Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AFC NimbleThumb

The responses in this post to this tweet pretty much prove his point if indeed it’s true.

I’m looking forward to a Pogba-less [& to some extent Lingard-less] United not only for footballing reasons but to see who’s next, looks like Rashford at this point; oh yea Martial will be back too. . .

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
The responses in this post to this tweet pretty much prove his point if indeed it’s true.

I’m looking forward to a Pogba-less [& to some extent Lingard-less] United not only for footballing reasons but to see who’s next, looks like Rashford at this point; oh yea Martial will be back too. . .
Are you saying the criticism the players are receiving isn't justified? If players choose to display their lives on social media then they're fair game imo.

While it may be true that Pogba receives more media criticism than say Rashford (for obvious reasons) he hasn't helped his own case with the way he treats the club like a stepping stone to something greater. Absolutely no sympathy for him. The same as Lingard using media as their own personal playground to deflect any blame away from themselves. The sooner Pogba, Lingard and Rashford dissappear from the club is the sooner we can concentrate on having footballers instead of brands and people defending them should take a step back and look at the bigger picture.

AFC NimbleThumb

Are you saying the criticism the players are receiving isn't justified?
No I’m not. I do not think all the criticism is justified nor more importantly that all players are held to the same standards but I’m not saying what you asked.

The sooner Pogba, Lingard and Rashford dissappear from the club is the sooner we can concentrate on having footballers instead of brands and people defending them should take a step back and look at the bigger picture.
Fair point but this is one of my biggest issues. There’s a notion that a certain group of players [Pogba, Rashford, Martial, Lingard usually] are the problem, of which they are one of but looking at the bigger picture as you ask why are ‘footballers’ like Maguire, Shaw, Lindelof, McTominay not a problem when they’re simply not very good at the football part?

Posters really need to understand that raising a differing point doesn’t constitute defence. I think Pogba & Lingard are good to go, I just don’t see there absence as a plus in itself when you look at performances like the one against Brighton.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
No I’m not. I do not think all the criticism is justified nor more importantly that all players are held to the same standards but I’m not saying what you asked.

Fair point but this is one of my biggest issues. There’s a notion that a certain group of players [Pogba, Rashford, Martial, Lingard usually] are the problem, of which they are one of but looking at the bigger picture as you ask why are ‘footballers’ like Maguire, Shaw, Lindelof, McTominay not a problem when they’re simply not very good at the football part?

Posters really need to understand that raising a differing point doesn’t constitute defence. I think Pogba & Lingard are good to go, I just don’t see there absence as a plus in itself when you look at performances like the one against Brighton.
Don't get me wrong. I agree with you. Every single player we have playing regular first team football is a problem for their own various reasons. I'm not saying there's one specific player that's toxic but more that as a mixture it has a horrible taste to it.

There's various reasons why players like Pogba, Martial, Lingard and Rashford stand out from the others though. Martial just doesn't have the heart for the fight in trying to make himself a better player. That kind of attitude doesn't go down too well with supporters/pundits alike. Pogba is similar but with him wanting to break ties every other season with United it rightly puts him more in the firing line. Lingards character is always going to bring out the worst of any criticism of him and Rashford downing tools this season is absolutely inexcusable. The latter 2 are also guilty of using the media to try and defend the indefensible which is a complete wind up in itself.

As for the rest of the players bar maybe Maguire and his sister, they more or less fly under the radar from social media which helps control the criticism of them and keeps them away from the firing line which is more than can be said of Pogba, Rashford and Lingard. Martial is just a lazy cnut.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Don't get me wrong. I agree with you. Every single player we have playing regular first team football is a problem for their own various reasons. I'm not saying there's one specific player that's toxic but more that as a mixture it has a horrible taste to it.

There's various reasons why players like Pogba, Martial, Lingard and Rashford stand out from the others though. Martial just doesn't have the heart for the fight in trying to make himself a better player. That kind of attitude doesn't go down too well with supporters/pundits alike. Pogba is similar but with him wanting to break ties every other season with United it rightly puts him more in the firing line. Lingards character is always going to bring out the worst of any criticism of him and Rashford downing tools this season is absolutely inexcusable. The latter 2 are also guilty of using the media to try and defend the indefensible which is a complete wind up in itself.

As for the rest of the players bar maybe Maguire and his sister, they more or less fly under the radar from social media which helps control the criticism of them and keeps them away from the firing line which is more than can be said of Pogba, Rashford and Lingard. Martial is just a lazy cnut.
I’ve never got this perception of Pogba’s social media? He barely posts anything and 95% of what he posts is training pics at United, pictures of him with United players or with the national team.

But it goes along with the general irrational reaction he seems to produce in our fanbase.

Maybe we ban social media with future players. Seems a huge distraction for our fans.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I’ve never got this perception of Pogba’s social media? He barely posts anything and 95% of what he posts is training pics at United, pictures of him with United players or with the national team.

But it goes along with the general irrational reaction he seems to produce in our fanbase.

Maybe we ban social media with future players. Seems a huge distraction for our fans.
Funnily enough we know next to nothing about Pogba's life outside of Football.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United

For me there's (generally) nothing wrong with Pogbas social media outlets. The same as Martial which is why I didn't mention them when I commented on Rashford and Lingard as the latter 2 using social media as their own personal playground. For me Pogba and Martial both go beyond social media although both Rashford and Lingard wind me up more with all the shite they put out there.

To put it another way. If the 4 of them were to leave this summer I'd be a very happy bunny so I'm not just singling out Pogba.

diarm

That's not how scapegoats work.

We have a squad of around 30 players and bar Ronaldo, pretty much every one of them has been shite at some stage or another. Even Ronaldo has been blamed by some idiots in the media at that.

For Pogba to feel hard done by, he must think he's played well during his second spell at United and I can't see how anyone, even Lingard, could be that deluded.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
There is still nothing remotely concrete about Pogba signing with another club anywhere on the internet - even Google drew a blank. Urgh.

How can that be? Considering the usual fanfare surrounding the guy, you'd assume someone's heard something.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
There is still nothing remotely concrete about Pogba signing with another club anywhere on the internet - even Google drew a blank. Urgh.

How can that be? Considering the usual fanfare surrounding the guy, you'd assume someone's heard something.
Pogba isn't as much in the news as people think and as far as I know there isn't a single journalist that has consistent access to him.

Lee565

It may sound insensitive, if pogba did stay maybe we won't get the circus around as much with his agent passing away who was often releasing disruptive statements in regards to pogba's future at the club.

If ten hag genuinely wants pogba at the club then that is fine and I do wonder how pogba could perform under an actual class, modern and progressive manager along with a high calibre coaching team as well.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
For Pogba to feel hard done by, he must think he's played well during his second spell at United and I can't see how anyone, even Lingard, could be that deluded.
To some extent yes, but the level of criticism was definitely overboard based on his performance level for the first 3 or 4 years he was here. Overall he was probably our best player over that period, yet he was also getting far more criticism than any other player in the team.

It was most obviously highlighted in 18/19, where he was widely attacked and blamed for 'getting Mourinho sacked' or similar, when in reality he'd been comfortably our best player that season at that point. That's not to say he'd been particularly good or anything, but the sad reality that him being good for 50% of that season was comfortably ahead of Martial and Shaw (who had been good for about 25% of the season) and everyone else in the team (literally every other player in the squad had been terrible the entire time). The witch-hunt on Pogba that season in particular was disgraceful, and most of the media and the fanbase haven't let up on him since.

Obviously he's been poor these last two seasons, but the injuries certainly haven't helped.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

We have a squad of around 30 players and bar Ronaldo, pretty much every one of them has been shite at some stage or another. Even Ronaldo has been blamed by some idiots in the media at that.

Going by his last interview during the international break, I'd say he lacks self accountability as he put all his struggles at the club's feet

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I hope Ten Hag doesn't even acknowledge him or Lingard for that matter, these are players that have chosen to leave already, put effort and time into those that are looking to have a future here, even if I think most of this squad are a disgrace and shouldn't be here.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

Why does that mean he must feel like he’s played well?

Perhaps he recognises that he got racially abused after being targeted by Neville….for taking a penalty. Perhaps he recalls being the only player getting abused by fans on the pitch at the end of a season where he topped every stat and was named in PFA team of the year. Perhaps he’s aware that he gets criticised for things that other players don’t in the media like getting blocked off at a corner, getting tackled, not tracking a man off a corner…..oh wait it wasn’t Pogba who lost his man…..so I’ll shut up.

None of that means he feels he’s played well….simply that he might feel that he gets critiqued much more negatively. Perhaps he’s also aware of how our fanbase felt about his return from the get go.

diarm

Why does that mean he must feel like he’s played well?

Perhaps he recognises that he got racially abused after being targeted by Neville….for taking a penalty. Perhaps he recalls being the only player getting abused by fans on the pitch at the end of a season where he topped every stat and was named in PFA team of the year. Perhaps he’s aware that he gets criticised for things that other players don’t in the media like getting blocked off at a corner, getting tackled, not tracking a man off a corner…..oh wait it wasn’t Pogba who lost his man…..so I’ll shut up.

None of that means he feels he’s played well….simply that he might feel that he gets critiqued much more negatively. Perhaps he’s also aware of how our fanbase felt about his return from the get go.
The only legitimate point there is him being racially abused for taking a penalty.

Suggesting that other players don't get criticised for losing possession or failing to track their man at a corner is patently bollocks.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The only legitimate point there is him being racially abused for taking a penalty.

Suggesting that other players don't get criticised for losing possession or failing to track their man at a corner is patently bollocks.
Yeah, it is nonsense. Every player gets shit loads of criticism. All this "OMG it's only Pogba who gets all the criticism" is just nonsense.

Tbf him getting criticism for social media posts is pathetic, his social media and he can use it any way he wants to. If people don't like they shouldn't follow him. Neville doesn't help when he double down when he is clearly wrong, ends up looking like an idiot.

Classical Mechanic

Personally I'm not against him staying on the proviso that we're going to be paying him around the £160k a week that Juve were reportedly offering. If he signs on for £400k a week as our offer was reported it can only end in tears.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
To some extent yes, but the level of criticism was definitely overboard based on his performance level for the first 3 or 4 years he was here. Overall he was probably our best player over that period, yet he was also getting far more criticism than any other player in the team.

It was most obviously highlighted in 18/19, where he was widely attacked and blamed for 'getting Mourinho sacked' or similar, when in reality he'd been comfortably our best player that season at that point. That's not to say he'd been particularly good or anything, but the sad reality that him being good for 50% of that season was comfortably ahead of Martial and Shaw (who had been good for about 25% of the season) and everyone else in the team (literally every other player in the squad had been terrible the entire time). The witch-hunt on Pogba that season in particular was disgraceful, and most of the media and the fanbase haven't let up on him since.

Obviously he's been poor these last two seasons, but the injuries certainly haven't helped.
He was Mourinho’s biggest signing. Also the club’s most expensive signing ever. The focus on his performances in that context was entirely reasonable. The fact he didn’t deliver what was expected/hoped when we signed him was obviously a big factor in Mourinho’s demise.

The fact he played even worse in subsequent seasons doesn’t change this. If anything, it vindicates the criticism.

DickDastardly

Offer him 100k a week if he wants to stay, that's already way over the top than what he deserves.
Fecking hell.

Once you really wrap your mind around that number......100 thousand pounds a week......

Imagine sucking at your job as much as Pogba does and still managing to get payed that abscene amount of money.

I hope he leaves.
We really need to change the scenery at this club, starting with players who don't perform.

Kostov

Fecking hell.

Once you really wrap your mind around that number......100 thousand pounds a week......

Imagine sucking at your job as much as Pogba does and still managing to get payed that abscene amount of money.

I hope he leaves.
We really need to change the scenery at this club, starting with players who don't perform.
It's mind blowing my friend :lol:

And you can imagine the reaction of him and his team if anyone actually offers him 100k, he probably thinks he deserves 300k.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Wait, wait, wait, let's back up a little.

Didn't Pogba claim to have been "scapegoated" by the English media only a few days back? Did he also not claim he has been treated harshly by the United fans prior to that?

If that is the case, why is he even considering renewing with us or signing for another English club, City?

How many contradictions does it take to screw in a fecking lightbulb anyway?

Sigh.

Someone is lying or everyone is lying. Probably the latter. Either way, it makes no sense.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

Everything on a scale of course....but I can’t recall another player ever who has been singled out in halftime analysis for getting blocked off at a corner. From memory the entire halftime coverage was focussed on criticising Pogba for his man getting free on a corner. This happens every week when anyone scores from a corner. Gary Neville was going on a tirade away to West Ham last season until he realised it was actually Telles that lost the runner....then he shut up. Villa at home last year he singled him out for something he was nowhere near. He got singled out by pundits for getting tackled on halfway v Wolves and in opponents half v Palace. He got given a hospital ball vs Liverpool and got a red card...any other player would’ve been clapped off the pitch for showing some fight, he genuinely gets accused of getting sent off on purpose.

Fans on here mentioning it within reason, sure. But the media? It happens in football. Bruno lost the ball on the edge of his own box v Arsenal, Leeds, Leicester...all leading to goals. Rolled about on the floor rather than getting up and carrying on. Yes fans on here might have mentioned it but it was absolutely not brought up in the media and by pundits. The Arsenal one for example cost us any chance of top four, and he’d just missed a penalty. You will never convince me that Bruno and Pogba would have been treated the same by the media for the performance in that game.

Pogba would’ve been slated, blamed his entire character assassinated.

If it’s true he feels scapegoated, it will be for these reasons. There’s also the misrepresentation of his general performances in his time here, which have been much better than he’s given credit for.

diarm

Everything on a scale of course....but I can’t recall another player ever who has been singled out in halftime analysis for getting blocked off at a corner. From memory the entire halftime coverage was focussed on criticising Pogba for his man getting free on a corner. This happens every week when anyone scores from a corner. Gary Neville was going on a tirade away to West Ham last season until he realised it was actually Telles that lost the runner....then he shut up. Villa at home last year he singled him out for something he was nowhere near. He got singled out by pundits for getting tackled on halfway v Wolves and in opponents half v Palace. He got given a hospital ball vs Liverpool and got a red card...any other player would’ve been clapped off the pitch for showing some fight, he genuinely gets accused of getting sent off on purpose.

Fans on here mentioning it within reason, sure. But the media? It happens in football. Bruno lost the ball on the edge of his own box v Arsenal, Leeds, Leicester...all leading to goals. Rolled about on the floor rather than getting up and carrying on. Yes fans on here might have mentioned it but it was absolutely not brought up in the media and by pundits. The Arsenal one for example cost us any chance of top four, and he’d just missed a penalty. You will never convince me that Bruno and Pogba would have been treated the same by the media for the performance in that game.

Pogba would’ve been slated, blamed his entire character assassinated.

If it’s true he feels scapegoated, it will be for these reasons. There’s also the misrepresentation of his general performances in his time here, which have been much better than he’s given credit for.
I just don't for a second agree that other players don't get criticised for losing their man at corners, or for labouring on the ball and getting dispossessed in the midfield. You're quite right that these things happen every week, but they are criticised by pundits every week too. If Pogba is criticised more, it is because he is guilty of these things more.

Obviously there are the odd clown like Souness who has obviously taken a personal dislike towards him, but that is a full scale meme at this stage and nobody could possibly take it seriously.

Pogba doesn't mind being a high profile player when it suits him. When he's talking publicly about where he'd like to move next in his career, or when he's negotiating sponsorship deals or promoting his latest brand wares with Adidas or similar. With that profile, comes extra attention when you're not performing to the levels you sell yourself at - you can't just turn that attention off when it doesn't suit you.

Bruno has been absolutely slated for his performances this season but yes, he has a certain amount of goodwill in the bank from last year. Pogba had no such buffer built up. If Bruno maintains this years standard for the length of time Pogba has - he will be on the end of the exact same.

You think no other player gets the bad press Pogba gets but in my opinion it's the opposite; there is no other player I can think of, who enjoys the level of profile Pogba does, while doing so little in terms of performance to have earned it.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Is that even true, though?

If I was to sum up Pogba's time at the club in a single sentence, it would read something like this: rare flashes of brilliance combined with below-average performances. A bang-average player.

Sorry to say it as you seem to be a big fan of the guy, but he simply isn't as good as you think he is. And we won't miss him when he eventually leaves the club, sooner rather than later preferably.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I just don't for a second agree that other players don't get criticised for losing their man at corners, or for labouring on the ball and getting dispossessed in the midfield. You're quite right that these things happen every week, but they are criticised by pundits every week too. If Pogba is criticised more, it is because he is guilty of these things more.

Obviously there are the odd clown like Souness who has obviously taken a personal dislike towards him, but that is a full scale meme at this stage and nobody could possibly take it seriously.

Pogba doesn't mind being a high profile player when it suits him. When he's talking publicly about where he'd like to move next in his career, or when he's negotiating sponsorship deals or promoting his latest brand wares with Adidas or similar. With that profile, comes extra attention when you're not performing to the levels you sell yourself at - you can't just turn that attention off when it doesn't suit you.

Bruno has been absolutely slated for his performances this season but yes, he has a certain amount of goodwill in the bank from last year. Pogba had no such buffer built up. If Bruno maintains this years standard for the length of time Pogba has - he will be on the end of the exact same.

You think no other player gets the bad press Pogba gets but in my opinion it's the opposite; there is no other player I can think of, who enjoys the level of profile Pogba does, while doing so little in terms of performance to have earned it.
Can you give me some examples of players being singled out for losing a man on a corner by pundits for the entire halftime? For getting tackled on halfway or in the oppos half? Surely you’ll find them on YouTube etc.

Did Bruno get singled out in after match v Arsenal, Leeds, Leicester for losing the ball on the edge of his box...and again everything on a scale. That’s the point I think you miss. There’s a difference between highliting on a normal scale a person getting tackled. It’s another to spend ten minutes and ten different angles, getting the co commentator in...Match of the day picking up on it, Souness piping up etc

Was this the case...to this scale for Bruno against Arsenal...added to 17 months of largely dire performances and a mentality to roll around on the floor rather than get up and try to win the ball back after a mistake. Bruno has not been picked up for this at all. Other players absolutely not.

As I said you will never convince me that Pogba wouldn’t have been assassinated for Bruno’s performance vs Arsenal...despite him being a large part of the last two trophies we won.
Everyone of course gets criticism, it’s the nature and the scale that differs.

I don’t think Pogba has any real profile? He’s just obviously a quality player who has struggled somewhat in a very poor team. He’s a World Cup winner also but beyond that I’m not sure what you’re talking about. He’s largely a ghost outside of being on the pitch and in training.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Is that even true, though?

If I was to sum up Pogba's time at the club in a single sentence, it would read something like this: rare flashes of brilliance combined with below-average performances. A bang-average player.

Sorry to say it as you seem to be a big fan of the guy, but he simply isn't as good as you think he is. And we won't miss him when he eventually leaves the club, sooner rather than later preferably.
All that does is highlight my point. I’ve provided evidence from here about his performances. You only need to look back to last season from December to May to see how little positive is remembered with regards to Pogba. Everyone seems to just go with the narrative. No ones saying he’s been brilliant but all your post does is prove my point.

diarm

Can you give me some examples of players being singled out for losing a man on a corner by pundits for the entire halftime? For getting tackled on halfway or in the oppos half? Surely you’ll find them on YouTube etc.

Did Bruno get singled out in after match v Arsenal, Leeds, Leicester for losing the ball on the edge of his box...and again everything on a scale. That’s the point I think you miss. There’s a difference between highliting on a normal scale a person getting tackled. It’s another to spend ten minutes and ten different angles, getting the co commentator in...Match of the day picking up on it, Souness piping up etc

Was this the case...to this scale for Bruno against Arsenal...added to 17 months of largely dire performances and a mentality to roll around on the floor rather than get up and try to win the ball back after a mistake. Bruno has not been picked up for this at all. Other players absolutely not.

As I said you will never convince me that Pogba wouldn’t have been assassinated for Bruno’s performance vs Arsenal...despite him being a large part of the last two trophies we won.
Everyone of course gets criticism, it’s the nature and the scale that differs.

I don’t think Pogba has any real profile? He’s just obviously a quality player who has struggled somewhat in a very poor team. He’s a World Cup winner also but beyond that I’m not sure what you’re talking about. He’s largely a ghost outside of being on the pitch and in training.
You want me to go and find videos of entire half time analysis sections? I assume you have the youtube clip of Pogba getting singled out for an entire half time as well? I feel like you are getting your knickers in an almighty twist because of the piss poor analysis of one Graeme Souness, a man who has been universally mocked and belittled for his ridiculous stance on Pogba.

As for the rest of it, I reckon we just agree to disagree. From your stance so far, I reckon I could have a more balanced conversation about Pogba with his mum.

Marwood

You want me to go and find videos of entire half time analysis sections? I assume you have the youtube clip of Pogba getting singled out for an entire half time as well? I feel like you are getting your knickers in an almighty twist because of the piss poor analysis of one Graeme Souness, a man who has been universally mocked and belittled for his ridiculous stance on Pogba.

As for the rest of it, I reckon we just agree to disagree. From your stance so far, I reckon I could have a more balanced conversation about Pogba with his mum.
But with hindsight was Souness completely wrong?

The main thread of his argument was that Pogba didn't understand the CM role.

I don't think he's a million miles off is he.

diarm

But with hindsight was Souness completely wrong?

The main thread of his argument was that Pogba didn't understand the CM role.

I don't think he's a million miles off is he.
If Souness has left it at that, and kept his criticism to where it was justified, that would've been fine.

But he became totally obsessed with his criticism - blaming Pogba for all sorts, even when he clearly wasn't the most deserving recipient.

Status
Not open for further replies.