Paul Pogba / turned down United offer of 300k as “nothing”

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Ok that’s fine apart from the fact that we are in the Pogba thread so criticism is just I’m my opinion because his form is erratic and his agent is out of control. There is no subtle racism on this particular topic that I see. I’m happy for people to point out examples but unless they do I wish racism would stop being played when we fans criticise a player, because as fans we have a right to
Get tired of reading this. Are we talking about last season post Covid? December onwards? Are we talking in the context of other players at the club? Over a five year period who has been better than Pogba for us? Can we talk about Bruno who’s form last season from December onwards was erratic at best, is erratic during 20 minutes of a game never mind a season ?

So it’s ok to question the personality of a player, call him a virus etc, who regularly persuades potential signings to sign for the club, who trains professionally, who comes back from tournaments early without a proper pre season to help out, who helps Bruno find a house and get settled. This is a disruptive figure in the dressing room? A virus? Question the professionalism of a man who doesn’t drink, isn’t seen out on the town, has never been in trouble and only had issues with one coach, who even Ronaldo had issues with (Mr Professional)Of course this has nothing to do with Pogba’s characteristics, his personality. No it’s all because his form is erratic….even when it isn’t erratic and isn’t any more erratic than any of our other attack minded players. DeGea, Shaw and to a much lesser extent Maguire are about the only consistent players I’ve seen in the past few years and even they have had dips and spells of poor form. DeGea has been in one for three years.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It wasn't just booing.

This in a season in which he was our best player. Not sure how many United player have received that.
That fans a bellend, frustrated but a bellend all the same. Will always get people like that unfortunately in a live sports environment

Godfather

It wasn't just booing.

This in a season in which he was our best player. Not sure how many United player have received that.
I would have slapped him left and right. Fair fecks to Pogba for staying that calm in this situation. Top professional.

golden_blunder

Staff
Get tired of reading this. Are we talking about last season post Covid? December onwards? Are we talking in the context of other players at the club? Over a five year period who has been better than Pogba for us? Can we talk about Bruno who’s form last season from December onwards was erratic at best, is erratic during 20 minutes of a game never mind a season ?

So it’s ok to question the personality of a player, call him a virus etc, who regularly persuades potential signings to sign for the club, who trains professionally, who comes back from tournaments early without a proper pre season to help out, who helps Bruno find a house and get settled. This is a disruptive figure in the dressing room? A virus? Question the professionalism of a man who doesn’t drink, isn’t seen out on the town, has never been in trouble and only had issues with one coach, who even Ronaldo had issues with (Mr Professional)Of course this has nothing to do with Pogba’s characteristics, his personality. No it’s all because his form is erratic….even when it isn’t erratic and isn’t any more erratic than any of our other attack minded players. DeGea, Shaw and to a much lesser extent Maguire are about the only consistent players I’ve seen in the past few years and even they have had dips and spells of poor form. DeGea has been in one for three years.
Where did I say he was unprofessional? now you’ve had your mini rant just take in again what was actually written.

I said he was erratic. That’s not really shocking to hear. Are others erratic at times? Yes. Are there higher expectations on Pogba? Yes, the size of his fee dictates it

is HE unprofessional? No, he behaves it seems very professionally in his job.

Is his agent affecting how he’s seen? Yes.

His agent leaks all these stories and says stuff, sometimes at really bad times like before a big European match. Fans get frustrated because they consider it as Pogba himself talking because he employs him and surely he can tell him to shut up

so, I can see how fans get frustrated. He’s a talented player, fans will always have high expectations, maybe even ones that could never be reached.

my only issue with him is that we can’t really play him and Bruno together

Bestietom

Seems we are prepared to risk keeping Pogba and hope he makes up his mind within his last year, to stay. If not we lose 50/60 million on his transfer, (less his 15million wages).
A big gamble, hope it pays off.??

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Where did I say he was unprofessional? now you’ve had your mini rant just take in again what was actually written.

I said he was erratic. That’s not really shocking to hear. Are others erratic at times? Yes. Are there higher expectations on Pogba? Yes, the size of his fee dictates it

is HE unprofessional? No, he behaves it seems very professionally in his job.

Is his agent affecting how he’s seen? Yes.

His agent leaks all these stories and says stuff, sometimes at really bad times like before a big European match. Fans get frustrated because they consider it as Pogba himself talking because he employs him and surely he can tell him to shut up

so, I can see how fans get frustrated. He’s a talented player, fans will always have high expectations, maybe even ones that could never be reached.

my only issue with him is that we can’t really play him and Bruno together
Oh sorry I wasn’t accusing you of calling him that, you said that you’re ok with it and that you don’t think it has racist undertones. I think if he had a different personality he could behave more unprofessionally and not suffer the same accusations.

I think saying his form is erratic is lazy. It’s throw away. There’s no context. He certainly wasn’t erratic last season. First couple of months he was consistently poor but once given time to get over the effects of Covid and build his fitness he was excellent and so I don’t think that it is just to simply say he is erratic and he never recovers from that tag because the minute a season finishes people just revert to the narrative again. This isn’t specific to this season either. Look through his performance threads for any season and it’s easy to see he has been one of our best players every season he’s played.

Justifying the tag on his price isn’t really helping either. Timing plays a massive part. The club have gone through a very very slow transition. Signing a 23 year old Pogba now would be much different to him signing to play alongside Jones, smalling, Young, Fellaini, Mikhi, Lingard, Perreira etc. Perhaps only Messi and Ronaldo would’ve transformed that bunch single handidly.

I keep reading there’s no way Bruno and Pogba can play together…..despite them playing together week in week out for the last two seasons. Again seems like people reaching for something that isn’t there. If Pogba stays, and I certainly wouldn’t blame him for wanting out, I don’t think we will see the McFred combo which is actually the issue. Neither are good enough individually to do the job we need them to do in front of a back four with Lindelof in it. I think a better DM and Varane in defence would see United flourish with Bruno and Pogba dovetailing behind Sancho, Cavani, Rashford etc.

golden_blunder

Staff
That’s the problem - we always revert to a double pivot then try to make the other players fit somehow. I am delighted that we have upgraded Lindelof. In my opinion not only is he the weak spot on the team but also the midfield was setup essentially to protect him.

hopefully now we may see something more expansive.

where does Pogba fit in? I genuinely don’t know but I’m happy to find out IF he wants to stay. If he wants out then there is no point keeping an unhappy player no matter who

Abraxas

Seems we are prepared to risk keeping Pogba and hope he makes up his mind within his last year, to stay. If not we lose 50/60 million on his transfer, (less his 15million wages).
I don't know that it's us being prepared to take risks, we simply don't have any control of the situation. Once a player gets down to a last year they hold all the cards.

Whether that came about through our ineptitude or simply his agent and Pogba agitating for a move is up for debate, but the history of the comments they've made gives some indication that it's mostly up to the player. We have him on big money at a fantastic club, we're offering another presumably bumper deal - what more can be done?

If there's 50-60 million on the table it's a risk not to sell but there is no indication that is true and if we are receiving a pittance and have some assurance he'll perform well ahead of a free transfer then it's not such a gamble because 30-35 mill for Pogba won't change what we can do significantly.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
I don't know that it's us being prepared to take risks, we simply don't have any control of the situation. Once a player gets down to a last year they hold all the cards.

Whether that came about through our ineptitude or simply his agent and Pogba agitating for a move is up for debate, but the history of the comments they've made gives some indication that it's mostly up to the player. We have him on big money at a fantastic club, we're offering another presumably bumper deal - what more can be done?

If there's 50-60 million on the table it's a risk not to sell but there is no indication that is true and if we are receiving a pittance and have some assurance he'll perform well ahead of a free transfer then it's not such a gamble because 30-35 mill for Pogba won't change what we can do significantly.
I think its obvious Pogba and his agent want a big bumper cheque. So they'll wait til January to see whats available and then sign for whoever gives them (that's the key here) the most money. I don't believe for a second we're willing to pay Raiola a giant commission for a renewal that we paid him for the transfer and thats what he'd want.

Bestietom

That’s the problem - we always revert to a double pivot then try to make the other players fit somehow. I am delighted that we have upgraded Lindelof. In my opinion not only is he the weak spot on the team but also the midfield was setup essentially to protect him.

where does Pogba fit in? I genuinely don’t know but I’m happy to find out IF he wants to stay. If he wants out then there is no point keeping an unhappy player no matter who
Your right @gollden blunder. It is a big risk keeping him and allowing him to decide his future in last year.
It should be sign the contract now or be sold.

RUCK4444

where does Pogba fit in
? I genuinely don’t know but I’m happy to find out IF he wants to stay. If he wants out then there is no point keeping an unhappy player no matter who
Well on the bolded parts surely any version of what we as a squad currently class as an 'expansive midfield' must include Pogba? He's our only world class midfielder for a start (not including Bruno in that.)

To me it's vital that Pogba renews for this very reason. Everything you've mentioned there about a more expansive midfield and not being shackled by defending a substandard defence is exactly what's been needed to get the best from Paul.

McFred with Bruno won't be expansive, even if they aren't shackled by protecting Lindelof.

This is where I've been arguing for Pogba to be partnered with a defensively sound midfielder (essentially a younger Matic) with Bruno ahead of them. Now that is an expansive midfield that can really take us places. People argue it 'will never work' which is a nonsense. With an improved defence behind him and a more attack minded midfield it would suit Pogba down to the ground. Ole knows it and that's why we are doing everything we can to keep him (imo.)

meamth

It wasn't just booing.

Yes, this is the one I mentioned.

Why should he be loyal? :houllier:

He got every right to move for free, wouldn't mind it.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I said he was erratic. That’s not really shocking to hear. Are others erratic at times? Yes. Are there higher expectations on Pogba? Yes, the size of his fee dictates it.
No it doesn't. That fee is paid. It has no bearing on his value to the team. Whether he cost us 5p or £500m it is irrelevant at this point.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

Agreed

sp_107

Main problem is his one and only best position in the team is taken by Bruno. any other place for Paul is like shoehorning him.

Either play Bruno in 8 role and push Pogba to further up on the pitch (dont think it works as Bruno/Pogba both lose the ball many times) OR
Buy someone like Kante to play both Bruno/Pogba in advances positions OR
sell Pogba and buy one of Saul/Neves/Carmavinga/Ilaix Moriba to bring in more balance

kthanksbye

Sad that for us he never consistently lived up to the standards he's capable of, partly down to him and partly down to the club, but I think this should be resolved this summer. He's too moody to be consistent, for any club, his performance in the EL final made that clear once again, even when he's flying and the team is in good form, he could turn up and have a stinker. Now don't get me wrong, a lot of other players are also guilty of that, but they're not running their contracts down to the last season, not demanding 400k/week and not letting their agents link him to a move every couple of months it feels like.

He should be given a deadline, if he doesn't sign the contract, he should not be around the first team anymore. Any club looking to wait for a year and get him for a free should know that they will be getting a player without a single competitive club game under his belt for an entire season, place a non negotiable, but reasonable price tag on him and end this circus if the right bid comes in.

Posh Red

Sad that for us he never consistently lived up to the standards he's capable of, partly down to him and partly down to the club, but I think this should be resolved this summer. He's too moody to be consistent, for any club, his performance in the EL final made that clear once again, even when he's flying and the team is in good form, he could turn up and have a stinker. Now don't get me wrong, a lot of other players are also guilty of that, but they're not running their contracts down to the last season, not demanding 400k/week and not letting their agents link him to a move every couple of months it feels like.

He should be given a deadline, if he doesn't sign the contract, he should not be around the first team anymore. Any club looking to wait for a year and get him for a free should know that they will be getting a player without a single competitive club game under his belt for an entire season, place a non negotiable, but reasonable price tag on him and end this circus if the right bid comes in.
I’ve heard Pogba called many things but moody has never been one of them

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We don't get to decide either. It's up to the player. That's how contracts work.
I disagree. Club can tell the player that they don't want to lose him for free so you have two choices leave now or sign a new contract, almost like Varane's situation with Real. If Pogba purposely not making choices so he can leave for free to allow himself and agent getting lot of money then that's what I call **** move and obviously deserves criticism from us.

theklr

Varane in for Lindelof will allow us to be more expansive which will in turn help Pogba. And having another playmaker (Sancho) that he can link up with and not only Bruno could mean he will improve alot for us

Posh Red

I disagree. Club can tell the player that they don't want to lose him for free so you have two choices leave now or sign a new contract, almost like Varane's situation with Real. If Pogba purposely not making choices so he can leave for free to allow himself and agent getting lot of money then that's what I call **** move and obviously deserves criticism from us.
What if he does want to leave but United is looking for a few that no one is prepared to pay? What should he do then?

crossy1686

career ending
It wasn't just booing.

Wow, hang on.

This was the end of the season where Jose got sacked. We'd been in blistering form that got Solskjaer the job and then it all went to shit over the last 10 games or whatever it was. There was palpable discord, frustration and anger at the team around this point. It was also when Neville came out and said he didn't "like" this United team or anyone in it and that was echoed on here and by most match going fans.

We only need a few points to secure top 4 and the bunch of big time Charlies we had on the pitch had already downed tools and checked out, most probably with half a mind on moving somewhere else at the end of the season. After this final game all the players left the pitch pretty quickly as it was obvious the fans were unhappy, all except for Pogba who purposely went over to the fans who were giving the team shit.

I'm not saying he deserved it, he definitely didn't, but he did this on purpose in a season where him and Jose were at war (and that was all over the media) and his agent was starting to hint at leaving. It's easy to leave somewhere when you can say the fans don't "love you".

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
What if he does want to leave but United is looking for a few that no one is prepared to pay? What should he do then?
Why should the club keep a player who wants to leave, sell him lower than what we were originally looking for like Varane Real Madrid situation. There will be buyer wants to take him for 50m as per reported. Asking for 70m is always unrealistic number.

golden_blunder

Staff
No it doesn't. That fee is paid. It has no bearing on his value to the team. Whether he cost us 5p or £500m it is irrelevant at this point.
Come on, have you never heard fans moan “we overpaid”. It’s happened maguire since he joined. Off course it happens. It shouldn’t have a bearing but it happens. With fans at least

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Wow, hang on.

This was the end of the season where Jose got sacked. We'd been in blistering form that got Solskjaer the job and then it all went to shit over the last 10 games or whatever it was. There was palpable discord, frustration and anger at the team around this point. It was also when Neville came out and said he didn't "like" this United team or anyone in it and that was echoed on here and by most match going fans.

We only need a few points to secure top 4 and the bunch of big time Charlies we had on the pitch had already downed tools and checked out, most probably with half a mind on moving somewhere else at the end of the season. After this final game all the players left the pitch pretty quickly as it was obvious the fans were unhappy, all except for Pogba who purposely went over to the fans who were giving the team shit.

I'm not saying he deserved it, he definitely didn't, but he did this on purpose in a season where him and Jose were at war (and that was all over the media) and his agent was starting to hint at leaving. It's easy to leave somewhere when you can say the fans don't "love you".
I mean you can just watch the video and see it isn't true. Pogba was our best player and the idiots singled him out for our failure.

Your response makes it sound like Pogba wanted that circus. I guess people still wonder why some of United fans don't think Pogba gets fair criticism. It's way over cynical when it comes to Pogba.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It wasn't just booing.

That fan would have feck all to say if they were both standing in a lift together... Probably "can I get a selfie?"

kthanksbye

He comes across as the complete opposite. Extremely positive and lively.
I was referring to different versions of him that turn up for games, some games he's running the show getting on the ball and making things happen, then suddenly he's jogging around, not covering his zone, misplacing passes and losing the ball in dangerous areas, some games where he looks like he's just another player when he's easily the most talented player on the pitch.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I was referring to different versions of him that turn up for games, some games he's running the show getting on the ball and making things happen, then suddenly he's jogging around, not covering his zone, misplacing passes and losing the ball in dangerous areas, some games where he looks like he's just another player when he's easily the most talented player on the pitch.
It's almost as if you are describing players can have different kind of performance over a season. It's not something unique to Pogba. In Pogba case it's blown out of proportion.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
At the end of the day Pogba is an extremely talented player who has played well for us plenty, but has been utterly inconsistent and turned out far too many crap performances for a player of his calibre.

He’s a shadow of top United players that have come before him and I’d be thrilled to see the back of him.

theklr

It's almost as if you are describing players can have different kind of performance over a season. It's not something unique to Pogba. In Pogba case it's blown out of proportion.
Agree, think the problem is that its more apparant with Pogba because the difference between his best and worst days are probably bigger than with any other of our players

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I don't think we have a choice really. And if we give him a deadline, we might lose him for nothing for real. He will have plenty of offers for next summer so personally, I think he will be off next year.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
It literally makes no sense to reject almost any sensible offer. Especially from United financial point of view. I highly doubt the reported figures of 75-100m.

Biggest danger is Pogba is only looking for high wages which nobody is willing to pay this summer. Because in that case he'd refuse to move even if somebody offers us 100m and there's nothing we could do.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
We can tell him whatever he like. He's under absolutely no obligation to leave now or sign a new deal.