Paul Pogba / turned down United offer of 300k as “nothing”

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I've got no issue with selling him if he is replaced adequately, in fact I'd prefer it as I think he will be self focused on injury prevention etc before the season is out.

My worry is we keep him, head's not here, feigns injury etc or that we sell him late and don't replace him. I also don't think we need a DM if we replace him, I'd rather have a playmaker from deep who does a bit of the defensive work, I think with our defense looking stronger as well, the need for that DM isn't as urgent.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think if he goes we need two midfielders ideally. If we replace him with a DM, then we still don’t have a good enough creative deeper midfielder, and if we replace him with more of a number 8, I think we still would need a DM.

Camavinga looks dead at the moment, but Cama + Saúl would be very good business in the midfield, for example, as we’d get both ball-winning and ball-playing ability of the highest level.

MemphisThePie

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
We will never get the best out of him in the double pivot, he’s a #10.
For the balance of the squad I wouldn’t mind replacing him with Neves+Sanches.

rotherham_red

I think if he goes we need two midfielders ideally. If we replace him with a DM, then we still don’t have a good enough creative deeper midfielder, and if we replace him with more of a number 8, I think we still would need a DM.

Camavinga looks dead at the moment, but Cama + Saúl would be very good business in the midfield, for example, as we’d get both ball-winning and ball-playing ability of the highest level.
Tbh, I think the club's midfield purchases over the last 18 months or so have all been with a view to replacing Pogba, and considering the writing was on the wall as far back as 2019, I don't think you can blame them.

Bruno was brought in as the 10 at a time when it was considered that Pogba was off that summer. Six months later, the alternative to/replacement for Pogba as the 8 came in the form of VdB, as there were rumours of Juve being in for him in summer 2020 (in fact, The Athletic even said that Juve went as far as having a bid rejected for him). The only thing to get now, is the DM, which was a need regardless, as Matic is in the final two years of his contract and has lost his legs in any case.

Circling back to VdB, and while he is a different player and profile to Pogba, granted, I do think we'll see a much better VdB this season than last. The reason why I think that is because he'll be playing with a player who has a complimentary profile in Sancho and we are also looking to play in a more suitable system for him (433) more often as well, moving forwards.

Tbh, I'm not too fussed re Pogba staying or going. I retained faith in him on the whole (save for a few points where I did waiver) but I think we've gone past the point of him being the embodiment of this team, and we are now (in a sporting sense at least) not beholden to him in the way that we were during the summer of 2019. Whatever happens, I wish him all the best and truly, I don't have any hard feelings towards him. He could have done better for himself, but so too could the club.

The only shame is that after 3 years of Jose forcing him in to an ill-fitting position and two years of dithering by the club in getting the players Ole wanted (and which Pogba needed to have the platform where he could truly express himself) the moment the club seems to finally be matching the ambition of Ole and Pogba, the latter looks like he may very well be leaving finally.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
We will never get the best out of him in the double pivot, he’s a #10.
For the balance of the squad I wouldn’t mind replacing him with Neves+Sanches.
I don't recall him ever excelling as a number 10 for any of United, Juventus or France.

He's barely even been used there for any of those teams.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Would make sense for PSG if they plan on going to a 5-3-2 formation, especially after signing Wijnaldum, Ramos & Hakimi. Just hope they offer us a decent amount which we can use on a DM.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Tbh, I think the club's midfield purchases over the last 18 months or so have all been with a view to replacing Pogba, and considering the writing was on the wall as far back as 2019, I don't think you can blame them.

Bruno was brought in as the 10 at a time when it was considered that Pogba was off that summer. Six months later, the alternative to/replacement for Pogba as the 8 came in the form of VdB, as there were rumours of Juve being in for him in summer 2020 (in fact, The Athletic even said that Juve went as far as having a bid rejected for him). The only thing to get now, is the DM, which was a need regardless, as Matic is in the final two years of his contract and has lost his legs in any case.

Circling back to VdB, and while he is a different player and profile to Pogba, granted, I do think we'll see a much better VdB this season than last. The reason why I think that is because he'll be playing with a player who has a complimentary profile in Sancho and we are also looking to play in a more suitable system for him (433) more often as well, moving forwards.

Tbh, I'm not too fussed re Pogba staying or going. I retained faith in him on the whole (save for a few points where I did waiver) but I think we've gone past the point of him being the embodiment of this team, and we are now (in a sporting sense at least) not beholden to him in the way that we were during the summer of 2019. Whatever happens, I wish him all the best and truly, I don't have any hard feelings towards him. He could have done better for himself, but so too could the club.

The only shame is that after 3 years of Jose forcing him in to an ill-fitting position and two years of dithering by the club in getting the players Ole wanted (and which Pogba needed to have the platform where he could truly express himself) the moment the club seems to finally be matching the ambition of Ole and Pogba, the latter looks like he may very well be leaving finally.
I’ve heard this school of thought a few times on here but I’m not sure I agree with it. When we bought Bruno Pogba still had 2.5 years on his contract, and I don’t agree it looked like he was off imminently at the time, beyond a lot of fan speculation and theory while he was injured, where they claimed he wasn’t really injured and will likely never play for us again. I doubt this was Ole’s understanding, and as soon as Pogba returned - Ole seems to have taken a position that he wants him to stay, and even now, that seems to be the case. As a result, I do not see us signing Bruno/VDB as some sort of replacements for Pogba.

Bruno was signed as a replacement for Lingard/Pereira. Before Pogba was injured, he wasn’t playing INSTEAD of these guys, he played alongside one of them, and it was clear that neither were up to it. Bruno upgraded our 10 position massively, but Ole never used PP there. VDB, I’m not sure the thinking there. My initial thoughts was that we simply needed a back up 10 option. Ole and the club have seemingly been trying to get Pogba to extend all along, so it makes little sense to spend £100m on replacements just in case. It’s not that difficult to just buy a replacement when he leaves.

Personally, I’m fine with Pogba leaving, and my personal opinion is that he wants to leave too, and the number one reason he wants to leave is so that he can play regularly in a fixed role, and preferably the one he prefers. In one of his last interviews at the back end of last season, he was directly asked what he wants for the future and he replied ‘hopefully to have one position’. He’s played in a number of different roles to fit him in, but not really his optimum role, which is an 8 in a 433. The signing of Bruno has put us in a position where we can only get the best out of one of these players at a time, and Bruno won’t be going anywhere, so Pogba probably should.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

Yeah, I think we'd need two midfielders also. Unless Garner makes a huge step up and is trusted fully by Ole, which is unlikely. Hopefully Pogba leaving will have a bit of a Coutinho effect (though we'll get at least 80m less :lol: )

Cloud7

I've got no issue with selling him if he is replaced adequately, in fact I'd prefer it as I think he will be self focused on injury prevention etc before the season is out.

My worry is we keep him, head's not here, feigns injury etc or that we sell him late and don't replace him. I also don't think we need a DM if we replace him, I'd rather have a playmaker from deep who does a bit of the defensive work, I think with our defense looking stronger as well, the need for that DM isn't as urgent.
If he does go I think we'll go with a new DM, with the starting midfielders being VDB and the DM.

Mainoldo

I can’t wait until he signs this new 450k deal.

This place will erupt :lol:. Well worth it.

ArjenIsM3

Yeah, I think we'd need two midfielders also. Unless Garner makes a huge step up and is trusted fully by Ole, which is unlikely. Hopefully Pogba leaving will have a bit of a Coutinho effect (though we'll get at least 80m less :lol: )
Don't think he's ready to start but I'd love to see Garner getting a chance to prove himself this season.

Cloud7

I could live with that pairing tbh.
Same. I think there's a lot more to come of VDB if we play him more, and get proper defensive support alongside him. VDB and a solid DM, with Bruno ahead of them, would be great for me this season. If we're found wanting, then we can always go in for another CM next season to replace him, but I would be happy entering this season with that.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I can’t wait until he signs this new 450k deal.

This place will erupt :lol:. Well worth it.
I think he’s a great player but even I don’t want that to happen if we are going to persist with a formation that doesn’t play to his strengths. Not sure what the point will be, and frankly, I’m not sure he would want it either. My thinking is he wants to have a settled role that suits him. No point putting him in a two and then sentencing everyone to more years of moaning that he isn’t great at tracking runners or pressing when he has never been this and never will.

If we played a 433, and we saw him as the advanced 8 in the middle three, then you are talking only one other player in the PL who can come close for me. As a 6 or whatever, you will get the odd moment, which will be offset with his weaknesses being exposed too.

Ultimately, and one of my biggest frustrations here, is we need to simply have a clear plan of how we want to play and how our players strengths and weaknesses fit into that vision. I don’t think this is always the case. We play Pogba in a role that isn’t his best, we’ll play Rashford on the right. We need to make tough calls, and I’m all for Ole selling Pogba if it is done out of decisiveness and vision.

Mainoldo

I think he’s a great player but even I don’t want that to happen if we are going to persist with a formation that doesn’t play to his strengths. Not sure what the point will be, and frankly, I’m not sure he would want it either. My thinking is he wants to have a settled role that suits him. No point putting him in a two and then sentencing everyone to more years of moaning that he isn’t great at tracking runners or pressing when he has never been this and never will.

If we played a 433, and we saw him as the advanced 8 in the middle three, then you are talking only one other player in the PL who can come close for me. As a 6 or whatever, you will get the odd moment, which will be offset with his weaknesses being exposed too.

Ultimately, and one of my biggest frustrations here, is we need to simply have a clear plan of how we want to play and how our players strengths and weaknesses fit into that vision. I don’t think this is always the case. We play Pogba in a role that isn’t his best, we’ll play Rashford on the right. We need to make tough calls, and I’m all for Ole selling Pogba if it is done out of decisiveness and vision.
It’s literally a deep line midfielder away from happening though. So I don’t see the problem. Will it happen this window probably not. But say we get Declan Rice next season we are fine and we don’t even have to play 433. He can play on a pivot just not the current role he is asked to play now. The role he’s asked to play now is purely down to not having a partner who can pass. Matic can do it but then it’s not very mobile you need a Fred close by. We can still have him and be very interchangeable.

But I get your point.

Double Pivot

Rice - Pogba works with Bruno or Donny even McTominay in the 10.

3 in the middle

Fred Rice Pogba

McTominay Rice Pogba

Donny Rice Pogba

These all work. No Bruno slander in this Post I just don’t think he would work in an 8 with Pogba but replace Bruno with Pogba the above 3 works too.

Passitlikescholes

I think we should give Hannibal game time this season. I feel he will be a fantastic player in a few years time.
Hes far too young and inexperienced to play CM for us this season, I'd see Ole only using him on the flanks or sub for Bruno. But then the question becomes how many games is he actually going to get in those positions, given how stacked we are in those positions and that Ole doesn't really rotate.

I'd be more inclined to send him on loan so he gets first team experience and games under his belt. That's why I think he's maybe 2 seasons away from being a regular contributor to our squad.

bosskeano

i can't wait until we sell him his arse this summer and bring in a player that is willing to put in a shift week in and week out

Tallis

He is a very good player - if he is in the mood, he can virtually win matches by himself. But my biggest issue with him is his consistency. To win the league, we need players that will consistently play well. He has too many ups and downs (and also injuries in the last 2 seasons). We need to try and get some money now.

Teja

Cant wait till the season starts and all the dreams/fantasies of a 4-3-3 comes crashing down.
It's a weird thing to fantasize about. Plenty of teams play 4-2-3-1 the way we play and are successful at it. Flick did it at Bayern, Tuchel at PSG, Klopp at Dortmund (temporarily for Pool), Wenger for Arsenal etc.

Dante

Average bang
I don't recall him ever excelling as a number 10 for any of United, Juventus or France.

He's barely even been used there for any of those teams.
He would have been a world class #10 in the nineties.

In the 2020's, he doesn't really have a position.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
I read he's enjoying our summer transfer so far, that a change of heart to sign could be on the cards. read that on a not so reliable source Daily Express.

RUCK4444

i can't wait until we sell him his arse this summer and bring in a player that is willing to put in a shift week in and week out
Nonsense. Pure, 100% nonsense.

I genuinely don’t think some of you watched our matches last season whenever he was fit. Was without doubt one of our better players whilst being partnered with McFred or an Ancient Matic.

Pure revisionism driven through nothing but a dislike for the player.

Highfather_24

It's a weird thing to fantasize about. Plenty of teams play 4-2-3-1 the way we play and are successful at it. Flick did it at Bayern, Tuchel at PSG, Klopp at Dortmund (temporarily for Pool), Wenger for Arsenal etc.
Yep. Its this idea that 4-2-3-1 is a defensive formation with 2 "holding midfielders" while 4-3-3 is a free flowing attacking formation. When in reality, it really depends on the personnel and tactics. A 4-2-3-1 can have creative players in the pivot, and a 4-3-3 midfield can be workman-like. Regardless, often teams play one of these on the ball and other off it. Think 4-2-3-1 suffered a reputation knock here because Clowngate used it in the euros.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
It’s literally a deep line midfielder away from happening though. So I don’t see the problem. Will it happen this window probably not. But say we get Declan Rice next season we are fine and we don’t even have to play 433. He can play on a pivot just not the current role he is asked to play now. The role he’s asked to play now is purely down to not having a partner who can pass. Matic can do it but then it’s not very mobile you need a Fred close by. We can still have him and be very interchangeable.

But I get your point.

Double Pivot

Rice - Pogba works with Bruno or Donny even McTominay in the 10.

3 in the middle

Fred Rice Pogba

McTominay Rice Pogba

Donny Rice Pogba

These all work. No Bruno slander in this Post I just don’t think he would work in an 8 with Pogba but replace Bruno with Pogba the above 3 works too.
Dropping our best player isn’t happening ffs

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Nonsense. Pure, 100% nonsense.

I genuinely don’t think some of you watched our matches last season whenever he was fit. Was without doubt one of our better players whilst being partnered with McFred or an Ancient Matic.

Pure revisionism driven through nothing but a dislike for the player.
The problem is that Pogba himself wants to leave as he's not accepting any of our offers to stay here.
So it's pretty obvious that we have to sell him now and replace him with a good midfielder.
Now if the new midfielder is as good as Pogba well that's very difficult.

RUCK4444

The problem is that Pogba himself wants to leave as he's not accepting any of our offers to stay here.
So it's pretty obvious that we have to sell him now and replace him with a good midfielder.
Now if the new midfielder is as good as Pogba well that's very difficult.
Yeah I didn’t say we shouldn’t sell him if indeed he wants to go or is willing to run down the contract and leave for free.

Whats annoying is the pure revisionism over his performance level here, if he’s been woeful then feck me how bad have our other midfielders been? But you don’t hear them being hounded out of the club.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Yeah I didn’t say we shouldn’t sell him if indeed he wants to go or is willing to run down the contract and leave for free.

Whats annoying is the pure revisionism over his performance level here, if he’s been woeful then feck me how bad have our other midfielders been? But you don’t hear them being hounded out of the club.
Oh i agree with you.
I'd love him to stay here.

mu4c_20le

I genuinely do think if he stays, we will need him on the left wing for the time Rashford is out with his operation
Sancho will start his United career there. I think people would be surprised how much of a difference a quality cb can make, it changes the dynamics of the midfield. I can't wait to see Frogba again.

Infestissumam

key takeaways:

- talks expected soon, both PSG and Pogba are interested
- no official bid yet, but things could accelerate
- PSG monitoring the situation for months
- Herrera and Rafinha could leave if they sign Pogba

Xaviboy

Big deal over Pogba. Hope this doesn't drag on now till end of August. Just get rid and get someone in. Can't afford another crap start to premier league so be nice to get in a replacement quickly so we can focus on the future without him.

passing-wind

If Pogba leaves the necessity is not a fancy sure but a player who is able to be effective in the role the manager requires. Given that Fred / Mctomminay are awful in distributing the ball I think a DLP is more useful. Neves has been totally disregarded but the whole point of a midfield is to have balance he does offer this. Pogba out and both a CDM + CM to come in place.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
He should be begging for a new contract tbh not going to an irrelevant club.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

key takeaways:

- talks expected soon, both PSG and Pogba are interested
- no official bid yet, but things could accelerate
- PSG monitoring the situation for months
- Herrera and Rafinha could leave if they sign Pogba
Also according to this article, Pogba was apparently upset about how last season didn't meet his expectations. Maybe he wanted us to do way better in Europe because our league campaign wasn't as bad as many of us expected in the end.