Paul Scholes | 2011/12 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brophs

The One and Only
As brilliant a player as he is and as much as I wanted him to stay, it's always tinged with a slight thought that as long as Fergie can call on him and Giggs he'll hold off on properly replacing them.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Can people stop moaning about "oh another reason to not sign a midfielder". It's a bit embarrassing. Scholes is a one off. Enjoy him while he's here.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Good news. We most definately won't be signing a CM this summer now though.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Can people stop moaning about "oh another reason to not sign a midfielder". It's a bit embarrassing. Scholes is a one off. Enjoy him while he's here.
Does it not worry you in the slightest that we are relying on 2 38 year olds who are surely now in going into their last season at the club without any clue of who may be replacing them?

Devil may care

Can people stop living in the past and with rose tinted glasses on, we need midfield investment and have for years, all this sentimentality is embarrassing.

SER19

Does it not worry you in the slightest that we are relying on 2 38 year olds who are surely now in going into their last season at the club without any clue of who may be replacing them?
christ man compose yourself. the season ended yesterday. all thats happened is that our best player this season has signed a contract. we'll sign a midfielder for feck sake,chill out and be glad

Smores

Far too many spoilt brats on here. I cringe everytime I read the 'value' posts. You'd think people would have more respect for Sir Alex and the club but apparently not

prateik

Our summer signings: Scholes, Fletcher, Pogba.

Seriously though, great news.
If Fletch is fully fit, I honestly wouldnt be disappointed with a midfield of
Scholes, Carrick, Anderson, Cleverley, Fletch, Pogba.
... obviously with Kagawa thrown in.

Ash_G

I think the plan as we all know is to replace Scholes with clev/ando. We just need to see how well clev can actually player over a season. Giggs is more just a part of the squad than anything. It's not like we rely on him in any particular place, he's just a very good squad player who happens to be 38. He doesn't need replacing as we're well stocked out wide. As for scholes like I said I guess we're waiting on how clev and ando do. I hope though this doesn't stop Fergie going in for another centre mid, to not do so would be stupid.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Can people stop living in the past and with rose tinted glasses on, we need midfield investment and have for years, all this sentimentality is embarrassing.
Definitely. I've been saying for 3 years that we need midfielders. But its hardly upto Scholes. The kind of form he's shown, he more than deserves another season.

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
One of our best players of last season and one of our greatest of all time signs a new contract one day after the seasons finishes and the first thing you do is moan? This doesn't mean we won't sign anyone ffs, get a grip.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
How many of the plonkers in here actually heard what SAF said. He's hinted next year is Scholes' and perhaps Giggs' final season and emphasised the importance of Scholes having 25-30 quality games that year, clearly this doesn't mean we won't invest in a midfielder.

Devil may care

Definitely. I've been saying for 3 years that we need midfielders. But its hardly upto Scholes. The kind of form he's shown, he more than deserves another season.
He showed decent form over half a season, he admitted himself when he retired he didn't have the legs for a full season, this is just prolonging things.

One of our best players of last season and one of our greatest of all time signs a new contract one day after the seasons finishes and the first thing you do is moan? This doesn't mean we won't sign anyone ffs, get a grip.

Didn't you spend all last summer in the Sniejder thread? And I'll wager it does indeed mean we wont buy in midfield with the same excuses trotted out.

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
Didn't you spend all last summer in the Sniejder thread? And I'll wager it does indeed mean we wont buy in midfield with the same excuses trotted out.
:lol: No, that's wr8_utd.

So if QPR didn't collapse in the final 5 minutes do we still need a midfielder? Fine margains. Not saying we don't need to strengthen, but jumping to such a negative conclusion after hearing great news about a fantastic player is odd.

Ash_G

Tbh though, as much as we need to move on at some point, if Fergie did get another midfield enforcer in then it wouldn't be a problem if scholes/giggs kept carrying on. Our problem atm is because we've left ourselves with 2 old players who need protecting and can't always play, 2 injury prone players who have everything to prove, 1 quality player with a serious illness and 1 reliable player, is that instead of being able to chose to play scholes in games where he can be the difference, such as the smaller teams who try to sit back, and where he's shown he's still the king, we have to play him/giggs, in important games where their lack of physical capabilities holds us back. If we had a better balance there and these guys could maintain their level for the near future, there's no reason they couldn't stay on.

Devil may care

:lol: No, that's wr8_utd.

So if QPR didn't collapse in the final 5 minutes do we still need a midfielder? Fine margains. Not saying we don't need to strengthen, but jumping to such a negative conclusion after hearing great news about a fantastic player is odd.
Yes because we've needed one for a long time now, Carrick is the only week in week out reliable CM we have, it's time to move on from the crutch of Scholes and Giggs in my opinion. City will only be stronger and more confident next season.

How do you cope with the club mistreating you so, must be horrible ::(:
I forgot about needing to be a fanboy sheep on here for things like this.

Delighted with this
We saw what he could bring, noone in the PL has his range of passing, and the way he passes it

It's excellent, he's going to be a big player for us next season

I guess I'm the only one that's not happy about this.
I guess I can see where you are coming from, but I'm certain there will be other opportunities, so the games he struggled in he shouldn't be needed, the games he plays can be picked and chosen a bit better, plus hopefully we won't have as bad a time of it with injuries

Siorac

I guess I'm the only one that's not happy about this.
I'd be really happy if we actually sorted out the midfield and used Scholes as a luxury player when the main midfielders need rest.

But, once again, it will be Scholes as the main man, with Anderson and Cleverley dicking around in the medical room, Fletcher watching on morosely from the stands because of his illness.

I still think Fergie's made his mind up: he's not going to sign a midfielder ever again. He might retire with Scholes and Giggs, leaving the rebuilding job to the next man. It'll be interesting to see if he can squeeze out one more respectable season from them...

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
If we use him smartly, he can be a great asset to the team. If it doesnt work out, he'll do a Neville, no doubt

Eriku

That tells you something about how hard it is to replace that sort of quality in centre mid. For all the talk of value and such, there is a truth to it. The price tags are huge, we've seen plenty of big buys go poop, and there aren't many top notch centre mids around. Fabregas, Xavi, Sneijder, Hamsik, we've done really well to value British centre mids instead because they've proven themselves in the UK, and they've got a reason to fancy Man Utd. It's not an easy market for us in some ways, that is clear, but at any rate I refuse to say that there could be anything like a tinge to the fact that I will be seeing Scholes for yet another season... I am savouring every minute of these two legends. Raúl got kicked out and still looks quality, Del Piero's situation is uncertain, Maldini's called it quits, and figures like Nevilles, Giggses and Scholeses are rare and wonderful as feck.

Chuffed, exclusively chuffed.

Eriku

We needed some good news. Football is okay again :)
Hah, it's true... I've totally gotten unstuck from the mire of the agonising sucker punch that was yesterday's finale :) I'm all smiley about football again.

Pleasant thing for me, as I was just watching that Scholes passing vid on youtube, and then checked facebook to see news posted about Scholes staying on.

Status
Not open for further replies.