Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

United in sin

Somebody convince him that he's still playing for France this weekend. He was fecking unplayable today. Strength of an ox, literal eye of the needle passes and when he gets going you can't stop him. World class no matter what people say. Made Rodri and Busquets look like clowns.
Good post. I don't think he needs convincing though, he's been the best CM in the league so far

Eddy_JukeZ

The idea he can't play in central midfield is complete nonsense.

He's had plenty of great performances in that position.

He was superb today.

Oranges038

No he does, you saying you have never "seen him put in a shift like he has tonight in a Utd shirt." says more about you and your perception of his games for us.
I'm not in the mood to debate delusion.
He hasn't and that is not perception or delusion. He does not play like that for Utd. Never has and never will.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

He was superb today.
Very true. One can legitimately argue he hasn't shown the consistency hoped in but to say he's never had good or great as a pure CM is pure lunacy or the result of pent up anger

He was superb today.
Exactly. We’ve even seen it for ourselves when he’s played CM… don’t know why Ole has strange fetish for McFred.

Got a feeding Pogba and DVB leave, they don’t get replaced with equal class players. People further moan about our midfield being rubbish while those two shine as central midfielders in their new clubs.

lost7

He hasn't and that is not perception or delusion. He does not play like that for Utd. Never has and never will.
He's had a lot better games for us than what he did tonight. You must be seriously kidding yourself if you think that's not the case. He was good tonight, but it's not like he dominated the midfield or anything of the sort. Spain was in control most of the game...

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
The problem with us is consistency. We see the genius and then a pub player. I think he plays better on a counter attacking team where there is space for him to pick a pass. When teams put 11 behind the ball camped in their own half, it becomes difficult for any playmaker to pick a pass, simply because there is no space.

laughtersassassin

He really isn't as inconsistent as touted.

More so Manchester United are inconsistent and by extension most of our players will appear that way

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Very true. One can legitimately argue he hasn't shown the consistency hoped in but to say he's never had good or great as a pure CM is pure lunacy or the result of pent up anger
The vocal minority of our fanbase who always see the glass half empty with Pogba do my head in.

villain

Hates Beyoncé

More so Manchester United are inconsistent and by extension most of our players will appear that way
he’s never played like this for us apparently, our fans :lol:

i can’t remember who it was who basically wrote that every time Pogba has a good game it gets forgotten after a week

Mainoldo

Our team isn’t too dissimilar to Frances too. We should just copy and paste.

pascell

I think the difference is having Tchaomeni (sp?) as your midfield partner and the keystone cops that we’ve got.
Yep we're just as much at fault for his inconsistencies. A mixture of lacking in the coaching department and not forming a reliable and balanced midfield with him in has contributed to his inconsistent performances.

I wouldn't be surprised if he left for free again, we'd have promised him when he signed that we'd build a team that would challenge consistently for major honours, which we have failed to do. We also brought in a manager in Jose who, well, we know how that went down.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
He is into his sixth season at United (not counting the first spell) and has an Europa League and a League Cup to show for it.

I got a quality control warning when suggesting that he was wasted at United two years ago but still struggle to see how he isn't. World record signing, key player for world champions and is condemned to battling for fourth every year.

I mantain that United are lucky to have him.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
if he has some synergy at international level with an affordable midfielder it would be stupid of us to ignore that, even in January, especially if we are signing him up to a massive new deal.

I think he’ll be the same streaky player but we have to change something.

AFC NimbleThumb

I maintain a better manager would have a 3 man midfield with Pogba singing a tune.
He is into his sixth season at United (not counting the first spell) and has an Europa League and a League Cup to show for it.

I got a quality control warning when suggesting that he was wasted at United two years ago but still struggle to see how he isn't. World record signing, key player for world champions and is condemned to battling for fourth every year.

I mantain that United are lucky to have him.
I got similar when I first joined because I try to defend him early on. Funny you can call him all sorts with no intervention but try to counter & not so much.

MileStolar

If you look at what kind of impact Bruno had on our team you can look at Pogba and say he's a luxury player, as he sunk with the team rather than lifting it up like Bruno did.

On the other hand if you compare their international performances it is a completely different story.

He has freedom for France. He chases the ball all over the pitch and only runs when he feels like it. He doesn't position himself in places to receive the ball from others, he goes over to try and get it himself. I watched him off the ball for a bit and sometimes he tracks his man, sometimes he doesnt. France put Tchouameni there to cover and to be frank until 60 minutes they couldn't get near the ball. It only started to work when the game opened up.

We give Bruno the licence to play like that, we can't afford another in there doing the same thing. Unless we figure out some way to play a diamond in the middle I don't see how we will ever get last nights kind of performance from him.

NZT-One

I think the difference is having Tchaomeni (sp?) as your midfield partner and the keystone cops that we’ve got.
Having a Tchouameni-type player next to Pogba is obviously different to the midfield partners we put next to Pogba but if you have a look at the rest of the France team, there are more differences as well. For what its worth - France played with 3 CBs, usually with that sort of defense, one of the CBs is allowed to step out and support midfield in the areas of the pitch, that are mostly worked by a DM. France also played Parvard and Theo Hernandez as Wingbacks, both strong players, who work a lot and are very sound defensively. That is a hell of fundament to play on and it helps Pogba because not everything stands and falls with him. We all know, what he is capable of in the right setup, but at United we a) haven't really seen any setups that really favor him (maybe the LM role) and b) aren't equipped with compatible midfield partners. Plus, I am not sure, how well it would be received to see a United team set up like that

-------------------De Gea--------------------
--- Lindelof - Maguire - Varane ---
AWB ------- X ----- Pogba ----- Shaw
--------------------Bruno----------------------
---------Ronaldo ----- ??-------------------

Are we ready to bench 4 out of 7 players including Greenwood, Rashford, Sancho, Cavani, Bruno, Ronaldo, Martial? Just to accomodate Pogba?

Real Name

Truth is somewhere in the middle between United is wasting him and are lucky to have him and he never had a good game or in incosistent.
I mean, its his 6th year and we still talk about what midfield partners should he have and who should we buy to play alongside him. On one hand its true we never find those players although we changed about 6 of them and with Jose it was all a mess and with Ole he has McT and Fred behind him most times. That tells me 2 things, one that he's really a luxury player cause he always needs a player or 2 to shine cause apparently he cant play in midfield (although he's a midfielder) and the other is even when everything is settled he goes from few good games to few bad ones in short time. He really sometimes plays like he doesn't care. I know his fans will jump on this cause in their eyes he's faultless but that's how it is.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
If you look at what kind of impact Bruno had on our team you can look at Pogba and say he's a luxury player, as he sunk with the team rather than lifting it up like Bruno did.

On the other hand if you compare their international performances it is a completely different story.
Bruno, like Pogba is a brilliant player. But football is more of a team sport. Bruno had a much bigger initial impact, in his first six months however since then I think his impact has waned and is also overplayed. He joined a much better side than Pogba did (Blind at cb, Mata rw, Fellaini CM, Valencia and Young FB) but I’m sure after two seasons we’d won two trophies with Pogba and he played a big part in them. We’ve won nothing with Bruno, not his fault, but when we went top last year or when we played in semi finals and finals he’s had little impact. In fact his form was poor when we went top last season and he was atrocious in the EL final.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Truth is somewhere in the middle between United is wasting him and are lucky to have him and he never had a good game or in incosistent.
I mean, its his 6th year and we still talk about what midfield partners should he have and who should we buy to play alongside him. On one hand its true we never find those players although we changed about 6 of them and with Jose it was all a mess and with Ole he has McT and Fred behind him most times. That tells me 2 things, one that he's really a luxury player cause he always needs a player or 2 to shine cause apparently he cant play in midfield (although he's a midfielder) and the other is even when everything is settled he goes from few good games to few bad ones in short time. He really sometimes plays like he doesn't care. I know his fans will jump on this cause in their eyes he's faultless but that's how it is.
And then you wrote that :lol:

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
He's consistent and all other players are not?
He’s been one of our most consistent players in 2021, perhaps Shaw and Maguire also. I’ve only ever seen Roy Keane be truly consistent over a period of years. All players have good and bad form. The fact Pogba is being called inconsistent when others aren’t is really the issue.

KeanoMagicHat

Pogba proved he can play in the CM/DM in his past few games with France, so that should be positive, although I've given up on expecting him to be as good as he is for France there. Maybe it's time to give him a long run in that position and give up on the Fred/McTominay partnership.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Bruno, like Pogba is a brilliant player. But football is more of a team sport. Bruno had a much bigger initial impact, in his first six months however since then I think his impact has waned and is also overplayed. He joined a much better side than Pogba did (Blind at cb, Mata rw, Fellaini CM, Valencia and Young FB) but I’m sure after two seasons we’d won two trophies with Pogba and he played a big part in them. We’ve won nothing with Bruno, not his fault, but when we went top last year or when we played in semi finals and finals he’s had little impact. In fact his form was poor when we went top last season and he was atrocious in the EL final.
This is a good post.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Pogba joined the team with Matic, Herrera as CMs, Mkhi as RW, Bailly as a CB. You just picked worse possible options to make it sound worse than it was.

You can also come up with, Bruno joined the team with Andreas Pereira, Lingard, James playing regularly.

Also not sure which semi finals you are talking about, Bruno and Cavani destroyed Roma in Semi Finals, especially Cavani.

Anyways football is a team game, you won't win trophies with one player alone. You need good team along with good coach to win trophies.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Pogba joined the team with Matic, Herrera as CMs, Mkhi as RW, Bailly as a CB. You just picked worse possible options to make it sound worse than it was.

You can also come up with, Bruno joined the team with Andreas Pereira, Lingard, James playing regularly.

Also not sure which semi finals you are talking about, Bruno and Cavani destroyed Roma in Semi Finals, especially Cavani.

Anyways football is a team game, you won't win trophies with one player alone. You need good team along with good coach to win trophies.
Nope.

In addition Mikhi and Bailly have been massive flops all things considered. Nothing like having Maguire and Greenwood in the side. As for Pereira, Lingard and James well the first two players were playing in Bruno’s position and james had been replaced by Greenwood largely. Do you really want to argue that Bruno didn’t come into a much better side than Pogba?

Your last statement is exactly the point. But Pogba gets criticised and questioned for his consistency more than any other player. When he is no less consistent than others. Bruno is benchmarked when he himself has had huge periods of poor form and impact wise…well we’ve not won anything and in the same time period when Pogba joined we did, with a much worse side. That’s not to blame Bruno, it is to question the impact because where is the tangible evidence of having a much greater impact.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
There isn't a mdifielder in the history of the game that didn't need a player or two to shine. I really don't understand those points, take any player, any midfielder in the history of Football and you will notice that none of them were alone, they all shone with top players around them.

Real Name

There isn't a mdifielder in the history of the game that didn't need a player or two to shine. I really don't understand those points, take any player, any midfielder in the history of Football and you will notice that none of them were alone, they all shone with top players around them.
Some players shine even though their midfield partners are not up to his level. Since he came we've been hearing about which position he's the best in (left sided midfielder, attacking midfielder behind a striker, CM) or where he cant play and that he isnt someone who can take the game by the scruff or solve a game on his own. (Last 2 things by his fans which is strange a bit). Maybe I wasnt clear but its been who we need to buy to play alongside him. So maybe United failed miserably in buying midfielders to be his midfield partners or its something else. That's why I think he's a luxury player.
Right now McFred is blamed for his poor performances at the club. By some. Of course on the other side of the coin he's by some portrayed as some shit player.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Some players shine even though their midfield partners are not up to his level. Since he came we've been hearing about which position he's the best in (left sided midfielder, attacking midfielder behind a striker, CM) or where he cant play and that he isnt someone who can take the game by the scruff or solve a game on his own. (Last 2 things by his fans which is strange a bit). Maybe I wasnt clear but its been who we need to buy to play alongside him. So maybe United failed miserably in buying midfielders to be his midfield partners or its something else. That's why I think he's a luxury player.
Right now McFred is blamed for his poor performances at the club. By some. Of course on the other side of the coin he's by some portrayed as some shit player.
Who are the players that have shone regularly under those conditions?

Real Name

He’s been one of our most consistent players in 2021, perhaps Shaw and Maguire also. I’ve only ever seen Roy Keane be truly consistent over a period of years. All players have good and bad form. The fact Pogba is being called inconsistent when others aren’t is really the issue.
Others arent called on it? Where, here?

Real Name

Nope.

In addition Mikhi and Bailly have been massive flops all things considered. Nothing like having Maguire and Greenwood in the side. As for Pereira, Lingard and James well the first two players were playing in Bruno’s position and james had been replaced by Greenwood largely. Do you really want to argue that Bruno didn’t come into a much better side than Pogba?

Your last statement is exactly the point. But Pogba gets criticised and questioned for his consistency more than any other player. When he is no less consistent than others. Bruno is benchmarked when he himself has had huge periods of poor form and impact wise…well we’ve not won anything and in the same time period when Pogba joined we did, with a much worse side. That’s not to blame Bruno, it is to question the impact because where is the tangible evidence of having a much greater impact.
You forgot Pogba played with Zlatan too when he came. Even if the team in which Bruno came is better it certainly isnt so much better as you say. It is if you move goalposts like in your post.

Real Name

Who are the players that have shone regularly under those conditions?
I didnt say regularly but from time to time. I think we dont understand each other. All in all it has been a bad or a patchy relationship from the start. Neither Jose or Ole knew or know how exactly to use him and with what players to pair him with. Also neglecting the midfield hasnt exactly helped. But on the other hand he's not faultless in the whole story cause I've heard a whole array of excuses for his poor games till now.
Club's in a bit of a mess and he's in the middle of it. The fact he still hasnt signed points he probably wont and he shouldnt be pushed or begged to do it. It hasnt worked out, time to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.