6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig Ward

Always in a 3 with virtually no defensive responsibility though.

For France he had Kante next to him and Matuidi tucking in from wide to do defensive work. For Juventus he had Pirlo and Marchisio.
So he does play centrally? Regardless of how well he does or how much responsibility other players take for him - he is a central player

But only a central player if his 2 pals in midfield do all the work yeah?

jackal&hyde

“We”

“PPUnited”

I’m conflicted.
Yeah. He stays I think but he better sign a new contract or else if I was Ole I would start to marginalize him.

Keeping the core of players united is essential and that is difficult if one of the main ones is uncertain. We let go of Lukaku and Sanchez for these reasons.

Sign the contract Paul!

So he does play centrally? Regardless of how well he does or how much responsibility other players take for him - he is a central player

But only a central player if his 2 pals in midfield do all the work yeah?
Yes. He's unplayable when he's got adequate cover to allow him to roam freely. Like i say, we knew what we were buying, so why do we expect anything different now?

Hammondo

Yeah. He stays I think but he better sign a new contract or else if I was Ole I would start to marginalize him.

Keeping the core of players united is essential and that is difficult if one of the main ones is uncertain. We let go of Lukaku and Sanchez for these reasons.

Sign the contract Paul!
I think we can be better without him.

Dante

Average bang
I'm sure he's staying at the club as things stand. But that's only if nothing significant changes.

If he has a barnstorming World Cup, either Real or PSG will put in a massive bid to buy him.

Red_toad

I'm sure he's staying at the club as things stand. But that's only if nothing significant changes.

If he has a barnstorming World Cup, either Real or PSG will put in a massive bid to buy him.
He’ll already be tapped up for next summer.

jackal&hyde

I think this is Raiola's problem. No way does a player like Pogba go to PSG to play in the French league (no offence) and Real don't have the cash for him, plus they look worse then United with all the old players they have and Zidane is gone. A new contract is the only option.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Looks like he will stay and let his contract run down.
Yep. Raiola knows no one would pay our asking price this summer and is already licking his lips at the prospect of the fat commission fee next year.

I suppose most clubs would happily pay him 20+ million so they can get someone like Pogba on a free.

Craig Ward

Yes. He's unplayable when he's got adequate cover to allow him to roam freely. Like i say, we knew what we were buying, so why do we expect anything different now?
He's never displayed "unplayable" for in his time for us. He's been woefully inconsistent with glimpses of how good he could be.

We signed a central midfield player who on current form cannot play the position and has been tried at wide forward.

5 seasons he's been here and it's not worked out. He needs to move on, we will be better off without him

lex talionis

Brilliant, but mercurial. If a deal can be done, sell him to Real or PSG. We’ll take a loss, but we need more consistency even if that means sacrificing peak quality.

MattofManchester

He's never displayed "unplayable" for in his time for us
I'm in the "sell him" boat, but Ole's interim period where he played as an advanced 8 in the 3(Herrera and Matic), he really was just about unplayable.
Largely responsible for that long run of form we had.

Redlyn

Sign the contract Paul!
If he wants out he will leave either this summer for a fee or next one for free. If the season starts and he hasn't signed we are fecked. We can decide to not play him, but not really sure it helps anything apart from wasting his last year.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
There is a video on twitter or reddit showing Cavani just sprinting past him during the final. Sums him up. Terrific talent, but cannot work hard enough.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
No one player did himself any justice and Pogba wasn't up to the standards we rightly expect from him.

However
pogba had more touches than any of the rest of the front 6, and made more passes.

He had 100 touches, 87 passes (87%); mctominay had 92 touches, and 58 passes (63%).

in other words, he did a much better job of getting the ball and moving it on than mctominay, though most people would say that the scot was great, and the frenchman sh!t, just because of a few surging runs from the former.

pogba also made as many successful long passes as the rest of our front 5 combined, and made more interceptions than anyone on the pitch, from either side. he also made one "key pass", whereas bruno made none at all.

he successfully completed 8 of 11 long balls - the rest of the front 5 were 8 from 17 - yet as is often the case all the focus is on the 3, not the 8.

pogba didn't have a great game, but i honestly don't know what people were watching to say that he was awful, or worse than bruno (whose big game record is truly woeful).
Amen. Pure agenda.

Redo91

He's never displayed "unplayable" for in his time for us. He's been woefully inconsistent with glimpses of how good he could be.

We signed a central midfield player who on current form cannot play the position and has been tried at wide forward.

5 seasons he's been here and it's not worked out. He needs to move on, we will be better off without him
Well this is just wrong. He’s been unplayable at times just not on a consistent basis.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I’ll be stunned if the club let him go for free. Swap deal can still happen.

But if he stays then that’s Ole first thing he needs to make decision, whether using him on the left or in the double pivot. He needs to know what he wants to do with Pogba first in his team.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I remember those posts. I remember @Pogue Mahone and a few others before coming with the ‘yea but when was the last open play goal’ regarding Pogba when he scored a few pens and downplaying his statistical contribution. Even when played in a midfield two for most of that time. Or it was ‘okay, when was the last at Old Trafford’ - with the stadium taking on more importance then! I don’t think Bruno has scored more league goals in open play than Pogba this year, and PP was out injured for a month.

What will be interesting to see is, as time passes, how this season is reported. Doubtlessly, it will be ‘couple of good games and months of dreadful performances’ once the facts become hazy.
Oh there’s absolutely no doubt how it will be reported. There’s just always been such a negative narrative around Pogba. It’s almost like every other player is judged on their performance good, bad, indifferent and Pogba is judged on the failing of the team. Games like West Ham away this season, first half he was our best player but we were losing 1-0 so the narrative was that he’d been abysmal, exactly the same happened on Wednesday in that he did his job, was one of our better players, admitted faded towards the end and was rightly subbed. So we lost the final and he was subbed equated to abysmal. Just extrapolate that over the season, it’s what everyone will do.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
People were expecting something that isn’t his game and our team just isn’t set up to cover anymore. He’s not a box to box midfielder. He’s admitted himself he can’t defend. Perfectly good as the most attacking of the 3 or put him on the left he only really needs to track back as far as half way or so and he can create space and danger. There’s a constant obsession on here with our central midfielders creating chances which drives me nuts. “Pogba in the middle and we create loads more” and so on…. In our system we have the full backs attacking and the midfielders cover them. Bruno does all the creating once our midfield get it to him as fast as possible. That’s why Fred and McT work well in this context.They enable Bruno to be as wasteful as he is. If Pogba went running up the pitch past Bruno and beat 2 players and was robbed and they scored he’d rightly be slated so he can’t really win unless he’s perfect.

I thought he played the role ok. It’s not really productive to keep swapping players positions around the way Ole insists on doing. He was doing good on the left. happy out, sign the thing and all that. Just when it looked like Rashford had majorly hit the wall too. What good luck for us…. Why not finally play Donny in there with McT, Pogba left and Rashford on the bench to come on and grab the glory giving everything for the last 30 minutes if he must play? It’s just poor and confusing management all round by the end of the season. Maybe it has to do with a lack of progress on the contract. Who fecking knows at this stage…
Yep...this has literally happened at times. He gets stick for losing the ball when he attempts to get us going forward for a midfield role (Wolves, Crystal Palace etc) and he gets slated if he doesn’t do that and the team doesn’t win. Regardless of his actual performance

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
with Zidane leaving RM i’d say his desire of joining RM will be lowered significantly.

United Irishman

Torn on this. I was delighted when we resigned Pogba. Thought he was gonna be immense. He hasn't been. I don't dislike him and I think he'd be phenomenal if his heart was in it and had the right blend with him in midfield.

However, think this summer is the right time to go. He doesn't fit in United's team in the current set up. Don't think his long term position is playing high up off the left. He's has had loads of opportunities to prove he can play in the pivot and Bruno is more effective as the 10. He has had some fantastic spells this season and I think he's technically, United's most talented player.

Ideally United need two new players to replace McFred. They can be useful squad players. I'd reluctantly let Pogba go if we can anywhere over £45m. Think Pogba's situation may be the key to the whole window.

Regardless of what happens with Pogba I think a 6 is as important as any other signing. We're painfully uncomfortable in possession in that position. What we decide to do with Pogba might influence the type of 6 we go after.

Reactions: Sultan

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
No one player did himself any justice and Pogba wasn't up to the standards we rightly expect from him.

However
pogba had more touches than any of the rest of the front 6, and made more passes.

He had 100 touches, 87 passes (87%); mctominay had 92 touches, and 58 passes (63%).

in other words, he did a much better job of getting the ball and moving it on than mctominay, though most people would say that the scot was great, and the frenchman sh!t, just because of a few surging runs from the former.

pogba also made as many successful long passes as the rest of our front 5 combined, and made more interceptions than anyone on the pitch, from either side. he also made one "key pass", whereas bruno made none at all.

he successfully completed 8 of 11 long balls - the rest of the front 5 were 8 from 17 - yet as is often the case all the focus is on the 3, not the 8.

pogba didn't have a great game, but i honestly don't know what people were watching to say that he was awful, or worse than bruno (whose big game record is truly woeful).
When the facts get in the way of a good agenda.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Hopefully he resigns this summer. He’s been, along with Shaw and Maguire our best player since December. We need performers as well as players who rack up goals and assists. We have some really sub par players. We need to build on the quality we have.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I remember those posts. I remember @Pogue Mahone and a few others before coming with the ‘yea but when was the last open play goal’ regarding Pogba when he scored a few pens and downplaying his statistical contribution. Even when played in a midfield two for most of that time. Or it was ‘okay, when was the last at Old Trafford’ - with the stadium taking on more importance then! I don’t think Bruno has scored more league goals in open play than Pogba this year, and PP was out injured for a month.

What will be interesting to see is, as time passes, how this season is reported. Doubtlessly, it will be ‘couple of good games and months of dreadful performances’ once the facts become hazy.
The same poster(s) were desperate to diminish Pogba’s performance in winning the World Cup. You’ve really got to question why a Manchester United fan would be desperate to diminish the performance of a United player in winning the World Cup. We’ve had so few World Cup winners and the general consensus was that Paul was pivotal to France winning it. But then desperate for another United player to get an assist stat when that player didn’t touch the ball. I don’t get that to be honest. Ones won the World Cup the other didn’t touch a ball. Surely that’s the wrong way around :lol:

Hammondo

The same poster(s) were desperate to diminish Pogba’s performance in winning the World Cup. You’ve really got to question why a Manchester United fan would be desperate to diminish the performance of a United player in winning the World Cup. We’ve had so few World Cup winners and the general consensus was that Paul was pivotal to France winning it. But then desperate for another United player to get an assist stat when that player didn’t touch the ball. I don’t get that to be honest. Ones won the World Cup the other didn’t touch a ball. Surely that’s the wrong way around :lol:
This pivotal for France thing has been a successful myth. He was poor most of it.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
This pivotal for France thing has been a successful myth. He was poor most of it.
Just had a quick search of your posts in this thread, from December you’ve posted one not negative post about Pogba and many negative posts. I think that diminishes your credibility massively when it comes to appraising Pogba.

Marwood

Just had a quick search of your posts in this thread, from December you’ve posted one not negative post about Pogba and many negative posts. I think that diminishes your credibility massively when it comes to appraising Pogba.
You don't think your own credibility might be in question when it comes to Pogba?

You seem quite the fan. Nothing wrong with that but your posts doesn't scream objectivity.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
You don't think your own credibility might be in question when it comes to Pogba?

You seem quite the fan. Nothing wrong with that but your posts doesn't scream objectivity.
Id be open to someone pointing out why? Saying Pogba was decent in the final, has been one of our better players since December....shite at the start of the season, wouldn’t have played him after his agent said he would leave, poor against Roma away and Liverpool. Overall one of our better outfield players since he signed and pointing out that people seem to have an agenda against Pogba based on his character may not fit the narrative but I’d be interested to know which parts are not objective.

Sorry I don’t buy the narrative that any time the team fail Pogba has been abysmal the same as I don’t buy that any player should be judged beyond their performance.

Feel free to point out where I have not been objective towards Pogba.

The fact the other poster has only appeared once from December until May to be as positive as saying ‘Pogba wasn’t a problem today’.....in a period where Pogba carried us through quite a few games where others struggled, generally played to a good standard and had only a handful of poor performances, yet there are repeated negative posts from this poster in this period....for me calls into question the credibility of the posters appraisal of any period of form when it comes to Pogba. If he thinks he’s mostly been poor since December, since he only posts as such he’s hardly likely to change opinion during any other timeframe.

tjb

I know it's wild, but I'm warming to the idea of letting him leave on a free. Get a Dm this summer, with Sancho and a Cb. Keep Pogba to play alongside him in the short term, then sign Bellingham next summer.

Blood Mage

Camavinga is the only midfielder who could potentially replace Pogba long-term, and clearly we're not in for him so hopefully we can keep hold of Pogba or our midfield woes increase exponentially next season.

Teja

What you guys think of him and his agent if this happens
I'm fine with it, it sort of works for both parties. We're not going to get the big bucks in this market for a player with 1yr left on his contract and United won't let him leave for something paltry like 20 - 30M. He'd be far more valuable to us if he stayed on another season than if he left for cheap this summer.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I have to say first time I'm reading a bunch of your posts Jeppers and you talk a lot of sense. Keep fighting the good fight.

Lets see if Pogba signs a new deal, I have a feeling he just might.

Status
Not open for further replies.