Paul Pogba / turned down United offer of 300k as “nothing”

AFC NimbleThumb

Not going to be surprised if we have threads like this on our other star players in the future. If they are truly ambitious, they'll only accept this mediocrity for so long.

Btw I think it's a win win scenario for both parties here. At least for the long term. We'll get to build our midfield without the complexity of adding him in, and he might get to go to Madrid or PSG and win things. He's 29 after all, got a couple more years at the top.
This.

Pogba leaving, in isolation, isn’t going to be the sudden catalyst to improvement people are banking on. The squad is full of mediocrity that will continue to undermine the quality.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
What for? So that come June he is off and we go back to the drawing board next year, get a few CL group games and then hopefully a Europa run?

A guy who is off at the end of the season is not worth building anything around. As I said, the same applies to Cavani even if his commitment and dedication when on the pitch is there for all to see. Cristiano may have 2-3 seasons ahead so not going there, but we've actually given ourselves a bit of a problem there: first fitting him and making it work and, soonish, replacing him.

If I were a new manager I'd consider them resources, but focus on building a side around Rashford-Greenwood-Sancho and Bruno.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I've never hidden my dislike for Pogba on this forum, personally I hold him in the same regard as Di Maria.

What I'm interested in knowing off people is what is Paul's best position?

I ask this because it's now 5 years and he's played nearly everywhere on the field other than the goalkeeper.

We've bought better players to play with him and he still isn't playing well.

Personally feel he plays for himself, he doesn't play for the team. He's greedy and overrates himself.
Let me put it this way. In the entire 6 years that he's been here, we've only played a properly balanced midfield for one period of time. Matic-Herrera-Pogba. Even that's not particularly good as Matic could have been improved on for that role, but it's the only time we've come close to a midfield that is balanced and compliment each other. The only time that we tried to play something similar to how Pogba played for Juve. That combination got off to a rough start (a draw and loss in the first two games), but after that they won 17 and drew 1 of the remaining 18 matches they played together. Hell, Pogba spent a month or two as probably the most in-form player in the world after Ole first took over and settled on that combination.

Actually there was another similar set-up of Carrick-Herrara-Pogba that also worked well for a while until Mourinho ran an aging Carrick into the ground. Pogba himself wasn't particularly great during that run, but he played his role in a midfield that was working.

There's more than just putting a player in a position or in a formation. People try to say that we've played Pogba in a 433 quite often and it didn't work, but it's pointless if the 433 is terrible balanced. Fellaini-Herrera-Pogba? Pogba still has to play as the main deep playmaker as the other two are incompetent at building play out from the back. And that's the kind of midfield that Pogba spent the first three and a half seasons playing with most of the time. Then in the two seasons since then we signed Bruno so there is still no way to have a balanced midfield and have them both in there. In theory maybe a diamond could work, or as we've seen Pogba on the left wing perhaps, but they would both require fairly strong tactical set-ups which we certainly aren't getting with this coaching.

Don't get me wrong, Pogba still should have done better than what he has for us so he's certainly not free of blame. But it's bloody aggravating that the club and the managers have completely wasted having one of the most talented players in the world. The way we used him guaranteed we would never see him at his best, and also (more importantly) would never have the team play as well as it potentially could.

Just to put it into context about how bad our entire midfield balance has been the last six seasons, our current combo of Fred and McTominay, despite all their limitations, is probably the third most balanced midfield we've used in that time. Not counting their current showings of course as they (and the entire team) are playing terribly, but going instead from their performances over the last two seasons. If we were playing Fred-Mctominay-Pogba it would be a better set-up to get the best out of Pogba than anything else we've used other than the two combos I mentioned above. That is how disgracefully bad our midfield set-ups have been during this time. But of course, that's not going to happen now as Bruno has that role and has run with it. As far as I'm concerned Pogba should have been sold as soon as Bruno was successful, and then upgrade the midfield behind him.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
As far as I'm concerned Pogba should have been sold as soon as Bruno was successful, and then upgrade the midfield behind him.
Kind of agree. More to the point when the plan was always to sign Sancho, there really was no good reason not to shop Pogba around

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
In an ideal world. We go from strength to strength after he leaves and he languishes in a shitty Juventus side.

While in reality, he takes to them back to the top while Ronaldo is padding stats against Legia Warsaw in the Europa League next season.

KingCavani

Hate how our fanbase defended him for so long.

Should have got the boot before Jose. He's a disgrace.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
If Gazzetta and El Nacional are the outlets that are reporting the recent links, then there really isn't anything in them. I'd wait for better outlets/journalists to report on them.

norm87cro

Hate how our fanbase defended him for so long.

Should have got the boot before Jose. He's a disgrace.
You could not have said it better mate. Another interesting fact is that his performance thread hasn't popped up among top threads after that Liverpool red.

Dermott Walsh

Pogba is just like the whole team at the minute. When he's on it he's a world beater, when he's not he's awful.

By no way is he leader even if he thinks he is. Not someone the players would look to when things aren't going right. Should of been sold a years ago when we could of got big bucks for him. Now he' ll leave on a free and we'll either have to splash big on a replacement or gamble on someone young.

As always the problems with this club stem from the disgraceful mismanagement at the top.

NoPace

This should have happened a year or two ago. They needed a Rakitic replacement and Pogba would have been a good fit in a role where he could look to join the attack as their most attacking midfielder. We'd have gotten a fee and saved a ton on wages we could have used elsewhere.

Even now, they would have Pogba, Pedri and Gavi for the 2 #8 spots and De Jong and Nico for the #6 spot with Busquets increasingly showing his age but my guess is coming on as a sub to keep possession and helping Xavi coach the midfield.

bosskeano

so where are the guys on here defending Pogba that he is still our best option in a 2 man midfield????? he's fuking shiite

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
Evra stating Pogba does not feel loved by United or its supporters.

USREDEVIL

At this point i feel like when you negotiate for a car and at the price they're offering you couldn't really give a shit if you get it. Whatever we've put on the table we should just be like "take it or leave it."

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
He'll be a catastrophe in both those teams. They're not particularly good either. And they can't afford his wages as of now. Silly them.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
so where are the guys on here defending Pogba that he is still our best option in a 2 man midfield????? he's fuking shiite
Just wait until the internationals. It's always the same story, same posters creaming themselves how good he is for France in double pivot.