Paul Pogba / turned down United offer of 300k as “nothing”

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Cant blame when he is about to leave in 5 months for free. He should just extend if PSG dont pay up this summer.
That's what reports say the club is negotiating for. Or you feel he should just sign whatever is in front of him?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Its not though.
People expect less from a £10m player than an £89m player.
An £89m player should be one of the linchpins of the team, someone to build around, someone who performs well consistently and who you have a clear plan for. That is clearly not the case for a £10m player.
If your £89m player is not doing that of course he'll come under more scrutiny than the £10m player, its completely natural.

The one part of the above you could say is outside of Pogba's control is the clear plan bit. I'm not sure we knew exactly what we were buying or how best to use him. Its clear Ole doesn't trust him in the bigger games and he's played in various different midfield positions as well. Personally I don't think he's good enough to build a midfield around. I don't like having to have 2 defensively minded players next to him to compensate for his poor defensive qualities, so in retrospect he's probably the wrong signing. Not all of it is his fault though.
Of course they do, but that's not the point is it? Perceived value prior to signing and his actual value are two entirely different things. Do you expect less from Rashford because he was a youth product, or almost nothing from Cavani because he was a freebie? You expect them all to be of a certain quality. When you decide whether you resign a player or if they are an important member of the team, then the transfer fee you paid 5 years ago has absolutely no bearing. Criticism of his transfer fee falls squarely at the feet of the people that negotiated and agreed it.

Last edited:

Grande

The bolded is complete and utter nonsense and just shows the fantasy land some of you are living in. Pogba isn’t in control of his agent’s mouth believe it or not, and even if he disagrees with what he said he’s not going to publicly undermine his representative.

Use your head.
If you think a player has no control over what the agent he employs says about him, you probably shouldn’t advise others on head-use.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
No matter what happens weve really fecked ourselves if he does leave for free a SECOND time. I know he wants to leave but the honorable thing to do if he ever cared about us is to sign a new deal with a release clause to show good faith. That will ensure if the team he wants is serious about him they will pay.

Dont care if he leaves but it cant be for free at the very least.
Why would he want to do that? That's just not realistic.

We waited way too long to offer him a new contract. You put yourself in a really shitty situation if the player has only 1 year left

KennyBurner

Why would he want to do that? That's just not realistic.

We waited way too long to offer him a new contract. You put yourself in a really shitty situation if the player has only 1 year left
I did kind of hint that we had fecked ourselves. It also is realistic for him to do the honorable thing given he has spent most of his footballing career at United. He came from our academy and has always been shown respect by the club. No reason for him to purposely run down his contract given we are even willing to sell at what we previously bought him for. Ive also seen reports that we are looking to increase his wages.

Steve 007

Interesting article in the mirror quoting moyes.

Moyes told beinSports: "I have to say I learnt a lesson a little bit from the owners of Manchester United at that time.

"I think Wayne eventually put a transfer request in, and the owners of Manchester United turned around and said, 'You don't think we listen to transfer requests? We've had far better players, many better players put in transfer requests. We tell them when we want them to leave Manchester United’.”

Sounds as if the Glazers would rather see out his contract than sell on the cheap, the issue is simple, no one has the money to buy him.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I just think that calling one of our own players a virus is the opposite of support, especially when, by all accounts, you're really pissed off with his agent (who, last I checked, is a different person). Pogba has never done anything nearly as unprofessional as Kane skipping training and refusing to take his covid tests, yet you won't hear Spurs fans calling him a virus.

Separate the player from the financial interactions. That's what they do. I don't know how Pogba interacts with the club or his agent, so I don't pretend I do. All I've got to go on is comments from within the club, which have always stated that Pogba is very respectful and a great guy to have around.

It's just weird to me, based on all this, that people are determined to call him a virus, not because of anything we know about him, but because of what we know about his agent (who, last I checked, is a different person).
Pogba agent stated he wants to leave at the end of the season, in before a very big game. Didn't that destabilize the team then? Has Pogba said something to clarify that's not his position? He didn't from what we know, at lease not publicly so no, I don't think that's respectful from Pogba.

I couldn't care less what comes from the club about the players, I'd expect nothing less than he's a great guy.
Again, an agent is your representative and speaks with specific intentions. I have no problem with Pogba wanting out, but I have no sympathy for him the together with Raiola they handled that situation. It's fine if you like him, just let's not pretend he has nothing to do with his agent actions.

kthanksbye

Apologies, what does the top paragraph mean?

He’s training with the team as expected and will play the opening game of the season against Leeds won’t he?

As for the second paragraph, there’s a whole host of players going into their last year unresolved at the minute, why would you second guess at best, defame/slander at worst, how much effort people put into games at any stage of their contract. You’ve added 1+1 and come up with 14… Ronaldo knew he was going to Real Madrid in 09, he still put in a shift for us didn’t he?
We'll see. I hope I'm wrong.

You've said there are a whole host of players and then compared him to the 8th wonder of the world that Ronaldo is.
Those two aren't even in the same league when it comes to drive hunger and determination.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Pogba agent stated he wants to leave at the end of the season, in before a very big game. Didn't that destabilize the team then? Has Pogba said something to clarify that's not his position? He didn't from what we know, at lease not publicly so no, I don't think that's respectful from Pogba.

I couldn't care less what comes from the club about the players, I'd expect nothing less than he's a great guy.
Again, an agent is your representative and speaks with specific intentions. I have no problem with Pogba wanting out, but I have no sympathy for him the together with Raiola they handled that situation. It's fine if you like him, just let's not pretend he has nothing to do with his agent actions.
This was at the point where it was civil war between him and Jose. Jose had the press label him a virus and the fans turned on him, of course he wanted to leave.

Ever since Jose went and Ole came he's been completely different. Raiola has barely said a word since that point.

Is it true Pogba wanted to leave then? yes. Is it true he's happy here now, his family are settled and he's considering staying? yes.

Maybe he will want to try a different challenge? who knows. People need to get over the fact a footballer doesn't want to spend his career all in the same place.

I'm sure though if he can see the team is being ambitious and will be aiming for trophies he will be happy.

Posh Red

We can all see how interested he will be to play for a club he clearly wants to leave, when he eventually turns up for games in a few weeks.

A player being world class only goes so far to performing on the pitch, I find it hard to believe that a player who has made up his mind to leave, and is just waiting for the winter window to finalize his contract with his next club is going to be of any use to us, world class or otherwise.
Would you drop Mbappe if you were Pochettino?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Didn't that destabilize the team then?
Perhaps - perhaps not.

But it certainly could have, which is bad enough.

Generally, I think it's fair to hold Pogba responsible to some extent for his agent's outbursts. Pretending he has no influence over what Raiola says about United is quite bizarre - and completely unnecessary, I could add: Pogba isn't a horrible twat for letting his agent play a certain game, that's just business as far as I'm concerned - the bizarre part is, again, pretending he's 100% innocent.

8thWonder

Perhaps - perhaps not.

Generally, I think it's fair to hold Pogba responsible to some extent for his agent's outbursts. Pretending he has no influence over what Raiola says about United is quite bizarre - and completely unnecessary, I could add: Pogba isn't a horrible twat for letting his agent play a certain game, that's just business as far as I'm concerned - the bizarre part is, again, pretending he's 100% innocent.
I agree, if Pogba told him to sit on his hands or I'll agent up with someone else, he would, wouldnt he? So even though I'm fully behind Pogba, he's not totally blameless for Raiola's comments.

Would you drop Mbappe if you were Pochettino?
Or Dybala, Goretzka, Camavinga and Dembele for their respective clubs?

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Perhaps - perhaps not.

Funny how Raiola only feels the need to talk shit about us for Pogba every year whereas for the rest of his clients he keeps his mouth shut until they want a move.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I agree, if Pogba told him to sit on his hands or I'll agent up with someone else, he would, wouldnt he?
Yes - clearly. Pogba is extremely marketable - Raiola wouldn't want to lose him.

His agent made some blatantly disrespectful comments about United (on multiple occasions). Many people reacted to those comments, fans were outraged, etc. Pogba did nothing to distance himself from it in any shape or form.

Again, to me that doesn't make him a horrible cnut - but it seems obvious enough that he didn't have a problem with what his agent had to say.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Can’t believe he’s forcing the club to post videos on our app of him scoring audacious goals in a bid to get PSG or Real to pay up for him :mad:

Also in the clips he’s laughing….and I know he’s laughing at us

Virus…get rid.

Can’t believe he’s forcing the club to post videos on our app of him scoring audacious goals in a bid to get PSG or Real to pay up for him :mad:

Also in the clips he’s laughing….and I know he’s laughing at us

Virus…get rid.
Dkm :lol: :lol:

roseguy64

Main problem is his one and only best position in the team is taken by Bruno. any other place for Paul is like shoehorning him.

Either play Bruno in 8 role and push Pogba to further up on the pitch (dont think it works as Bruno/Pogba both lose the ball many times) OR
Buy someone like Kante to play both Bruno/Pogba in advances positions OR
sell Pogba and buy one of Saul/Neves/Carmavinga/Ilaix Moriba to bring in more balance
Huh? When has Pogba played number 10 for us for more than 1 match or late in a game?

Yeah you're right. Pogba can't evade responsibility for Raiola's actions, I entirely agree. I just object to people calling Pogba a virus - that's nasty, dehumanising language, and United fans shouldn't be using it to describe our own players. He deserves balanced criticism, that points out his sometimes erratic form and the destabilising impact of Raiola's fat mouth, but also the fact that by all accounts he's a great influence in the dressing room, he's regularly produced match-winning performances for us, he's always turned up at training sometimes ahead of schedule at the club's request. When people call him a virus they're saying that he gives nothing positive to the club, which is just not true.

i know you're not saying that, but that was the quote I was originally responding to.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

croadyman

PAUL we have signed your international team mate and still trying to get the young midfield talent who looks up to you, what more can we do for you to actually sign that contract

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Many people reacted to those comments, fans were outraged, etc. Pogba did nothing to distance himself from it in any shape or form.

Again, to me that doesn't make him a horrible cnut - but it seems obvious enough that he didn't have a problem with what his agent had to say.
Yes he clearly is going to publicly shame and slam his agent isn’t he.

Swear people think the footballing business is like a football video game

Borys

Statistics Wizard
This was at the point where it was civil war between him and Jose. Jose had the press label him a virus and the fans turned on him, of course he wanted to leave.

Ever since Jose went and Ole came he's been completely different. Raiola has barely said a word since that point.

Is it true Pogba wanted to leave then? yes. Is it true he's happy here now, his family are settled and he's considering staying? yes.

Maybe he will want to try a different challenge? who knows. People need to get over the fact a footballer doesn't want to spend his career all in the same place.

I'm sure though if he can see the team is being ambitious and will be aiming for trophies he will be happy.
On the bolded part, I seriuosly doubt people have problem with Pogba wanting to leave. It would be interesting to do a pole, but judging by the Cafe I think 99% don't take it personally.
The problem is how this situation is being managed and how it puts the club in difficult situation.

Perhaps - perhaps not.

Couldn't agree more.

Yeah you're right. Pogba can't evade responsibility for Raiola's actions, I entirely agree. I just object to people calling Pogba a virus - that's nasty, dehumanising language, and United fans shouldn't be using it to describe our own players. He deserves balanced criticism, that points out his sometimes erratic form and the destabilising impact of Raiola's fat mouth, but also the fact that by all accounts he's a great influence in the dressing room, he's regularly produced match-winning performances for us, he's always turned up at training sometimes ahead of schedule at the club's request. When people call him a virus they're saying that he gives nothing positive to the club, which is just not true.

i know you're not saying that, but that was the quote I was originally responding to.
Fair enough. I don't know if calling him a virus is a thing here, mostly people "joking" about it.
I do think however the post quoted below:

It was said last season because of the dick things he allowed his agent to say which undoubtedly destabilised preparation, not because he doesn't get on with his peers and doesn't have banter with them.

If you're going to try and disprove this notion at least use it in the right context.
is a fair judgment of situation.

DSG

Of course they do, but that's not the point is it? Perceived value prior to signing and his actual value are two entirely different things. Do you expect less from Rashford because he was a youth product, or almost nothing from Cavani because he was a freebie? You expect them all to be of a certain quality. When you decide whether you resign a player or if they are an important member of the team, then the transfer fee you paid 5 years ago has absolutely no bearing. Criticism of his transfer fee falls squarely at the feet of the people that negotiated and agreed it.
I’m happy to let him leave on a free next summer. Or sell him for 35/40/50m This summer. Why? Resigning him to 5 year contract this summer would mean a financial commitment of £100m in wages, plus the non-stop circus that is Pogba. I’d rather bring in Camavinga, who will have less than half his wages.

I’m also concerned that the Caf will implode if we have another 5 years of nonstop Pogba debate. Seriously, he’s too polarizing of a player...

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
We can all see how interested he will be to play for a club he clearly wants to leave, when he eventually turns up for games in a few weeks.

A player being world class only goes so far to performing on the pitch, I find it hard to believe that a player who has made up his mind to leave, and is just waiting for the winter window to finalize his contract with his next club is going to be of any use to us, world class or otherwise.
I'm the first person to criticise him for a bad game, but he is a professional athlete, and will play to win whether he is staying or leaving, and even if you don't belive that, if he is trying to earn a huge offer from somewhere else he is going to be wanting to play like a superstar to get it.