Paul Pogba's Passing

criticalanalysis

That argument would've held had Pogba had much better passing statistics for Juventus and France, or better than Kroos and Modric, but he doesn't. Even when looking at metrics like key passes, he's done better at United than Juventus and France, in some seasons. Pogba was playing for the dominant league team in Juventus, alongside some of the world's best, so over there he wouldn't have the excuse of not playing for a great team like Kroos and Modric have.

I'd also want to have a look at xG and xA statistics as well. Some thing I imagine at Real is that with Ronaldo, they would take a lot of 30 yard pot shots that would count as a key pass, but not really a good chance created. Would be interesting to see if Kroos and Modric have higher key passes, but lower xA's than Pogba.
The passing statistics doesn't matter in comparison to Kroos/Modric when he has played for France/Juve because the results speak for itself! I.e key player in World Cup win, multiple Serie A titles and Champions League Finalist.

So again going back to my original point 'the issue with those examples that you mentioned is when have those players been the primary and almost sole creative outlet from central midfield?'

To be fair I don't think we disagree on anything fundamentally but to slight him with the 'he's a hollywood ball passer type' (when he plays in a midfield two behind quite simply disgustingly poor players in a Utd team devoid of creativity with under par team mates/managers) and then say he doesn't compare to Modric/Kroos, who play different roles in completely dominant teams is..out of context.

It's just another strange comparison and stick to beat him with it.

Son

This is the video I mentioned in another thread, pointing out that you can see the benefit he has with willing runners with France.

More often than not for United its Rashford the willing runner getting on the end of his passing in the video. Can’t remember seeing much of Martial which helps cement my concern with him as the no 9.

He’s a phenomenal player. In my opinion renewing his contract is the most important thing we need to do as well as signing Sancho for the RW. It would be an unbelievable waste to let him go just as we start to build a better quality side around him.
I agree with this. In reality we are not going to see a better player at the club for the foreseeable future than Pogba.

On his day he is as good as anybody. The fact the guy has been out all season injured and instantly played a 40 yard pin point pass to Rashford was unreal.

Hopefully the rather loud minority of our fans can stop calling him a virus from now on and just accept he represents their club.

The fact we’ve had actual United fans trying to get him out the club is a disgrace. We all love Ronaldo but it’s hard to say he was more loyal than Pogba to the shirt. Pogba came back for one.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
His passing is amazing. The only thing I think he could do a bit better is the simple passing and when he is under pressure, but as we all know it's never the matter of talent with him but rather disiplin and concentration. That is harsh though as he deserves only credit for his passing, it is simply on another level to most. Only Scholes, Xavi, Pirlo etc were better.

0le

We haven't had a player with his passing ability since Scholes and Carrick. He also has the athleticism to match his incredible technique. Sometimes I look at Pogba and think he is like the Ronaldo of midfielders in terms of build and technique. I and others have been critical of his consistency but much of that is related to injuries, constantly being played in different positions and lack of runners. Despite this, when he is on the pitch, even during a bad game you can still rely on him to create a chance.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
We haven't had a player with his passing ability since Scholes and Carrick. He also has the athleticism to match his incredible technique. Sometimes I look at Pogba and think he is like the Ronaldo of midfielders in terms of build and technique. I and others have been critical of his consistency but much of that is related to injuries, constantly being played in different positions and lack of runners. Despite this, when he is on the pitch, even during a bad game you can still rely on him to create a chance.
Yeah he is amazing. His quality makes it very easy to forgive Pogba. He simply has to play to his potential, for this club, without anymore distractions or excuses. It's very simple, and I'm looking forward to it because I doubt he can get his move anymore and he knows this which means full concentration on this club. Happy days.

Icemav

I think for me what I also like is that he is always trying to be positive in his passing, which is what often makes people think he is not good with the basic stuff, because even with the basic stuff, he is doing risky things, whether that's a good or a bad thing is another story. Here's a clip of his game against Spurs and you see some of those positive passes. Coming from years of sideways nonsense, we need this to break down the lower teams.

Unbelievable first contribution back. Controlled the game and towered over the Spurs players. Even dropped deep when needed which Bruno wasn't doing for us.

We have so much averageness in the squad that there is so much expectation. No doubt he sometimes lets the team down when poise is required but he also can raise the team to level no one else is capable of.

Can't wait to see more. And with Bruno. Could be lethal.

Blood Mage

He's got the best passing range in world football IMO. Only De Bruyne and Verratti get close to him.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I thought that initially as well, that you can argue Kroos/Modric play safer passes and therefore have higher percentages, but even in statistics like key passes (non set-piece) both Modric and Kroos have higher numbers than Pogba. Pogba's long pass completion rate does not vary significantly between Juve (72%), France (69%*) and United (68%).

For Kroos, his long pass completion is also consistent at 85% for Bayern, Germany* and Madrid.

* is because the international team statistics are only for major tournaments, not friendlies.

I'm getting these stats from whoscored.com btw.
I don't have numbers, so comparing what I've seen of Pogba to Scholes/Kroos/Pirlo, a lot of his long passing is not a ball to the wing but more straight, long pass and through ball at the same time. He does do the wing pass/switch play, but not as regularly as Scholes used to. I bet those are higher percentage passes. I also think it might have been because Jose did not have his wngers hugging the touchline, which made that pass less useful/possible.

Nikelesh Reddy

He’s a uniquely gifted footballer,there’s absolutely no question about that.But unfortunately he needs to first clear his head and commit himself to the club before he can produce consistent performances.In today’s transfer market no club might be willing to come in with a huge offer for him,so there’s a real possibility that he might end up staying for another season atleast.Hopefully he”ll stay fit and get back to his best before the end of the season...

Slik

How he plays is just a joy to watch. Hopefully he can build full fitness and have a consistent run in this team. The team looks really good

Untd55

Only downside is we may only see this for 7 more games. I hope he signs a new contract. Replacing him will be impossible

He is ridiculously good at his best. Has everything to his game.

SirAnderson

Only downside is we may only see this for 7 more games. I hope he signs a new contract. Replacing him will be impossible

He is ridiculously good at his best. Has everything to his game.
I'd rather we run out his contract than replace him honestly. But I think the option for a further year will be triggered. Is it the club that triggers it or the player? Or must it be mutual?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'd rather we run out his contract than replace him honestly. But I think the option for a further year will be triggered. Is it the club that triggers it or the player? Or must it be mutual?
I expect he’ll sign a new deal. Think it would have happened already if he’d been on the pitch this season, however - I think by the end of the year latest we’ll agree a deal.

meamth

And see him winning titles with Real Madrid.

That would totally hurts, letting him go during his prime is just madness by our fans.

Ed9

The option for one more year is up to the club, if we want to trigger it we don't have to ask him.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I think that's down to the positions they operate in, De Bruyne tends to drift to inside right at times for City whereas I don't see Pogba covering this area for us, perhaps he should cover this space more often now with Bruno's arrival to provide some balance for the right side.
Very good point. The rare times he's been in those positons, Pogba showed a very good crossing ability.

RedTechsture

Supports
Shrewsbury Town FC
Certainly has his detractors, and I dont think his brothers and his "entrourage" help his cause in the eyes of many of our fans and the likes of Souness......HOWEVER......caveat completed......

The differece when he is on the pitch is palpable. The 15-20 minutes he as on the pitch against Spurs he achieved more than most. And then viewing against Sheff Utd, of what our team could potentially become, with him and Bruno et al in midfield pulling the strings was brilliant.
Personally I hope he stays......and now ALL of the creative pressue is off his back (A. Having Bruno and B. Having a resurgent Matic to protect), he can become the player that we all want

Scholsey2004

I think we need to always play him as one of the attacking midfielders behind the striker where his strengths are maximised and his weaknesses less relevant. We know he plays a lot of high risk high reward passes and is poor at marking players and spotting danger so ideally you want him away from your own goal. Ive been totally convinced by him in the front 4 and ive never been convinced by him in centre midfield. The fact that its taken so long for us to find out how he's best utilised probably doesnt reflect well on our coaches during his tenure here. The guys 28 now for gods sake.

romufc

I think him playing LW actually helps us. I know alot of people are like no he needs to play central but hear me out.

Playing Pogba LW helps us because we usually play Rashy, Martial and they want to dribble, create chances for themselves, Pogba comes infield and looks for the creative pass, and give us numbers in midfield.

The confidence of Shaw, means he will give us the width on the left side so Pogba can play narrow and do what he did without the need for him to defend and pick up the ball from our CB.

We know he can pick a pass and he did it brilliantly.

CG1010

I think him playing LW actually helps us. I know alot of people are like no he needs to play central but hear me out.

Playing Pogba LW helps us because we usually play Rashy, Martial and they want to dribble, create chances for themselves, Pogba comes infield and looks for the creative pass, and give us numbers in midfield.

The confidence of Shaw, means he will give us the width on the left side so Pogba can play narrow and do what he did without the need for him to defend and pick up the ball from our CB.

We know he can pick a pass and he did it brilliantly.
He hardly stays on the left anyway when we have the ball. In Ole's own words, he had the freedom to roam around.

romufc

He hardly stays on the left anyway when we have the ball. In Ole's own words, he had the freedom to roam around.
Exactly, but isn't that good? gives us 4 in midfield with Bruno running forward as well but with also protection behind Pogba.

I think Shaw's confidence has really helped Ole to play this way. He can trust him to get forward and take care of that left side.

CG1010

Exactly, but isn't that good? gives us 4 in midfield with Bruno running forward as well but with also protection behind Pogba.

I think Shaw's confidence has really helped Ole to play this way. He can trust him to get forward and take care of that left side.
It is and the parallel is how LVG used Mata from the right. At that time we had Valencia at RB who could be relied upon to defend on his own and also do the running to provide options out wide. But the difference from then is we do have other options like playing Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho on both sides to stretch the opposition.

romufc

It is and the parallel is how LVG used Mata from the right. At that time we had Valencia at RB who could be relied upon to defend on his own and also do the running to provide options out wide. But the difference from then is we do have other options like playing Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho on both sides to stretch the opposition.
Yep and obviously this won't work in every game, like you say we have options so we can approach different games with varied approaches.

This is why I think going forward we can be special, we are probably have the most unpredictable forward line.

His vision and long range passing is world class. I just wish he was better at tempo passing.

KungFu Eric

When he is playing like on Saturday, he is an absolute joy to watch. But far too inconsistent. I dont want to take anything away from that performance , because it was top draw. He pretty much had a free role. What happens when Rashford is back and fit, Cavani is fit , Sancho is starting. Where does Pogba play ?
Meanwhile, what a bad problem to have :)

Siezard

Still remember how Pogba score a goal and beat Milan and qualify further to the Europa.

scottw

Supports
ManUtd and AtlantaUtd
I like to look at it this way when people say OMG why can't he do what he does with France... First, France is fully of world class players, United are not, we have good players, but lets be honest world class beyond Pogba and BF is it, David was at one time, still top quality but not world class. So to call Pogba lazy is silly, he doesn't have the players he has with France. I do agree he at times looks like he isn't trying out there, but when he does, and the front players accept his world class passes he is unstoppable, case in point Saturday, dude does things nobody else in this league does outside of De Bruyne. I loved watching him this weekend, and I hope it continues b/c we will make a real run at the PL title this season if so.

Everyone is scared of Citea, they don't sign Kane they don't have a finisher, Chelsea are the only team I worry about, if Frank was still the coach I wouldn't be but they have a talented group of studs and a top quality gaffer. LP are not going to run the league this season, they were a 1 hit wonder. We can win this, we just have to win the games we should have last season that we lost or tied, if that were the case we would be going for the repeat. Varane is going to shore up the back for us, and Sancho is going to torch the lower teams week in and week out, and I feel like he will be able to against the top 6 clubs too. I am beyond excited to watch this season unfold.

cyril C

Pogba's passing is never a doubt, those world class pass happened when he passed it 1st time without a look.

His problem is when he is not passing, when he tried to do a ZZ-turn inside his own half, when he tried to hold on to the ball while thinking about where to host the party tonight. His strength is his body, his weakness is his head, and his agent.