Paul Pogba / turned down United offer of 300k as “nothing”

devilo

Pogbas one of the best midfielders in the world. How the feck are Fred and McTominay being picked there instead of Pogba playing there.
Best when? Certainly not whenever he plays in a midfield two in our 4-2-3-1 formation. Either he needs to play on the left of a three or we need to find some god-like partner to sit alongside him in a two and cover for all of his defensive shortcomings.

MrSingh2002

Best when? Certainly not whenever he plays in a midfield two in our 4-2-3-1 formation. Either he needs to play on the left of a three or we need to find some god-like partner to sit alongside him in a two and cover for all of his defensive shortcomings.
Or just a defensive midfielder that can run, tackle and pass.

Is it too much to ask for? A player than can do all 3?

Matic can't run and Fred and McTominay can't pass.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Or just a defensive midfielder that can run, tackle and pass.

Is it too much to ask for? A player than can do all 3?

Matic can't run and Fred and McTominay can't pass.
Pogba has never consistently performed in a midfield two in his entire career. Not for Juve. Not for France. Not for us. When do we stop blaming his partners and recognise that he himself doesn't suit that role?

Even for France, against weaker opposition than what he normally faces in the league, playing at a slower tempo, and with Kante himself next to him...France pretty much always use a third midfielder when Pogba plays. Interestingly enough, they are much more likely to only use two midfielders when Pogba doesn't play.

Pronewbie

Peep
Pogba has never consistently performed in a midfield two in his entire career. Not for Juve. Not for France. Not for us. When do we stop blaming his partners and recognise that he himself doesn't suit that role?

Even for France, against weaker opposition than what he normally faces in the league, playing at a slower tempo, and with Kante himself next to him...France pretty much always use a third midfielder when Pogba plays. Interestingly enough, they are much more likely to only use two midfielders when Pogba doesn't play.
Fergie always knew.. that’s why he stuck with a Giggs O’Shea midfield 2 and pissed Pogba off into leaving for Juve.

I disagree....ever since Ole has gone to the McFred CM pairing in big matches we've been pretty damn good which is from the covid return.

No, Pogba isn't an also ran however we don't have Kante playing beside him either. Scott nor Fred can play that role next to Pogba b/c they don't have the engine that Kante does to cover for two people.

Pogba also got found out in the recent euros that against top level players he struggles playing in a two person midfield
I don't really understand why ole doesnt put him in a 3 man midfield with 2 runners, then make Bruno part of the forward line.

DoomSlayer

I don't really understand why ole doesnt put him in a 3 man midfield with 2 runners, then make Bruno part of the forward line.
Because we would have Bruno, Cristiano, Sancho, Martial, Greenwood, Cavani, Rashford fight for 3 places. And both Fernandes and Ronaldo are pretty much automatic starters.

Also, only formation I see this working in is 4-3-1-2, which I've almost never seen us use.

simple....bruno is better on the ball and he's more effective playmaking from the 10 role
I mean, you could play split strikers, which is basically how greenwood and ronaldo play anyway, with bruno staying in no10. And our whole frontline is most effective when it's interchanging anyway.

Bruno's best United form coincided with Pogba in cm playing quick balls through the lines to get us up the pitch quickly. Bruno is lethal against a backpedaling defence, and without Pogba playing deep the ball doesn't get to him quick enough. Against really good opposition it's probably the best way to make us dangerous.

Because we would have Bruno, Cristiano, Sancho, Martial, Greenwood, Cavani, Rashford fight for 3 places. And both Fernandes and Ronaldo are pretty much automatic starters.

Also, only formation I see this working in is 4-3-1-2, which I've almost never seen us use.
I think our formations tend to be kind of fluid up top, so I don't really think a 4312 is different from a 433, just with slightly different starting positions.

We've got tons of really good attackers, true, but we can't be undermining our team structure just to fit more of them in. And this would be a team for bigger games when we need a solid midfield.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Im not sure if its the right thing to do but I want to make a thread about it. (Partly after watching the Frenkie de Jong is United's dream signing video).

If Pogba doesn't sign his contract - who do you think we sign to replace him?

I don't want him to leave but ultimately its looking like he will. He is one of our main players and a player we need replacing like for like isn't he?

I'm a fan of Rice but you cannot replace Pogba with Rice. That is just awful.

Who replaces Pogba, our creative player in centre midfield?

An 80 mil player will leave for free. Do United feel bad and go big for a player in midfield to cover that gap?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He began the season in fantastic form and on his day he is invaluable. Nonetheless he still represents a tactically demanding player who needs very certain conditions to flourish. Given our ongoing midfield issues and our obvious prioritisation of Bruno as the link between attack and midfield, I doubt giving him a new contract is the way forward for the team collective. It would suck to lose him twice on a free, but it's such a huge decision to give him a mega deal which means he'll have to play all the time, as he's not the long-term solution on the left both tactically and in terms of other personnel. Unless we're dropping Bruno into a 3 man midfield with some defensive midfield maestro signed to sit behind them, or going for a half-baked back 3 without suitable wing backs, he has to either play wide left or in a midfield two, which more often than not means a midfield one with him roaming.

On his day a sight to behold, I just worry about what sort of a style we can eventually develop with him as a fixed starter for the coming years.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I wonder what Fergie thinks of Pogba and the contract situation? I don’t think he’s been quoted much on if he felt he’s improved or how he’s done since he came back? It’s been pretty quiet on that front right? I can’t remember seeing anything anyway

laughtersassassin

I wonder what Fergie thinks of Pogba and the contract situation? I don’t think he’s been quoted much on if he felt he’s improved or how he’s done since he came back? It’s been pretty quiet on that front right? I can’t remember seeing anything anyway
Fergie never had a problem with Pogba. Just his agent.

And it turned out Pogba was right to leave. Same with Sancho and City. When your young you have to look out for your career.

If not you might not get your break.

Andrew7582

Not bothered if he leaves at all, we are well covered on the wings with Sancho, Rashford, Greenwood, Amad. The midfield needs a rebuild anyway.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Fergie never had a problem with Pogba. Just his agent.

And it turned out Pogba was right to leave. Same with Sancho and City. When your young you have to look out for your career.

If not you might not get your break.
I agree with this but Fergie tried everything to keep Pogba so I’d say he knew he wasn’t miles away either way. I’d just love to know what Fergie thinks about his second stint here. How we could get the best out of him or if we should have went for a different player instead. It’ll probably never come out.

jesperjaap

Forgetting off field circus, forgettign how dire our midfield is, forget his abilities, forget the supposedlack of quality around him....

Please can somebody justify how Paul Pogba, individually the player so far at United in 4/5years in central midfield here or as a left winger with all the options we have, approaching 29, justifies a whopping new contract of £400k+ a week, to be here for another 4/5years?

Its not even what side of the fence you sit on with Pogba. I just cant see how even fans can see this as a good footballing or financial decision, I would love to hear an valid point regardign this?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Can’t believe we’ve still got fans defending this guy and the circus he brings. Much rather he jogs off on a free again than giving him insane wages and shoehorning him into the XI. Get rid and sign a proper DM and a hardworking B2B.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Forgetting off field circus, forgettign how dire our midfield is, forget his abilities, forget the supposedlack of quality around him....

Please can somebody justify how Paul Pogba, individually the player so far at United in 4/5years in central midfield here or as a left winger with all the options we have, approaching 29, justifies a whopping new contract of £400k+ a week, to be here for another 4/5years?

Its not even what side of the fence you sit on with Pogba. I just cant see how even fans can see this as a good footballing or financial decision, I would love to hear an valid point regardign this?
There are no valid points. Just people who are too in love with the player to see his many flaws.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
He will be Newcastle’s first big signing. The first £m/wk footballer. It’s in the post.
All the best to him.

it will be a number of years before that club is relevant (if ever) in Europe and by that time he’ll he on the road to retirement. Like going back to juventus, he’d be pissing what is left of his club career away.

Offsideagain

Pogba and his agent couldn’t give a toss about United. Pogba will wind his contract down and the Raiola will negotiate a massive salary for Pogba and a huge commission for himself.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Id offer him a reasonable contract and leave it there. If we try and break a wage ceiling for him its fecking outrageous and weve learned nothing.

To be fair I still think we have learned nothing because of who is in charge but even so.

arthurka

Pogba doing Pogba things. He was never staying and that might just be the best scenario for all.

TsuWave

Pogba and his agent couldn’t give a toss about United. Pogba will wind his contract down and the Raiola will negotiate a massive salary for Pogba and a huge commission for himself.
This is what he’s supposed to do. You guys always try to frame players looking after their interests in a negative way.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I’d tell him that he won’t get a single minute of football for the rest of the season if he doesn’t sign the contract offered.

Give him 7 months of sitting in the stands.

lsd

The Oracle
I find it amazing that people actually think that he was asked specifically about his contact at United and his reply was "I like Torino "

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Wish we got rid, even if it is for free. But knowing us we will give him an even more ridiculous contract than his current one because he is marketable.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He should go for his sake and for our sake. Only way for us to find balance is if he leaves since his position is taken by Bruno, and only way for him to get some better reputation on his club career is by leaving and having a team built around him elsewhere.

AFC NimbleThumb

I find it amazing that people actually think that he was asked specifically about his contact at United and his reply was "I like Torino "
We all know that nobody honestly believes that, it’s just another thing to use against him.