Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ole90+3

I don't rate Matic, but we suddenly looked miles better when he came on.

That was one of the worst performances from a Manchester United central midfielder I've ever seen. No concept of game management, daft flicks and extra touches that invited pressure, defensive positioning non existent, and seemed to lose ever 50/50 in the air. He's not a central midfielder.
None of what you said takes away from the truth of my statement. I mean he’s one of the most self indulgent footballers I’ve ever witnessed but he’s regularly out best player and manages to win games for us through his next level creativity

Born2Lose

He's been good this season but once we went down to 10 he should have been one of the first off, it's not his game to press and track back.

Ludens the Red

He was awful today. Though I’d definitely have taken him off at half time if I was to change to that system. You don’t play Pogba in that system and expect it to end well.

MadMike

Should have left fred on and taken Pogba off.
He’s not a player who keeps possession when needed. He’s a player who will do something great with the ball if we’re already controlling possession. Keeping both him and Bruno on in the 2nd and leaving Fred to do all the work alone in midfield was poor from Ole.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Keep it simple or something.
I just don't understand his mentality at times. You're taught as a young player that after trying something that doesn't come off to keep it simple the next two or three times you receive the ball. Especially as a centre midfielder.

The United

I don't blame him though for being off once in awhile and in general this game.

Not sure what coaching staff was thinking with all the sub decisions.

Sylar

Hes always kinda useless when we go down to ten men. And for some reason we always see Bruno subbed before him. I was shocked to see Fred subbed before him too (or instead of him). I didnt get that at all.

It seemed like he started on the left today, and there were times Ole was telling him to go centrally in the first half. But I didnt get it today.. It wasnt good.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Is Pogba a "backs against the wall" player? He certainly can be a "scruff of the neck" player... But...

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Unsure why he stayed on and Bruno came off. Looked a bit leggy at the end and he's just not a midfielder to have on when you need to battle for every ball. Not his game though, so more on the manager.

spiriticon

I actually thought he tried his very best today in a situation that clearly did not suit him. Not surprised if he's completely wiped of energy tonight and is on the bench this weekend.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Had a great start to the season but was poor from the start tonight imo. I got the impression he felt he could coast and still perform, but was second best.

Stacks

Won't judge him after the red. Before the red, he was dreadful.

Baffling player at times. You expect him to strut his stuff at times and then he performs at a mediocre level.
What the feck was the performance from him? He was awful even before the red, kept giving it away. After the red provided nothing. That's why he is so frustrating. So good for a few games then comes with a hilariously bad bottom level.
Just typical of him it’s the same every year
YB pressed him brilliantly - could tell it was a deliberate tactic. It's something he still struggles with. He did still have a few nice moments but it was a rough game for him.
BY nature he is an inconsistent player. We have 4 years of sample size. Its not that he isn't trying or doesn't want to play well.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
He lost the ball a criminal amount of times in front of our box because he always seems to think he's in the opposition's half.

His defensive awareness is shocking. Honestly, as much as I love watching him attack, I think we'll be better served if he leaves and we can get a proper workhorse who can also play a bit, a bit like Klopp with his midfield.

MadMike

BY nature he is an inconsistent player. We have 4 years of sample size. Its not that he isn't trying or doesn't want to play well.
It’s not just that. Pogba is a player that will try audacious stuff and can produce magic when given space. But he’s not the kind of player who will keep a calm head and keep it simple in midfield when the team is struggling to maintain possession and is being pressed. He will keep trying to do complicated stuff and losing the ball instead of keeping it simple.

He’s similar to Ozil in some ways. He’s a flair player. You don’t want him in you central midfield when you’re down to 10 men and playing with your backs against the wall. I’d rather have two Freds than Pogba out there today.

MattofManchester

Inconsistent would mean his level goes and down during the course of the match, especially when his talent is so many levels above the opposition.

I've a feeling Pogba has a serious mentality problem, especially when he's put under pressure.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He's not inconsistent, he's just poor when pressed. Seems like Ole's trying to turn him into something he isn't, again.

I still question the point of having a very good midfielder who only works in some conditions.

MattofManchester

Seems like Ole's trying to turn him into something he isn't, again.
I don't think Ole is responsible for the opposition choosing to press Pogba. He played off the left for the first 35 minutes and I don't recall a time he didn't lose the ball.
It was a pathetic performance.
If he struggles to deal with pressing, it's perhaps something he should work on. He can't be a weakness every time we come up against a demonic press ffs.

UpWithRivers

I swear if we got Messi we would play him in a double pivot then slag him off. How many years do we have to keep going at this. Yes in certain games with Matic we can get away with it sometimes but if a team has a decent midfield and especially if we are down to 10 men then it doesnt work. Ever. Its not his fault. He's not that kind of player.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He was awful which is par for the course for him, one good game, one terrible.

However, messing with his position really doesn't help him or the team, there is no continuity in our centre midfield selections to build up functioning partnerships. Either he is first choice LW or first choice CM, pick one. Both come with limitations but he's not going to be benched.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I don't think Ole is responsible for the opposition choosing to press Pogba. He played off the left for the first 35 minutes and I don't recall a time he didn't lose the ball.
It was a pathetic performance.
If he struggles to deal with pressing, it's perhaps something he should work on. He can't be a weakness every time we come up against a demonic press ffs.
He's not changing anything in his game at this stage of his career. Period. We either accept it and pay him massive wages, or decide it's not worth it and let him leave.
Ole is responsible for keeping him on the pitch until the end, whatever he was supposed to be doing, it didn't work out. I thought we shouldn't break Fred - VdB partnership.
His bad games are too easy do predict, so it's more of a problem with Ole than Pogba himself. Especially if he keeps playing him in high pressing games and he fails again.

Dante

Average bang
He's consistently dangerous in one-off moments and consistently sloppy when pressed.

Inconsistency is not the problem with Pogba. What we're seeing from one game to another is a difference in how the opposition managers choose to deal with him. The results are almost always predictable.

MattofManchester

e's not changing anything in his game at this stage of his career. Period. We either take accept it and pay him massive wages, or decide it's not worth it and let him leave.
Ole is responsible for keeping him on the pitch until the end
You're going into two separate topics here. Whether Ole is responsible for Pogba's performances, or whether he is responsible for him staying on the pitch when he's been a distaster. I'll agree that it wasn't a good decision to leave him on, even if you do believe he could spark one moment. I think that's asking for trouble. That's on Ole.
However, Pogba being susceptible to the press is purely down to Pogba. If he can't deal with it, he's going to have a very hard time as we navigate through the CL and the PL, as more and more teams are shifting towards intense pressing and its now been mightily exposed as his weakness. Also, I don't agree with the "at this stage of his career bit". The best and most elite are always working to improve themselves. It is an obsession.

For the most part, I think we should let him leave. He has no designated place in the team. He can't play LM, as he's not a natural there and once we're back to full strength there, that position will be locked down. He can't play CM because we're too open defensively and he's not the type of midfielder who can control a game. He could be, but I don't think he wants to be. Pogba's personality tells you he likes to be flashy and flamboyant, and his football is similar. Him and Bruno will never be the disciplined, metronomic types.
Then go out and get 2 quality midfielders that improve us. I feel having balance in our team would just about even out the loss of Pogba's quality, bringing more control and consistency to the way we play.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Average but hardworking Swiss teams are his kryptonite.

But unlike the Euros where he had a good first half he just had a fully awful performance tonight. I don’t recall one good thing he did. They closed him down and he shrank to the point where we may as well have been playing with 9 men. Bruno not far behind him. The shortest honeymoon period ever is over with a bang. We were always going to get found out eventually playing so loose. We need to regroup and focus on finding some aggression and structure to our play or we are going to get ripped apart by better teams.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
You're going into two separate topics here. Whether Ole is responsible for Pogba's performances, or whether he is responsible for him staying on the pitch when he's been a distaster. I'll agree that it wasn't a good decision to leave him on, even if you do believe he could spark one moment. I think that's asking for trouble. That's on Ole.
However, Pogba being susceptible to the press is purely down to Pogba. If he can't deal with it, he's going to have a very hard time as we navigate through the CL and the PL, as more and more teams are shifting towards intense pressing and its now been mightily exposed as his weakness. Also, I don't agree with the "at this stage of his career bit". The best and most elite are always working to improve themselves. It is an obsession.

For the most part, I think we should let him leave. He has no designated place in the team. He can't play LM, as he's not a natural there and once we're back to full strength there, that position will be locked down. He can't play CM because we're too open defensively and he's not the type of midfielder who can control a game. He could be, but I don't think he wants to be. Pogba's personality tells you he likes to be flashy and flamboyant, and his football is similar. Him and Bruno will never be the disciplined, metronomic types.
Then go out and get 2 quality midfielders that improve us. I feel having balance in our team would just about even out the loss of Pogba's quality, bringing more control and consistency to the way we play.
Mate I've been saying this all summer. We really are thin in midfield and Pogba isn't the answer. Less and less teams will approach us like Newcastle did.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He's consistently dangerous in one-off moments and consistently sloppy when pressed.

Inconsistency is not the problem with Pogba. What we're seeing from one game to another is a difference in how the opposition managers choose to deal with him. The results are almost always predictable.
If he was that consistent shouldn’t he have produced at least one positive moment tonight? The only consistency from him tonight was how consistently he got caught in possession.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
looked like he never adjusted to the pitch, slipping and miscontrolling a lot

MUFCAFC

Supports
Charlton, United
I really wouldn’t get carried away about this performance not being great...

I think the lacking of a real defensive midfielder who can control the game was evident after the red card, desperately needed someone to hold the team together.

If the red card doesn’t happen, it’s very likely the game goes to 2-0 before the hour mark and Pogba creates a few chances and plays a lot better.

Can’t blame him at all for not producing magic in 10 man, bad team performance, away, against a team giving you no time on the ball.

He’ll be back (he better cause I just put him in my fantasy team).

Denis Irwinning

When he starts receiving the ball with his back to goal and a man right up behind him, you know he's gonna lose possession.

Dominos

He lost the ball a criminal amount of times in front of our box because he always seems to think he's in the opposition's half.
This is why I just don't like him in that deep midfield role. He's just too liable to lose the ball in dangerous areas - he likes to dally on the ball, try a dribble past 3 players, prone to sloppy touches and inconsistent short passing game.

In an easier game on paper like Newcastle at home, sure we can get away with it. It's a 5 year experiment that we're still trying to make work.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
This is why I just don't like him in that deep midfield role. He's just too liable to lose the ball in dangerous areas - he likes to dally on the ball, try a dribble past 3 players, prone to sloppy touches and inconsistent short passing game.

In an easier game on paper like Newcastle at home, sure we can get away with it. It's a 5 year experiment that we're still trying to make work.
Yup, this is why even though I think he's a great player, I think we should have sold him 3 years ago.

We should have gone for Tielemans and maybe one or two more and set us up to be in a similar position in our midfield right now, as we are in our attack and defense with young players of proven quality and good experience.

Obviously, with one summer of decent buys everyone forgot about our awful midfield mismanagement for years and years.

AshRK

I swear if we got Messi we would play him in a double pivot then slag him off. How many years do we have to keep going at this. Yes in certain games with Matic we can get away with it sometimes but if a team has a decent midfield and especially if we are down to 10 men then it doesnt work. Ever. Its not his fault. He's not that kind of player.
But he didn't play in double pivot today. It was fred and VDB inndouble pivot and Pogba as Left midfield/left winger. He was horrible even before the red card so stop blaming that on the manager.

MadMike

I know this might sound like a lot of hindsight, but he was so bad even in that first half that hooking VDB ahead of him was an obvious mistake imo. Bringing a defender instead of a CM was another poor mistake from Ole as Ronaldo got isolated and we got completely dominated in midfield with Bruno and Pogba being hapless there.

If that sub was Pogba for Matic instead and we switched to 4-3-1-1 with Matic shielding, VDB and Fred pressing, while Bruno was supporting Ronaldo…. I feel we would have retained far better control of the game.

Last edited:

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I know this might sound like a lot of hindsight, but he was so bad even in that first half that hooking VDB ahead of him was an obvious mistake imo. Bringing a defender instead of a CM was another poor mistake from Ole as Ronaldo got isolated we got completely dominated in midfielder the Bruno and Pogba being hapless there.

If that sub was Pogba for Matic and we switched to 4-3-1-1 with Matic shielding, VDB and Fred pressing, while was Bruno supporting Ronaldo…. I feel we would have retained far better control of the game.
I agree with this.

MadMike

But he didn't play in double pivot today. It was fred and VDB inndouble pivot and Pogba as Left midfield/left winger. He was horrible even before the red card so stop blaming that on the manager.
You’re right but after the red he played in the centre next to Fred. And he was even worse.

AshRK

You’re right but after the red he played in the centre next to Fred. And he was even worse.
I thought the whole set up was wierd after the red card and not blaming pogba for that but he did not play in a double pivot for the first 38 mins and he was poor even then. He had a mare today. Hopefully bounces back against westham.

Status
Not open for further replies.