single player who can switch the play constantly or do a through ball.

VDB isn't trusted to play with Pogba out.

So in your scenario yes we would just be regressing.

So we may as well keep Pogba then for the last year.
Spot on.

I'd rather Pogba stayed and left on a free next summer than rely on VdB to replace him.

Fred/McTominay/Matic/VdB isn't winning us the title.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Spot on.

I'd rather Pogba stayed and left on a free next summer than rely on VdB to replace him.

Agree

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

Question is who do we replace him with? Even the most unlikely of targets like Niguez ain't going to replace what Pogba can when he's on it (which fair play isn't often)

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Sancho would go a long way to making up for Pogbas absence. Not same position but he contributes lots to build up, ball progression and lots to creativity. He'd have a bigger impact as an addition on our right wing than Pogba would in our midfield 2 without a right wing addition IMO. Of course for further progression, need creativity in midfield. Ideally, we'd buy Sancho, keep Pogba and sign a quality defensive mid like Ndidi who we know is elite at the defensive side of things and can cover Pogba/Bruno properly. That midfield with Sancho/Rashford on the wings would absolutely be good enough to win whatever competition we're in, provided the manager can get them going properly.

Problem with Pogba is he can't be relied upon to be fit for more then 2/3 of a season, which is really shit.

Litch

McFred is not good enough. If Pogba goes and we don't replace him we will regress. Simple as.
Were they good enough when we were beating top six teams before lockdown without Pogs? Where has Pogs influence been since he came for us not to regress?

Litch

Spot on.

So Pogs staying will win us the title. Where's he been for the last X years then? Sorry we have a fantastic defence and attack but all our problems are in the midfield that stopping us from being better than City and Liverpool, and not being 20 points behind them. Have you seen Liverpools midfield? Do you think anyone's paying 50m for any of them but they have PL and CL medals....maybe it's the sum of all their parts.

Bwuk

So Pogs staying will win us the title. Where's he been for the last X years then? Sorry we have a fantastic defence and attack but all our problems are in the midfield that stopping us from being better than City and Liverpool, and not being 20 points behind them. Have you seen Liverpools midfield? Do you think anyone's paying 50m for any of them but they have PL and CL medals....maybe it's the sum of all their parts.
No but I'd fancy our chances of winning the title a lot more with Pogba in the side than without him.

Litch

No but I'd fancy our chances of winning the title a lot more with Pogba in the side than without him.
Yep, more chance of me getting to the moon if I'm jumping from a step ladder but still doesn't mean I'll get there. It seems with Pogs people have amnesia about what has actually gone on before it. I suspect the recent upturn in his performances are cause he's been told he can leave in the summer but you put all your eggs in that basket....

Status
Not open for further replies.