Paul Scholes the pundit

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
There’s an obnoxiousness & cluelessness about British pundits that they all seem to have. I don’t get that same vibe from foreign pundits, even shit ones like Henry. The best punditry I’ve seen was from Van Persie, Seedorf & Cannevaro. Roy Keane is another that I like.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Crap pundit, in all honesty. Dull and mundane.

Thepinhead

He is starting to backtrack on Martial. Was starting to get tired of hearing him pushing us to sign Kane when it looks like we might have an even better number 9 already in Martial.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Scholes saying we've got 4 or 5 quality forward players a few weeks after saying Martial had us all fooled last year. Almost like it's everyone but Ole's fault.

Which is it Scholesy?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Scholes saying we've got 4 or 5 quality forward players a few weeks after saying Martial had us all fooled last year. Almost like it's everyone but Ole's fault.

Which is it Scholesy?
That was always going to be the case with these former players.
I expect Keano to come out with the "they're throwing Ole under the bus" next.

MattofManchester

According to Ferguson, Scholes was a player who could see everything, and analyze everything. The smartest player.

I just think Pundit-wise he let's emotion and bias cloud his judgment.

pascell

Which is it Scholesy?
Tbf tonight aside, Rashford, Greenwood, Bruno and Cavani make it 4 quality forward players.

Wayne's World

Out of all the Class of 92 crowd, the only one I have any respect for is David Beckham, We could be in the Championship and Gary Neville and Paul Scholes would say Ole is doing a good job

Smores

That was always going to be the case with these former players.
I expect Keano to come out with the "they're throwing Ole under the bus" next.
I actually thought him and Ferdinand were pretty damning on Ole today. They were blaming him far more than players they're just not direct because its a mate.

predator

Youth NITK
I thought he was anything but defending ole tonight. He said a few times that you don't know which united team are going to show up which is clearly a dig at the management is it not?

Bubz27

I thought he was anything but defending ole tonight. He said a few times that you don't know which united team are going to show up which is clearly a dig at the management is it not?
I'd just love Linekar to say "And who's responsibility is that?"

Because they're quick to name footballers but will only flirt around saying it's Ole's fault. Rio says "There's no plan." We'll who's fault is that? Maybe a manager who's had 24 months to take even one step in that direction?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Out of all the Class of 92 crowd, the only one I have any respect for is David Beckham, We could be in the Championship and Gary Neville and Paul Scholes would say Ole is doing a good job
If Becks was a pundit he'd probably tow the line too.

Posh Red

I'd just love Linekar to say "And who's responsibility is that?"

Because they're quick to name footballers but will only flirt around saying it's Ole's fault. Rio says "There's no plan." We'll who's fault is that? Maybe a manager who's had 24 months to take even one step in that direction?
To be fair I think it’s implied that’s the mangers issue surely? He’s responsible for said plan you would think

arnie_ni

Not sure how anyone thought he was defending ole.

He criticised him for the change of formation with no time to work on, for their style of play saying that even if we get a sporting director he wouldn't know what time of player to buy and saying it didn't look like the defense knew what they should be doing.

He was as damning as he could be without saying ole out.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain

Which is it Scholesy?
Martial can be a “quality forward” player without being a top CF.
I don’t remember Scholes wanting him gone or anything, he just prefers a proper CF (which I do as well despite liking Martial).

El Zoido

It’s fine that former players don’t lay in to their friend. Maybe they shouldn’t be on TV talking about United though. Also, the issues go deeper than the manager.

Web of Bissaka

According to Ferguson, Scholes was a player who could see everything, and analyze everything. The smartest player.

I just think Pundit-wise he let's emotion and bias cloud his judgment.
His genius level of sight and quick analyze skills are more instinct type than the analytical type.

Instinct type activated passively always when you're on the pitch.
Analytical type have to actively focus, scan everything and think when they're on the pitch. Plus side, they can also analyze their game when they're not playing

Players like Pirlo and Carrick are the latter type, Scholes type is rare but definitely Scholes have greater speed of thoughts when playing. It comes naturally comparing to the analytical type, much much slower.

Not surprising his punditry is just... so lame and lack good or even any attempt in analyzing.

Web of Bissaka

I actually thought him and Ferdinand were pretty damning on Ole today. They were blaming him far more than players they're just not direct because its a mate.

He criticised him for the change of formation with no time to work on, for their style of play saying that even if we get a sporting director he wouldn't know what time of player to buy and saying it didn't look like the defense knew what they should be doing.

:D Thank you for actually listening to their punditry this time and telling us how what their comments actually are.

Wonder why the others are saying they're defending Ole.

Tapori

He really was.

Red00012

Interesting how Scholes and Rio both had contrasting views on the Raoila comments

Needham

It's an accent issue. Imagine him after elocution lessons.

Dante

Average bang

Which is it Scholesy?
Martial isn't a centreforward. Scholes was right. Just watching Cavani play will tell you that.

Scholes has repeatedly praised Martial and he obviously considers him a quality forward player.

Dante

Average bang
Exactly. Scholes isn't the type to throw anyone under the bus. He'll point out footballing reasons for his negativity. But he never makes it personal, and usually says something positive at the same time to make it a bit less harsh.

Bubz27

Martial isn't a centreforward. Scholes was right. Just watching Cavani play will tell you that.

Scholes has repeatedly praised Martial and he obviously considers him a quality forward player.
Guess who said this.

“Is he a No.9 or is he a wide player? He’s turned himself into a No.9 every game I watch, more and more."

buckooo1978

Guess who said this.

“Is he a No.9 or is he a wide player? He’s turned himself into a No.9 every game I watch, more and more."
I guess he watched even more and more and changed his mind again

which he is perfectly entitled to do

Bubz27

I guess he watched even more and more and changed his mind again

which he is perfectly entitled to do
Or he's just being flippant? If Martial went on to score 20+ goals again would he be convinced again?

Dante

Average bang
Guess who said this.

Somebody who judges the player according to the evidence. And who is willing to re-assess his opinion when the evidence changes.

Bulldog United

The thing about Rooney is he's looking to get into management.
Just sayin'..... if you're reading this Woody..... :D

buckooo1978

Or he's just being flippant? If Martial went on to score 20+ goals again would he be convinced again?
you can score 20+ goals and not be a great number 9

maybe on the flippant point

personally I use my eyes and Cavani's movement and hold up play is far superior to Martial's in that role

I scoffed when some people like Roy Keane suggested the player we needed was Harry Kane as I am desperate for us to buy wide players particularly on the right

watching Kane develop into a fantastic 9 and a player who is dropping deep creating for his team mates makes you realise how right Keane was about Kane

with Martial and Rashford we are still talking potential to be great forwards - Martial just turned 25 I think as well so hoping we see him become the player he can be soon