Paul Scholes’ 18 Questions with Gary Neville | Overlap Xtra

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
I love the fact he admits the Barce goal was a misskick, just unbelievably honest and a perfectionist at his craft rather than your typical narcissism. I really like that he dislikes music and superheros. And the drinking stories are great

'People will love these quickfire questions' - they're not very quickfire are they :lol: Ask a crap question get a crap answer :lol:

'I want someone who'd run the channels' - 'I know because you wanted someone who'd make you look like a better footballer than you were' :lol:

'Ultimately the only people I wanted to please in football is the people you played with and the people you played for' - that's really the ideal you want from your player and such a great down to earth attitude

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Legend :lol:

Interesting that he had such poor eating and drinking habits. Would’ve thought he was really on top of nutrition given his longevity.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
That's hilarious, the island question

"Not this shit."
"Shit question shit answer"

Doesn't like music :lol: hope he rocks up in a Stormzy music video now.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Infact after watching that I think I like his punditry even more.

He just doesn't play up to the cameras and use every cliche under the sun like the rest of the silly bollocks do. He just tells it exactly how he sees it.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
That bit where he got all worked up talking about McTominay and Fred not being able to play on the half turn. :lol:

Tommy79

Man his bitterness over not been offered a role here, still strong as ever. He never ever has anything positive to say about us and makes acid tongue Roy seem tame in comparison.

Last edited:

Dominos

Enjoyed the full interview but his and Gary's takes on United are really bad. Basically said that United shouldn't play out from the back because the OT crowd gets nervous and we're not a possession based club so ETH shouldn't even try to get us to play his way, managers should play the "United way".

I thought the "United way" rubbish had died out years ago but it still lingers. First it was appointing a British manager (Moyes), appointing loads of ex-players as coaches/assistants/technical staff, then appointing United legend as manager despite having no credentials, building a "British core" in Maguire/AWB/James. Then it was only a year or so ago that Neville said United should appoint Simeone because he sometimes plays 442 and United are a 442 club :houllier:

Last edited:

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Enjoyed the full interview but his and Gary's takes on United are really bad. Basically said that United shouldn't play out from the back because the OT crowd gets nervous and we're not a possession based club so ETH shouldn't even try to get us to play his way, managers should play the "United way".

I thought the "United way" rubbish had died out years ago but it still lingers. First it was appointing a British manager (Moyes), appointing loads of ex-players as coaches/assistants/technical staff, then appointing United legend as manager, building a "British core" in Maguire/AWB/James. Then it was only a year or so ago that Neville said United should appoint Simeone because he sometimes plays 442 and United are a 442 club :houllier:
They're right that United have never really been a club known for possession football. Even Fergie's best teams were known more for brilliant counter attacks. And they're also right that we're not wedded to a fixed philosophy in the same way as Barca and Ajax. It's not really about the United way. We don't really have a way.

Dominos

They're right that United have never really been a club known for possession football. Even Fergie's best teams were known more for brilliant counter attacks. And they're also right that we're not wedded to a fixed philosophy in the same way as Barca and Ajax. It's not really about the United way. We don't really have a way.
It's irrelevant though isn't it? City weren't a possession football club, are their fans and ex-players sat there complaining that Pep playing out from the back is against tradition and makes them nervous?

The only reason to bring it up would be to suggest that because the club isn't known for a possession based philosophy then we shouldn't have a manager try to implement possession based football. It's ridiculous, you just need a manager to implement what they want successfully. It's not "style over substance" football if it works, Pep's teams score more goals than anyone.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Loved the interview but the views on Utd are infuriating and it’s exactly that mindset amongst certain sections of the fan base that can be so damaging.

NewYorkRed

Loved almost all of it, but I really don’t understand the comments on Sancho and Varane. Especially when both are doing so well. Like who does that help? Some of our ex players need to understand their job is now to be a supporter like the rest of us. We’ve all already seen they coach just like most of us would too.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Loved almost all of it, but I really don’t understand the comments on Sancho and Varane. Especially when both are doing so well. Like who does that help? Some of our ex players need to understand their job is now to be a supporter like the rest of us. We’ve all already seen they coach just like most of us would too.
You've also got to remember this was likely recorded in the summer.

Strats

Loved it. Will always be my favourite player.

Must have been incredibly difficult dealing with his autistic son during his career. Massive respect for him to be able to maintain such a high level as he did.

little.triangles

It's irrelevant though isn't it? City weren't a possession football club, are their fans and ex-players sat there complaining that Pep playing out from the back is against tradition and makes them nervous?

The only reason to bring it up would be to suggest that because the club isn't known for a possession based philosophy then we shouldn't have a manager try to implement possession based football. It's ridiculous, you just need a manager to implement what they want successfully. It's not "style over substance" football if it works, Pep's teams score more goals than anyone.
Exactly. It's such an obtuse point for Scholes to make. A club can play like Barca or like Stoke depending upon who the manager is and the players at his disposal. These ex-players need to realize that their era is over. United have not won a title for 10 years, and except for De Gea nobody surivives from that group of players. Ironically, he is one of the current players who stops us from playing a possession style because of his lack of ability on the ball. He will be moved on.

If EtH stays here for at least 2 years, we will definitely be playing possession football, and a club of this stature needs to.

Also style over substance was probably relevant during Scholes' time for a team like Arsenal. It is not relevant to City who do both.

little.triangles

It's a difference I have noticed between the ex-players of Liverpool and United. Theirs will defend and big-up their players, almost to a fault. Ours can't help putting the boot in. A middle ground will be much appreciated.

Last edited:

DSG

I appreciate their point. In their mind, playing under SAF, there never was a definitive footballing philosophy. I agree, SAF’s United was a reflection of the man himself: practical application of tactics to fit the opponent and achieve the desired result — a win, usually. Pep will never waver from his philosophy no matter the opponent, and that’s why post-Messi, he’s failed to win a CL.

Why must we have a club wide footballing philosophy? PSG doesn’t, Real, Juventus, Bayern… none of them has the kind of to-the-core philosophy that Ajax and Barca have.

Dominos

I appreciate their point. In their mind, playing under SAF, there never was a definitive footballing philosophy. I agree, SAF’s United was a reflection of the man himself: practical application of tactics to fit the opponent and achieve the desired result — a win, usually. Pep will never waver from his philosophy no matter the opponent, and that’s why post-Messi, he’s failed to win a CL.

Why must we have a club wide footballing philosophy? PSG doesn’t, Real, Juventus, Bayern… none of them has the kind of to-the-core philosophy that Ajax and Barca have.
We don't need a club wide footballing philosophy. We just need to allow our manager to implement what they want to do. If they want to play out from the back, you can't say "that's not the United way. The crowd get nervous when you play out from the back, we don't do that here".

Enjoyed that. I like his sense of humour, and obvious humbleness. Best of luck to him and his family.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
A genius footballer . Will always be one of my favourites. Wouldn’t agree with a lot of his views but so what!
When I think of Scholes I think of a game V Blackburn at OT in 07 ( I think).It was towards the end of the season we were in the title race and needed to win so in true United style we conceded early.
We then proceeded to batter Blackburn but could not score. I remember Scholes getting the ball on the edge of the box, calmly beating a couple of defenders and sticking it away. It was as if he was tired of the rest fannying about missing chances! Glorious.
We went on to win 4-1 and win the title.