Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Pogba more consistent than Bruno? Im not a great one for statistics but Id find it hard to believe Brunos are worse than Pogbas.
Im not sure why you’d link then consistency and statistics? But ok, since January Bruno has scored 7 non penalty goals in the league (3 in one game) and has 4 assists. From an extremely advanced position in most games and with the freedom to give the ball away as much as he wants. I was actually referring to consistency of performance but even in consistency of output Bruno is starting to level off. In the same period Pogba has 2 goals and 10 assists from a deeper position or from wide and with less minutes due to injury.
But again I was talking about performance.

redmanx

Yea. And he never in a million years would have resigned him.
Paul Pogba is a very skilful, talented player; give him time and space and he can tear an opposing team apart, but in the Prem time and space are denied and players have to adapt to that. Many many overseas players have managed to adapt to our football and have added hard work ethics and defensive duties to their cvs and are incredibly valuable assets to their teams and English football in general, but Pogba hasnt, or doesnt want to, I think its a bit of each. Pogba is a luxury we cannot afford; we need players who are prepared to work the entire game, every game, not when they feel like it. Somebody on here said when Pogba isnt playing well, neither does the team, but I think its the other way around and Pogba only plays well when the team is on song. A player of Pogbas undoubted ability should be able to lift his team mates, provide the odd flash of brilliance and turn games around, not every game of course, but how often does Pogba do this? Hes fine when we're coasting, but goes awol when we need him, a luxury player who does not fit the bill and has not since his return. I would love nothing more than to see the Paul Pogba we thought we were getting, but that player has rarely been seen except by his most besotted admirers for whom he can do no wrong.

redmanx

Im not sure why you’d link then consistency and statistics? But ok, since January Bruno has scored 7 non penalty goals in the league (3 in one game) and has 4 assists. From an extremely advanced position in most games and with the freedom to give the ball away as much as he wants. I was actually referring to consistency of performance but even in consistency of output Bruno is starting to level off. In the same period Pogba has 2 goals and 10 assists from a deeper position or from wide and with less minutes due to injury.
But again I was talking about performance.
As I said, Im not a fan of statistics as they can be read in any way a person wants to read them. Bruno has been our best outfield player on countless occassions since he arrived and though he might give the ball away at one time or another, and which player doesnt, he has contributed consistently with goals and assists while not neglecting his defensive duties. No matter how the statistics are viewed, in the 5 years since Pogbas return he has not performed anywhere near as consistently or had the effect on the team as Bruno has.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
As I said, Im not a fan of statistics as they can be read in any way a person wants to read them. Bruno has been our best outfield player on countless occassions since he arrived and though he might give the ball away at one time or another, and which player doesnt, he has contributed consistently with goals and assists while not neglecting his defensive duties. No matter how the statistics are viewed, in the 5 years since Pogbas return he has not performed anywhere near as consistently or had the effect on the team as Bruno has.
He has contributed with goals and assists and he’s a top player. I’m a big fan of Bruno but he has a very positive regard around him. His influence is overstated in our general play as he hasnt solved many of the issues we had before he arrived. We haven’t won anything since he’s been here and he hasn’t turned up in big games. He came into a much better and more rounded side than Pogba came into all those years ago, playing with Fellaini in midfield and with Blind as CB, young as RB, Lingard or Perreira in Bruno’s position. But context is missed. Bruno can chose to roll about on the floor sulking when he doesn’t get a free kick and the opposition counter but supposedly that isn’t neglecting his defensive duties, while if Pogba dare get tackled it’s a major talking point.

If you look back through any season Pogba has been here he’s been as consistent performance wise as Bruno was last season. He’s not a forward like Bruno so typically has less goals and assists but there have been seasons where he’s been abused on the pitch despite topping our performance charts in every metric. Bruno’s output is definitely tailing off and his performances since January have not been anything like the level of Pogba’s overall. Shouldn’t be forgotten also that Pogba played a big roll in the last two trophies we won, in a lesser side than Bruno walked into.

redmanx

He has contributed with goals and assists and he’s a top player. I’m a big fan of Bruno but he has a very positive regard around him. His influence is overstated in our general play as he hasnt solved many of the issues we had before he arrived. We haven’t won anything since he’s been here and he hasn’t turned up in big games. He came into a much better and more rounded side than Pogba came into all those years ago, playing with Fellaini in midfield and with Blind as CB, young as RB, Lingard or Perreira in Bruno’s position. But context is missed. Bruno can chose to roll about on the floor sulking when he doesn’t get a free kick and the opposition counter but supposedly that isn’t neglecting his defensive duties, while if Pogba dare get tackled it’s a major talking point.

If you look back through any season Pogba has been here he’s been as consistent performance wise as Bruno was last season. He’s not a forward like Bruno so typically has less goals and assists but there have been seasons where he’s been abused on the pitch despite topping our performance charts in every metric. Bruno’s output is definitely tailing off and his performances since January have not been anything like the level of Pogba’s overall. Shouldn’t be forgotten also that Pogba played a big roll in the last two trophies we won, in a lesser side than Bruno walked into.
I take it Pogbas on your Xmas card list.

Man Utd 2:1 Villarreal

Woodzy

I’m gonna say it, his 1 in every 10 game world class performances aren’t worth it.

He wasn’t even terrible tonight, but he just provides a huge problem in terms of the balance of the team (which we don’t really have without him either tbh).

Ronaldoooooooooooooo

el3mel

That was another shit game. Literally non existent in midfield today, and wasn't even that good upfront.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Needs to be dropped at the wknd, affects our balance massively. Stick with proper wingers and a more disciplined midfield.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Taking him off turned things. Terrible today. No control in MF with him doing things like he cannot be arsed.

Let him go and bring in two MFs in January or Summer.

Absolutely brutal he was. Villareals MF looked miles better technically.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
who haven't we tried in the middle with him at this stage? he can't run a tight game of football. when we are up against it he doesn't win the ball back or press and he can't really set a tempo when we ask him to, he's often ponderous and quite easy to dispossess. Apart from that he's a top central midfielder. Can we please just stop playing him there and let him attack (and stop constantly blaming our other harder working midfielders for his obvious shortcomings in the role!) There isn't a player alive who can work in a 2 with that and pick up all the slack and play his own game. its impossible. time for people to actually cop onto it.

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
His glumness after the final whistle was, to use an Ole phrase, not to my liking. He's started the season well, but tactically, I'd sacrifice him for a slightly more balanced team that includes Cavani. Maybe with our best back 4 against weak midfields he can play in a double pivot, but we have to have some balance in the centre of the park and overloading attacking players without much work rate is not ideal.

Heinzesight

Another average (generous?) game from the big man. Face like a slapped arse whilst his teammates celebrate. Bench please from now on.

Devil may care

Fanny in a fit performance, Ole has to realize he's never going to be the player he wants in a midfield 2.

Woodzy

This is the problem. We are doing whatever we can to fit him into the team on the back of a handful of great games.

Maybe McFred wouldn’t make us all cringe so much if we had proper wingers playing out wide.

Like I said, I feel like you could play Pogba anywhere and every now and then he would look like the best in the world, but ultimately he just ruins the balance of the team.

RedIan

Poor tonight, he really needed to sit deeper with Scott and help get some midfield control but he was all over the place (not in a good way) had no impact.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Tactically causes so many issues. He doesn't drop off into space, he sometimes just is milling around up top, doesn't make late runs into the box. Struggling to see how we improve with him in the side with the squad we have.

DickDastardly

who haven't we tried in the middle with him at this stage? he can't run a tight game of football. when we are up against it he doesn't win the ball back or press and he can't really set a tempo when we ask him to, he's often ponderous and quite easy to dispossess. Apart from that he's a top central midfielder. Can we please just stop playing him there and let him attack (and stop blaming our other midfielders for his shortcomings in the role)
Apart from that?!

He can't play against a high energy press team.
He can't win the ball.
And he can't set the tempo.

What the hell kind of a midfield player is that?!

acnumber9

He just needs a good shake. All the ability and no desire to make the most of it.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Ole should really have gotten rid of him when he came first and cleared out the deadwood like Fellaini and Sanchez.

Holocene

Taking him off turned things. Terrible today. No control in MF with him doing things like he cannot be arsed.

Let him go and bring in two MFs in January or Summer.

Absolutely brutal he was. Villareals MF looked miles better technically.
Cares more about his haircut than his role in the team.
Ole should really have gotten rid of him when he came first and cleared out the deadwood like Fellaini and Sanchez.
You know you can just make one post instead of continuously coming back to the thread?

Why do we keep playing him in a two and expecting the result to be any different? Not his fault we keep asking him to do something he clearly isn't capable of.

The United

You could accuse him of being lazy sometimes. Like someone said above, didn't drop off to defend or receive the ball or didn't run into the space to attack. Seems like just playing in his own box.

He is not that good to be allowed to play like that. He still had some nice passes.

EtH

What was he doing staying so high up the pitch ? Was it tactical ? If not surely he should’ve been reined in by the manager.

Why can’t we ever have a functional midfield ?

Walters_19_MuFc

He did a lot of running in behind tonight, which meant oftentimes, McTominay was the one of the ball and the person to pick the pass. I like McTominay but that's not his game. You almost want it reversed.

Pogba needs to be on the ball. Yes, like Bruno, he will sometimes lose passes but he will spot passes no one in our team can.

Against Everton, I'd like to see us go back to a 4231, where Pogba can get on the ball and dictate like he did against Newcastle, whilst McTominay or Fred do the dirty work, so to speak.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Why do we keep playing him in a two and expecting the result to be any different? Not his fault we keep asking him to do something he clearly isn't capable of.
We seem to be doing that an awful lot to players to be honest. Like asking Dalot to play professional football, for example.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
This is the problem. We are doing whatever we can to fit him into the team on the back of a handful of great games.

Maybe McFred wouldn’t make us all cringe so much if we had proper wingers playing out wide.

Like I said, I feel like you could play Pogba anywhere and every now and then he would look like the best in the world, but ultimately he just ruins the balance of the team.
Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.