Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RuudTom83

You wouldn't mind if it was Keane or Rio coming out with this after a bad game...but seriously Paul! you can't speak after a performance like that...immediately putting the blame on others.

He was awful and should take a look at himself first.

He was actually quite good early on until we started to really lose control of the game.

I still don't think a team can have two players with the freedom that Bruno and him need to play at their best.

You wouldn't mind if it was Keane or Rio coming out with this after a bad game...but seriously Paul! you can't speak after a performance like that...immediately putting the blame on others.

He was awful and should take a look at himself first.
He said “we” so that includes himself

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Proven correct on what exactly? The squads littered with underachievers, Maguire as club captain is fecking criminal. Fred was shite under Jose & now OgS. Matic has been a terrible purchase. Lindelof was in a defence that conceded 4 today, another Jose buy. The list goes on.

Who exactly are ‘those’ blaming the managers? Posters aren’t saying Pogba is blameless in this current predicament, that’s a strawman argument. It’s the constant bile for one player whilst countless others are just as bad, if not worse, that I [personally] find confusing.

Maybe you’re right, he isn’t suited to the EPL but neither are numerous other players in the squad. I’m all for passionate outbursts when the energy is there for others but this is no different than people waiting for Ole losses to pounce on him which has been widely chastised regardless of credibility.
Difference is nobody think sun shines out of Fred's backside and the others. Pogba played today in his so called best role and McFred were nowhere to be seen for most of game. He got absolutely outplayed by a team not even in the CL.

This is the difference. This guy cost 90m and we expect more from him than likes of Mctomminay and co and yet we rarely see it.

Sick of telling people. Pogba is only world class when you allow him to be. Any team that actually closes him down and he crumbles. He can't handle it.

The United

He was not wrong with his comments.

I thought we were ok till we conceded the first goal and everyone went down a couple of levels.

AFC NimbleThumb

Difference is nobody think sun shines out of Fred's backside and the others. Pogba played today in his so called best role and McFred were nowhere to be seen for most of game. He got absolutely outplayed by a team not even in the CL.

This is the difference. This guy cost 90m and we expect more from him than likes of Mctomminay and co and yet we rarely see it.

Sick of telling people. Pogba is only world class when you allow him to be. Any team that actually closes him down and he crumbles. He can't handle it.
McTominay scored 2 goals against Leeds & there was a thread likening him to Gullit, Gerrard & Davids. Fred starts for Brazil & that’s been used as a reason he’s better as a DM than Fabinho. There are plenty of examples of all our players being vastly overrated. When you talk in absolutes about things like this it’s disingenuous.

As for costing £90mil, I’m yet to see Maguire beaten over the head with his £80mil price tag in the same manner. Fred cost £50mil+, he’s been a terrible buy. McTominay is a bang average youth product, the fact he cost us nothing isn’t something to champion him for.

As for the last Paragraph, I’m not going to argue how Pogba does under pressure with a man posing McFred as the answer.

To clarify, Pogba should leave & I’ve been underwhelmed with his return but don’t pose strawman arguments then elevate the strengths of other players negating their failings to support that point.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
McTominay scored 2 goals against Leeds & there was a thread likening him to Gullit, Gerrard & Davids. Fred starts for Brazil & that’s been used as a reason he’s better as a DM than Fabinho. There are plenty of examples of all our players being vastly overrated. When you talk in absolutes about things like this it’s disingenuous.

As for costing £90mil, I’m yet to see Maguire beaten over the head with his £80mil price tag in the same manner. Fred cost £50mil+, he’s been a terrible buy. McTominay is a bang average youth product, the fact he cost us nothing isn’t something to champion him for.

As for the last Paragraph, I’m not going to argue how Pogba does under pressure with a man posing McFred as the answer.

To clarify, Pogba should leave & I’ve been underwhelmed with his return but don’t pose strawman arguments then elevate the strengths of other players negating their failings to support that point.
This clearly shows how little you understand. McFred is not the answer. I have never said it was. It's supposed to be the issue yet today clearly shows Pogba isn't all that either is he?

I don't want to see McFred at this club but it would have been better today than having Pogba there. That says it all. However Fred wasn't ready due to International football.

We need to get rid of the lot of them. Pogba first.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Let him go, I don't care if it's on a free. He can't be relied on and yes he has mega talent, but it's not just ever going to work here. Let's get actual midfielders, even with half the talent of Pogba but at least they'll be able to fulfill the bare requirements of a midfielder.

DomM

He doesn't really know how to play in a holding midfield position. His positioning is poor as is his tackling, he really shouldn't be playing that far back, but we just don't have anyone decent who can play there. Helps if players are coached to play a specific way instead of kick and hope.

Oranges038

Best midfielder in the world on Wednesday....

Worse than Djimi Traore today.

There's the Paul Pogba we see far too often in a Utd shirt.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Shocking defending throughout the entire game. Absolutely non entity off the ball. More than a few times his decisions benefitted Leicester.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's not a central midfielder. He's an attacking midfielder. Stop shoehorning him in a position where he's never worked.

It's unfortunate because we wasted him with garbage coaches and using him incorrectly, but there's no way him and Bruno ever coexist successfully. Though we'll never truly successfully work with Ole anyway.

Last edited:

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He's a luxury attacker (which we clearly can't afford in this team) with the physique of a dominant defensive midfielder (which he clearly isn't).

Another dreadful performance. One yellow card away from a ban too.

Devil81

I actually think we would be better off if he left, he's been a problem for years and we've never got the best out of him.

Dve

I doubt he will sign of Ole is staying and I don't blame him for going.

We have totally wasted him for years now.
While one manager is leaving and another is coming. Pogba should rather take a long look at himself. He´s like a walking free kick these days.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
His first steps have always been slow, he is strangely heavy and that's why I said a few weeks ago that he isn't that great of an athlete because he turns like supertanker but on a straight line and with a bit of distance he isn't slow.
Which is why the repeated pleas to play him higher up the pitch are so dumb. You need to be nimble as feck if you’re going to try and exploit the tiny pockets of space around the opposition box.

I think the way he plays for France is the only one that works but relies on his team mates in midfield to do a lot of hard work on his behalf. Without an array of quality DMs available for selection he cause way more problems than he solves. And even with the likes of Kante on the pitch I still think Pogba is an accident waiting to happen (see France’s exit from the Euros)

More than happy to let him be some other manager’s problem, at some other club.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Which is why the repeated pleas to play him higher up the pitch are so dumb. You need to be nimble as feck if you’re going to try and exploit the tiny pockets of space around the opposition box.

I think the way he plays for France is the only one that works but relies on his team mates in midfield to do a lot of hard work on his behalf. Without an array of quality DMs available for selection he cause way more problems than he solves. And even with the likes of Kante on the pitch I still think Pogba is an accident waiting to happen (see France’s exit from the Euros)

More than happy to let him be some other manager’s problem, at some other club.
For France he does his job but France under Deschamps plays a containment game, the forwards only press to disturb passing lanes and hurry the passer, the other 7 players have to get back and contain which includes Pogba but in that system he generally has more time and can be led by his teammates and we know that Griezmann and Varane play a big role in terms of communication even Kanté mentioned it.
I don't think Pogba is at his best in a team that press high and leave space in behind because he would have to use attributes that he doesn't possess which are mainly lateral movement and short distance speed.

Biggins

He is a midfielder that loves to dwell on the ball which is suicidal in the Prem. There was a spell when he was moving the ball faster and he looked much better. He is now back to his old ways and losing possession in dangerous areas...

Foxbatt

The way I see it he is good in a slow league and in International matches where you get time on the ball. His first touch is poor a lot of times. Yes he can flick the ball and that sort of thing but his first touch is poor of a player of his reputation. He cannot hold the ball and is easily dispossessed. I do not think he can succeed in the PL. It is best for us that he goes.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He's not a central midfielder. He's an attacking midfielder. Stop shoehorning him in a position where he's never worked.

It's unfortunate because we wasted him with garbage coaches and using him incorrectly, but there's no way him and Bruno ever coexist successfully. Though we'll never truly successfully work with Ole anyway.
He doesn't score anyway near enough to be good attacking midfielder, he simply doesn't have an nose for a goal, and can be quite erratic in front of goal. Also modern attacking midfielder needs to press far more, and he isn't really good at that. Bruno runs a lot, at best he can be Bruno's replacemant in that position, but he'll mever accept that.

His failures here really have nothing to do with managers but him being the inconsistent player he is.

gazbradley

I’m just surprised it’s him saying it and not Mino. He was awful today, was playing next to Matic but managed to look like the one who you’d say was past his peak.
He’s still the most gifted player we have and he’ll probably go onto win titles and champions leagues if he leaves I’m sure but just seems inevitable he won’t be a success with us

bosnian_red

He doesn't score anyway near enough to be good attacking midfielder, he simply doesn't have an nose for a goal, and can be quite erratic in front of goal. Also modern attacking midfielder needs to press far more, and he isn't really good at that. Bruno runs a lot, at best he can be Bruno's replacemant in that position, but he'll mever accept that.

His failures here really have nothing to do with managers but him being the inconsistent player he is.
It's both. But he's a different type of attacking midfielder. He doesn't need to be a big goalscorer in some teams. Stylistically, the system that would get the best out of him is one similar that Zidane would succeed in, who also was never much of a scorer. Same with Iniesta. He's not a pure number 10, doesn't work in any sort of team that United has ever really had, but also not a controlling midfielder in a Pep type team. He could be the most advanced/free midfielder in a possession team, but generally he's always needed to play as the most advanced player.

There's 0 doubt in my mind that we've completely wasted how best to use him, through a mixture of how we generally have always played but also awful coaching appointments in his time. I'm not absolving him of criticism... but I do think had he chosen to go elsewhere that summer instead of United, Pogba would have been seen in a completely different light. But he joined an ever failing team who played him outside of his best position every time, just to shoe horn as many other star attackers in as possible as he can "kind of play deeper".

AFC NimbleThumb

This clearly shows how little you understand. McFred is not the answer. I have never said it was. It's supposed to be the issue yet today clearly shows Pogba isn't all that either is he?

I don't want to see McFred at this club but it would have been better today than having Pogba there. That says it all. However Fred wasn't ready due to International football.

We need to get rid of the lot of them. Pogba first.
There’s not much to understand. The club lose & you run to the Pogba thread dressing the same bike up in different sentences arguing with a non-existent group of fans who ‘think the sun shines out his arse’.

Anybody who tries to measure their disappointment is called a ‘fanboy’ whilst you demand apologies stating you were right all along, again right about something no one is saying.

McFred are an issue. Pogba is too. The answer to a bad Pogba performance is not, McFred. The Everton game previous to this one was horrendous, it featured the midfield duo you claim would have been successful today which is nonsense. Fred wasn’t winning this game today lad, wake up.

Stacks

It's both. But he's a different type of attacking midfielder. He doesn't need to be a big goalscorer in some teams. Stylistically, the system that would get the best out of him is one similar that Zidane would succeed in, who also was never much of a scorer. Same with Iniesta. He's not a pure number 10, doesn't work in any sort of team that United has ever really had, but also not a controlling midfielder in a Pep type team. He could be the most advanced/free midfielder in a possession team, but generally he's always needed to play as the most advanced player.

There's 0 doubt in my mind that we've completely wasted how best to use him, through a mixture of how we generally have always played but also awful coaching appointments in his time. I'm not absolving him of criticism... but I do think had he chosen to go elsewhere that summer instead of United, Pogba would have been seen in a completely different light. But he joined an ever failing team who played him outside of his best position every time, just to shoe horn as many other star attackers in as possible as he can "kind of play deeper".
But he is seldom used in an attacking role for France where everyone raves about his "performances for France" . He doesn't player attacking midfield for anyone.

bosnian_red

But he is seldom used in an attacking role for France where everyone raves about his "performances for France" . He doesn't player attacking midfield for anyone.
I mean for France, 90% of the time he plays against 2nd division quality opponents or lower. And France play a horrible, Mourinho style of defensive football with defensive fullbacks. And he has Kante next to him there.

He was used as a #10 in 18/19 when Ole first took over and he had his best run of form until the end of last season (essentially playing the same role, just more off the left). On the left, we lack pace sometimes if he's there but #10 for sure is his best position. Always has been. But coaches always shoe horn him deeper because he can play to an OK level in a deeper position. But every time, it's a #10 playing deep. His positioning is all off, and on the ball he doesn't play his natural game unlike when he plays in more advanced roles/areas.

It's never going to happen at United, because we signed Bruno, which is fine. I remember at first being against signing Bruno as I felt we didn't need a #10 as a 10 would never work with Pogba deeper. It has very much proven to be true to everyone except Ole I guess (though even he realizes it at times).

Stacks

I mean for France, 90% of the time he plays against 2nd division quality opponents or lower. And France play a horrible, Mourinho style of defensive football with defensive fullbacks. And he has Kante next to him there.

He was used as a #10 in 18/19 when Ole first took over and he had his best run of form until the end of last season (essentially playing the same role, just more off the left). On the left, we lack pace sometimes if he's there but #10 for sure is his best position. Always has been. But coaches always shoe horn him deeper because he can play to an OK level in a deeper position. But every time, it's a #10 playing deep. His positioning is all off, and on the ball he doesn't play his natural game unlike when he plays in more advanced roles/areas.

It's never going to happen at United, because we signed Bruno, which is fine. I remember at first being against signing Bruno as I felt we didn't need a #10 as a 10 would never work with Pogba deeper. It has very much proven to be true to everyone except Ole I guess (though even he realizes it at times).
I just don't think he is a 10.

jesperjaap

Pogba the player is simply a myth. There are a few reasons Ole will get fired, the biggest mistake he made thi ssummer fo rme was not getting shot of Pogba and investing in two new central midfielders. Despite the excellent signings we made this summer, our midfield was still a worry for me....but not as much as it should have been , our midfield is woeful

The Irish Connection

Woeful again today. Terrible defensively and so sluggish. Wish we sold for 80m two years ago and got two solid options in.

EtH

He’s sounding increasingly like a guy with one foot out the door and to be honest I’m struggling to care at this point.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
I’d say he’s probably the second worst signing in the post SAF years after Sanchez. At least we managed to get rid of Sanchez soon after.

AFC NimbleThumb

But, but Kante is a one man midfield for France. Oops, tchouameni was playing. . .
The arguments people formulate would hold weight if the team were playing well whilst Pogba was pulling them down but the above isn’t some anomaly in his time here. We have a £200mil+ defence that week on week outdo themselves on how to concede the worst goals possible & 2 ‘all action midfielders’ who struggle to keep the ball whilst letting fleet fitted wingers boss them off it but it’s Pogba that’s the issue. . .

The man can leave honestly, I’m rather meh about it at this point but the passion posters show in here should be replicated elsewhere.

AFC NimbleThumb

I’d say he’s probably the second worst signing in the post SAF years after Sanchez. At least we managed to get rid of Sanchez soon after.
Perhaps 3rd.

Harry Maguire for £80mil doesn’t get anywhere near the scrutiny it should. Fred for £52mil isn’t great business either.

Dominos

He doesn't score anyway near enough to be good attacking midfielder, he simply doesn't have an nose for a goal,
Disagree here to be honest, he certainly has the capability to score a good amount of goals, his best tally for us was 15 and that wasn't even with him playing a very free attacking role.

If he was given Bruno's role in the team I'm sure he'd do quite well, but we already have Bruno so it's pointless speculating, we should just let him go.

Status
Not open for further replies.