Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

predator

Youth NITK
I have a feeling he will sign a new contract and stay however if he does leave in the summer I just hope that he plays a role in salvaging the season somewhat and goes out on a high. For me he is one of our own and deserves more support from our fans. He's spent almost a decade of his life at the club already.

It will be interesting to see how he performs under RR. It would appear that he isn't the type of player RR would favour however, I think RR realises he has to adapt with what he has at his disposal and we may see a revitalised Pogba returning to prove a point.

Wishful thinking? Possibly.
Sentimental nonsense? Again, unwise to rule it out.

Ixion

The number of people I've seen on social media say "He shouldn't receive abuse but...." and then add something completely pointless to justify why they dont like him is ridiculous. He has always been given unfair abuse while hes been here and anyone trying to say there isnt an element of race and religion involved is deluding themselves.

Corridor of Uncertainty

The number of people I've seen on social media say "He shouldn't receive abuse but...." and then add something completely pointless to justify why they dont like him is ridiculous. He has always been given unfair abuse while hes been here and anyone trying to say there isnt an element of race and religion involved is deluding themselves.
So players can't receive criticism without race/religion being some sort of motive?

captaincantona

Yes...you’re right...it’s had nothing to do with:
-his underwhelming performances despite being priced in the very top tier of players on the planet.
-the fact that let’s be honest he has made it clear he wanted out of the club since just after 2 years into his contract and that the plan was that we would be a nice pay day before Real Madrid.
- never once has he said anything to suggest in anyway that he was committed to the club in the long term
- that everyone, even his biggest fans accept that he would be long gone if not for the economic impacts of COVID
- never once did he correct his agent in public or ask him to stop making mischief
- then there is his constant talk every international window that he is happier with France and plays better for France because of XYZ
- then there is his general non existent performances when you really do need a leader and a €90 Million midfielder- the big games in which he has been routinely. absent.
- Sorry, also, the hate Phil Jones got for being injured yet cumulatively PP is almost pushing the sick note tag at this stage.

None of that has fuking anything to do with race or religion and it’s wokey bullshit to suggest that a supporter would not feel the exact same way about Griezemann let’s say if we had of made the same mistake by buying him. That’s not an agenda...that’s not a hatred...that’s saying when we pay that much for a player we expect more positives and less headlines. Fans are entitled to that without being labeled as otherwise.

it’s simple- you post something racist...it’s a good chance you’re racist and closed minded and an idiot. If you have issues with the way players represent a club you love...then that’s your issue...it shouldn’t be made into something it isn’t by sensitive souls.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Yes...you’re right...it’s had nothing to do with:
-his underwhelming performances despite being priced in the very top tier of players on the planet.
-the fact that let’s be honest he has made it clear he wanted out of the club since just after 2 years into his contract and that the plan was that we would be a nice pay day before Real Madrid.
- never once has he said anything to suggest in anyway that he was committed to the club in the long term
- that everyone, even his biggest fans accept that he would be long gone if not for the economic impacts of COVID
- never once did he correct his agent in public or ask him to stop making mischief
- then there is his constant talk every international window that he is happier with France and plays better for France because of XYZ
- then there is his general non existent performances when you really do need a leader and a €90 Million midfielder- the big games in which he has been routinely. absent.
- Sorry, also, the hate Phil Jones got for being injured yet cumulatively PP is almost pushing the sick note tag at this stage.

None of that has fuking anything to do with race or religion and it’s wokey bullshit to suggest that a supporter would not feel the exact same way about Griezemann let’s say if we had of made the same mistake by buying him. That’s not an agenda...that’s not a hatred...that’s saying when we pay that much for a player we expect more positives and less headlines. Fans are entitled to that without being labeled as otherwise.

it’s simple- you post something racist...it’s a good chance you’re racist and closed minded and an idiot. If you have issues with the way players represent a club you love...then that’s your issue...it shouldn’t be made into something it isn’t by sensitive souls.
How does any of that mean he should get abuse? I'm not even talking race or religion, but why should fans abuse him?
Let's be clear, he was also getting abuse before his agent & his family were spouting off, so how do we know if that's not part of his decision to look elsewhere? It's happened with Lingard, Martial, Jones etc.
Our fans are fecking toxic and not sure why so many people want to continue/justify the cycle.

captaincantona

How does any of that mean he should get abuse? I'm not even talking race or religion, but why should fans abuse him?
Let's be clear, he was also getting abuse before his agent & his family were spouting off, so how do we know if that's not part of his decision to look elsewhere? It's happened with Lingard, Martial, Jones etc.
Our fans are fecking toxic and not sure why so many people want to continue/justify the cycle.
If the “abuse” is basically a fans feelings on something directly related to how that player has impacted the club or team then yes...the fan can voice their negative opinions...or are you seriously that far woke that you now don’t think the poor millionaires who make choices to publicise themselves excessively to make more money should recieve any negative opinions?

Marwood

Why did this thread turn into a dick measuring contest about who gets the most abuse?

Our players and in general most athletes get abused and ravaged in the social media, some deserved perhaps but generally for childish reasons, that's just the way things are and have always been.
It's the Pogba thread. We have a few posters here who are convinced Pogba is victimised above all others. They've been ramming home that messsge for a while. No idea why.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
If the “abuse” is basically a fans feelings on something directly related to how that player has impacted the club or team then yes...the fan can voice their negative opinions...or are you seriously that far woke that you now don’t think the poor millionaires who make choices to publicise themselves excessively to make more money should recieve any negative opinions?
First of all, what do you understand 'woke' to mean? You keep referencing it as if it's a normal adjective to ascribe to someone's character and that's not what it means.
Secondly, do you not see that justifying abuse of someone just because they play a sport is ridiculous as a grown adult?
It's not like we've been flying high, and in season-long title challenges, and Pogba's performances have been the difference between us winning things vs us not.
He hasn't lived up to expectations, but as a club we have fallen so far behind that no 1 player can drag us back to the level we should be.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Vile abuse on social media shock! Really who thought allowing people to say basically whatever they want behind the protection of a keyboard would cause these sort of problems.

What i always find interesting is that there isn't a outpouring of shock or horror until the abuse turns racist.

Like somehow all manner of derogatory comments about appearances is absolutely fine until someone openly makes a racist comment and bang suddenly all those people happy to use so called non racist abuse jump on there high horses and condem the racism while openly abusing players, but just not 'racially'.

How about you try just not abusing people on social media full stop. You want to criticise a player for there performance fine keep it constructive. Start name calling etc than you are no better than the racists in my eyes.
Great post

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
The abuse is ridiculous, unacceptable and needs to be stamped out, but lets not jump on the "Utd supporters are cnuts" bandwagon too quickly, twitter is full of racist scumbags, and Pogba as a very high profile Muslim is going to draw attention from that kind of scum regardless of what club they support.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Why did this thread turn into a dick measuring contest about who gets the most abuse?

Our players and in general most athletes get abused and ravaged in the social media, some deserved perhaps but generally for childish reasons, that's just the way things are and have always been.
Because looks like few are upset that other players are not getting enough abuse :lol:

roonster09

Scout
Vile abuse on social media shock! Really who thought allowing people to say basically whatever they want behind the protection of a keyboard would cause these sort of problems.

What i always find interesting is that there isn't a outpouring of shock or horror until the abuse turns racist.

Like somehow all manner of derogatory comments about appearances is absolutely fine until someone openly makes a racist comment and bang suddenly all those people happy to use so called non racist abuse jump on there high horses and condem the racism while openly abusing players, but just not 'racially'.

How about you try just not abusing people on social media full stop. You want to criticise a player for there performance fine keep it constructive. Start name calling etc than you are no better than the racists in my eyes.
Good post. I have seen few idiots saying Jones deserves the abuse because he is getting paid good money, this was when his interview was posted with Jones saying he was abused infront of his daughter.

captaincantona

First of all, what do you understand 'woke' to mean? You keep referencing it as if it's a normal adjective to ascribe to someone's character and that's not what it means.
Secondly, do you not see that justifying abuse of someone just because they play a sport is ridiculous as a grown adult?
It's not like we've been flying high, and in season-long title challenges, and Pogba's performances have been the difference between us winning things vs us not.
He hasn't lived up to expectations, but as a club we have fallen so far behind that no 1 player can drag us back to the level we should be.
By woke I mean turning things that are very clearly not racist or social injustices into such.

people posting racist shit on his religious based Instagram posts is fuking awful...but that is an entirely separate issue that people like you ball together in order to garner some sort of support and outrage against injustices that don’t exist.

Racism has nothing to do with me logging onto a fan forum to say he is an overpaid and disloyal player that goes missing when you need him. He really has been waste of resources for the last 5 years and I will look forward to him being gone and spending his wages on players who want to play for this club.

stop conflating issues. It’s classic “woke” tendency.

Corridor of Uncertainty

Which ones specifically? You can't surely be tarring every fan with the same brush.

captaincantona

No...toxic people who abuse people over the internet are toxic. Who the fuk are you to label literally millions of fans toxic. Cop the fuk on.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
By woke I mean turning things that are very clearly not racist or social injustices into such.

people posting racist shit on his religious based Instagram posts is fuking awful...but that is an entirely separate issue that people like you ball together in order to garner some sort of support and outrage against injustices that don’t exist.

Racism has nothing to do with me logging onto a fan forum to say he is an overpaid and disloyal player that goes missing when you need him. He really has been waste of resources for the last 5 years and I will look forward to him being gone and spending his wages on players who want to play for this club.

"people like me" I haven't even mentioned the racial abuse that he got, i'm saying abusing players generally on social media is a weird thing for any adult to do.
So in actuality it sounds like you want the chance to call people "woke" (while using it incorrectly) when it's not even relevant.

Which ones specifically? You can't surely be tarring every fan with the same brush.
It's called a generalisation, and it's not just our fans it's fans of every club - but I only care about Man United obviously.
If you can't see that there's an issue with current fan culture and why players felt the need to go on a social media blackout in the last year or so, then you're being wilfully ignorant to the situation, or perhaps you don't care that it's become normalised to send abuse to players after a loss/bad performance.

No...toxic people who abuse people over the internet are toxic. Who the fuk are you to label literally millions of fans toxic. Cop the fuk on.
Who are you to call me and millions of others woke? Do you not see the irony?

Corridor of Uncertainty

"people like me" I haven't even mentioned the racial abuse that he got, i'm saying abusing players generally on social media is a weird thing for any adult to do.
So in actuality it sounds like you want the chance to call people "woke" (while using it incorrectly) when it's not even relevant.

It's called a generalisation, and it's not just our fans it's fans of every club - but I only care about Man United obviously.
If you can't see that there's an issue with current fan culture and why players felt the need to go on a social media blackout in the last year or so, then you're being wilfully ignorant to the situation, or perhaps you don't care that it's become normalised to send abuse to players after a loss/bad performance.

That's what I thought - thanks.

OL29

She’s clearly not referring to each and every individual United supporter, but it’s a significant enough proportion given the regularity that our players are abused. It’s not that controversial.

Corridor of Uncertainty

Yeah otherwise I would've said "every single Man United fan is toxic", thanks.
Bollocks. You said "our fans are toxic", making a sweeping statement and labelling millions of supporters we have around the world, and 75,000 match going fans racist and intolerant. Like someone said earlier, virtue signaling, and it's nauseating.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Bollocks. You said "our fans are toxic", making a sweeping statement and labelling millions of supporters we have around the world, and 75,000 match going fans racist and intolerant. Like someone said earlier, virtue signaling, and it's nauseating.
No where did anyone say all our fans...., quite clearly there are a lot of them who are ,as we have seen plenty of over the past few years.
Not sure why you are choosing to be pedantic about this wording, and missing the point completely.

roonster09

Scout

Disloyal player? What about club?

captaincantona

I don’t see millions of people suggesting that racist abuse and fans venting frustrations based on valid frustrations are one and the same. I see people like you bundling them together. That is woke if, as I do, you consider an example of being woke as people being offended by an issue and in this instance, introducing arguements of racial or social injustice when it has nothing to do with that issue.

captaincantona

Disloyal player? What about club?
Disloyal club? Explain...

and for the record...the club as an entity and it’s leadership, owners and board etc get much more abuse than Pogba.

I don’t recall yellow and green campaigns and marches and riots outside the stadium against Pogba. I mean,youre not suggesting that are you?

captaincantona

She’s clearly not referring to each and every individual United supporter, but it’s a significant enough proportion given the regularity that our players are abused. It’s not that controversial.
How is it a significant proportion? Honestly...who knows figures here? There are millions and millions of fans who are not racist in the slightest...it’s these sweeping statements that inflate the issue. The truth is that a portion of internet users are fuking scum. No even proof that they are UTD fans. It’s bullshit. Over reaction out the door with statements like “fans are toxic”. It rubbish.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I called them toxic, I didn't call them racist or intolerant - you shouldn't put words in people's mouths.
Lingard, Jones, Rashford have called out the abuse they've received from our fans (and yes other fans) - Lingard spoke openly about his mental health, Jones said he turned down a testimonial because nobody would attend and he's seen the comments people make about his injuries, Rashford has had to take breaks from social media.
Our fans booed Martial on the weekend when he came on (and spent the last 12-18months or so abusing him on social media), Pogba has been confronted by match going fans, booed by match going fans, and also had to delete/address the abuse he gets on social media too.
You can go on & on & on, and talk about multiple players like Maguire, AWB, Smalling, Dan James etc
If you can't see that our fanbase is toxic, then again I insist you're being wilfully ignorant - but sure.

I don’t see millions of people suggesting that racist abuse and fans venting frustrations based on valid frustrations are one and the same. I see people like you bundling them together. That is woke if, as I do, you consider an example of being woke as people being offended by an issue and in this instance, introducing arguements of racial or social injustice when it has nothing to do with that issue.
Once again - point out where I've done that? I literally haven't even mentioned racial or social injustice - so we can put an end to that. It seems like you want to classify me in one way, but I haven't actually said or done anything of the sort.

What's the point of venting frustrations, what purpose does it serve to log into social media and abuse a player because you didn't like the way they performed?
And would you classify that behaviour as normal? Because i'm sure that you would take offence if you had 1000's of people on redcafe calling you all sorts of names for something you said/did and call them unhinged/toxic too.

captaincantona

What’s the point of venting frustrations, what purpose does it serve to log into social media and abuse a player because you didn't like the way they performed?
And would you classify that behaviour as normal? Because i'm sure that you would take offence if you had 1000's of people on redcafe calling you all sorts of names for something you said/did and call them unhinged/toxic too.
Join a players personal Instagram or fan club if you only want to discuss positives and high five each other about how great the player is.

Use a fan forum to converse about positives and negatives to do with a player or club. It’s notdifficult.

And this whole section of posts were in response to that idiotic stuff Pogba was subjected to. That is what led to your generalised and sweeping statement that our fans are toxic. Which I called bullshit on.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Join a players personal Instagram or fan club if you only want to discuss positives and high five each other about how great the player is.

Use a fan forum to converse about positives and negatives to do with a player or club. It’s notdifficult.

And this whole section of posts were in response to that idiotic stuff Pogba was subjected to. That is what led to your generalised and sweeping statement that our fans are toxic. Which I called bullshit on.
The first two points we can agree on, there's literally no point abusing players on their instagram or social media - especially as an adult, it's unhinged imo.

I still call our fans toxic, and I apply that statement to fans of other clubs too - but I don't keep tabs on what fans of other clubs do, however the current fan culture that's been cultivated by Youtube/podcast/social media personalities etc is not a healthy environment imo, and I think it's a breeding ground for toxicity.

roonster09

Scout
Disloyal club? Explain...

and for the record...the club as an entity and it’s leadership, owners and board etc get much more abuse than Pogba.

I don’t recall yellow and green campaigns and marches and riots outside the stadium against Pogba. I mean,youre not suggesting that are you?
Club discards players the moment they think player is not good enough, or they won't renew the contract. Are they disloyal to players?

captaincantona

Club discards players the moment they think player is not good enough, or they won't renew the contract. Are they disloyal to players?
Clubs can’t discard players. Players have contracts. A player signs a contract, being paid on the quite obvious assumption that they will give their best for the club. If their best is not good enough, they can’t be played simply because they have a contract but they do continue to be paid. Contract fulfilled.

If a player refuses to renew his contract then there are countless examples, Martial, Jesse, Pogba included judging it on RR’s comments, of where the player will still be given game time even though they don’t want to renew.

the issue with Pogba, for me, is that very early on it was clear we had spent €90 million on a midfielder that saw us as a stepping stone and began making those noises as soon as he could. It was not loyalty at all and in stark contrast to the stories he spun initially on his return. His agent and family created noise when we needed performances and he did nothing to prevent that. It made it very difficult to be proud of him in a Utd shirt. So I’m glad he is moving on. Anyone that gives him guff for his religion or otherwise is scum.

roonster09

Scout
Clubs can’t discard players. Players have contracts. A player signs a contract, being paid on the quite obvious assumption that they will give their best for the club. If their best is not good enough, they can’t be played simply because they have a contract but they do continue to be paid. Contract fulfilled.

If a player refuses to renew his contract then there are countless examples, Martial, Jesse, Pogba included judging it on RR’s comments, of where the player will still be given game time even though they don’t want to renew.

the issue with Pogba, for me, is that very early on it was clear we had spent €90 million on a midfielder that saw us as a stepping stone and began making those noises as soon as he could. It was not loyalty at all and in stark contrast to the stories he spun initially on his return. His agent and family created noise when we needed performances and he did nothing to prevent that. It made it very difficult to be proud of him in a Utd shirt. So I’m glad he is moving on. Anyone that gives him guff for his religion or otherwise is scum.
Why do you think Pogba or any player who signs for ManUtd are loyal when they are leaving their old clubs to join us?

Pogba is also fulfilling his contract. ManUtd or any club won't offer contract to players they think are of no use to them. Likewise players who want to move on won't sign extension. Loyalty is very loose term, it's a business for both clubs and players. For players their careers are short, they have to think about money, how team is doing and their chances to win trophies. Likewise club thinks about different things when offering contract.

There is no loyalty or disloyalty. It's just people do what's suits them best.

Also players will be given game time? Not everyone of them. Martial was excluded from so many match day squads and he barely played, Romero was treated like shit, Herrera wasn't even told about his extension (option to extend). Both clubs and players do what's best for them.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Bollox. Who exactly are you talking about and what percentage of out fan base do they account for? Over reaction and virtue signaling of the most irritating sort.
The social media fan-base which in today's world counts for a significant portion. It's not exactly a minority if it's causing him to delete a post about his faith.

Roane

With regards to toxicity there is an increasing amount of this generally in society. Does that mean every person is? No

With regards to fans and toxicity then I'm not sure anyone can argue this isn't a thing. Even on fora such as this there is plenty of evidence. Of course it depends on the result etc at any given moment.

Take rashford and his two recent goals. If you are on forums then generally you will see positive vibes. However previous to this he was being slated for all sorts of things, with a strange obsession on his feeding the poor. I even saw people using words like woke/SJW for him. As in he is too busy being woke/sjw feeding poor than focussed on football.

I also don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that Pogba gets more stick than most. Whether that's the profile, price tag, expectation is irrelevant depending on what's said about him. Most will point to his style or lack of effort but there are some dubious comments about him too.

90 + 5min

The social media fan-base which in today's world counts for a significant portion. It's not exactly a minority if it's causing him to delete a post about his faith.
I'm wondering what was written exactly there because it is not first time his posts include negativity and critism from fans. Just curious.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Notice how most people on Facebook are a bit more careful about what they post compared to Twitter? It's almost as if they do this because their name is there in black and white for all to see and there's no hiding.

Being able to be anonymous on twitter basically is just a free pass for abuse for many people. It needs to stop. If you need anonymity to post things about football then clearly what you're saying isn't the best is it?

I will openly admit I want Pogba gone from the club and have my reasons. However abusing him over his skin colour or religion is just not right and needs calling out.

Twitter is just a breeding ground for hate. It didn't used to be but thats how it's gone over time.

mctrials23

What I find hilarious about social media is that its largely a platform for self obsessed narcissists to have other like minded people stroke their egos and then they cry when some people think they are fecking pillocks.

It goes both ways. If you want to get all the unmerited sycophantic love-in comments then you have to put up with people calling you an idiot as well. There is never any room for racist and sexist abuse ever but TikTok borderline makes me want an asteroid to wipe out humanity its so pathetic. Instagram is slightly better but not massively.

What isn't spoken about enough when it comes to toxicity on social media is the core premise of wealthy people being idolised almost entirely for being wealthy. Thats horribly toxic in itself.

Pogba is a fantastic player when hes on form but how anyone can defend his general performances during his time at United is beyond me. It feels like it comes down to emotional attachments and the feelings that a lot of people express about him being victimised. Hes paid crazy wages, doesn't seem to care about United and only puts in the work when things are going well. He will dismantle a team one week and be anonymous the next. He justifies his wages about 10% of the time.

I think Pogba is a bit of a wally but he also seems like a really nice and fun guy. If he worked his ass off for the club he would 100% be our most popular player and I don't have even a slight doubt about that. There may be some racial/religious element to some peoples dislike of him but thats the tiny tiny minority. Most people just don't think he works hard enough or cares enough about the team that is paying him more in a week than 99% of us earn in a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.