Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadMike

I agree with this.
The only thing I can give some benefit of the doubt to Ole for, is that he simply doesn’t trust VDB and we know this. So he was always likely to be the first CM hooked off regardless of how his performance compared to the other CMs. Because he sees him as an even worse liability to keep on the pitch.

EDIT: benefit of doubt perhaps not the correct phrase here. I mean I understand where he’s coming from if he has a bad opinion of VDB already.

MadMike

I thought the whole set up was wierd after the red card and not blaming pogba for that but he did not play in a double pivot for the first 38 mins and he was poor even then. He had a mare today. Hopefully bounces back against westham.
Fingers crossed, but one would argue he might need a rest too.

Hasn’t he played every minute so far for both United and France? I think he has clocked 8 full games in one month of football. Overplaying him early in the season might not be too wise, he could get injured again.

Abraxas

From sublime to poor within the space of two games.

Couldn't get into the game in that left wing position, it seems to be a role he either works in or he doesn't in certain fixtures depending on the opposition and how we play. It didn't work well today, they harried him well.

By the time he switched position he had already had a poor showing and the team were completely on the ropes. He didn't do much to turn that tide but there was a sense of inevitability due to the overall performance of the side.

lex talionis

Every footballer, even in form, will put in a bad shift. There was something about the mood of the players tonight top to bottom that didn’t seem right.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I know this might sound like a lot of hindsight, but he was so bad even in that first half that hooking VDB ahead of him was an obvious mistake imo. Bringing a defender instead of a CM was another poor mistake from Ole as Ronaldo got isolated and we got completely dominated in midfield with Bruno and Pogba being hapless there.

If that sub was Pogba for Matic instead and we switched to 4-3-1-1 with Matic shielding, VDB and Fred pressing, while Bruno was supporting Ronaldo…. I feel we would have retained far better control of the game.
Agreed. It is infuriating that Ole doesn't see that Pogba is not a reliable centre midfielder, and that he doesn't trust Donny Van De Beek, an actual centre midfielder. It just exacerbates the fact that we did not make a midfield signing this season.

The United

Back to his old normal self again. You know, the one who has to hog the ball, jog around, lose possession in dangerous areas etc etc.
Funny a couple of people asked just yesterday that they had never seen Pogba do those.

And, that don't get the phrase " Keep it simple" with Pogba.

Eddy_JukeZ

Unfortunately, he had a stinker.

I still prefer him in midfield compared to his wide left position personally, but there is no excusing that performance regardless of his position.

Hopefully he bounces back vs West Ham.

ti vu

Hes always kinda useless when we go down to ten men. And for some reason we always see Bruno subbed before him. I was shocked to see Fred subbed before him too (or instead of him). I didnt get that at all.

It seemed like he started on the left today, and there were times Ole was telling him to go centrally in the first half. But I didnt get it today.. It wasnt good.
If I have to guess, I would say perhaps our manager think he has the physique to help with the set piece, and he as the most quality long ball in the team. The issue however is that in these type of situation, playing him like this further hinder our midfield.

Strange indeed.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I know this might sound like a lot of hindsight, but he was so bad even in that first half that hooking VDB ahead of him was an obvious mistake imo. Bringing a defender instead of a CM was another poor mistake from Ole as Ronaldo got isolated and we got completely dominated in midfield with Bruno and Pogba being hapless there.

If that sub was Pogba for Matic instead and we switched to 4-3-1-1 with Matic shielding, VDB and Fred pressing, while Bruno was supporting Ronaldo…. I feel we would have retained far better control of the game.
This is what I suggested in Matic as single pivot thread. Just pair him with two midfielders.

But yeah, we reverted to good old Fred - Pogba pairing. Maybe it wouldn't have worked, but leaving both Bruno and Pogba on the pitch was obvious mistake.

MadMike

This is what I suggested in Matic as single pivot thread. Just pair him with two midfielders.

But yeah, we reverted to good old Fred - Pogba pairing. Maybe it wouldn't have worked, but leaving both Bruno and Pogba on the pitch was obvious mistake.
One of Pogba or Bruno absolutely had to be sacrificed there because both were being comically poor on the ball, while offering no protection in midfield. Neither of them really merited staying on.

The reason I chose Pogba over Bruno, is because I thought Bruno could at least support Ronaldo a bit instead of leaving him isolated. Also because Pogba dropped deep only to give the ball away on the edge of our box repeatedly and that was just criminal. Although I think that might have happened exclusively in the second half and might be hindsight on my part.

MattofManchester

We should take it as far as we can to determine whether he gets a new contract, for the sole reason that we have to figure out where to play him.
Either he can adapt some of his defensive qualities so that it is absolutely possible to get him to play with a sole future DM, or we let him go, because he'll always be a player that destabilises the balance of the midfield.

West Ham 1:2 Man Utd

The United

Think he was decent. Keeping it simple in defense.

But, not so much in offense. Dribbling at half way line against 3-4 players and lost the ball and chance to start counter attacks at times.

Last edited:
Poor today in possession, for some reason reverted to that mode where he kept the ball 3 seconds too long every time and tried to beat a few midfielders instead of hitting a quick ball out to our wingers. Worked really hard though so credit for that.

The United

Poor today in possession, for some reason reverted to that mode where he kept the ball 3 seconds too long every time and tried to beat a few midfielders instead of hitting a quick ball out to our wingers. Worked really hard though so credit for that.
Just quoted for 'keep it simple' for those who still don't know what it is with Pogba.

Idxomer

He played well today and didn't really lose the ball that much, he and AWB were basically the only two players in the side who were able to dribble.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Good in the first half but very poor in the second half. Killing attacks by being caught in possession. Taking him off won us the game and de geas save.

Highfather_24

Good first half, tired and sloppy in the second. Understandable, he has played a lot in the last 3 week.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Should be yellow for the early challenge on him. Sooner or later he will conjure something up, needs to play and be part of this team.

Devil may care

Didn't produce as much magic on the ball today but I thought he was up for the scrap and the way he drifts in to give us a transition option in midfield is vital when using McFred.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
He was decent today. Not terrible not great. I think that foul on him took a toll on his leg today.. didn't move freely after that

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not at his best today, but not poor. either He drifted inside quite a bit to shore up the midfield and limited his attacking play

lostcauz

Rashford should have that LW position locked down once he’s back, we look too flat with Bruno and Pogba playing higher up the pitch.

Sylar

Just quoted for 'keep it simple' for those who still don't know what it is with Pogba.
I think when he keeps it simple he does it so well and better than anybody

Id like to see the stats cos I thought the first half he was really good in possession but maybe got tired in second half and it went into his decisions

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
With our best team out Pogba would have to move into the MF for me, even though away from home he can be a liability there. Wasted on the LW.

The United

With our best team out Pogba would have to move into the MF for me, even though away from home he can be a liability there. Wasted on the LW.
He never plays on LW. He was playing as MF on left center according to the heat map. And, sometimes even right side.

So, he is where he is good at.

Bruno seemed to play on the left wing more than he did apparently.

Stacks

He has no outstanding position for us. he can drop an 8 in most positions from time to time but then much lower in many other games. He is an inconsistent player by nature so we just need to pick a position, hold our guns and stick to it and just accept that sometimes he wont be what you want him to be.

Shimo

He was very good in the first half I thought but, was over complicating things in the second half. At this point, after the first couple times of what turned out to be poor decisions on the ball, he should recognize it himself and adjust his play.

But, also, rather than pulling him off, Ole should have simply have got the message to him to keep it a bit more simple. Dropping him next to either Scott or Fred would have made him do just that but, still giving him a chance to impact the game all the while bringing on another attacker as West Ham really were tiring.

g11

He is just liability on defense no matter where he plays. Bruno as a 10 puts in more defensive effort than Pogba as LCM or CM.

el3mel

We don't really know our best team yet though, do we ? Sancho hasn't been that good and we don't know what Rashford's form will be when he returns. At the moment I actually think Pogba - Ronaldo - Greenwood is our best attack lineup till Sancho improves.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Lingard and Sancho quickened up our play when they came on. Paul was killing attacks in that second half. Good in the first half though.

Status
Not open for further replies.