Paul Pogba / turned down United offer of 300k as “nothing”

Oldyella

I've learned over the last five years he's grossly overatted.

He had one of World footballs best managers in Mourinho before him and he was equally as inconsistent.

And was equally as outspoken, he needs to go and I will wave him off happily.

Di Maria and Pogba, I'd have them as my most disliked players ever for United.
Mourinho certainly wasn't one of the worlds best managers by the time he was managing us.

Brophs

The One and Only
Seems to me that it’s best for everyone that he moves on. It hasn’t gone as well as anyone would have liked. He’d prefer to be elsewhere and he’s not played well enough to justify us spending the sort of wages he’d want. Right now he’s playing under a manager who doesn’t trust him to play in his natural position. He’s not suddenly going to become the player we need and we’re not suddenly going to afford him the indulgence to play the way he’d prefer while winning trophies.

Devil81

Mourinho certainly wasn't one of the worlds best managers by the time he was managing us.
Actually I think you will find he was, hence why he won two trophies in his first season.

The decline came after that.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
He’s literally tweeted himself saying don’t listen to journalists and their made up bullshit, they’re lying.

Still people are here blaming him for journos making shit up.

Swedish_Plumber

He’s literally tweeted himself saying don’t listen to journalists and their made up bullshit, they’re lying.

People blame him because he’s had ample opportunity to shut his agent up in the past yet the greedy cnut keeps mouthing off to the media.
He’s never hit the heights we thought he would sadly so think it’s best he goes. Not been blessed with great managers or fellow midfielders during his time here but he could have also done so much more himself.

AFC NimbleThumb

You lot never learn. He’ll go pull trees elsewhere like he does on international duty, and we’ll replace him with another limited footballer who can barely pass and whose only quality is being physical and running fast.

I agree with you that it hasn’t worked out for him here on the whole, but he’s done things on the football pitch that none of our other players can even dream of doing. Too bad he played under Mourinho with all his issues and a rookie manager with primitive tactics.
The same posters calling Pogba overrated & being glad to get rid of him are usually the ones you’ll find in a Maguire, McTominay or Fred thread trying to preach their values. There’s never a reasoned argument with him, he’s fallen short of expectations but who hasn’t in the last 5 years!? Bruno? Greenwood? As you say, he’ll head elsewhere & win, as he tends to do.

Because it’s not about Pogba the man but Pogba the perception. People can’t simply admit their disappointed it hasn’t worked out as they’d hoped, instead they blame his agent [the same guy cafe favourite Haaland is represented by] or his brothers for speaking out [DvBs reps are rather mouthy too].

Charles Miller

People blaming players are going to regret in the future. Manchester United have no clear sport project. The type of managers hired are incompatible with modern footbal. At least for big clubs.

BorisManUtd

One way Pogba stays and signs a new contract is if a new manager (if he is to come soon) convinces him to stay until Christmas, because if he doesn't sign a new contract until then, he won't sign it at all imo.

I can understand his desire to leave. He'll turn 29 in March, has few more years at top level in him, wants to spend them somewhere where he'll actually win things. I think there was a big possibility he'd leave back in summer of 2020 but Covid damaged clubs like Real or Juve financially. And it's not easy to fit Pogba, Bruno, Rashford into a team probably. One regret if he leaves would be the fact we didn't convince him to sign at least one year extension, so club actually gets some 40-50 million from his transfer. This way it's a loss and he's leaving for less than in 2012.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
One way Pogba stays and signs a new contract is if a new manager (if he is to come soon) convinces him to stay until Christmas, because if he doesn't sign a new contract until then, he won't sign it at all imo.

I can understand his desire to leave. He'll turn 29 in March, has few more years at top level in him, wants to spend them somewhere where he'll actually win things. I think there was a big possibility he'd leave back in summer of 2020 but Covid damaged clubs like Real or Juve financially. And it's not easy to fit Pogba, Bruno, Rashford into a team probably. One regret if he leaves would be the fact we didn't convince him to sign at least one year extension, so club actually gets some 40-50 million from his transfer. This way it's a loss and he's leaving for less than in 2012.
I think he left for free in 2012, or did Juventus pay some kind of youth player compensation (which really should be Le Havre's as well)?

Either way, if he leaves on a free again, it's a massive embarrassment. How do you let him go for free to bring him back for a world-record fee, only to lose him on a free again? Just shambles from the decision-makers at this club.

edcunited1878

You lot never learn. He’ll go pull trees elsewhere like he does on international duty, and we’ll replace him with another limited footballer who can barely pass and whose only quality is being physical and running fast.

I agree with you that it hasn’t worked out for him here on the whole, but he’s done things on the football pitch that none of our other players can even dream of doing. Too bad he played under Mourinho with all his issues and a rookie manager with primitive tactics.
Like getting dispossessed in central midfield (plus an additional 5 times) just minutes after coming on and directly leading to a goal. Then minutes later getting a straight red card for a reckless tackle? All in 15 minutes? Or conceding a penalty by raising your hands to your face like he did against Spurs?

Pogba isn't bigger than the club. Players come and go and we should only focus on the players who are available to the club. The club has offered him renewal terms and they are fair. If he wants to leave, fine, he has that choice.

If Pogba was as good as many say, the best teams like Bayern, City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Barca, PSG, RM would all be lining up....but that's not going to be the case. Why is that?

FatTails

Like getting dispossessed in central midfield (plus an additional 5 times) just minutes after coming on and directly leading to a goal. Then minutes later getting a straight red card for a reckless tackle? All in 15 minutes? Or conceding a penalty by raising your hands to your face like he did against Spurs?
Is that all you've managed to catch during his career here? Do you watch him for France? Do yourself and favour and see the movement around him in France that creates passing opportunities vs what we have here, where there is essentially a massive gap between our attack and defence and our midfielders have to either pass to the fullback or go for Hollywood balls to the attackers. France are stacked in every position, including Paul's, and he is a starter there all the time.

Pogba isn't bigger than the club. Players come and go and we should only focus on the players who are available to the club. The club has offered him renewal terms and they are fair. If he wants to leave, fine, he has that choice.
I agree with that. I don't get the rejoicing that he is leaving. I won't be crying when he does leave, not because I think it is good for United, but because life goes on. If we replace him with a Verrati or a Pedri or someone like that, who can retain the ball and actually pass it, then I'll be happy. My worry is that we will lose one of our few players who is good in possession and add more players who are...uhm...kick and rush type players.

If Pogba was as good as many say, the best teams like Bayern, City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Barca, PSG, RM would all be lining up....but that's not going to be the case. Why is that?
How do you know that? He will have his pick when he is a free agent. Where do you think he will end up? Burnley? It most likely will be PSG or Real.

edcunited1878

Is that all you've managed to catch during his career here? Do you watch him for France? Do yourself and favour and see the movement around him in France that creates passing opportunities vs what we have here, where there is essentially a massive gap between our attack and defence and our midfielders have to either pass to the fullback or go for Hollywood balls to the attackers. France are stacked in every position, including Paul's, and he is a starter there all the time.

I agree with that. I don't get the rejoicing that he is leaving. I won't be crying when he does leave, not because I think it is good for United, but because life goes on. If we replace him with a Verrati or a Pedri or someone like that, who can retain the ball and actually pass it, then I'll be happy. My worry is that we will lose one of our few players who is good in possession and add more players who are...uhm...kick and rush type players.

How do you know that? He will have his pick when he is a free agent. Where do you think he will end up? Burnley? It most likely will be PSG or Real.
I have watched many French matches with Pogba in the side. France plays a slower and more structured shape and rhythm. That is a by product of international football and the way Deschamps plays. People don't like it, but it has proven to be effective for them. They won the WC. A central midfield 3 of Matuidi/Toliso Pogba, and Kante. Mbappe stretches the backline, a Giroud or now Benzema is a focal point, with Grizemann the foil. France has also recently played with Pogba as one of 2 CMs but 3 CBs.

However, Pogba arguably isn't the most influential CM in the France side...it's usually Kante. Pogba has the flashy passes and vision, which he also displays for United most of the time. But if they aren't coming off and leading to chances, he's reduced to a cone because Pogba doesn't offer much defensively. But with France, he is carried by two other CMs.

United have issues with only playing 2 CMs ahead of 2 CBs. That's behind the times and leaves too much responsibility for four players. The only other top team who plays with a base 4231 is Bayern...but that may have changed under Nagelsmann now.

So while Pogba isn't the only reason why United are struggling now, him leaving isn't an issue. When he was out last year, Fred and McTominay were the most functional pair. United proved to win without Paul.

Another talented but square peg trying to fit into a round hole is Thiago at Liverpool. Technical player, passing, touch, etc. But he doesn't function well in that Liverpool side. He isn't a good fit even on a good team. Pogba isn't a good fit in a good but currently underperfoming United team. Both teams will be fine without them whenever they move on from them.

Oldyella

Actually I think you will find he was, hence why he won two trophies in his first season.

He was already on the way down. Not as bad as he is now, but no longer world class.

Bondi77

He loves LA doesn’t he?
It would not surprise me at all if he is in the US in a couple of years as he would get the freedom to strut his stuff and would really boost his profile in the States.

BorisManUtd

I think he left for free in 2012, or did Juventus pay some kind of youth player compensation (which really should be Le Havre's as well)?

Either way, if he leaves on a free again, it's a massive embarrassment. How do you let him go for free to bring him back for a world-record fee, only to lose him on a free again? Just shambles from the decision-makers at this club.
Yes, think there was some kind of compensation fee, maybe I'm wrong. But as you say, it's shambles, basically losing him for free twice and paying 90M pounds or so for him in 2016.

christinaa

Gossip Girl

He will end up at Juventus - that's where he wants to go.

::sonny::

He loves LA doesn’t he?
It would not surprise me at all if he is in the US in a couple of years as he would get the freedom to strut his stuff and would really boost his profile in the States.
Like Carlos Vela

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Don't think he had a bad game as a LAM, mostly always close to a MOTM there but obviously he's the player with so much talent he can be shoehorned into deep position without a DM next to him in a team without a structure or any ability how to defend as a unit. And with a player of as high profile as Pogba, he will always be the culprit and pointed at without reasoning. while players like Bruno have many more shocking games escaping some criticism because his purple patch when he came to us.

If Pogba played further up to pitch and be the main focus of the attack, be on every penalty, freekick and corners, he surely would have similar numbers like Bruno. The most misused talent of a player what I remember unfortunately. Also spent couple of years playing next to Pereira and Lingard, the only player pulling the team out of shit but this years will go unnoticed. And those long months when he was sideleined and then hit by covid, the more he was out the worst he was made. Strange habbit to call out injured players here on caf too, I tell you.

Anyway would be good for him to move away from this, unfortunately I can't see he will be replaced, but at least one less big status player to blame to breath cleaner air here:-)

Marwood

I don't think stumbling to a europa win against some teams we've never heard of means he was a world class manager.

However he did give Pogba everything he needs to perform. Tried him in every position. Selected him when he was off form. Claimed Pogba was brilliant when he wasn't to boost his confidence.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Well, who doesn't like Torino? Or Turin, if you will.

My only issue with the place is that when I visited - some years ago - there was a lot of rubbish dumped outside the city (as in - dumped in ditches outside the city: old furniture, kitchen appliances, all sorts of shite, it looked terrible).

Excellent food, though - first rate.

Mindhunter

I'll keep saying this over and over - any player that runs their contract down to the last year and refuses a new contract should not be played at all. I don't care who the player is.

We're only benefitting the player's next club and delaying ourselves focusing on the future.
What? Do firms not work employees till the last day of their notice period? Why do we pay him them? There is no place for any sentimentality.

He should be on the bench everyday and brought on as a sub as needed.

Dan600

I don't doubt given his contract status that there is/maybe some truth in this, but it's miraculous this news. A day after he has called the media out for their bull**** clickbait re the players and Ole and whatever dispute they feel like creating, they remember a stick they have to try and put Pogba back as United fans' public enemy #1, back ahead of themselves.

Like I say, there may be something in it, but we as fans shouldn't just forget and gloss over some of the scum that currently make a living in the UK sports media. They aren't friends of United fans, just our money. Stop clicking on their nonsense.

Marcus

I think that red card basically sealed his fate. He shouldn't play unless Bruno is injured.

What? Do firms not work employees till the last day of their notice period? Why do we pay him them? There is no place for any sentimentality.

He should be on the bench everyday and brought on as a sub as needed.
A lot of companies give employees different duties during notice periods. No longer giving them responsibiltyin key parts of the business moving foward or access to sensitive corporate information that could be taken with them to their new employer.

Different careers will different though.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
What a colossal waste he turned out to be. At least with Lukaku we got some money back.