Paul Pogba's Passing

SirAnderson

A positive thread on Pogba (with 1 negative comment)

It's a joy to behold when he is in his element. I feel like we've wasted his talents with the players we've surrounded him with during his time here so far, (and Jose's stifling football) but hopefully that changes and we can see so much more of this.

EDIT:
Today's clips of him against Leeds:
That McTominay pass was just :drool:

Last edited:

Jericholyte2

A positive thread on Pogba (with 1 negative comment)

It's a joy to behold when he is in his element. I feel like we've wasted his talents with the players we've surrounded him with during his time here so far, (and Jose's stifling football) but hopefully that changes and we can see so much more of this.

There’s so many of these clips when he should have got an assist but for poor finishing. If it wasn't Mata/Lingard etc on the end of them his assist numbers would be through the roof.

It’s the difficulty of looking at his stats, because it relies so much on the recipient of the pass doing their bit too. Things like key passes or chances created are a much fairer reflection of his output.

RUCK4444

This is the video I mentioned in another thread, pointing out that you can see the benefit he has with willing runners with France.

More often than not for United its Rashford the willing runner getting on the end of his passing in the video. Can’t remember seeing much of Martial which helps cement my concern with him as the no 9.

He’s a phenomenal player. In my opinion renewing his contract is the most important thing we need to do as well as signing Sancho for the RW. It would be an unbelievable waste to let him go just as we start to build a better quality side around him.

SirAnderson

There’s so many of these clips when he should have got an assist but for poor finishing. If it wasn't Mata/Lingard etc on the end of them his assist numbers would be through the roof.

It’s the difficulty of looking at his stats, because it relies so much on the recipient of the pass doing their bit too. Things like key passes or chances created are a much fairer reflection of his output.
This is the video I mentioned in another thread, pointing out that you can see the benefit he has with willing runners with France.

More often than not for United its Rashford the willing runner getting on the end of his passing in the video. Can’t remember seeing much of Martial which helps cement my concern with him as the no 9.

He’s a phenomenal player. In my opinion renewing his contract is the most important thing we need to do as well as signing Sancho for the RW.
So true, that is the most glaring thing of this video and why I mentioned we've wasted his talents with the players we surround him with. Rashford is getting better I think and will hopefully click more with Paul, but definitely if we have proper runners and players who can see what he sees in a pass, it will be a sight to behold.

The things that I love of his crosses into the box, is he knows exactly where he wants that ball to be, and who its going to. Our fullbacks can learn a lot from him, instead of mindlessly crossing to nobody.

facund

It has sometimes been hard to tell whether he holds the ball too long or if there is no movement for him to exploit.

When he makes quick, incisive passes they are sublime and few can compare in my 30 years of watching.

Wonderfully highlighted by his first time drive across the pitch to Rashford on Friday. Few would try, even fewer would pull off such a pass.

diarm

Bloody hell I had to read that thread title twice and check which forum I was in.

Hoof the ball

That volley pass vs. Spurs was tremendous. It's not just that he adjusted his body, but also that he adjusted it in order to hit a specific type of pass to achieve a certain trajectory. Most would wrap their foot around it and accept that the ball would curve backwards slightly, but his pass glided right into the stride of the player.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Something wrong with it?
Nothing wrong with it at all - it's just that a lot of people use 'passing' as a euphemism for death, so this being in the CE forum would mean something else. :lol:

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Would you say he can control games?

Would you say he can dictate tempo?

MalcolmTucker

He can be guilty of holding onto the ball too long but the last two times he came on he has completely dictated the tempo and made us play a lot quicker.

SirAnderson

Nothing wrong with it at all - it's just that a lot of people use 'passing' as a euphemism for death, so this being in the CE forum would mean something else. :lol:
No mate it's perfect, I was just glancing down the list and misinterpreted it for a couple of seconds! Thought something awful had happened!
:lol: Oh shite, that didn't even cross my mind!

fps

It’s been sad watching him waste the last few years at a club that couldn’t match his ability. It’ll be sadder now the club has finally got some good personnel in place to watch him leave next summer.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He has the best passing range in the PL at the very least, probably beyond. Every pass he can hit off his right foot, he can hit off his left too.

KeanoMagicHat

Sometimes I think it's a race thing that you still get people calling him a power player, where if he was white he would known as a midfield schemer. Sure he has fine physical attributes but technically in terms of passing, touch and dribbling he is as good as any midfielder around.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s probably the best long passer in world football. Maybe Kroos is up there with him? Messi, maybe? Beyond that, no-one really comes close.

His short passing is a little sporadic for someone so good, though.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He has the best passing range in the PL at the very least, probably beyond. Every pass he can hit off his right foot, he can hit off his left too.
He’s definitely among the best, but I wouldn’t put him ahead of De Bruyne, who can replicate any of his passes and does it more consistently. At his best Pogba has an edge in dribbling and physicality, but I doubt that he has an edge in passing.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
:lol: :lol: :lol: . You haven't settled this matter in the other thread?
Asking for a friend :nervous::lol:

I’m waiting for him to define his terms for it before I respond. Pointless debating without him evidencing something to debate. It’s such a loose term that people think makes them sound cultured but they fumble when asked to clearly define it.

It’s difficult to get people to say exactly what they think so I’m hoping if I give him free reign to define it and let him pick his own example of a performance I can at least debate him.

Otherwise you end up disagreeing because there is no agreed definition.

I find with a lot of posters when you ask them to clarify and have a solid argument to debate they do a runner or say I don’t have to justify to you etc.

I’ll always justify my position when asked.

For the record I believe he can and does control games by dictating tempo. Dictating tempo literally means changing the speed or rhythm of the game. Pogba can up the speed and intensity of a game when he chooses as evidenced in the last 30mins.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s definitely among the best, but I wouldn’t put him ahead of De Bruyne, who can replicate any of his passes and does it more consistently. At his best Pogba has an edge in dribbling and physicality, but I doubt that he has an edge in passing.
If we say ‘passing’ to encapsulate all elements, sure. I don’t think De Bruyne hits those raking cross field and over the tops like Pogba does. Conversely, Pogba doesn’t come close to De Bruyne’s homing missile crosses.

SirAnderson

Thing is, De Bruyne has had time and players and manager to help him master and express his passing range. Over the last 3 years, Pogba hasn't had much to express that, with also sitting most of this season out. But I hear you, De Bruyne is up there, but I think given time Pogba could match and even better him in passing, long ones especially.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Sometimes I think it's a race thing that you still get people calling him a power player, where if he was white he would known as a midfield schemer. Sure he has fine physical attributes but technically in terms of passing, touch and dribbling he is as good as any midfielder around.
Who even calls him that anymore? Although you have a point, it was frustrating that he was labeled a new Vieira for quite a while.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Not sure about you, but I kinda was hoping we could just enjoy and discussion his passing ability.
I'm sure there are multiple threads and discussions about the rest of his game.
I see his passing ability as evidence of him doing this btw I’m just curious if others feel the same too.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
He is such a intelligent & technically sublime player. Frustrating to see so many of the fanbase underrated him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The other day in a discussion of his much fabled ‘consistency’ on here, I asked a poster ‘would you not at least say he has created chances consistently?’. Response was, ‘in short, no’.

SirAnderson

I see his passing ability as evidence of him doing this btw I’m just curious if others feel the same too.
I don't think I've seen enough games with us specifically to say for certain. But his France exploits in winning shows how he can control games. He has an ability to inspire others with what he does on and off the pitch, so to that extend he can make other players more confident and in turn indirectly control the game.

Tempo wise, he definitely always wants the ball and is always looking for a forward pass, has quick feet and definitely able to play those quick intricate passes to ensure we can unlock a solid deep defense. It's why people say he is the key to unlocking those bottom table defense, cause naturally creative players can control the tempo of a game through their vision and passing, the key to that is of course if your teammates are on the same wavelength.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
De Bruyne also seems to hurt teams with his passing much more. He puts crosses in from wide areas that put goals on a plate for the attackers. I’m not really sure why but you very rarely see Pogba put in a good cross.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

There isn't a CM who controls and dictates game on his own. It all depends on the team and manager.

Team should be on same wave length to control games.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
De Bruyne also seems to hurt teams with his passing much more. He puts crosses in from wide areas that put goals on a plate for the attackers. I’m not really sure why but you very rarely see Pogba put in a good cross.
Yea, when I say he has the best passing range - De Bruyne is certainly better in certain types of passes. As you said, his crossing ability is second to none. Pogba can hurt teams from all over the pitch though, inside/outside of the foot, on the volley, right foot/left foot. I mean, even Trent is better at a certain type of pass. I think in terms of range, there’s no better in the PL at the very least.

-Supreme-

I think that's down to the positions they operate in, De Bruyne tends to drift to inside right at times for City whereas I don't see Pogba covering this area for us, perhaps he should cover this space more often now with Bruno's arrival to provide some balance for the right side.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The other day in a discussion of his much fabled ‘consistency’ on here, I asked a poster ‘would you not at least say he has created chances consistently?’. Response was, ‘in short, no’.
It's a really weird one because everyone can agree on the fact that Pogba is inconsistent but it's not really from one game to the other but within the same game. In all games Pogba will show his best and his worst, he always creates chances, break lines but he also always has a brainfart in terms of defensive positioning or he will completely miss hit a pass. And for what its worth De Bruyne has the same issue.