Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
At least he contributes (and fit) for the majority of his time here.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
There was a recent post on here showing he's missed about a third of our games since joining.
his previous 5 seasons at United: 51, 37, 47, 22, 42 games. Could be better but those are good numbers.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
On his day he's absolutely unplayable and that's rare for a midfielder. The amount of times I've accepted he'll go and then he has a string of great performances to pull me back in.

I think I'm content with him leaving now. The amount of games where he's poor or just not available make his average contribution to the team pretty low, all things considered.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
On his day he's absolutely unplayable and that's rare for a midfielder. The amount of times I've accepted he'll go and then he has a string of great performances to pull me back in.

I think I'm content with him leaving now. The amount of games where he's poor or just not available make his average contribution to the team pretty low, all things considered.
I feel like this can be said about so many players. OK perhaps not midfielders but it still does not mean much. Being great on your day to me means so little, it's astounding how much time we've given Pogba and how we are still trying to tie him down.

World class players will play world class for extended periods of time and he's almost never done that.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
on both ends :D

Anyway, he could do better; but i don't think he's ever down tooling. And also he's fit for the majority of his time here.
If people think he's not contributing during his time here, that's fine. People and opinions.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
on both ends :D

Anyway, he could do better; but i don't think he's ever down tooling. And also he's fit for the majority of his time here.
If people think he's not contributing during his time here, that's fine. People and opinions.
The injuries are all part of a bigger picture where he’s only ever looked the world class player we hoped he’d be in short runs of games. Then it all comes crashing to a halt when he’s either injured or just starts playing very badly. With his talent, profile, salary and transfer fee he’s a player we signed to build our team around but has fallen very far short of ever being that player.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The injuries are all part of a bigger picture where he’s only ever looked the world class player we hoped he’d be in short runs of games. Then it all comes crashing to a halt when he’s either injured or just starts playing very badly. With his talent, profile, salary and transfer fee he’s a player we signed to build our team around but has fallen very far short of ever being that player.
Agreed. I think he's wasting his talent here, and we're wasting our resources with him. I don't know. Watching him for France, you just got this sort of feeling "if only" or "maybe it's because". But then in some games, you can see he looked like he's unmotivated. Just like me with my current work; like "why bother"; but with nobody's watching.

I'm not in any way wants United to extend his contract. I think he's contributing to our "success" but yes, that's not enough to risk 400k/wk for another 3-4 years.

Last edited:

Cathy Ferguson

International football is slower than the PL and France play a three man midfield to accomodate Pogba. I don't think we have built a style of play around him but he is too inconsistent and Bruno is a better player. He is probably off to Madrid but it is a pity he will leave for free after signing for 89m.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I know he is injured -

But I did look at us playing 442 without the ball yesterday and seeing both Fred and Martial being our LM.

Especially seeing Fred play as a LM at times made me wonder if Carrick maybe thinking about playing Pogba as his LM/CM type player that Fred was playing when we played 442 off the ball and 433 with it.

Off the ball:

Ronaldo- Bruno
Pogba - VDB - Matic - Sancho
Shaw - Maguire - Varane - AWB

Maybe VDB swaps with Bruno and we play more a forward upfront next to Ronaldo.
On the Ball:

Pogba - Ronaldo - Sancho
Bruno
Matic - VDB
Shaw - Maguire - Varane - AWB​

The United

I know he is injured -

But I did look at us playing 442 without the ball yesterday and seeing both Fred and Martial being our LM.

Especially seeing Fred play as a LM at times made me wonder if Carrick maybe thinking about playing Pogba as his LM/CM type player that Fred was playing when we played 442 off the ball and 433 with it.

Off the ball:

Ronaldo- Bruno

On the Ball:

Pogba - Ronaldo - Sancho
Bruno
Matic - VDB
Pogba is done at United unless he signs the extension.

And why on earth we tries to shoehorn him in a position where we have plenty of better options such as Rashford, Sancho, even Cavani and maybe Greenwood there if Ronaldo shifts to the left?

No way we take out a only decent midfielder we have in Fred. The defensive contribution and work rate would be unbearable.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I know he is injured -

Off the ball:

Ronaldo- Bruno

On the Ball:

Pogba - Ronaldo - Sancho
Bruno
Matic - VDB
First major thing ai noticed was that Carrick seemed to favour a more traditional 433 to the 4231 set up. You are right that this sort of set up would best suit him.

Ultimately though, I can’t see any long term future here for Pogba anyway. And I’m not sure that there should be, certainly unless there’s no clear plan to encourage his strengths and limit the impact of his weaknesses. He’s just not good enough in all phases to play in a midfield two, nor is he a natural enough goalscorer to be a traditional 10 I don’t feel. In a conventional 3, he has qualities that could benefit any team, but it’s certainly not working at the moment. I also don’t want us to have a different system every week, so this ‘play Pogba against this lot, play this style against that lot’ thing needs to change IMO.

We need a but of a midfield clearout, and then we need a midfield identity. I’d like to see two new mids come in, and I reckon that’s probably all we need for now. Declan should definitely be one of them.

pascell

I know he is injured -

Off the ball:

Ronaldo- Bruno

On the Ball:

Pogba - Ronaldo - Sancho
Bruno
Matic - VDB
Think you're reading it into it too much, we played compact and looked to counter yesterday which brought us success under Ole, basically going back to basics. Martial was LM (also ST rotating with Ronaldo) but was as useful as a chocolate teapot in countering and we reaped the rewards on the counter when swapping Martial for Rashford, who is more direct and has more pace to punish defenders.

Putting Pogba LM in the defensive phase would be seen by the opposition as a weakness to expose, see the Liverpool at home game last season. Where Pogba would be better suited is instead of VdB, the role he was given at Juve and plays for when playing for France. We need to stop putting square pegs in round holes, it isn't helping us keep our shape when defending.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I think this is perhaps the best time to part ways for both the club and his own sake

With the recent developments and knowing ralfs philosophy and prior play style its clear he has no future under him or anyone else added to his unnecessary dithering on the ball his lack of defensive awareness and rather lazy aptitude it becomes even more clear

We would be wise to ship him of this January for the sake of getting rid of that wage alone managing to replace him with an much more useful player will simply be an extra

What a mess this whole thing turned out to be from the get go and to just think o was hoping he was on his way to Break the pl assist record 2 month ago and then the club almost making him our highest paid player

Such a shame and what a mess

Kaos

Yeah I think that's it for him. Had we somehow managed to convince someone like Zidane to take the reins, I think its feasible Pogba would have signed, but Ragnick coming in has pretty much sealed his fate here tbh.

A massive shame, but I'd be glad to be rid of the circus surrounding him, notably Raiola.

Dante

Average bang
I think this is perhaps the best time to part ways for both the club and his own sake

With the recent developments and knowing ralfs philosophy and prior play style its clear he has no future under him or anyone else added to his unnecessary dithering on the ball his lack of defensive awareness and rather lazy aptitude it becomes even more clear

We would be wise to ship him of this January for the sake of getting rid of that wage alone managing to replace him with an much more useful player will simply be an extra

What a mess this whole thing turned out to be from the get go and to just think o was hoping he was on his way to Break the pl assist record 2 month ago and then the club almost making him our highest paid player

I think it's perhaps the worst time to part ways. He's done better job of outplaying Manchester United than he ever managed against the rest of league. And what's worse is that he's now done it twice.

The best time to part ways would have been a couple of seasons ago when he still had some transfer value.

Kaos

I think it's perhaps the worst time to part ways. He's done better job of outplaying Manchester United than he ever managed against the rest of league. And what's worse is that he's now done it twice.

The best time to part ways would have been a couple of seasons ago when he still had some transfer value.
That ship has well and truly passed now, I think given current circumstances, the worst thing the club could have done is given him that ludicrous contract. Imagine had he signed it, we'd have a Sanchez problem x 10.

I don't want this boring saga to drag on all season, let the fatman take him to PSG, Madrid or whoever wants to give him that silly contract. Yes its a shame we're now losing him for free for the second time, but if it means we're not gimping the wage structure and the circus finally leaves with him I'll take it.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He is gone. I am sure pizzaman knows that Pogba will not fit into a Rangnick style of play. Besides, Ralf likes them young, progressive and malleable all of which Pogba isnt.

Jimmah

Everytime I see this thread bumped when he's not played I assume his agent has said something that hints about a transfer or contract deal or some such. What's worse is it doesn't surprise me when it happens. It's got to the point now that I'm not bothered if he goes in January.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

We'd be wise to try but no one would be stupid enough to bite given the situation

romufc

He'll stay.

Didn't want to derail the other thread.

I know the Athletic say Pogba is excited and what not, I have heard this everytime we have some sort of change.

The thing is, the decision is going to be taken by Rangnick now, if he doesnt suit his set up, Pogba is gone.

lex talionis

The contract offer currently in front of Pogba should be withdrawn for now, pending further consideration between the parties. The window to collect a massive fee for him is gone anyway.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Hopefully RR tells the club very clearly how stupid it would be to hand Pogba around 500 k per week.

RUCK4444

romufc

Pressing is not the only reason Ralf will discard him, there are various reasons to discard Pogba.

1. Contract expires in the summer, if we are building for the future, we do not want to build with a player who will leave.
2. If he does want to stay, he wants to be the highest paid player, has done nothing to deserve this.
3. He is not a quick passing player, he likes time on the ball, more suited to slower football, not heavy metal.

Stacks

That was april 2019. Not sure what his pressing stats were that season, but based on recent stats he presses more than anybody apart from Fred, which is what I expected to be honest.

Listen, the guy has probably gone, but based on his pressing I don't think Ralf would discard him like many assume he would.
I'm just teasing. he closes people down when near and that's good enough. Maybe he isn't the best at marking/tracking his man

Status
Not open for further replies.