6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwuk

Played far too deep. Think after the Leicester horror show from Fred Ole probably wanted Pogba to be the one to pick the ball up from deep.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If he's playing in a midfield two, he needs to be playing left side. Looked rusty, but glad to have him back.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Good to have him back today. Wasn’t great but gave us control of the game for the most part. Great pass to Bruno and generally kept it simple. As ever gets criticised for the teams performance.

Red00012

2 years since his last goal at Old Trafford is a shocking stat for a player of his calibre

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I can't get my head around the idea of Pogba in midfield. He basically has two modes:
1) roaming around contributing to "small game". He takes positions around the box (where he is most dangerous) but it effectively leaves us with one man midfield. This setup lacks balance and it's difficult to chase a counter attack.
2) he stays in deep midfield doing the simple stuff really - like somebody mentioned his typical France performance. His general level in that position is OK, nothing amazing but when his passing is off like today, he's pretty much Fred level.

I've stated many times - we should sell him and look for an actual midfielder or switch to 4-3-3.

mancan92

The pass I don't see as his fault if the ref moves out of the way Fred moves onto that ball into space. The ref just stands there and causes Fred to have to wait

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
He's a player that plays football, he plays for a club and that club is Manchester United.

Sylar

His first assist this season?

The pass I don't see as his fault if the ref moves out of the way Fred moves onto that ball into space. The ref just stands there and causes Fred to have to wait
That's how I saw it, it's a standard pass that the ref gets in the way off

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Lost our grip on the game when he was replaced.
McTom and Beek really need to step up, especially if Pogba gets his wish in the summer.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Bit of a YouTube performance, did well in flashes but didn’t stand out over the 80+ minutes he played, still need more from him.

Mainoldo

Everything would click if we just played 4-3-3.

The double pivot abs him on the left.. just compensates this. Do us all a favour and put him on the left of a 3 man midfield.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

The double pivot abs him on the left.. just compensates this. Do us all a favour and put him on the left of a 3 man midfield.
I'd love to see this at some point and hope that we do when top 4 is secure. I don't think Ole has a lot of confidence in certain players in certain positions. Bruno as an 8 and DvB as a 6/8 are things a lot of fans would like to see how they work, but they've not been used there at all this season.

Mainoldo

I'd love to see this at some point and hope that we do when top 4 is secure. I don't think Ole has a lot of confidence in certain players in certain positions. Bruno as an 8 and DvB as a 6/8 are things a lot of fans would like to see how they work, but they've not been used there at all this season.
The balance would be perfect.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I can't get my head around the idea of Pogba in midfield. He basically has two modes:
1) roaming around contributing to "small game". He takes positions around the box (where he is most dangerous) but it effectively leaves us with one man midfield. This setup lacks balance and it's difficult to chase a counter attack.
2) he stays in deep midfield doing the simple stuff really - like somebody mentioned his typical France performance. His general level in that position is OK, nothing amazing but when his passing is off like today, he's pretty much Fred level.

I've stated many times - we should sell him and look for an actual midfielder or switch to 4-3-3.
Does Bruno suit a 433? He seems to operate really high up the pitch and focus on scoring/creating. I do prefer that formation to the 4231 anyday. It usually requires at least two midfielders to be good on the ball and you can't get away with two limited CMs pissing about contributing feck all going forwards.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Would like to see it tried but VDB needs to show that he's starter material at least before Ole has enough faith to change formations using him.

P-Nut

I think so too as Bruno tracks back all game anyways, it's just whether he'd push as high when we do have the ball.

In all honesty I think formations are overstated a lot of the time, especially in those midfield areas. With sustained possession a 4231 becomes very similar to a 433 as we saw yesterday with Fred being on the same line as Maguire and Lindelof a lot of the time, whilst Bruno and Pogba were moving around the edge of the box and the other 5 were in the positions they always take up.

P-Nut

Would like to see it tried but VDB needs to show that he's starter material at least before Ole has enough faith to change formations using him.
Yeah I agree, but it's also for that reason I'd like to see him in the CM positions as I don't think he'll ever add enough in the 10 position.

Marwood

Yeah I've been saying for a while he's not a centre midfielder. Not one that plays in a two anyway.

I don't think he's got the legs or speed over short distances to close down. He's not good enough defensively(except in the air). Nor do I think his short passing game is good enough. Generally he doesn't have the mindset for it.

I'd much prefer to see him further up the pitch, either rotating with Bruno or in one of the wide positions.

Although admittedly that still leaves us a little short of creativity in centre mid.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Does Bruno suit a 433? He seems to operate really high up the pitch and focus on scoring/creating. I do prefer that formation to the 4231 anyday. It usually requires at least two midfielders to be good on the ball and you can't get away with two limited CMs pissing about contributing feck all going forwards.
He didnt always play like this, he played as a CM very often for Sporting based on my memory and transfermarkt. I think when Bruno first came, he and Pogba shared the load after the restart for a short while. I think he has much more to contribute in our build up and getting the ball in the final third, even if other players take on the task from there.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I’m going to go against the grain. I don’t think he played fantastically well and did give some poor passes away but what I love about him is he never hides from the ball. He’s always available, he’s very strong on the ball and always able to find one or two world class passes in a games. I thought his mentality and intensity was good throughout. The other thing he does very well is getting into the box for crosses. It didn’t pay off for us today but he disrupts the back line and forces midfielders to drop deeper than they are comfortable to challenge him in the box. He’s still such a key player in games where we have to dominate.

RedIan

Was far from his best, sloppy passing and poor first touch in teh first half.. He gave the ball away for the Brighton goal . Looked a little rusty to me. that said he still had some decent moments, though his assist was a miss hit cross.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I don't think this will be an issue, there is multiple "ways" we can play 433. For example, what would suit us the most is Bruno behind Rashford and Greenwood. The former plays everywhere from midfield to attack, and the latter two are not really wide that suit 4231. Adding one more midfielder makes us much more balanced although we should probably use Matic as single Pivot supported 2 of Pogba/Fred/McTominay/van de Beek.

There are two benefits to that:
Firstly, Shaw can join the attack as we will always have someone to cover him.
Secondly, neither of our forwards is in form currently co we probably can drop one to be more balanced side.

Ole never plays 3 man midfield though.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
2 years since his last goal at Old Trafford is a shocking stat for a player of his calibre
To be fair he's been injured for a huge period of that time. He's only played 24.6 matches worth of minutes at home since his last goal (in all competitions). Obviously you'd still expect him to have scored in that time, but it's not like he's played 50+ games over the two years.

Highfather_24

We dont have a single proper DM to play a 4-3-3. McTominay/Fred dont work as lone 6s. Matic doesnt have the legs for it anymore. All 3 of them are better in a midfield 2. To compensate for their weakness, we got for a 2 man midfield.

VdB and Pogba are more suited to playing in a 4-3-3. Bruno is versatile and can play both as an attacking 8 and as a 10.

Mainoldo

We dont have a single proper DM to play a 4-3-3. McTominay/Fred dont work as lone 6s. Matic doesnt have the legs for it anymore. All 3 of them are better in a midfield 2. To compensate for their weakness, we got for a 2 man midfield.

VdB and Pogba are more suited to playing in a 4-3-3. Bruno is versatile and can play both as an attacking 8 and as a 10.
Fred can do it the same way we have him Pogba and McTominay trying to do it together. Just get 1 of them doing it whilst the rest can play their favourite still. Fred; McTominay; Pogba, VDB and Bruno can all play 8. Yet we play with two 6’s.

romufc

How? Where would Bruno play in that formation? His best position for us has been in the 10 role, so why would you want to change formation to accommodate Pogba who doesnt want to be here?

Mainoldo

How? Where would Bruno play in that formation? His best position for us has been in the 10 role, so why would you want to change formation to accommodate Pogba who doesnt want to be here?
Bruno is an 8 and has always been an 8. We only changed him to a 10 because of his GA numbers and it had paid off. It doesn’t actually add to a balanced footballing side. If we want to win the major trophies it would mean Bruno dropping back to an 8. He has the skill set for it and it would in no way reduce his assist. He might not get as many goals but so what.

romufc

Bruno is an 8 and has always been an 8. We only changed him to a 10 because of his GA numbers and it had paid off. It doesn’t actually add to a balanced footballing side. If we want to win the major trophies it would mean Bruno dropping back to an 8. He has the skill set for it and it would in no way reduce his assist. He might not get as many goals but so what.
I don't think a Bruno Pogba midfield can compete without a top class DM. We would someone of the ilk of Casemeiro, Fabinho, Fernandinho, Kimmich for that to work.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I don't think a Bruno Pogba midfield can compete without a top class DM. We would someone of the ilk of Casemeiro, Fabinho, Fernandinho, Kimmich for that to work.
Agree

Infra-red

He's surely leaving in a couple of months anyway, so this won't be our problem for much longer.

The focus should be on constructing a much better double pivot to play in behind Bruno in Ole's 4-2-3-1.

Mainoldo

Yep it wouldn’t against City, Liverpool. Anyone else it’s not an issue. What are protecting against a team like Brighton for instance. Stop being negative. We keep the ball it’s not a problem at all.

Highfather_24

Fred can do it the same way we have him Pogba and McTominay trying to do it together. Just get 1 of them doing it whilst the rest can play their favourite still. Fred; McTominay; Pogba, VDB and Bruno can all play 8. Yet we play with two 6’s.
They can all play 8s, but almost none of them can play the lone 6. If you play Fred/McT as the lone 6, we are left very open defensively(as tried in Ole's first season). Also since they are not good at bringing ball out from the defence, they get harried and we cannot build up attacks. That's why we need two 6s, to share that responsibility.

romufc

He's surely leaving in a couple of months anyway, so this won't be our problem for much longer.

The focus should be on constructing a much better double pivot to play in behind Bruno in Ole's 4-2-3-1.
Exactly, there is no point trying to work on a formation for someone who doesn't want to be here.

The thing that frustrates me is that people think playing 4-2-3-1 is defensive. Its actually not, if we can get a DLM who can win the ball back, then we can play a box to box alongside him.

romufc

Yep it wouldn’t against City, Liverpool. Anyone else it’s not an issue. What are protecting against a team like Brighton for instance. Stop being negative. We keep the ball it’s not a problem at all.
I don't care who we are playing against, you need a top quality DM.

This is why Liverpool look better with Fabinho in midfield. This is why Bayern have Kimmich, Real have Casemeiro.

Every successful team over the last decade has a world class DM. So its not negative, its about maintaining pressure and keeping the ball.

Mainoldo

I don't care who we are playing against, you need a top quality DM.

This is why Liverpool look better with Fabinho in midfield. This is why Bayern have Kimmich, Real have Casemeiro.

Every successful team over the last decade has a world class DM. So its not negative, its about maintaining pressure and keeping the ball.
They may look better but they still played 433. Which is the whole point as it utilises most of there players.. similar with us. How it makes sense to reshuffle a pack which means 2 players are playing out of position instead of just 1.

Did you watch Real Madrid against Liverpool? If you did tell me exactly what Casemario was doing in that midfield? He wasn’t deep line playmaking.

I swear. People need to watch more football instead of taking rubbish.

Mainoldo

They can all play 8s, but almost none of them can play the lone 6. If you play Fred/McT as the lone 6, we are left very open defensively(as tried in Ole's first season). Also since they are not good at bringing ball out from the defence, they get harried and we cannot build up attacks. That's why we need two 6s, to share that responsibility.
We have a 6 his name is Matic. We gave him a 2 year contract extension.

romufc

They may look better but they still played 433. Which is the whole point as it utilises most of there players.. similar with us. How it makes sense to reshuffle a pack which means 2 players are playing out of position instead of just 1.

Did you watch Real Madrid against Liverpool? If you did tell me exactly what Casemario was doing in that midfield? He wasn’t deep line playmaking.

I swear. People need to watch more football instead of taking rubbish.

And some people need to learn how to read...
"I don't care who we are playing against, you need a top quality DM"

In Footballing terms DM means Defensive Midfielder, which is exactly what Casemeiro is and the position he played. Kroos is the DLP for them.

Now, if you really want to go into it, Bruno at 10 is getting 23 goals 14 assists.

Kroos and Modric combined in a 4-3-3 have 5 goals 16 assists.

Status
Not open for further replies.