Paul Pogba / turned down United offer of 300k as “nothing”

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
But I thiught everyone was going to offer him crazy money? And looks like he is taking a pay cut in the end.

Juventus were my bet and I still don't know why people think that he desperately wants Madrid or PSG.
Because they are better teams where he'll better chances of winning trophies(CL mainly), signing for them would make him far more money than for Juve, and Madrid and PSG are better than Torino(especially PSG because he is from France).

Jacob

Good riddance. One of the worst mentalities in the current squad.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Juventus were my bet and I still don't know why people think that he desperately wants Madrid or PSG.
I think he does want Madrid but they aren't interested in him. Even a few years ago when he was in a better situation it seemed like it was only Zidane who wanted him while the rest of the club preferred other options.

There's always been talk that he's not very interested in PSG though, so it's not that surprising if he picks Juve over them.

Conor

It's no surprise. It's always been reported that Perez isn't a fan and that Zidane was the driver behind the interest.

I'll actually think more of Pogba if he chooses Juventus. By all accounts it's the worst offer he has financially, although Italian tax law for big earners will make the salary bigger than it appears it's still well under ours. We don't know what the bonuses are but it suggests that he's accepted incentives for performance.
Are the numbers quoted not net? Seems to be how most of his offers have been reported so far. I seriously doubt he's taken a 10m gross offer.

arthurka

He isn't a player in high demand now he has clearly overrated his own importance. Getting less money that Ramsey shows his lack of options it looks like at least from some reports that we aren't offering him a new contract anymore.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Been linked heavily with both for years?
I said it before but the links come from the press themselves, if I use french media as an example, Pogba has only talked about United and Juventus without being asked about. The Madrid talks were exclusively linked to journalists linking every single french players to Madrid when Zidane was the manager, they would ask everyone what they think about Madrid and whether they would like to play for them in the future.
As for PSG no serious paper/reporter reported that Pogba or any top french player were interested in joining PSG, whenever you see that take it with a grain of salt, it's likely an invention from a foreign paper.

Tallis

I don’t see Madrid or City signing. Sounds sfuff that his camp is making up to keep him relavant. I think it’s likely PSG or Juve. PSG probably may want to bring him as a band aid to the Mbappe move.

I would be generally curious to see how he does at Juve. I am not sure he has it in him to perform over a season - can do 10-12 game stretches.

Red00012

So he says a few months ago he wants to win major trophies so decides he wants to go to Juventus :lol:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
No way that he refused City. Big money and (more or less) nailed trophies.
Yeah, no way. IF City were interested, he would be in their shirt today :wenger:

Member 101269

No way that he refused City. Big money and (more or less) nailed trophies.
Yeah, no way. IF City were interested, he would be in their shirt today :wenger:
I'm just unconvinced by these stories especially considering the supposed drop in salary offered at JJ. The hype bubble seems to have burst..

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I'm just unconvinced by these stories especially considering the supposed drop in salary offered at JJ. The hype bubble seems to have burst..
City offers everything what every player wants. Money and titles. For 29y old player who will just sign his last big contract, that is something which you don't refuse.
Bs story.
He was feared that United fans will boo him? Yeah, right. Don't make me laugh

Member 101269

City offers everything what every player wants. Money and titles. For 29y old player who will just sign his last big contract, that is something which you don't refuse.
Bs story.
I was t disagreeing with the previous post.

Im unconvinced by the “offer” but happy to take a lower salary. It smells of a player whose hype has burst and clubs saying I’m not playing/ paying.

hes only got himself to blame

Theo88

Id expect him to get to Real now. He would pair up well with Casemiro / Valverde / Modric. Probs not a starter in all games but that’s the kind of midflielders you need to make him work you’d think.

Very unfortunate i would suspect Pogb De Jong and Bruno would be a good trio. Or pogb / de jong fred.

Pairing him up with McSauce and Fred these years really exposed his defensive workrate.

Djemba-Djemba

Id expect him to get to Real now. He would pair up well with Casemiro / Valverde / Modric. Probs not a starter in all games but that’s the kind of midflielders you need to make him work you’d think.

Very unfortunate i would suspect Pogb De Jong and Bruno would be a good trio. Or pogb / de jong fred.

Pairing him up with McSauce and Fred these years really exposed his defensive workrate.
He'd be a disaster at Madrid.

Their fans demand constant excellence, if you have a bad run of form for 3 or 4 games they're booing you.

He'd be eaten alive at Madrid, he's way too inconsistent.

Pintu

Bs story.
No they don't. Players have turned them down before. One can't ignore the private side of such a move. It is gotta be a family decision as well. He's seemed unhappy in Manchester for some time, earning more money in the blue shirt while making an enemy of the rest of the city isn't gonna solve that.

Winning the PL with City is pretty much meaningless, they've won 4 of the last 5, including the last 2.

One can think that Pogba's club career is a disappointment so far. And he can rescue that by helping a struggling club achieve some meaningful success. If that team happens to be Juventus where he is already appreciated, this could be the perfect story. He can still make it as a legend of Italy's biggest club. And probably do the same with France as well.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
No they don't. Players have turned them down before. One can't ignore the private side of such a move. It is gotta be a family decision as well. He's seemed unhappy in Manchester for some time, earning more money in the blue shirt while making an enemy of the rest of the city isn't gonna solve that.

Winning the PL with City is pretty much meaningless, they've won 4 of the last 5, including the last 2.

One can think that Pogba's club career is a disappointment so far. And he can rescue that by helping a struggling club achieve some meaningful success. If that team happens to be Juventus where he is already appreciated, this could be the perfect story. He can still make it as a legend of Italy's biggest club. And probably do the same with France as well.
Oh come on, PL title meaningless? That is rubbish. So our domination in 90s and 2000s was meaningless too? Come on, man, don't be like Liverpool fan. So, because one club is dominating, that medal worth less?
If you are a player then after you finish your career you want to have medals in your trophy room. Winning medal is winning medal. No matter is it from France, Italy or England. And of course you want to enjoy in your money earned.
City offers those two. Only thing which City can't offer is the fact that you played for giant club. But lets be honest; playing for United/Milan/Arsenal without trophies or playing for City/PSG with winning trophies; what would you choose?

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I agree that Juve seems most likely. However, do you think Madrid and PSG become more interested now since Madrid missed put on signing a big star and Zidane is rumored to coach PSG?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I agree that Juve seems most likely. However, do you think Madrid and PSG become more interested now since Madrid missed put on signing a big star and Zidane is rumored to coach PSG?
They may be more interested but I think that Juventus have an advantage, for the same reason I thought United had an advantage. My feelings are linked to Pogba himself more than the interest of Madrid and PSG.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
All he need to do is to give a call to Mbappe, he will then have his shirts and locker ready for him there.

TsuWave

Good riddance. One of the worst mentalities in the current squad.
Not according to the autopsy articles that are being written about this season. He’s hardly been mentioned in them as a toxic figure. In fact, Luckhurst’s article says he apologised to Ragnick after the players tried to ambush him

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
They may be more interested but I think that Juventus have an advantage, for the same reason I thought United had an advantage. My feelings are linked to Pogba himself more than the interest of Madrid and PSG.
Everything equal I also see him wanting Juve more than Madrid or PSG.
But if those two are now showing interest in him, then they offer him a shot at a CL that he probably doesn’t have at Juve.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
I find it fascinating that Juve signed him for £800,000 back in the day from us. We then bought him back for £93m and 5 years later he’s potentially going back to them again, this time for £0.00?

Ok cool.

Juve must love how stupid we are.

Jacob

Not according to the autopsy articles that are being written about this season. He’s hardly been mentioned in them as a toxic figure. In fact, Luckhurst’s article says he apologised to Rangnick after the players tried to ambush him
I'm referring to the whole image/media circus around him and how he seemingly doesn't care when he's playing. How he's allowed his agent to talk shit about United for ages and the constant flirting with Juve.

TsuWave

I'm referring to the whole image/media circus around him and how he seemingly doesn't care when he's playing. How he's allowed his agent to talk shit about United for ages and the constant flirting with Juve.
There’s really no image/media circs around him though. People are just super sensitive when it comes to Pogba for some reason. There’s an exponentially bigger image/media circus around Ronaldo - and for all the “social media” jibes that are thrown Pogba’s way, Ronaldo is also more active, has a larger presence and following on social media.

Pogba is just not the hustle and bustle player people want him to be, kinda like Berbatov, that doesn’t mean he doesn’t care though.

and Raiola operated that way for years, United knew what it was getting into - a substantial amount of what he said was true to, so hardly talking shit.

I have a theory that people pretty much dislike Pogba because they were told to dislike him/because everyone else does.

Pintu

Oh come on, PL title meaningless? That is rubbish. So our domination in 90s and 2000s was meaningless too? Come on, man, don't be like Liverpool fan. So, because one club is dominating, that medal worth less?
If you are a player then after you finish your career you want to have medals in your trophy room. Winning medal is winning medal. No matter is it from France, Italy or England. And of course you want to enjoy in your money earned.
City offers those two. Only thing which City can't offer is the fact that you played for giant club. But lets be honest; playing for United/Milan/Arsenal without trophies or playing for City/PSG with winning trophies; what would you choose?
I meant meaningless in the sense, it wouldn't add that much more to his name... Winning the PL with any other team is more valuable. Those who won City their first titles will always have a special place (Kompany, Y. Touré, Silva, Tevez, Aguero, Milner, Nasri, Zabaleta, Dzeko... ). But things have changed, and It has become a routine for them to win the PL. The other players will come but they have to do more than win 1 or 2 PL titles to really leave a strong mark. Some are doing that of course (KdB, Ederson, Gundogan, Sterling.. ) But to name a few, I don't think Grealish or F.Torres have done enough to be considered meaningfull players at City despite winning the PL. Pogba would be pretty much another Grealish there...

To take another exemple, I don't think many consider Karel Poborsky to be a United legend.

Last edited:

arthurka

Maybe he will fill Zlatans slot at Milan? Or better Mbappe will sign him for his new team assemble in Paris. One thing is for sure I don't give a shit

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
There’s really no image/media circs around him though. People are just super sensitive when it comes to Pogba for some reason. There’s an exponentially bigger image/media circus around Ronaldo - and for all the “social media” jibes that are thrown Pogba’s way, Ronaldo is also more active, has a larger presence and following on social media.

Pogba is just not the hustle and bustle player people want him to be, kinda like Berbatov, that doesn’t mean he doesn’t care though.

and Raiola operated that way for years, United knew what it was getting into - a substantial amount of what he said was true to, so hardly talking shit.

I have a theory that people pretty much dislike Pogba because they were told to dislike him/because everyone else does.
This is accurate. Anyone who has an agenda against Pogba is incredibly out of touch with reality.

Nero

I think he expected the world's elite to be falling over each other for his signature.

In the end it's 'well I guess it'll have to be back to Juve then'.

Redcy

I think you are right to some extent, and yet anyone watching him at Juve would be able to see that is not his game. The trouble is that he hasn't really been even good at his "game". Now you can certainly argue that he hasn't been played in such a way as to enable that, and I think there is definitely merit in that argument, but he really hasn't endeared himself because if he had been doing the things he did at Juve here, then he would have been forgiven for being a bit "lazy".

Trouble is United did not need that player, and Pogba was not the kind of player we needed. We needed other players around him to do that, and we just didnt have them, he was our 90m signing and he couldn't step up to being what we needed.

United fans don't dislike him because we are told to, we dislike him because he just never came and did what we expected, or something that would have made us forget that. The fact that the media is against any new big signing is just what it is, players on big money often get that, except Grealish, but he is English and at City.

pawanraj

I don't dislike Pogba. I just dislike that he doesn't seem to put in 100% effort when he plays for Man United.

He could be the nicest person on the planet, and I would still want him out of the club because he isn't producing what a midfielder of his talent and capability should produce on the pitch. Pogba is supposed to be the best midfielder in the club. But he goes missing so many times.

Berbatov played 2nd fiddle to Ronaldo & Rooney for most of his time here. He wasn't the most prolific striker at the club, and he wasn't expected to be either. Style notwithstanding, he contributed plenty for anyone who took the time to watch what he did on the pitch.